• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
impirius said:
The last yellow comet star... aahahahahahahahaha

Mario games are the best for making you feel like a champ
The last stretch in particular: jump, spin, ohshit madeit, jump spin, ohshit madeit, jump, spin..

Fimbulvetr said:
Forget it. We'll never solve this mystery without post history being available.

On topic: Why does Nintendo give me fences to jump if they're just gonna put black holes behind them?
Hahaha I was wondering the same thing about the fences until I realized that they weren't meant to be jumped :-/

Forkball

I just beat the game, and I have to say
why did they give Bowser such shitty boss fights in both Galaxy games? Compare the absolutely epic final fight in NSMB Wii to any Galaxy Bowser fight and it's laughable. But zomg Rosalina.

Branduil

The only problem with the
Bowser boss fights
is they repeat the same fight over and over instead of completely changing it up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
-PXG- said:
Oh no. I already beat it this morning with my girlfriend (she was P2). It was just a pain in the ass. I would either die before getting the last coin or die trying to get to the star :lol I was playing as Luigi too. Some times (during the star animation) he would randomly slide off the green blocks, thus, resulting in him falling to his death, with no way of me preventing it from happening.

Umm then dont play with Luigi? He has worse traction than Mario.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Branduil said:
Bowser boss fights
is they repeat the same fight over and over instead of completely changing it up.
Welcome to every 3D mario game that not Sunshine (which only had the final battle). The bosses in general could have used more difficulty and even some more stark pattern changes,
especially Bowser. That final sequence in the void was over so quickly...didnt even get to hear the music.

Branduil said:
Bowser boss fights

It's not like the Mario series has a tradition of good Bowser fights, though. I know it's still worth complaining about, because they really aren't that hard (still cool though), but let's think about it:

SMB: Run under him.
SMB3: Run under him a few times.
SMW: Probably the coolest one, taking the most skill. Fire off his mecha-Bowsers to hit him in his airship.
SM64: Spin him into a bomb. Three times.
SMS:...I don't even remember this one, so it probably sucked.
SMG: Spin-hit him a few times.

If you ask me, Galaxy 2's method of fighting Bowser is the coolest since SMW.

Salsa

Doorman said:
I think this is a good way to sum up my opinion for right now as well. The game feels less epic in everything but the actual playing through levels part, which is fantastic. I know that some of it is just the fact that you can't "wow" someone with the galaxy/gravity concept twice in a row, but for as much as people have made the point that story isn't important in Mario games, I do miss some of the tone that the first Galaxy carried. Maybe that's part of why the ending cinematic actually left me pleasantly surprised.

For playing purposes I like the faceship, but I also appreciated the feel of the comet observatory a little more, and the fact that they actually gave it a bit of backstory. I felt the same way about the storybook and the very end of Galaxy, with the Toad Brigade's promotion. I guess since I'm a fan of those little things that further enrich the Mario universe, I appreciated the amount of stuff they introduced, even if most of it got backstepped on for Galaxy 2. Sorry Lubba, but Rosalina is just a way more interesting sidekick character to have around.

Yep. I agree. The little backstory they introduced in the first one somehow made the ending really special for me, even though it was the same old thing. For example watching Mario spinning hand to hand with the princess really got to me in some sort of nostalgic way. This time not so much. this game is more fun and polished, but i liked the first one`s backstory a lot more. Lubba sucks.

Like i said, no need for comparision, i love both games and plan on replaying them for a long time.

DeathbyVolcano said:
It's not like the Mario series has a tradition of good Bowser fights, though. I know it's still worth complaining about, because they really aren't that hard (still cool though), but let's think about it:

SMW: Probably the coolest one, taking the most skill. Fire off his mecha-Bowsers to hit him in his airship.

Hot tub battle.

I also liked Yoshi's Island with him running at you from the background. I hated that battle so much as a kid. The music and how close he would get scared me. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jive Turkey said:
Which was so much fun. I loved the last minute saves available with the rocket nozzle.

High five. I really liked that battle despite the goofiness. Rocket nozzle ftw.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DeathbyVolcano said:

NSMBW: OMG WTF ARGH

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SalsaShark said:
Yep. I agree. The little backstory they introduced in the first one somehow made the ending really special for me, even though it was the same old thing. For example watching Mario spinning hand to hand with the princess really got to me in some sort of nostalgic way. This time not so much. this game is more fun and polished, but i liked the first one`s backstory a lot more. Lubba sucks.

Like i said, no need for comparision, i love both games and plan on replaying them for a long time.

