• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

EzLink

Banned
Just checked the status of my Wii, it is OUT FOR DELIVERY!

Hold me GAF, for I am nothing more than a mere mortal on the brink of experiencing the divine

Chatin

A few levels (Slipsand Galaxy comes to mind) are unfortunately completely lack luster and forgettable, for me. Playing through them again to grab the green stars, there are a few places where I don't even recall playing through the level, that's how little of an impact it left on me.

There are some really, really great and creative levels in SMG2, but it seems like the places where it does fall short are in the more traditional levels where its too easy to compare to SMG1, which completely trounces 2 in this regard. The sand levels in 1 were terrific.

Scythesurge said:
So close to enjoying SMG2! :D

You know I have been seeing "SMG2" all over the forums I didn't know what the hell it stood for...thanks! :lol

I'll be picking this up probably tomorrow or Saturday.

Christopher

eXistor said:
Just finished the game
(with the minimum required 70 stars)
. I don't think I have to harp on how good it is. It's the best game of the year. But if there's one thing SMG1 did better it's having a more coherent feel. SMG2 feels like a bunch of small random levels thrown strung together which you have to finish until you reach the end. I did miss those bigger levels SMG1 had. SMG1 also made you feel like you were working towards a goal and the conclusion felt a lot more satisfiying to me. SMG2's final boss
was so easy I didn't think it was gonna be the final battle after all, but it was.
. I would really like the Mario series to return to a more adventurous feel after this. SMW is still the only game in the series that nailed this feeling, maybe take that as a blueprint? Hell if you reach the secret Star map you could even chuck in a few Mario Galaxy style levels in there.

that's EXACTLY how I feel

There it is, number 242. The last two stars were wonderful IMO, especially because of
all of the returning music from the first SMG in The Perfect Run

It was a blast but now my platforming cravings will be completely saturated for a long while.

Just want to say: Thank you, Nintendo :)

Play Time:
24:10:34

Nose Master

Christopher said:

The final boss in Galaxy 1 was a loooot easier than Galaxy 2. Don't count count the
meteor part. That was just a little bit of fun, the main hard part of the battle was already over.

Chatin

Whenever you have to keep the cloud suit to get a star later in the level, it takes a lot of focus not to do a spin jump, that's how second nature it's become. When it's that intuitive that you have to go out of your way to make sure you don't waggle, it really shows that it wasn't tacked on in the slightest. :lol

Christopher said:
Same. One thing that has annoyed me in SMG2, believe it or not, is the camera. I hate being told when I can use it and when I can't, or being forced to run down a narrow platform from an off-angle view. I find that humorous since so many people didn't like SuperMario 64 because of the "horrible" camera. I can understand being forced to view from a 2D perspective on certain levels, and in specific areas of a level, but for everything else I get aggravated.

trupclow

Why oh why did I have to read this thread? I'm this close to going to target (have a gift card) after work and picking up the black wii bundle and SMG 1 & 2, and probably NSMB as well... Then I've got Monster Hunter 3, Punchout, Mario Kart, Brawl to get to, not to mention all of the downloadable classics...

savor100

trupclow said:
Why oh why did I have to read this thread? I'm this close to going to target (have a gift card) after work and picking up the black wii bundle and SMG 1 & 2, and probably NSMB as well... Then I've got Monster Hunter 3, Punchout, Mario Kart, Brawl to get to, not to mention all of the downloadable classics...

It'll be money well spent, trust me.

Chatin said:
Whenever you have to keep the cloud suit to get a star later in the level, it takes a lot of focus not to do a spin jump, that's how second nature it's become. When it's that intuitive that you have to go out of your way to make sure you don't waggle, it really shows that it wasn't tacked on in the slightest. :lol

I hate when you try to hit enemies and it makes the cloud though, my only problem with any part of the game.

BowieZ

Banned
eXistor said:
I would really like the Mario series to return to a more adventurous feel after this. SMW is still the only game in the series that nailed this feeling, maybe take that as a blueprint? Hell if you reach the secret Star map you could even chuck in a few Mario Galaxy style levels in there.
100% agreed.

Have, like, 7 star slings hidden around a large 3D planet across 7 different lands, that fly you up to a star-shaped Star planet and unlock a path to the Rainbow Galaxy where you can play random floating levels, and maybe even a simple level editor that you can upload your own levels to the Rainbow Galaxy. :D

Deputy Moonman said:
Same. One thing that has annoyed me in SMG2, believe it or not, is the camera. I hate being told when I can use it and when I can't, or being forced to run down a narrow platform from an off-angle view. I find that humorous since so many people didn't like SuperMario 64 because of the "horrible" camera. I can understand being forced to view from a 2D perspective on certain levels, and in specific areas of a level, but for everything else I get aggravated.
Yes, people hated the camera in Mario Sunshine too, but I could almost always put it exactly where I wanted it to line up a jump. You get used to not having it in Galaxy, but I prefer a fully controllable camera in these kinds of games. It's not like good camera controls would be hard to implement either: hold C, tilt nunchuk to move camera.

Harpuia

Motherfucking holy shit at Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos. Also, question about:
the green stars. Do they have their own unique levels, or just a scavenger hunt?

zigg said:
You people wanting camera controls are crazy. There wasn't a moment in the game where it was wrong.
Stone Cyclone

Anytime I want the camera directly behind me, but the camera refuses to move from its diagonal angle.

