• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

mernst23

Got the game yesterday, I only have 5 stars. I'm limiting myself to a max of 15 a day during work days, for fear of getting hooked.

pakkit

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
Anybody else digging the
green stars more than the first half of the game?
Just pure exploration and platforming.
Fuck...do I play this or Half Life 2...

I'm so torn, GAF, and it's eating at me from the inside.

Sagitario said:
How the heck do I do Yoshi's infinite fluttering? Is there a specific timing or something?
During a flutter (you're holding down A) quickly press and release the Z button, then release and re-press the A button to go into the second flutter(quickly so you don't loose the height you already have).

Make sure you hold out the flutter or you won't gain much height each time you do it.
EDIT: Technically, you can press the A button while you are releasing the Z button to do it a little faster, and probably keep from loosing height.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Actually, starting a new run through of SMG, I really wish there had been more focus. I appreciate the massive variety, but I also like focus around concepts and using them to their fullest, which SMG does in its main galaxies. One reason is that the Chimp and box games take up stars when outside of the stomp and coin challenges, they probably should have been part of their own galaxies like Fluzzard was. But its also because they seemed to be throwing everything at the chalkboard. Luckily, it all works cause its EAD Tokyo. Also, while
green stars
are great they point out how small these levels are. You see pretty much everything the first time through and none bothered to mix it up like with the small sandbox levels of SMG like Honeyhive, Beach Bowl and Sea Slide. And last of all, the drill has too much unutilized potential.

I wish SMG had green stars, too.

Boonoo

Just got 120. Purple coins on rainbow road took me quite a while, but I'm really digging the
green stars
. I think I'll take them nice and slow.

WillyFive

HK-47 said:
Actually, starting a new run through of SMG, I really wish there had been more focus. I appreciate the massive variety, but I also like focus around concepts and using them to their fullest, which SMG does in its main galaxies. One reason is that the Chimp and box games take up stars when outside of the stomp and coin challenges, they probably should have been part of their own galaxies like Fluzzard was. But its also because they seemed to be throwing everything at the chalkboard. Luckily, it all works cause its EAD Tokyo. Also, while
green stars
are great they point out how small these levels are. You see pretty much everything the first time through and none bothered to mix it up like with the small sandbox levels of SMG like Honeyhive, Beach Bowl and Sea Slide. And last of all, the drill has too much unutilized potential.

I wish SMG had green stars, too.

Yeah. When I heard about Mario Galaxy 2, I thought it would have been a perfect time to use all the cool stuff they introduced in Galaxy 1 for more levels and situations.

But instead, they just made even more new stuff.

Yeah, I know we are complaining about good things, but still.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Willy105 said:
Yeah. When I heard about Mario Galaxy 2, I thought it would have been a perfect time to use all the cool stuff they introduced in Galaxy 1 for more levels and situations.

But instead, they just made even more new stuff.

Yeah, I know we are complaining about good things, but still.

Yup, I completely realize I'm complaining about fun stuff that I just wish was even more fun.

Sagitario

MvmntInGrn said:
During a flutter (you're holding down A) quickly press and release the Z button, then release and re-press the A button to go into the second flutter(quickly so you don't loose the height you already have).

Make sure you hold out the flutter or you won't gain much height each time you do it.
EDIT: Technically, you can press the A button while you are releasing the Z button to do it a little faster, and probably keep from loosing height.

Thanks! Will try it tonight...

pakkit

Banned
Scythesurge said:
Both? Just play whichever one you are feeling more!
Playing Sandtraps on Half Life 2 makes me just want to go back to Galaxy 2. :lol

I don't understand why Valve insists on putting platforming in their FPS's when the movement mechanics are so obviously not built for it.

But I digress, onwarch march in SMG2! I'm at 109 stars right now. Hopefully I can actually get beyond 120 this time, the TrashBot kept me from that goal last time. Luckily, the fire flower version this time was much easier (but still had no place in a Mario game...).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Regarding the post game stuff:
Do you ever NEED Luigi to get a green star, or is it always within your grasp as Mario?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:
Regarding the post game stuff:
Do you ever NEED Luigi to get a green star, or is it always within your grasp as Mario?
I'm at
222 and have yet to need Luigi for any of the green stars.

