• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Where can I listen to the theme from Hightail Falls Galaxy? The only versions on youtube have a bunch of game background noise on them. Is there no official version of this song available?

Also, where the hell is the slide song?! I NEED TO LISTEN TO IT.

BowieZ

Banned
Well, 80% of it can be heard in the new Iwata Ahaha-sks.

Try this link? If you translate the first page, it should be under "Mario songs arranged".

But both will be on the upcoming soundtrack release. I will personally do whatever it takes to open that case up in my hands and smell it. :lol

Forkball

BowieZ said:
Shame on Nintendo!

inorite. I'm all for a challenge, but some of the prankster comets vault over the line between challenging and frustrating/not fun. The bosses in this game are noticeably tougher, but I'm not complaining about them since the fights are actually interesting and fun. Kicking a bunch of spinies in 30 seconds with shitty obstacles everywhere isn't interesting or fun.

Also, I have to say that I'm pleased how they changed the lumas for the secret stars. In the first game, when they wanted star bits, they literally wanted every possible star bit you could find before you got to where the luma was. It was frustrating to dig up every single little star bit you could find. But I noticed that the lumas who want star bits (or coins) in this game want considerably less than in the original game, which is great since it is a bit more lax now.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Please tell me I don't have to do a
Flaming Gobblegut
daredevil run for battle belt galaxy's prankster comet. Please :(

cory

Banned
~30 stars in on Boswer Jr. level of 3rd world.
I haven't been challenged like this in a game since the first one.
Hardest so far was the Slide, I took about however many lives brings up the guide + 4 lives to do it.
Purple Coins version only took me 4 tries.

Zing

Banned
The "kill spinies with star power" level is easy if
you realize there are more stars in the level than you need, so you can safely grab the closest one before your current power runs out
. You should be able to do it in a couple tries.

85 Stars, getting challenged at times, but on the whole not bad.
Maybe because I'm awesome. Maybe because it's not terribly hard yet. Probably the latter.

Zing said:
The "kill spinies with star power" level is easy if
you realize there are more stars in the level than you need, so you can safely grab the closest one before your current power runs out
. You should be able to do it in a couple tries.

The hard part isn't running out of star power, it's running out of time. Plus bad controls get even worse when you grab the star. Plus the mud is just awful. And the Spinies are sometimes really hard to find. I actually wasted several lives looking for a part of the level I was missing because there was just one left and I could never find him. Turns out he was around, I just didn't see him like 3 times in a row. T___T

Thinking about my favorite music from this game, and this song is definitely up there, if not my absolute favorite. It's really incredible, especially the part of the game it plays in. I have a feeling it'll be somewhat overlooked, but I really do like it!

Alex

No remake please, Mario 64 is kinda junky now compared to the evolutions made over the years. It's cute in retro levels, but I'd rather just see the resources go to another new game, they have their designs in really good places at the moment.

One thing I really appreciate is the pacing, while the general level design and variety and polish has jumped so much over the past decade, the pacing being returned to basically classical status is what makes me most happy.

I would kind of like them to move on from the Galaxy/Gravity concepts though, next time. Though I think that's bound to happen.

autobzooty said:
The hard part isn't running out of star power, it's running out of time. Plus bad controls get even worse when you grab the star. Plus the mud is just awful. And the Spinies are sometimes really hard to find. I actually wasted several lives looking for a part of the level I was missing because there was just one left and I could never find him. Turns out he was around, I just didn't see him like 3 times in a row. T___T
You need to make the fastest route and do long jumps and spins to where you need to be

I am beginning to think people's definitions of "hard parts" are "I had to try a few times"

Alex

That one was pretty easy for me! I think it took me about three times? I seem to be having more problems on the oddball comets/galaxies than the normal things people are getting stuck on. :(

Why do they keep putting in trash-blowing-up/crate-blowing-up missions in these games.

Other than that though, my whole Super Mario Galaxy 2 experience (which pretty much amounts to the first five worlds) has been just that. An experience.

