• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Teknoman said:
Just got to world 5, but now im wondering how world 5 map goes from an
even further out view of the universe, showing the different galaxies, to world 6, which looks like a black hole
Guess i'll find out when I beat world 5 boss.

Also as far as difficulty goes, i've actually died a few times at bosses, usually from dumb mistakes, but still more than Galaxy 1.

Well Bowser mentions at the beginning thats he is going to the heart of the universe. And the black hole is probably taken from the fact that galaxies IRL have a supermassive black hole in their center, so by Mario logic the heart of the universe must have the biggest black hole ever.

Salsa

Skiesofwonder said:
Can we at least all agree that Bowser Jr.'s Boomsday Machine A.K.A Cloud Mario Boss Fight is the best SMG2 boss fight?

Hardest for me, cant really remember dying but it took me a while.

Skiesofwonder said:
Can we at least all agree that Bowser Jr.'s Boomsday Machine A.K.A Cloud Mario Boss Fight is the best SMG2 boss fight?

It reminded me of Banjo-Tooie for some reason. It's definitely one of my favorites. I also like the boss fight with the fat bug-thing in Flipsville. SMG 2 had a lot of good boss fights if you ask me. They really stand out in comparison to the
SMG1 boss run in the 7th world

Salsa

I actually remember now. Thought i wasnt going to make it, already collected all the coins and was at 1 health, and BAM last two hits without getting touched. Felt badass.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
SalsaShark said:
Hardest for me, cant really remember dying but it took me a while.

Really?
GobbleGut (the fire dragon version)
is the only one I can remember having a problem with.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
It reminded me of Banjo-Tooie for some reason. It's definitely one of my favorites. I also like the boss fight with the fat bug-thing in Flipsville. SMG 2 had a lot of good boss fights if you ask me. They really stand out in comparison to the
SMG1 boss run in the 7th world.

Double agreed. It did have a Banjo & Kazooie feel and that Galaxy mentioned in the spoiler tags is the worst in the game (IMO)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Skiesofwonder said:
Really?

Double agreed. It did have a Banjo & Kazooie feel and that Galaxy mentioned in the spoiler tags is the worst in the game (IMO)

Dont spoil the surprise lol.

Salsa

Skiesofwonder said:
GobbleGut (the fire dragon version) is the only one I can remember having a problem with.

Easy as pie for me. It really is a random thing for some people, as i said earlier none of them are actually hard, it just depends on the way you play 3D mario games i guess.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Skiesofwonder said:

Yes.

That touches on my other large complaint of SMG2 in comparison to SMG1, though. I didn't like any of the other boss battles, except for the final one and that one. I also didn't like most of the boss designs.

Skiesofwonder said:
Really?

I kind of liked it. It was unexpected. I'd really like to see what it would be like to run into that galaxy from the perspective of someone who's never
played Galaxy 1 before

I was really hoping for a SOTC style boss battle with a Bowser so big that he was a planet and you ran around on him style battle, that would have been awesome.

well i just went back through the thread and read a certain special someone's posts and now i'm terrified

because i'm imagining an 8-year-old with a gigantic frown (like, his frown goes beyond his jowls) screaming in rage until his lungs bleed as king bob-omb speaks

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BuddhaRockstar said:
I was really hoping for a SOTC style boss battle with a Bowser so big that he was a planet and you ran around on him style battle, that would have been awesome.

Yeah I was disappointed with the lack of Megaleg type battles.

BuddhaRockstar said:
This would have been neat.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BuddhaRockstar said:

Galaxy 1 did that except it wasn't a boss, it was Mecha-Bowser and it was awesome.

Skiesofwonder

Andrex said:
Yes.

That touches on my other large complaint of SMG2 in comparison to SMG1, though. I didn't like any of the other boss battles, except for the final one and that one. I also didn't like most of the boss designs.

Meh. While I agree I like the designs better in SMG, I think the boss fights were much more memorable in SMG2
(Gobblegut, Cloud Mario Fight, Armadillo, Ice skating, yoshi battle, and of course bowser)

@ OrangeGrayBlue: Would of been better, but I just hate the format of
Boss Blitzes

@ SaslaShark: Screw just another boss battle. Yoshi Island Wii NEEDS to happen. Yoshi controls so good on Wii.

