• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Koodo

Banned
Zing said:
I am up to 90 stars and haven't had any trouble with any crates, gliding, sliding, or chimps. I guess I am a gaming god. :lol

Or maybe I am just someone who plays the Wii more than twice a year and am used to motion controls.
Pretty much the latter. You play enough Mario Kart Wii with the wheel and you know how to tilt the control just right.

rhino4evr

Zing said:
I am up to 90 stars and haven't had any trouble with any crates, gliding, sliding, or chimps. I guess I am a gaming god. :lol

Or maybe I am just someone who plays the Wii more than twice a year and am used to motion controls.
Well I haven't had too many problems with any thing else yet.. I just have a hard time aiming those fireballs. No problems with the bird or ball challenges

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't get the FINAL final comet to appear.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Forkball said:
Does anyone have advice on how to beat the Chimp challenge on Honeyhop Galaxy? I can only get like 7000 at the most.

You have to learn to combo the small groups down below a little bit and get their coins and string some 300s on the large upper groups.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Forkball said:
Does anyone have advice on how to beat the Chimp challenge on Honeyhop Galaxy? I can only get like 7000 at the most.
Also remember: use the spin to alter your momentum. It'll help you keep those combos going especially when bouncing in circles.

Mandoric

Banned
XenoRaven said:
What's causing the static from the Wii remote speaker? The bar is resting so that the sensors are forward of the TV. I have two positions above and below the TV I've used for years that have worked fine until recently. I'm not sure what else it could be.

What does burning candles on top of my TV do exactly? I've heard of people doing that before and that it works, but it sounds totally ridiculous, and honestly more effort than I really want to put in. I don't need to burn candles for my 360, PS3, DS, and PSP to work.

I guess the remote itself could be dying.

The sensor bar isn't actually a bar that contains sensors, it's a bar containing two IR lights for the sensor in the remote to lock on to. It determines if it's pointed at the screen by whether it sees two lights side by side, its twist by what angle they're at, and its distance by how close together the lights are compared to when it was turned on. Two candles on top of or below the TV is a cheap, easy way to have two parallel IR emitters to see if the sensor bar is working properly or not; they're also brighter in cases of interference.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Koodo said:
2500 star bits should take you about 15 minutes in the second star of
Melty Monster.
heh, yeah, that's where the majority of my current total probably comes from (well, at least 2000 of them)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Don't feel you have to go to everywhere there are those guys, just pick a path to get to the areas where you can score a lot and get up to the top, don't mess with the guys out of the way

lol I did all the lower groups and it got me enough points to not have to do too much with the upper groups. I dont know why. I feel I had spent too long on the early groups. It was a first try too. I had more trouble with the first stomp challenge until I got the ? coin.

Forkball

Ok I beat the chimp challenge on
Honeyhop
. I decided to not get the enemies on the fringes, and just make a beeline for the top, taking out the guys in my way. Comboing is a bit hard at times, but if you can get to the top with around 4000 points, you can easily make over 10,000.

I also finally beat the goddamn spiny challenge in the
Yoshi
galaxy. I thought I'd never beat it. Speaking of almost never beating things, the hidden star in
Clockwork Ruins
took me way longer than I expected. Those rock spitting assholes kept knocking me off. Though the last area was pretty cool.

And I finally get 90 stars and my reward is
unlocking fucking Stone Cyclone Galaxy on acid? I seriously don't know how it's humanly possible to get past some areas here.

thatbox

Banned
I've been playing this with a friend because I don't have the heart to tell him he can't be my Luma buddy, but goddamn if the screen isn't ridiculously busy and the enemies extremely unpredictable in co-op :(

well that was an ending

i never imagined that people who didn't play the first game would legimately have something to be confused by

Forkball

EmCeeGramr said:
well that was an ending

i never imagined that people who didn't play the first game would legimately have something to be confused by
My favorite part about the ending is how it totally made sense and how it wasn't phoned in at all.

The_Dude

Koodo said:
They sure went all out on that last star,
daredevil run through Grandmaster Galaxy with no checkpoints, fuck. :lol
I really wish I hadn't read this. 159 stars in and now I know I have this to look forward to :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EmCeeGramr said:
well that was an ending

Was it an ending in the same way that RE5 was a game?

IceMarker

Just got to World 6 tonight. This game has been simply amazing and I can't wait to 100% complete it so I can replay both games all over again. :D

THIS IS WHY I'M STILL A NINTENDO FAN DAMNIT.

Forkball

What's the fastest way to get star bits? I'm tired of collecting these and I need an easy way so I can unlock the rest of the galaxies.

Forkball said:
What's the fastest way to get star bits? I'm tired of collecting these and I need an easy way so I can unlock the rest of the galaxies.
I found that amassing a decent amount of lives then getting to a checkpoint right before a lot of star bits is a good way to go. You can collect them all, then die and collect them again. Iirc there's a decent place to do it in Boulder Bowl Galaxy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I will say this for SMG2, post-game content
(green stars)
is pretty amazing and make you think of the levels in ways you never thought, accessing areas you never knew you could.
(Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla Green Star 1 ^_^)
It really feels like they're channeling Mario 64 with them, especially with how
you can select one star from the menu and oftentimes get a different star.

139 stars now. :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I found that amassing a decent amount of lives then getting to a checkpoint right before a lot of star bits is a good way to go. You can collect them all, then die and collect them again. Iirc there's a decent place to do it in Boulder Bowl Galaxy.

The rolling boulders gives lots of bits and some of the pillars do too.

FINALLY!
Grandmaster Galaxy, The Perfect Run, what an evil level. Took me more than 50 tries I think.