Plant me in that camp too. SMG1 felt like a full game, complete with a story that although well-worn, was also well-done. As I said before, the opening and ending cutscenes for the first were really, really well done and I miss that in SMG2.
Rosalina showing up made me think of her Mario Kart appearance, not her role in the first game because of how they did it.

Koizumi should have stayed director.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the story was tacky and forced in the first game. the little bit in this game is still too much.

NSMBW had it just about perfect.

smoke it

you people probably fucking complained about mario 64 being bad because of the letter at the beginning and mario getting a cake at the end

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EmCeeGramr said:
you people probably fucking complained about mario 64 being bad because of the letter at the beginning and mario getting a cake at the end

I really wished they had just put in scene skip after the first time. It would have been fine if they did. Also an auto retry for stuff like races or chimp challenges.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
christ, this last last level I just unlocked is hard

Salsa

EmCeeGramr said:

Nah dude, its just that at this point they can really work the nostalgia with Mario (even a little more than with throwback galaxy), nothing wrong with pulling some heart strings with a little backstory and good placed music. First Mario Galaxy felt more.. orchestrated.

Its still not a complaint though, its really all about the gameplay and this game fucking delivers.

SalsaShark said:
Nah dude, its just that at this point they can really work the nostalgia with Mario, nothing wrong with pulling some heart strings with a little backstory and good placed music. First Mario Galaxy felt more.. orchestrated.
No, that's what I was saying. People probably complained about the letter at the beginning and cutscene at the end being too much story.

ShockingAlberto said:
You didn't really fight Bowser, though

You fled and fought your friends to see who could get the helicopter hat, because that person would survive.

Or you died and your friend chose that exact fucking moment to go bubble because he's a goddamned moron.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the only cutscene that really bothers me is the last one. I can watch them once, it's fine, I'm not going to go all whiny baby over it for no good reason, but when I replay the final Bowser level, get the star after the boss -- which is clearly transparent, telling me that the game realises that I have bet the game before -- and then have to watch the last cutscene and credits again, even though I could skip every previous Bowser pre-boss cutscene before it.

Lame. Super, super lame. I mean, the A button advances text bubbles in those cutscenes, so I take it making it the 'skip' button as well might be confusing, but I don't know, chuck the skip button on '-' or something.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I will say it's nice that Mario won't see complaints of Sonic-ification, with the hub world and grand story axed. I just think Galaxy 1 did it well, which was a big surprise to me. The storybook sections? OK, that was a bit forced and heavy-handed, and out of place, but it was not only optional, I think it grounded you in between levels. So when you are soaring through skies, you have some perspective and it makes it so much better. But this is all my opinion.

Skiesofwonder said:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii had the best Bowser fight ever.

I didn't think it was all that great. I think all the Wii Mario game final boss battles are about equal (there should have been a third section for the NSMBW one, and the second part shouldn't have lasted as long if it wanted to clearly take the cake), but SMG1 gets props for having it within an actual sun.

Salsa

EmCeeGramr said:
No, that's what I was saying. People probably complained about the letter at the beginning and cutscene at the end being too much story.

Oh sorry.

I actually think that the no-story rule suits 2D mario games a bit more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
Or you died and your friend chose that exact fucking moment to go bubble because he's a goddamned moron.
ShockingAlberto said:

You fled and fought your friends to see who could get the helicopter hat, because that person would survive.
Oh man, so many awesome memories.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
ShockingAlberto said:

That's what made it awesome though.

Also the fact that when we beat Bowser part 1 we were all like "That's it?!?!? Figures..." then we went to grab Peach and HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK RUN RUN RUN!!!!

Thank god I didn't spoil that part before hand. Priceless.

By the way, it's also the most challenging Bowser end fight in a mario game (for me at least). I still have trouble making it to the end without at least dying once or twice.

I thought that the SMG2 end fight was mad easy. Did it on my first try.
Maybe it's because I'm a more seasoned Mario player after SMG1, but I remember dying a good amount on the first game's end fight.

At 117 Stars. These last couple are pretty tough cookies.

Could someone point me in the direction of the comet medal for Starshine Beach Galaxy? I have every comet medal with the exception of this one and have spent the last half-hour looking for it. :( I'm sure It's probably somewhere I've passed by 10 times already, but I still can't find it.

edit- nvm

11 hours and 17 minutes later (according to the letter it posts on the message board) I've collected 90 stars and beat Bowser the zillionth
(third)
time. I've got a feeling that the best is yet to come.

<3 Excellent game so far!

Hiltz

Got around 40 stars at the moment about to go to world 5 soon.

It was a pleasant surprise to hear the
Haunted House theme
from Super Mario World.

