• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

AniHawk

balladofwindfishes said:
Between Luigi and Yoshi, you can clear most of the jumps without landing on a platform. Also between flutter jump, spinning and betrayal jump, you have three ways to "stall" until a platform appears under you. At the very end, Luigi can just jump on solid platforms, almost completely skipping the flips. All but one of the silver stars is located in a long jumps distance from eachother, so you can just hop from solid to solid and only have to land on a flip once, maybe twice.

betrayal jump :lol

i like how so many of the post-120 challenges make you use it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rez said:
that'll teach me not too avoid empty crystals (which I assumed were coins)

that is, if I hasn't finished the game already

oh god I feel so empty

Play Galaxy 1. Thats what I'm doing after this. Though I dunno if I'm gonna do a Mario/Luigi run. I dont care for all the repeat stars but Cosmic Luigi is among the most fun stars.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It just got to me how the Fire Flower is the only timed Mario power-up in Galaxy 2 (aside from Starman, which has always been timed for obvious reasons). It feels a bit out of place when I look at how the other powers were used and is such a missed opportunity, I'd have loved if its mechanics were similar to Yoshi's tongue, using the pointer instead of aiming with the analog stick.

This blows Galaxy 1 away for me. Levels are far more interesting and the added variety only helps things. Why couldn't they do this the first time around? It's even fun to waste time running around the little hub area for some reason. Also, Fluffly Bluff is my new vacation spot. :)

Allright, so my wife and I got 120 over the weekend.

I can now confidently say that this is the best platformer and is right up there with the best games I've ever played. I have no idea how they managed to keep this game fun and fresh star after star. Amazing.

AniHawk

TheLastCandle said:
Allright, so my wife and I got 120 over the weekend.

I can now confidently say that this is the best platformer and is right up there with the best games I've ever played. I have no idea how they managed to keep this game fun and fresh star after star. Amazing.

You're not even done.

Johnas

I am really surprised by how fun the
green star challenge
is.

Yesterday I finished the main game, and had planned on just getting one or two for now just to see how they were implemented, and I ended up playing the entire rest of the day and getting
of them over two sessions.

I love how they make you really explore and think outside the box on some of them.

Nicktals

Banned
Watched that shortcut video, and there were some sweet ones (surprised at how many I had actually done myself though). They did a weak one on shiverburn though. If you get the cloud power up, you can just turn right back around (to where you started the level) and skip to the end of the "fire cyclinder" part. Right onto a 1-up too!

I'm talking about the section where the stone slabs come out of the big ball of fire, and you have to leap from slab to slab. I don't remember how much it actually cuts out of the level, but it's still pretty slick.

Jaruru

evilromero said:
This blows Galaxy 1 away for me. Levels are far more interesting and the added variety only helps things. Why couldn't they do this the first time around? It's even fun to waste time running around the little hub area for some reason. Also, Fluffly Bluff is my new vacation spot. :)

I always jump around in hub while pressing the Z button. :D

Magnus

Anyone else find they can only do about 3 or 4 stars at a time and then burn out for the day? I don't know what it is. I love the game to death, and definitely did more than just 4 stars in the first couple of days (have 78 right now), but I can't do this in long stretches for some reason.

Also, any votes yet for least favorite galaxy? Slimy Spring is mine so far, easily. Arduous and boring. I hate swimming levels. :lol

Also, is there any incentive to playing as Luigi? Does it do anything different for the level or for one's reward?

Soloist

Neo Member
Magnus said:
Anyone else find they can only do about 3 or 4 stars at a time and then burn out for the day? I don't know what it is. I love the game to death, and definitely did more than just 4 stars in the first couple of days (have 78 right now), but I can't do this in long stretches for some reason.

Also, any votes yet for least favorite galaxy? (last world)
stone cyclone urrgh...
Slimy Spring is mine so far, easily. Arduous and boring. I hate swimming levels. :lol

Also, is there any incentive to playing as Luigi? Does it do anything different for the level or for one's reward?

Isn't playing as Luigi its own reward?
You unlock the staff ghost in every level you beat with luigi

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Magnus said:

Also, any votes yet for least favorite galaxy? Slimy Spring is mine so far, easily. Arduous and boring. I hate swimming levels. :lol

Least favorite? Stone Cyclone, even though I loved Beach Bowl to death and that was part of the reason why.

Magnus

Soloist said:
Isn't playing as Luigi its own reward?
You unlock the staff ghost in every level you beat with luigi

Ah, thanks. I should have been able to piece that together myself. I saw the ghost running around in a level once and it was doing absurd shit like crouching in place and walking into walls. Didn't get it. :lol

I am at the final star. Holy crap.

I beat Grandmaster level easy the first time but this daredevil perfect run is insane. I spent an hour and only got past that damn flip switch area once. This is the kind of challenge I was expecting, well not to this extreme but more like grandmaster galaxy.

JRW said:
Ive found pure evil in this game, in the form of

Think im going to be stuck here for awhile...

I thought it would be hard, got it on my second try. It was not that hard at all, the
SMG1
one was way harder.