Speaking of Luigi: What does unlocking his ghost do? Does it just guide you to the comet coin in that level?

Sagitario

Jive Turkey said:
I'm at
222 and have yet to need Luigi for any of the green stars.

Speaking of Luigi: What does unlocking his ghost do? Does it just guide you to the comet coin in that level?

Ghost = speed runs made by the staff

The Hermit

Sagitario said:
Ghost = speed runs made by the staff

Actually more like "tricks" because it does crazy stuff and won't go till the end of the stage.

Btw, just want to say that the post endgame reward of SMG2 just beated Dawn of Sorrow of best bonus mode ever! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The_Dude

Fuu said:
Yep, the three initial sections are what made me go "wtf, why am I doing this" after a few lives (I also got to the end once and died).
If there was a single checkpoint after the cloud area it wouldn't have bothered me at all since the parts after that are actually fun to go over with 1 point of HP, and the stage wouldn't be less harder, just less tedious
. Good luck and I hope you manage to get it quickly if you try again later, in the end it's satisfying to know you got it and never need to do it again.
That original post of yours nailed it exactly - I should have just copy-and-pasted that instead of writing my own! And, yeah, that single change would not have made it less challenging, just less annoying and less of a time-sink. Thanks for the good wishes, I definitely at least need a couple of days break before I tackle it again, though :lol

The Hermit

AniHawk said:
So here are my final thoughts on the game, now that I've completed it 100%.

UNMARKED SPOILERS FOR THE GAME. DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT THE GAME SPOILED IN ANY WAY FOR YOU
ALSO, WORD VOMIT lol

Another problem I had with this game were the fact that whenever a prankster comet showed up, you had to watch the "prankster comet!!!" thing for a sec before you could choose a level. And I also didn't like being shown the level every single time without the option of skipping the cutscene, especially for the post-game stuff. 9999 starbits was a stupid requirement for the last star, too, but more on that later.

I found a cool way to solve that. Basically you just select star 3 and try to collect all of them instead of choosing each one.

It's not just better than NSMBW, it's the best platformer ever.

I used to say that NSMBW had the best MP experience of all Mario games and SMG was the best Mario 3D SP.
While I still think the first part of the sentence it's still true, SMG2 is not only the best 3D mario game, it's the best Mario game ever.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ugh, I can't really be bothered to get that last star. It's so time consuming to keep retrying, even when you can whiz through the first few parts without trouble.

Hiltz

Up to 91 stars by doing the comet coin missions and having a blast.

The Cloud suit from SMG 2 and the Penguin suit from New SMB Wii are the best new power-ups Nintendo has made in years!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
pakkit said:
Playing Sandtraps on Half Life 2 makes me just want to go back to Galaxy 2. :lol

I don't understand why Valve insists on putting platforming in their FPS's when the movement mechanics are so obviously not built for it.

But I digress, onwarch march in SMG2! I'm at 109 stars right now. Hopefully I can actually get beyond 120 this time, the TrashBot kept me from that goal last time. Luckily, the fire flower version this time was much easier (but still had no place in a Mario game...).

To be fair, jumping in L4D and TF2 is far superior to the shitty jumping in HL2. Still I think its an inportant part of their design philosophy.

Forkball

Alright these clones in
Chompwork Galaxy
are assholes. It's especially hard when you get to the button and you just have to wait.

Boonoo

Damn. I'd kill for some SMG2 dlc. A new level every other week or so for a couple bucks would be godly.

Forkball said:
Alright these clones in
Chompwork Galaxy
are assholes. It's especially hard when you get to the button and you just have to wait.

Haha yeah. The trick is to just crawl around for a bit until you can jump off the button.

Forkball

Also where are the prankster comet stars in
Fleet Feat Galaxy
or whatever it's called
(the one with Fluzzard in space)
and the
Boss Blitz Galaxy?