Buddharockstar said:
I was really hoping for
a SOTC style boss battle with a Bowser so big that he was a planet and you ran around on him style battle,
that would have been awesome.

God yes. I was so hoping it would end that way. :(

Salsa

Andrex said:
Galaxy 1 did that except it wasn't a boss, it was Mecha-Bowser and it was awesome.

I loved that Galaxy SO freaking much. From the unexpected music to all the stars being awesome. Six of them as well.

Skiesofwonder

Andrex said:

Oh shit, I almost forgot about that one. that was BY FAR my favorite boss fight of SMG. In fact that was so awesome I just might take my statement back about liking SMG2 bosses over SMG.

Nah.

Still awesome though. :D

I have 119 stars now. Anyone else get a bittersweet feeling when they get this far in the newest Mario game? It's like the feeling of graduating high school but on a (slightly) smaller scale.

Salsa

OrangeGrayBlue said:
I have 119 stars now. Anyone else get a bittersweet feeling when they get this far in the newest Mario game? It's like the feeling of graduating high school but on a (slightly) smaller scale.

It happens at the last boss fight. I always go for %100 percent. And it doesnt necesarelly feel like stretching or anything, but the feeling you are mentioning comes with the last boss fight.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SalsaShark said:
I loved that Galaxy SO freaking much. From the unexpected music to all the stars being awesome. Six of them as well.

Yup.

I'm having a hard time remembering a galaxy in SMG2 I liked as much as Toy Time, Sea Slide, and Buoy Base. Heck, all of the Engine Room's galaxies were awesome.

But that may be because galaxies in SMG2 are capped at four stars max. It's harder to remember them. I do really love Boo Moon and Supermassive though. Both are underused, however. They should have fleshed each galaxy out more instead of resorting to the cleaning stars and most of World
S
though.

SalsaShark said:
It happens at the last boss fight. I always go for %100 percent. And it doesnt necesarelly feel like stretching or anything, but the feeling you are mentioning comes with the last boss fight.

That's where it hits me in most games, but in Mario games it always hits me hard once I get that very last star.

Skiesofwonder

OrangeGrayBlue said:

I feel the saddest when I beat a console Zelda because I know I'll have to wait 5 years before I play another one.

I see Mario in enough good games frequently to where it's not such a big deal. But yeah I know what you mean.

Salsa

I wanted more mixed-powerup galaxies. They were all pretty much one-powerup based. Last Bowser Galaxy was awesome for doing this.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
That's where it hits me in most games, but in Mario games it always hits me hard once I get that very last star.

It goes pretty much like this for me: Beat the last boss fight, think "aww its "over" already", keep playing for %100 percent completition, and feel happy being capable of still play new content in the game, so when i get the last star, im pretty satisfied. I guess that`s what they are going for, and it works :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Branduil said:
I hated that fight.

Megahammer was pretty fun.

I didn't like the design but I liked the fight, primarily because of Yoshi.

They should have let you use Yoshi in any level. :/ However I don't feel that burn in SMG2 as much as I did in NSMBW. Man, that would have made me instantly love it as much as World if they did that.

Aeana

Andrex said:
I'm having a hard time remembering a galaxy in SMG2 I liked as much as Toy Time, Sea Slide, and Buoy Base. Heck, all of the Engine Room's galaxies were awesome.
I'm having this problem, too. As much as I loved SMG2 as a whole, starting it up now and going through the galaxies, not a single one stands out to me as one I like so much I want to replay. This is in contrast to both SMG1 and NSMB Wii where I would turn both games on for weeks after I did everything in them just to play specific levels. I'm not sure exactly why this is, because as I was actually playing SMG2, I was thinking about how much more variety SMG2 has than 1. But then, maybe that's it. So much variety, but it's all very short-lived before you're on to the next thing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aeana said:
I'm having this problem, too. As much as I loved SMG2 as a whole, starting it up now and going through the galaxies, not a single one stands out to me as one I like so much I want to replay. This is in contrast to both SMG1 and NSMB Wii where I would turn both games on for weeks after I did everything in them just to play specific levels. I'm not sure exactly why this is, because as I was actually playing SMG2, I was thinking about how much more variety SMG2 has than 1. But then, maybe that's it. So much variety, but it's all very short-lived before you're on to the next thing.