Zeliard

How many of the motion-controlled racing levels are there?

They were my least favorite in the first game. Just awful stuff, and in a game so good.

Hiltz

Got around 87 stars right now. I still need to do that difficult fast fleet glide mini game and focus on finding the rest of the comet coins.

Love the rolling ball mini games even though the are easy.

Link Man

Banned
Magnus said:

You'll not be popular with your opinion on Slimy Spring.

But for me, my least favorite is probably the Battle Belt.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
2mn4y1z.jpg

From here.

The rolling stages are much easier this time around compared to the first one. I am at about 80 stars right now and taking my sweet time with this game. Just savoring every moment.

wrowa

Zeliard said:
How many of the motion-controlled racing levels are there?

They were my least favorite in the first game. Just awful stuff, and in a game so good.
None. There are flying levels now, though, which aren't exactly much fun either. They are far easier than the racing levels of SMG1 and therefore more enjoyable, but that's only my opinion.

Christine

Forkball said:
What's the fastest way to get star bits? I'm tired of collecting these and I need an easy way so I can unlock the rest of the galaxies.

2nd star on Melty Monster level, there's a 1up near the beginning and you can collect 80-120 bits on every life, just fall off at the end and keep playing until you have as many as you need.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So I've got
241 stars, the Grandmaster comet coin and 9999 starbits, but nothing's happening. No comet is arriving for Grandmaster even after playing a few random stages, banking some starbits and reaching 9999 again.
Am I missing something?

BowieZ

Banned
Link Man said:
You'll not be popular with your opinion on Slimy Spring.

But for me, my least favorite is probably the Battle Belt.
Apart from the oddly beautiful entrance, the haunting foggy cave intermezzo, and the sunset finale, I also don't see what's so great about the level. I mean, cosmetically, it's a varied, intriguing level. But the execution, gameplay-wise, I feel is pretty awful... the swimming-versus-camera controls don't help, of course.

And if you get hit at all in The Chimp's challenge, you are stuck to contend with regaining your momentum and directional bearings then find a shell, so it's more profitable to kill yourself than bother rejoining your point-collection path.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Dan said:
So I've got
241 stars, the Grandmaster comet coin and 9999 starbits, but nothing's happening. No comet is arriving for Grandmaster even after playing a few random stages, banking some starbits and reaching 9999 again.
Am I missing something?
Try having the
9999 on Mario instead of Banktoad
so the game registers it or something. If you already did this then I don't know what's going on either.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fuu said:
Try having the
9999 on Mario instead of Banktoad
so the game registers it or something. If you already did this then I don't know what's going on either.
Yeah, they're all on me, not the bank. Wait, maybe I should try the opposite.

Johnas

Holy crap at
Grandmaster Galaxy

And it actually has new content in it! Or new spins on old content, I might say. Amazing.

ok, is there anything worthwhile for getting (post game)
242 stars? I have 241 and doing that daredevil run just seems like an annoyance.

JRW

MiamiWesker said:
I thought it would be hard, got it on my second try. It was not that hard at all, the
SMG1
one was way harder.

Finally got it looks like the key was to
leave the purple coins alone at the starting point of the level and get them last,since this is where the star appears anyhow. I got one coin to the left of starting point and jumped over to the yellow blocks and went from there.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got 120...I also realized that the wiimote I was using the whole game has been messed up, I switched to the newer one I got for NSMBW and beat the level I was on first try(
Rolling Coaster Purple Coins
). :lol

Maybe the bird levels aren't as bad as I thought now, the game worked well in every other spot so I didn't think the controller would be the issue.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
I'm so bad at blue pull stars. Lol.

I noticed they're barely in the game now. Along with Nintendo once again being haters on the boo suit, underused in 1 and shows up a single time in 2.

BowieZ

Banned
Crumpet Trumpet said:
I'm so bad at blue pull stars. Lol.
Are you solidly pressing one, then quickly solidly pressing the next, then the next? Never waiting for Mario/Luigi to catch up to you? You should be, I mean.

Emphasis on solidly, as well; it really makes a difference if you really grab onto each one, but not too much.

Tim-E

I got married last week, so I wasn't able to pick up the sequel to one of my favorite games ever then, but I got paid again and I'm back from the honeymoon and I placed an order for it on Amazon today. I'm pretty excited. :D I expected the game to have a really positive reception, but I didn't expect to be as positive as it has been.

zigg

Dan said:
Yeah, they're all on me, not the bank. Wait, maybe I should try the opposite.

Did you notice
the coconuts turned to watermelons?
:eek:

(ever since I noticed that in SMG I've been obsessed with it, sorry)

ZeroRay

Beat Bowser last week, my impressions:

Wii's best game (and this generation's probably) but I did have a few (very minor) problems:

I wanted more stars per galaxy like the first one since a lot of the levels felt that they could of expanded on the ideas introduced within them.

Game felt way shorter due to my experience of 242 staring Galaxy 1 but I had a huge blast playing it and managed to get the ending at around 12 hours. Now on to the postgame!

Top Bottom