I'm at 107 stars, I can't wait until I unlock
the green stars. They seem more interesting than random/nigh impossible challenges like the prankster stars.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Boonoo said:
Damn. I'd kill for some SMG2 dlc. A new level every other week or so for a couple bucks would be godly.

Haha yeah. The trick is to just crawl around for a bit until you can jump off the button.

The only game where I'd pay for compartmentalized content. Like give me an extra
Twisty Trials/Flip Out
/Chompworks/Melty Monster level and some sling pods and Matter Splatter and I'll pay cash monies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Forkball said:
Alright these clones in
Chompwork Galaxy
Yeah, it took me a few tries to get the timing down. I longjump the gap between the paths, and found a good walking pace so that I got to the first depression thing just about the same time as the gold chomp.

SaintZ

Oh gosh, I got the 120 stars at last! :D

Overall, awesome experience! The game started harder than SMG but as I went on I felt the difficulty didn't increase too much as opposed to the first game. The few stars I had problems with were the Rock Mario segment in Melty Monster Galaxy. I died like 15 times :lol oh and during
Stone Cycle Galaxy
but that was because I kept doing dumb mistakes, also
Flip Out Galaxy.... those awful clones of doom
... and Clockwork Ruins and its
purple coins of hell

As for the minigames, Fluzzard>>>>>>>>That awful stingray from the first game. In the first challenge I got the star in my second try and in Fleet Glide I got both stars during the first race. I had to replay the stage because I didn't know I had to go through the gates to get the comet medal, I thought I had to direct a bullet from the enemies to the glass cage :lol And Roller Coaster Galaxy, too, was way easier than its counterpart in SMG. I'm kind of disappointed that there isn't more ball segments in the game because I had a blast playing those.

I'm so glad there's a lot to play still and I'm looking forward to completing the game in its entirety :D

Zeliard

I feel quite spoiled right now. The release of Mario Galaxy 2 prompted me to go back to Mario Galaxy 1, which I've owned for around a year but had barely played, for whatever reason. When I went back to it a few days ago, I only had 7 stars.

Since then, I've been enjoying the hell out of it, racking up a number of stars when I get the chance to play it.

I've also had Mario Galaxy 2 sitting there in its Gamefly case for a few days, but I wanted to wait to play a good amount of SMG1 first. There are around 240 golden stars in between the two games, I think, so I still have over 200 to get in total. 200 glorious stars. And each stage in a galaxy is almost like its own game (I hear this is to an even greater extent in the sequel).

Johnas

AniHawk said:
242 stars. 34 hours and 4 minutes. bam.

I finally just did this myself a minute ago. How do you figure out how much time you spent playing though?

On a side note (flashbacks to the NSMB Wii thread) I have a silver crown (with a red jewel in it) next to my play file. I had Rosalina appear twice during my entire game, and once I did talk to her just to see what she would say (I was aware that she was the Super Guide for this game, I was just curious). I'm thinking I probably would have gotten a gold crown next to my file had I not spoken to her, and possibly a sparkly gold crown if she had never appeared at all, like NSMB Wii.

Anybody else with 242 get a gold crown instead?

Also, I remember in one of the early videos seeing a level with tons of prankster clones walking around, Mario was tiptoeing slowly around, and they were all doing the same. Was that in this game? I can't remember seeing that, unless maybe I just did the level too quickly.

AniHawk

Johnas said:
I finally just did this myself a minute ago. How do you figure out how much time you spent playing though?

it was at the bottom of the message on the wii message board.

On a side note (flashbacks to the NSMB Wii thread) I have a silver crown (with a red jewel in it) next to my play file. I had Rosalina appear twice during my entire game, and once I did talk to her just to see what she would say (I was aware that she was the Super Guide for this game, I was just curious). I'm thinking I probably would have gotten a gold crown next to my file had I not spoken to her, and possibly a sparkly gold crown if she had never appeared at all, like NSMB Wii.