ShockingAlberto said:
You need to make the fastest route and do long jumps and spins to where you need to be

I am beginning to think people's definitions of "hard parts" are "I had to try a few times"

It took me like six tries and it was not fun. I'm not sure if I would call it hard, because it wasn't really hard in the traditional sense. Just frustrating and annoying.

Hard would be Tall Trunk Purple coins, Chomp Factory Cosmic Clones and
prankster comet on the Sunshine special stage level

These were all very hard and very fun!

Nose Master

You know, I saw the
Luigi's Purple Coins
star and dreaded it. Got it the second try. (With 2P stopping the platforms, not that it really helped significantly.) Hardest star?
Doubletime of the spinning rectangles. I think it's from Sunshine? Regardless, I kept not getting proper footing on the god damn angles. And when you jump from a slide position rather than a normal jump, you can't spin. Well, you spin, but don't get any height. So infuriating :lol

Nose Master said:
You know, I saw the
Luigi's Purple Coins
star and dreaded it. Got it the second try. (With 2P stopping the platforms, not that it really helped significantly.) Hardest star?
Doubletime of the spinning rectangles. I think it's from Sunshine? Regardless, I kept not getting proper footing on the god damn angles. And when you jump from a slide position rather than a normal jump, you can't spin. Well, you spin, but don't get any height. So infuriating :lol

it was a bitch, but I loved it. they offered a yoshi halfway through, but i didn't take it. i prefer the challenge!

Combine

Banned
Dammit, this may be old, but Nintendo filed a copyright claim against the OST on youtube and they took all the music down :(

At least, the channel that had most of the songs was taken down.

Feep

Banned
I needed to grind for Star Bits, and it turned out that the Spinning, Spinning, Spinning star in Twisty Trials Galaxy was the best way for quick bits. I became so incredibly good at that level. = D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
People found the dash pepper coins on starshine beach hard? That may have been the easiest purple coins I've ever done.

Also I just lost 35 lives on Double Time Silver Stars on Beat Block Galaxy. Holy shit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Double Time Beat Block wasn't that hard, come on guys. o_0 Dash Pepper was WAY harder.

Aaron Strife said:
Why do they keep putting in trash-blowing-up/crate-blowing-up missions in these games.

That's what I said. Those and some of the later stars are really just filler.

Miyamoto: Hey, we only have like 115 stars... Let's recycle that awful cleaning minigame from the first!
Iwata: (laughs)
Me: The hell.

HK-47 said:
Also I just lost 35 lives on Double Time Silver Stars on Beat Block Galaxy. Holy shit.
Nabs said:
just lost 24.

That one is pretty tough, just count out the beats and don't spin the Wiimote.
Just do a normal jump for each block. 1-2-JUMP....1-2-JUMP, etc.

They're fairly generous with checkpoints so once you get to the part where you collect
the star pieces, it's not that terrible. go towards the back there's a 1UP there and the purple blocks are safe havens so take a quick rest.

Love that galaxy though. Up to 87 starzzz now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the hilarious thing about Throwback is that it is the only time I ever had a problem with the camera.

it highlights how convenient the little stages in Galaxy are, and how intelligent EAD Tokyo have become.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hey I thought those bombing stars were awesome. You had to get it just right. It felt awesome when you did.

Also are we talking about the same dash pepper star? Is there more than one or something? Double Time Beat Block is a zillion times more difficult.

vazel

Banned
Wow at people losing dozens of lives at Double Time Silver Stars on Beat Block Galaxy. I only died once there. As mentioned don't do spin jumps, just do normal jumps.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HK-47 said:
Hey I thought those bombing stars were awesome. You had to get it just right. It felt awesome when you did.

Also are we talking about the same dash pepper star? Is there more than one or something? Double Time Beat Block is a zillion times more difficult.

Maybe if you got no rythm.
Cool01.gif

I personally think that
Throwback Galaxy should put an end to the arguments about whether Mario games have really evolved since 64. Were it not for the nostalgia factor it'd be easily the most sparse and one of the least exciting galaxies of the whole bunch.

We've come a long way.