Anytime I just want to look around but the camera refuses to to into first person.

BowieZ

Banned
TelemachusD said:
Yes, people hated the camera in Mario Sunshine too, but I could almost always put it exactly where I wanted it to line up a jump. You get used to not having it in Galaxy, but I prefer a fully controllable camera in these kinds of games. It's not like good camera controls would be hard to implement either: hold C, tilt nunchuk to move camera.
Isn't the occasional ability to switch left and right on the d-pad and to go first-person by pressing up and using the nunchuk to swivel the camera sufficient?

BowieZ said:
Isn't the occasional ability to switch left and right on the d-pad and to go first-person by pressing up and using the nunchuk to swivel the camera sufficient?
It was sufficient for me, but it doesn't mean that it couldn't be better. There were many times when I tried to change the camera and just couldn't, though it was never a huge issue.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Harpuia said:
Motherfucking holy shit at Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos. Also, question about:
the green stars. Do they have their own unique levels, or just a scavenger hunt?
scavenger hunt. Its usually less about finding them and more about pulling of a perfect triple-jump off of a narrow ledge or backflipping into a weird gravity effect in just the right way. They're actually really fun.

BowieZ said:
The levels are clearly designed around certain camera angles so usually it's not a problem, but sometimes it is, and just having the option to move it is better than not having it.

People will bitch about anything.

Many here say swimming is flawed in most Mario games and wish it controlled regularly like it does when you have the green shell.

That wouldn't differentiate the powerup from the challenge nor would it separate swimming from land controls.

These are designers that know how to design games, we aren't.

Raw64life

Breezing through the
green stars
now. The fact that you can hear them when you're nearby makes them pretty easy to find. Definitely a million percent improvement over the Galaxy 1 end bonus and probably for me what puts over Galaxy 1 definitively.

Nintendo rarely includes control options in their games. In Galaxy, for example, the first person look has an inverted Y-axis with no way to change it, I'm sure this annoys a few people. Why not let them change it? The more options the better.

Dr.Hadji

Deputy Moonman said:

Thats kind of the point of the limited camera angle. To force you to judge a 3d space in a way that maybe you aren't completely comfortable with.

Sagitario

Got 120 stars last night...
I liked how SMG2 was just
a tale from Rosalina's book
:lol
Reminded me a little bit of Link's Awakening...

Also, am I the only one who noticed that there are 2 kind of Goombas in the game [Paragoombas != Goomba]? What's up with that?

And I tried and tried and tried and I just couldn't do infinite flutters with Yoshi [I can do it 2 times at most and without gaining any height] :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
nincompoop said:
I hope that's the case, my comment was based on the first galaxy where all three were in very easy-to-miss locations, which weren't even remotely difficult to get to once you noticed them but if you didn't notice them and blasted off to another planet you woouldn't be able to come back to them and would end up wasting your time searching through the rest of the level. Having to explore every inch of a level to find something isn't exactly my idea of a good time.

The jump to conclusions mat is right here!

Chatin

There are a few points where having some more control over the camera would help line yourself up to make a jump to the left or right to grab a star. As it is, its easy to jump just behind or in front of a star when you don't have shadows to align.

Also, when looking for
green stars
, there were many points where I thought I heard sparkling, and wanted to look around, but the game decided I wasn't allowed to go into first person at that point, and I'd have to make a lethal jump to my death just to see if there was anything out of my line of sight.

Oneself

As a not Wii owner :lol I saw SMG2 "in real life" last night for the first time.. and damn, what an awesome game.

The original and this one both gave me a similar feeling I had when playing Mario 3, Super Mario World & Super Mario 64 back in their early days. I'll wait and see what's up with the "WiiHD" or "Wii next" or whatever the fuck it will be, and definitely get a one for Mario games (and the Klonoa remake among other).

All in all, system seller!! Félicitations Nintendo!

Zing

Banned
I just finished all 120 stars.

Then I realized what was happening.

Sweet Jesus have mercy on me.

Now even my four year old daughter is complaining about the "rrrrraaaaaaa, rrrrraaaaaaa" alarm sound.

Kad5

Well I got 120 stars.

I don't really feel compelled to get the other 120 so I think i'm done with the game.

This is probably one of the best games i've ever played though.

Now on to playing more Monster Hunter!

Kard8p3

Kad5 said:
Well I got 120 stars.

I don't really feel compelled to get the other 120 so I think i'm done with the game.

This is probably one of the best games i've ever played though.

Now on to playing more Monster Hunter!

Well that's too bad because you'll be missing out on some amazing fun and the grandmaster galaxy which houses probably the hardest star of any 3D mario game.

Forkball

Honestly FUCK
Chompwork Galaxy and the clones. Fuck them to the hell, this has to be the most bullshit Mario level in the history of Mario games.

Natakuu

Banned
I realllllly want to play this game, I have it sitting right here next to me...but I feel I should probably finish up Splinter Cell: Conviction first or I'll end up never beating it :(

Rich!

Got my copy in the post a few days back :D

112 stars so far. Just finished the single hardest thing I've ever played in any game EVER. And by that, I mean the very final star on the final level in the special world, with the spin switch platforms and the clones.

holy fuck. And that prankster comet on the beach world with the 100 purple coins and the speed berry...fuck you, yoshi. I swear I attempted that about 70 times before finally lucking out :lol

Top Bottom