Yes, I agree. That's not to say I don't like any of them, but it's hard to settle on one to replay. I like Yoshi Star, I like Boo Moon, I like SuperMassive, I like Cloudy Court, Flipswap, Hightail Falls, Freezy Flake, Flashback, Melty Molten, Slimy Spring but I don't feel a burning passionate love for them. Or even remember them well, I had to look on Mario Wiki to remember the latter half.

Yet. Maybe I should give Galaxy 2 more time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Aeana said:

Right. You never get to really know or explore a galaxy like the ones in Galaxy 1, where I felt each theme and concept was utilized to its fullest. Supermassive in particular felt so small despite everything being so big. There are no new paths that reveal themselves in later stars like with Galaxy 1. Nearly every stage felt like Matter Splatter or Drip Drop Galaxy in 1. They felt like great proof of concepts. I mean you really couldnt do another Twisty Trials or Space Storm level? Use Boo Mario more than once? Where are the sling pods, pull stars and bubble blowing?

Lol Andrex, its Melty Monster. Molten is the Galaxy 1 lava level.

Salsa

To mix things up. Do you guys want Galaxy 3 ? or want Nintendo to go on a different direction ? (not sure where do they go from here..)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SalsaShark said:
To mix things up. Do you guys want Galaxy 3 ? or want Nintendo to go on a different direction ? (not sure where do they go from here..)

More Galaxy. They have no where else to go. Galaxy established the anything goes mentality and I think they should stick with it. Maybe change the name but there are tons of concept of the top of my head that could provide new challenges, plus stuff they have already done that could be utilized more.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HK-47 said:
Right. You never get to really know or explore a galaxy like the ones in Galaxy 1, where I felt each theme and concept was utilized to its fullest. Supermassive in particular felt so small despite everything being so big. There are no new paths that reveal themselves in later stars like with Galaxy 1. Nearly every stage felt like Matter Splatter or Drip Drop Galaxy in 1. They felt like great proof of concepts. I mean you really couldnt do another Twisty Trials or Space Storm level? Use Boo Mario more than once? Where are the sling pods, pull stars and bubble blowing?

Lol Andrex, its Melty Monster. Molten is the Galaxy 1 lava level.

Oh yeah. :lol

And I completely agree. In SMG2 there was never really a galaxy like HoneyHive or Sea Slide, which were both massive in size and used to the fullest. Maybe use a little too much... 5 stars would probably be the sweet spot for me personally.

SalsaShark said:

I want Galaxy 3, but I want the levels to be bigger. Maybe not in terms of square meters or whatever, but the stuff that felt one-off in Galaxy 2 should maybe integrate with a different galaxy's theme.

Like in SMG1, Beach Bowl had what is Stone Cyclone in this game. Stuff like that extends a galaxy's usage.

Oh and no recycling galaxies or bosses. And put Koizumi back as director. And when you select Yoshi in a hub, you should be able to start a galaxy with him.

Salsa

I want Koopalings, and maybe Wario.
But i like Regulus Tera`s thought of doing something else and then returning to Galaxy. Would be a first for Nintendo but so was doing another 3D mario on the same console. So no boundaries now !

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SalsaShark said:
I want Koopalings, and maybe Wario.

I don't think Koopalings would work. Keep them 2D where they belong.

It would be interesting to see Wario, even if it's just a cameo. Maybe not have him as the villain, but maybe you need to collect coins for him to give you a star, or race him, or something.

A WarioWorld-themed level (his mansion) would be pretty cool to see, like Flash Back but with crazy gravity effects.

Salsa

And if we are gonna get picky i want the long-awaited fan service game with long forgotten faces making a return. You know im talking about Wart and the likes, itll never happen since it was smb 2 US whatever, but there are other characters and it would be so unexpected it would blow minds.

Maybe galaxies based upon previous mario games specifically, with characters and mechanics returning. Think of an extended
Throwback galaxy

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SalsaShark said:
And if we are gonna get picky i want the long-awaited fan service game with long forgotten faces making a return. You know im talking about Wart and the likes, itll never happen, but it would be so unexpected it would blow our minds.

I was so surprised by the mecha-koopas in SMG1 and the lava hippos in SMG2 so anything's possible.

Unfortunately I don't think Miyamoto even remembers SMB2 American. And if he does he probably doesn't consider it "canon." Not only that, he's tied to Japan which (I think) never even got that game, so it'd be hard to explain to them where they came from. Not a big deal to you or me but it isn't likely to happen.