Lijik

Andrex said:
Maybe if you got no rythm.
Cool01.gif
Not gonna lie, I was having a hell of a time at that star until I realized I should probably just time things to the metronome. Then I got it on the next try :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Andrex said:
I got that star, and cosmic queen never appeared, so there.

She didnt show up for Beat Block. How many lives do I have to lose lol?

I got Dash Pepper first try. =P

On the Flipville PC, are there any tips? Especially for get the circular group of coins in the upper right square?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of Canton said:
I personally think that
Throwback Galaxy should put an end to the arguments about whether Mario games have really evolved since 64. Were it not for the nostalgia factor it'd be easily the most sparse and one of the least exciting galaxies of the whole bunch.

We've come a long way.

Yeah, I think that was being discussed before SMG2 even released and we came to that conclusion (or at least, Amir0x did (something about Dire Dire Docks was posted), and I agreed with him.)

But even still, it's just a difference in design priorities. Most of Super Mario 64 is extremely open-ended. Most of the Super Mario Galaxies are extremely linear.

I think we can see in action today which is the superior approach to platformers.

HK-47 said:
She didnt show up for Beat Block. How many lives do I have to lose lol?

I got Dash Pepper first try. =P

On the Flipville PC, are there any tips? Especially for get the circular group of coins in the upper right square?

If you use the drill, it grabs a whole bunch of the coins around you that you otherwise can't get.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Andrex said:
Yeah, I think that was being discussed before SMG2 even released and we came to that conclusion (or at least, Amir0x did (something about Dire Dire Docks was posted), and I agreed with him.)

But even still, it's just a difference in design priorities. Most of Super Mario 64 is extremely open-ended. Most of the Super Mario Galaxies are extremely linear.

I think we can see in action today which is the superior approach to platformers.

I think there is merit to both. We havent seen a Galaxy with an open ended bend. I would very much like to play that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HK-47 said:
I think there is merit to both. We havent seen a Galaxy with an open ended bend. I would very much like to play that.

You have, it's called Super Mario 64, just without gravity tricks.

By default, most of the time in open-ended games, you're not doing anything - you're waiting to do something, or on your way to trigger a way to do something. Most of Sunshine and all of the Galaxy games take that away, so you're constantly being pushed into the next thing.

It's why IMO BowieZ's idea for a Mario game is absolutely terrible, but that's a bit of a digression.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Andrex said:
You have, it's called Super Mario 64, just without gravity tricks.

By default, most of the time in open-ended games, you're not doing anything - you're waiting to do something, or on your way to trigger a way to do something. Most of Sunshine and all of the Galaxy games take that away, so you're constantly being pushed into the next thing.

It's why IMO BowieZ's idea for a Mario game is absolutely terrible, but that's a bit of a digression.

But Sunshine is open ended much of the time. You can often go for multiple stars. I dont think SM64 or Sunshine are perfect. I think that style has a lot of room for improvement that no one is really bothering with.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sorry for saying enis, I should have said weiner

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HK-47 said:
But Sunshine is open ended much of the time. You can often go for multiple stars. I dont think SM64 or Sunshine are perfect. I think that style has a lot of room for improvement that no one is really bothering with.

I would rather them not muss up the great thing they have going with Galaxy.

Could an open-ended platformer be fun? Sure I guess. As fun as Galaxy? Probably not, but who knows? I just don't want Mario to regress.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
one of the least fun bits of Galaxy 2 was that Beach level when you had to run across (relatively) large distances doing nothing. it proved to me that the current formula is very much progression from the 64/BK style, not just an alternative. Is there room for that type of game? Yeah, I'd like to play a game like that, but I'd rather not see it in the current line of 3D Mario games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rez said:
one of the least fun bits of Galaxy was that Beach level when you had to run across large distances doing nothing. it proved to me that the current formula is very much progression from the 64/BK style, not just an alternative. Is there room for that type of game? Yeah, but I'd rather not see in the current line of 3D Mario games.

Starshine Beach was awesome. You know whats not awesome? Lack of slide for quick movement.

Hell SMG had a bunch of really good stages that were structured like SMS.

Top Bottom