• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Magnus

Link Man said:
You'll not be popular with your opinion on Slimy Spring.

But for me, my least favorite is probably the Battle Belt.

Yeah, please educate me. What did everyone see in that level? It was an underwater sewer tunnel with unexceptional music. I really don't understand what was amazing about it.

Coming out into the sun at the end was a nice dischord with the rest of the level. I liked that, anyway.

zigg

Magnus said:
Yeah, please educate me. What did everyone see in that level? It was an underwater sewer tunnel with unexceptional music. I really don't understand what was amazing about it.

Well, I thought it was pretty amazing that they structured it in such a way as to make the not-yet-improved swimming controls a non-issue. :D

Mostly the last bit, I think, is what everyone digs. And I thought it was pretty neat, too.

WillyFive

ZeroRay said:
Beat Bowser last week, my impressions:

Wii's best game (and this generation's probably) but I did have a few (very minor) problems:

I wanted more stars per galaxy like the first one since a lot of the levels felt that they could of expanded on the ideas introduced within them.

Game felt way shorter due to my experience of 242 staring Galaxy 1 but I had a huge blast playing it and managed to get the ending at around 12 hours. Now on to the postgame!

Well, the second 120 stars from Mario Galaxy 1 were postgame.

BowieZ

Banned
Tim-E said:
I got married last week, so I wasn't able to pick up the sequel to one of my favorite games ever then, but I got paid again and I'm back from the honeymoon and I placed an order for it on Amazon today. I'm pretty excited. :D I expected the game to have a really positive reception, but I didn't expect to be as positive as it has been.
honeymoon = honeybloom + boo moon?

Just beat it at 96 stars. Is it just me or did that final part of the final boss feel like a modern Sonic game final boss done right?

Anyway,
Special world is awesome!

zigg

cosmicblizzard said:
Just beat it at 96 stars. Is it just me or did that final part of the final boss feel like a modern Sonic game final boss done right?

Well, it certainly wasn't frustrating :lol

Magnus said:
Coming out into the sun at the end was a nice dischord with the rest of the level. I liked that, anyway.

I never react emotionally to games beyond "wow this is fun" or "fuck this shit" but when I came out into the sun my heart grew three sizes.

bryehn

Started late, just finished World 1 but need to go back for comet coins.

I liked the difficulty bump and Yoshi a lot and I can see the drill being fun. Not really a fan of the cloud hat, seems pretty basic so far. I also didn't like Think Before You Spin, mainly because my arms can get twitchy from a Palsy. Oh and the damn "destroy junk fast" levels have to go.

And I don't know if it's just my Wii getting old or what, but I swear the audio fidelity is worse, like lower-quality compression.

. . . In the 2 hours I have played this game today it became clear that this greatly surpassed Galaxy in my book! :O

It's so streamlined and easy to understand hub wise (which was one of my major complains with Galaxy)! And the game is way harder for me then Galaxy . . . that drill boss was harder then most anything from Galaxy alone.

The music is also just WOW! I love how it changes when your either upside down or right side up in the first gravity pad area!

Loving it! I think I have 8 stars now. :)

bridegur

Magnus said:

My favorite thing about it was the underground/sewer setting (the first in a 3D Mario game?). Plus, the music, the peaceful setting, and the end. It was also a nice change of pace to have a level without a big, open sky.

bridegur

ShockingAlberto said:
There was one in Mario 64. It lead to an underwater lagoon with a sea monster that you could ride.

Ah, that's right. Still, it was nice to see such a level again.

I'd also like to point out that I love how SMG2 can be very, very difficult, but 99% of the time when I fail, I realize it's my fault, not the game's. That's something a huge number of games can't claim (I'm looking at you, half-assed controls/gameplay of the GTA series).

What's up with these flags next to peoples usernames? I don't like.
Or should I ask, why are they there.

Anyway, 184 shine get. I need to be done with this game, it's consuming my evenings.

JRW

So... If you miss a comet coin and complete the level I take it you have to complete the level again once you go back for the comet coin? lol .. im sure you do just making sure because I missed the coin in the final bowser stage in world 6 ... Doh.

Doorman

I'm now up to...153 or so stars. If it hadn't fully convinced me earlier, I can definitely say now that I like this game more than the first Galaxy. The way they've handled the back-half 120 is great and it seems like nearly every star is now accompanied by me mumbling "damn, that's really clever" or "hmm, how do I get that...?" to myself. They really have done a stellar job mixing the design sensibilities of both 2-D and 3-D Mario games of the past.

In other words, I'm getting more impressed the more I play. I don't think I've really gone through something like that in quite a while.