Based on what I've played through so far, I've really liked almost all of the bosses from the sequel except for
the same Bugaboom boss. Well, that and how Bowser's fights all seem to be recycled.
In the first game, I only found Bouldergeist and the Bowser fights to be worthwhile.

In terms of music, I still have yet to hear tracks that can match or surpass the brilliance of SMG 1's Good Egg, Gusty Garden, Buoy Base, and Bowser's Battle chorus theme. I still really like SMG 2's soundtrack, but so far Puzzle Plank and Bowser's castle themes are the only ones that remain epic and memorable to me, at least so far.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Skiesofwonder said:
That's what made it awesome though.

Also the fact that when we beat Bowser part 1 we were all like "That's it?!?!? Figures..." then we went to grab Peach and HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK RUN RUN RUN!!!!

Thank god I didn't spoil that part before hand. Priceless.

By the way, it's also the most challenging Bowser end fight in a mario game (for me at least). I still have trouble making it to the end without at least dying once or twice.

Really? It was exactly as easy for me as Galaxy 2's, and only marginally harder than alaxy 1's. But maybe that's because I kick more ass at 2D Mario than 3D. (I basically grew up with SMW and Yoshi's Island, and All-Stars, and Wario Land. I never even played any of the 3D Marios until I got a DS and M64DS, and I didn't even beat that until right before Galaxy came out.)

wRATH2x

Banned
Andrex said:
Really? It was exactly as easy for me as Galaxy 2's, and only marginally harder than alaxy 1's. But maybe that's because I kick more ass at 2D Mario than 3D. (I basically grew up with SMW and Yoshi's Island, and All-Stars, and Wario Land. I never even played any of the 3D Marios until I got a DS and M64DS, and I didn't even beat that until right before Galaxy came out.)
o_O

Skiesofwonder

Andrex said:

Yeah then it's probably because I am the exact opposite. I kick-ass more at the 3D Mario games. I grew up on Mario 64 and 3D gaming but later went back to 2D Mario so it has taken awhile for me to learn all the in-and-outs of 2D gaming.

For instance, I have 100% completed SM64, SM64DS, SMG, and soon SMG2. The only 2D Mario I can say that about is NSMBDS. 2D Mario is just harder for me.

On a side note, Mario games are pretty much the only games I ever 100% complete.

Teknoman

Just got to world 5, but now im wondering how world 5 map goes from an
even further out view of the universe, showing the different galaxies, to world 6, which looks like a black hole
Guess i'll find out when I beat world 5 boss.

Also as far as difficulty goes, i've actually died a few times at bosses, usually from dumb mistakes, but still more than Galaxy 1.

loosus

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Good job. Just by making this post, you have insinuated that you realize that the storylines of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are much different in length -- and why some people might just be bothered by the storyline in Galaxy 2 and not Mario 64. Quite a paradox considering that you just suggested that those crazies who think the storyline in Galaxy 2 is too much might think the same about Mario 64, despite your own insinuation that the two storylines are considerably different in length.

This is basically what you said: "LOLOLOL you're complaining because it took 45 minutes for your food to come out out the kitchen? bet you would complain if it took 5 minutes, too!!!!! lolz" Of course, nobody would complain about 5 minutes because 5 minutes is worlds away from 45.

Might wanna think before hitting that "Submit" button next time. :)

Skiesofwonder said:
On a side note, Mario games are pretty much the only games I ever 100% complete.

Same for me, actually. I was just thinking about it earlier how completing a Mario game seems more... expected than it does with most other franchises. Super Mario 64 is the reason my friend and I had to define the distinction between beating a game and completing a game back when we were 8 or 9 years old.

loosus said:
Good job. Just by making this post, you have insinuated that you realize that the storylines of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are much different in length -- and why some people might just be bothered by the storyline in Galaxy 2 and not Mario 64. Quite a paradox considering that you just suggested that those crazies who think the storyline in Galaxy 2 is too much might think the same about Mario 64, despite your own insinuation that the two storylines are considerably different in length.

This is basically what you said: "LOLOLOL you're complaining because it took 45 minutes for your food to come out out the kitchen? bet you could complain if it took 5 minutes, too!!!!! lolz" Of course, nobody would complain about 5 minutes because 5 minutes is worlds away from 45.

Might wanna think before hitting that "Submit" button next time. :)

has finally stopped feigning literacy

again

loosus

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
What the fuck are you talking about. You just read my post in the exact opposite way that any human being would read it.

We all know you can't read posts, so don't pretend you can.
Yeah, I wouldn't bother responding, either.

Skiesofwonder

Can we at least all agree that Bowser Jr.'s Boomsday Machine A.K.A Cloud Mario Boss Fight is the best SMG2 boss fight?

Top Bottom