Anybody else with 242 get a gold crown instead?

i think it's actually platinum. i never saw rosalina until the end of the game and mine looks silver too.

how do you get rosalina to appear?

Johnas

AniHawk said:
it was at the bottom of the message on the wii message board.

i think it's actually platinum. i never saw rosalina until the end of the game and mine looks silver too.

how do you get rosalina to appear?

You just have to die a certain number of times in a row within the same level. It happened for me with Melty Monster's second star (the long Rock Mario course) and also at the Stone Cyclone galaxy for the second
green star, it finally hit me to triple jump to grab it after a ton of tries

ccbfan

Oh my effing god.

I just spent 2 days trying to beat rainbow road purple coins using over 100 lives and I just found out the reason I was having so much trouble was because my remote is bad.

During my current run my first remote ran out of battery, so I got my second one. Bam, my movements was so much more responsive. I'm amazed I beat the other 3 rolling ball level with my first crappy remote. Took like 2 lives to get used to the new controls and finished with 104 coins my 3rd try with the good remote.

That was star 120 and while I type this the ending is happening so green stars is next.

Other than my remote problems this game was easier than the first. No super hard levels.

Luigi purple coins was really easy in this you barely needed to jump at all. The weird twisting and fast moving ones could easily be finished with super jumps or yoshi float thing. The cloud power up was way to over powered. Only level I had a problem with with a proper remote was beat block double time. Other than that Galaxy 1's luigi coins, cosmic luigi, green stars wer all harder.

Fantastic game though. World 1-6 had the best level design of any game I've ever played. World S was kinda lacking compared with the others but it was just as good as galaxy 1's. Flip Out is amazing though. Maybe my favorite Galaxy in the game.
Really wished they had purple coins instead of cosmic clone as the comet

Well off to collect green stars.

AniHawk

Johnas said:
You just have to die a certain number of times in a row within the same level. It happened for me with Melty Monster's second star (the long Rock Mario course) and also at the Stone Cyclone galaxy for the second
green star, it finally hit me to triple jump to grab it after a ton of tries

i never got it for the second melty monster star and i died MANY times. weird. and none of the green stars either.

Johnas

AniHawk said:
i never got it for the second melty monster star and i died MANY times. weird. and none of the green stars either.

Huh. Maybe I'm missing something there, that's all I could figure though. I wonder if I died a certain number of times within a certain timespan.

You're right though, because now that I think about it I died countless times on the final galaxy and she never appeared there either.

Oh, and I checked my playtime and it was 42 hours. :lol I'm sure 4 of those were on the final level. I did do some replaying of levels here and there for kicks, but I still didn't think I had played that long.

Stuneseht

One of the things that I was glad to see translate well into 3D was the snake blocks.
They use to bring me so much terror back in the Super Mario World. Glad to see that the tension still remains :lol

GWX

Wow,
Flip-Out Galaxy
is AMAZING. 114 stars now, and I still think I won't be able to acheive 120 stars. The daredevil run of Bowser Jr.'s third stage and the Fiery Dragon Boss in Battle Belt will give me some real trouble.

Spirit3

As an Australian gamer who imported this from America to play on my even more awesome American Wii I must say I am 100% satisfied in my purchase, which I have been deeply regretting for the past 2 years. Sure, the game doesn't have a stellar narrative or HD graphics but when you pick up a Mario game you do so for level design and charm, and boy does this game have that in overload.

seat

Checking in with 242 stars. I thought I'd be at that last one for at least a week, but I continue to impress myself with my Mario-playing abilities. I geared up tonight with 99 lives determined to get that star, but it turns out I only needed 10!

I admit I was disappointed by the "reward" of being visited by Rosalina.

"C'mon, I saw you earlier back when I got 120 stars! Why should I care to see you again? Unless you show me your Rosa-gina, it ain't enough."

Ultimately, I absolutely loved this game. It wasn't as fresh as an experience as SMG1, so therefore SMG2 can't be as good, but I still definitely adored it.

Top Bottom