Haunted

My package better come tomorrow!
bgso03.jpg

Or else... or else I'll
be sad. :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Black-Wind said:
. . . In the 2 hours I have played this game today it became clear that this greatly surpassed Galaxy in my book! :O

It's so streamlined and easy to understand hub wise (which was one of my major complains with Galaxy)! And the game is way harder for me then Galaxy . . . that drill boss was harder then most anything from Galaxy alone.
The music is also just WOW! I love how it changes when your either upside down or right side up in the first gravity pad area!

Loving it! I think I have 8 stars now. :)

Wut.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
JRW said:
So... If you miss a comet coin and complete the level I take it you have to complete the level again once you go back for the comet coin? lol .. im sure you do just making sure because I missed the coin in the final bowser stage in world 6 ... Doh.

Yes

rhino4evr

Nothing worse then flying through all 5 goals and them completely missing the comet coin!!!!

The game is definitely getting harder...world 5 is the real deal..can't wait to see what world 6 and beyond hold!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Tim-E said:
I got married last week, so I wasn't able to pick up the sequel to one of my favorite games ever then, but I got paid again and I'm back from the honeymoon and I placed an order for it on Amazon today. I'm pretty excited. :D I expected the game to have a really positive reception, but I didn't expect to be as positive as it has been.
Congrats, man!

Nicktals

Banned
100%!

Man, the perfect run was TOUGH, but soooo fun. I absolutely loved it.

Took me 35 lives, and I wasn't at all frustrated. So awesome.

rhino4evr

Black-Wind said:
I kept dieing on the fucker for some reason until I just started drilling when he sends out his drills. :/

That never happened to me in Galaxy.

you can jump on the drills...good luck with that daredevil run :lol

Link Man

Banned
Magnus said:

I think it's the tense, claustrophobic music, paired with the claustrophobic tunnels, that cuts out when you reach the serene ending scene. It feels almost transcendental, like waking up from a dull day to a beautiful sunset or something. It also felt like one of those artistic indie games you may have played, not really like a Mario game.

Johnas

The
very final star (242)
is such a cool run. Definitely harder than anything in the first SMG.

They really make you earn that one.

80 stars in, and I can confidently say that this is among my favorite games ever played. I already feel like I want to go back and do everything again.

Yeah, so about 70 stars in ... this game is amazing. Still not sure if it's better than Galaxy 1 yet, but it's different enough that the comparison doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I had a dream I was playing Mario Galaxy 2, and in the dream I remember feeling saddened that I would have to stop playing in order to sleep, but then I realized that I was already asleep and playing Galaxy 2 (sleep version, not actual version) at the same time! So awesome!

thefil

I'm at 117 stars, but I'm 1100 star bits short of unlocking the last level. :( Looks like I might not be finishing this, I don't want to grind and I was going to stop at 120 anyway.

rhino4evr

thefil said:
I'm at 117 stars, but I'm 1100 star bits short of unlocking the last level. :( Looks like I might not be finishing this, I don't want to grind and I was going to stop at 120 anyway.
Lol grind? You can get a shit load of bits within 10 minutes..

thefil said:
Just do that melty monster rolling ball thing and die about 40 times. Worked for me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I can honestly say i hate Fluzzard's controls. Wish i didn't waste 1500 star bits on that fucking spaceship galaxy.

WillyFive

Bisnic said:
I can honestly say i hate Fluzzard's controls. Wish i didn't waste 1500 star bits on that fucking spaceship galaxy.

The first one was kinda slow and boring, but the spaceship galaxy is one of the coolest one I've seen in the game. That level was outright awesome.

Johnas

AniHawk said:
Fuck you star
fuck you hard.

Yeah, I really wanted to wrap this game up tonight but I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow. I keep making stupid mistakes in
the fifth section, with the pull stars etc.
. I haven't even made it to the end yet.

Bisnic said:

I was firmly on the hatewagon, but earlier today something clicked and now I really like those levels.

JRW

Yeesssss got 120 Stars :D Now to start going for the Green stars.. I seriously cant get bored of this game.

Speevy

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I really hate the level where I have to
use the fire powerup to destroy all of the boxes.

Super frustrating.

It's clunky but it wants you to
throw a couple in a line, then move onto a next line

If you run around you will lose the level every time.

AniHawk

Johnas said:
Yeah, I really wanted to wrap this game up tonight but I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow. I keep making stupid mistakes in
the fifth section, with the pull stars etc.
. I haven't even made it to the end yet.

I've been playing ever since I first typed that post, and I've made some considerable progress. I now have a system that sorta works, and I've made it to six of six three times. Twice, to the very end.

I think I'm done for right now. my right arm is starting to hurt.

Top Bottom