Time to play something else for awhile, for whatever reason I wouldn't let myself play another game til
I got all 242 stars.
Definitely my favorite 3D Mario, the galaxies aren't quite as memorable as SMG1 visually but the gameplay just doesn't get better than this (a few "meh" stars maybe, and I'm not sure how I feel about
The Perfect Run
yet).

Further spoilers:
The Green Stars ended up being much better than they started out as, you are encouraged to use all of Mario (and Luigi's) moves. I hope they do this with future 3D Mario games.

ivysaur12

Banned
Just got to World 5. Some of the purple coins are a bitch, but nothing's tripped me up too bad yet. I missed some comet coins in earlier levels, gonna have to go back and get those.

This game is really exceeding my initial impressions. It's insanely imaginative.

Wait, hold on

Just did the spring mario bit I've seen people complain about

The Chomp Works, right? With the long line of chomps? That was insanely easy. Were you guys trying to do high jumps every time you land? Because that throws off your timing like crazy. You need to just bounce for a bit and then do a big jump over a chomp.

I was expecting this incredibly hard to control mess from this thread. I did it in two tries, because I fell off near the end the first time.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Forkball said:
And I finally get 90 stars and my reward is
unlocking fucking Stone Cyclone Galaxy on acid? I seriously don't know how it's humanly possible to get past some areas here.
Longjump. Makes quick work out of that level.

ShockingAlberto said:
Wait, hold on

The Chomp Works, right? With the long line of chomps? That was insanely easy. Were you guys trying to do high jumps every time you land? Because that throws off your timing like crazy. You need to just bounce for a bit and then do a big jump over a chomp.

I was expecting this incredibly hard to control mess from this thread. I did it in two tries, because I fell off near the end the first time.

Yeah people just suck with Spring Mario I guess... like they can't figure out his momentum? I don't know. :\ I loved it, and I wish there was more Spring Mario!

BowieZ

Banned
I guess this is kinda late, and it may be "old," but I thought it was worth doing.

The "Coin Heaven" theme from SMB3 was used in the "Dusty Dune Galaxy" theme. Compare.

zigg

HK-47 said:
You have 9,999 star bits?

So that's really true then? I thought it was just made-up.
I had 15,000 between me and Banktoad. Is the Comet Medal in 241 invisible until you get it, or does the comet just not come till you hit 9,999?

Bizarre requirement, in any event.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
zigg said:
I had 15,000 between me and Banktoad. Is the Comet Medal in 241 invisible until you get it, or does the comet just not come till you hit 9,999?

I definitely have the medal, as I finished the level twice (as M and L) and the second time it was transparent. I've since finished roughly five random stars to trigger it, and have had no luck, so I assume it is a requirement.

zigg

Rez said:
I definitely have the medal, as I finished the level twice (as M and L) and the second time it was transparent. I've since finished roughly five random stars to trigger it, and have had no luck, so I assume it is a requirement.

I've gotta be honest,
"collect 9,999 Star Bits to unlock the final level"
sounds like something out of one of those fake cheats that plague cheat sites. :lol "Run around Lon Lon Ranch clockwise three times, get on Epona and shoot the third rock from the left, then beat the running man by no more than five seconds and you will get to go to the Sky Temple"

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
zigg said:

Yeah, I had
9999 on banktoad and the comet appeared. You can get the medal before it though.

I'm happy I had it beforehand, it's a silly requirement.

Edit:

zigg said:
I've gotta be honest,
"collect 9,999 Star Bits to unlock the final level"
sounds like something out of one of those fake cheats that plague cheat sites. :lol "Run around Lon Lon Ranch clockwise three times, get on Epona and shoot the third rock from the left, then beat the running man by no more than five seconds and you will get to go to the Sky Temple"
I know right, and the stage also pulls something I didn't like at all and cried about two pages ago. :lol

AniHawk

ShockingAlberto said:
Wait, hold on

i just backflipped over all of them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AniHawk said:
i just backflipped over all of them.
But doing it with spring Mario is more fun!

Up to 119 stars. Next time I play I'm gonna farm some lives and try tackling Beat Block Double Time. I knew that would be the last star I had to get.

AniHawk

HK-47 said:

Up to 119 stars. Next time I play I'm gonna farm some lives and try tackling Beat Block Double Time. I knew that would be the last star I had to get.
but they give you a checkpoint and everything.

i think the post-120 stuff is better than a lot of the main game, since it's mostly just platforming. the main game stuff is great, especially during a first run through, but there's a lot of distractions. i'm glad they chose the route they did instead of making us replay the game with a different character.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HK-47 said:

time all your jumps (no spinning!) on the off-beat tick. I managed to, weirdly, do it on my first try when I did it earlier today after getting game over and many additional lives the first time I actually got the star.

AniHawk

Rez said:
time all your jumps (no spinning!) on the off-beat tick. I managed to, weirdly, do it on my first try when I did it earlier today after getting game over and many additional lives the first time I actually got the star.
i did it with yoshi because he's my best friend. maybe that's why i got through it pretty quick. it was the power of friendship.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had no idea our mutual friend was even in that level!

HK-47 said:

Between Luigi and Yoshi, you can clear most of the jumps without landing on a platform. Also between flutter jump, spinning and betrayal jump, you have three ways to "stall" until a platform appears under you. At the very end, Luigi can just jump on solid platforms, almost completely skipping the flips. All but one of the silver stars is located in a long jumps distance from eachother, so you can just hop from solid to solid and only have to land on a flip once, maybe twice.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rez said:
I had no idea our mutual friend was even in that level!
In the crystal right before the second flag.

I think I can do it now. I watched a video and saw a good path to do it. I usually need a little visual help with some stars like that or LPC in the first game. Just need a path to stick too that I know works.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that'll teach me not too avoid empty crystals (which I assumed were coins)

that is, if I hasn't finished the game already

oh god I feel so empty

Top Bottom