Salsa

Andrex said:
Unfortunately I don't think Miyamoto even remembers SMB2 American. And if he does he probably doesn't consider it "canon." Not only that, he's tied to Japan which (I think) never even got that game, so it'd be hard to explain to them where they came from. Not a big deal to you or me but it isn't likely to happen.

Stealth edit right before your post :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SalsaShark said:
And if we are gonna get picky i want the long-awaited fan service game with long forgotten faces making a return. You know im talking about Wart and the likes, itll never happen since it was smb 2 US whatever, but it would be so unexpected it would blow our minds.

Maybe galaxies based upon previous mario games specifically, with characters and mechanics returning.

A Subcon Galaxy would be cool.

Also was anyone else massively disappointed that Twisty Trials didnt have the Sunshine secret stage theme?

SalsaShark said:
The linear 3D platformer is great, and there is certainly more variety they could get out of it but I'd like to see another attempt at more open platforming like Super Mario Sunshine.

A few pages back I mentioned wanting something like Sly 2. Several open hub areas (but I'd want them to be larger and much more complex) with linear platforming levels that break off it. Not exactly sure how progression would work though. Using stars to progress may lead to people only playing the linear or open stars.

Basically, I want to be able to make my own path more often. SMS supported this to an extent, but too much of it was coin related (blue, red).

I want Galaxy 3, but just do away with the space motif. You can even sense in Galaxy 2 that being in outer space is being used less. It's no longer needed to make the player understand why the games mechanics work the way they do. Just stick with the anything goes method and run from there. Personally, I think Galaxy 2's method of having tons of small levels works brilliantly. This is definitely the closest I've felt to playing a 2D mario in a 3D mario and I, for one, think that's good. Don't get me wrong, Super Mario 64 is one of the greatest games ever, but Galaxy 2 has a very pick-up-and-go feel that the others don't have as much. SMG2 provides more instant satisfaction than the others.

And I think the reason galaxies in SMG2 may not be standing out as much is, honestly, because so many are good. Freezy Flake, Shiverburn, Melty Monster, Sweet Treat, any boss level... it goes on and on. Only a handful of galaxies in the game didn't blow me away.

edit- as for areas to improve... I can really only ask for more of what's already working. Some more throwback levels would be an obvious hit. And, frankly, I don't think expanding beyond the 120 star formula would be bad. Why not make it 150? You can already tell with the recent trend that Nintendo really wants to make their Mario games bigger, so I say they should do it in a more direct way. With all the features in Galaxy... I can't really think of other things that I would want that wouldn't be completely silly...

Andrex said:
I was so surprised by the mecha-koopas in SMG1 and the lava hippos in SMG2 so anything's possible.

How do you explain the Shyguys then?

Salsa

Fawful fits this game like a glove. I know it could get a little messy if we start bringin characters that are exclusive from other Mario-games, but maybe with the selected galaxies for each game i mentioned earlier. This is after all the BIG Mario game. They can get away with this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AzureNightmare said:
How do you explain the Shyguys then?

ShyGuys were immediately canonized in Yoshi's Island. But who knows, anything could happen in a Mario game. I was even humoring the rumor Sonic would be playable for a very, very short amount of time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
OrangeGrayBlue said:
I want Galaxy 3, but just do away with the space motif. You can even sense in Galaxy 2 that being in outer space is being used less. It's no longer needed to make the player understand why the games mechanics work the way they do. Just stick with the anything goes method and run from there. Personally, I think Galaxy 2's method of having tons of small levels works brilliantly. This is definitely the closest I've felt to playing a 2D mario in a 3D mario and I, for one, think that's good. Don't get me wrong, Super Mario 64 is one of the greatest games ever, but Galaxy 2 has a very pick-up-and-go feel that the others don't have as much. SMG2 provides more instant satisfaction than the others.

And I think the reason galaxies in SMG2 may not be standing out as much is, honestly, because so many are good. Freezy Flake, Shiverburn, Melty Monster, Sweet Treat, any boss level... it goes on and on. Only a handful of galaxies in the game didn't blow me away.

No thats not it, because pretty much every 6 star galaxy in 1 was amazingly memorable. They feel more like single stage than an area like they did in 1.

Top Bottom