• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
So um...How exactly do you get star
242? I have 9999 bits and 49 comet coins but I'm getting nothing. Do I have to beat Bowser again or something?

Koodo

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
So um...How exactly do you get star
242? I have 9999 bits and 49 comet coins but I'm getting nothing. Do I have to beat Bowser again or something?
Do you have the starbits stored in the bank? You need to have them with you I think. Lubba should say something if it works.

JRW

Question about Green stars,
Is Luigi required to reach some of them? I cant seem to reach the first green star in Flip-Swap Galaxy, It's just to high up?

The_Dude

JRW said:
Is Luigi required to reach some of them? I cant seem to reach the first green star in Flip-Swap Galaxy, It's just to high up?
I had to use him for maybe 5 of them
, but not that one. The key is
the triple jump

Koodo

Banned
JRW said:
Did you triple jump + spin? A lot of the green stars require a triple jump. Using Mario should be fine I think (I used Luigi for all the green stars though :p).

JRW

Koodo said:
Did you triple jump + spin? A lot of the green stars require a triple jump. Using Mario should be fine I think (I used Luigi for all the green stars though :p).

lol wow I played the entire game (this far at least) without ever using triple jump, I had to google how to do it, Thanks I was able to get the star.

So I'm playing through again to get the greens, and I must say that the

green Toad in Bowser's Lava Lair that apologizes for not being able to find a 1-up and instead gives you four starbits

makes me wanna reach into the screen and give 'im a big hug. I like that and the Lumas that cheer you on. Completely non-invasive and a very light touch.

Koodo

Banned
JRW said:
lol wow I played the entire game (this far at least) without ever using triple jump, I had to google how to do it, Thanks I was able to get the star.
Not just you. I never found the need to triple jump during the main game (a backflip would always do the job). I was surprised and satisfied that the green stars required it. ;P

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Boonoo said:
Damn. I'd kill for some SMG2 dlc. A new level every other week or so for a couple bucks would be godly.

Exactly. I have always wanted to create a "pure" platformer (think FlUD-less levels from sunshine) that would have a subscription plan similar to the telltale games. This would be different in that it would be far more frequent, in doses of one or two levels at a time.

Anyway, I agree. I would love that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Freezie KO said:
So I'm playing through again to get the greens, and I must say that the

green Toad in Bowser's Lava Lair that apologizes for not being able to find a 1-up and instead gives you four starbits

makes me wanna reach into the screen and give 'im a big hug. I like that and the Lumas that cheer you on. Completely non-invasive and a very light touch.

I adore the Toad Bridage. Corny puns and all.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
JRW said:
Luigi isn't required to get any green stars.

Post game stuff:
Got the last 80 green stars in one day, and eventually managed to beat Grandmaster. The final comet showed up immediately after I got star 241, even though I only have about 3000 starbits on me (8000+ in the bank though).

So, in addition to one hit deaths, I have to kill all these hammer brothers with the extra floaty cloud suit jumping?

I've been using Luigi pretty much exclusively post 120, does Mario have any advantages for
The Perfect Run
?

zigg

Johnas said:
On a side note (flashbacks to the NSMB Wii thread) I have a silver crown (with a red jewel in it) next to my play file. I had Rosalina appear twice during my entire game, and once I did talk to her just to see what she would say (I was aware that she was the Super Guide for this game, I was just curious). I'm thinking I probably would have gotten a gold crown next to my file had I not spoken to her, and possibly a sparkly gold crown if she had never appeared at all, like NSMB Wii.

You got a gold crown when you had 241.

242 is fuckin' platinum. Your Mii should also be sparkling.

Johnas said:
Also, I remember in one of the early videos seeing a level with tons of prankster clones walking around, Mario was tiptoeing slowly around, and they were all doing the same. Was that in this game? I can't remember seeing that, unless maybe I just did the level too quickly.

I didn't see this video, but did it look like this shot? If so, yes it was there, but it's been remade a little bit.

TelemachusD said:
Post game stuff:
Got the last 80 green stars in one day, and eventually managed to beat Grandmaster. The final comet showed up immediately after I got star 241, even though I only have about 3000 starbits on me (8000+ in the bank though).

Okay, what the shit. I thought you needed 9,999 in the bank. How many do you have exactly? This collect Star Bits requirement is now not only stupid but also confusing.

Did any character at any point even hint at it?

TelemachusD said:
So, in addition to one hit deaths, I have to kill all these hammer brothers with the extra floaty cloud suit jumping?

I've been using Luigi pretty much exclusively post 120, does Mario have any advantages for
The Perfect Run
?

I think Mario might be a touch easier, if only because he might be easier to hop quickly over the lasers with. Maybe. If it's not my imagination.

Though I eventually did it with Luigi.

Nicktendo86

Argh just a week to go until us poor UK souls get the game and my wallet was stolen from work last night. Had to cancel my card so I think my preorder might backfire when they try to take payment. Fucking typical.

zigg

elektrixxx said:
I'm 56 stars in and I've just realised I don't know what you use coins for. I have about 1500 of them.

Eventually you'll be able to spend them on Chance Cubes, five at a time for 100.

BowieZ

Banned
elektrixxx said:
I'm 56 stars in and I've just realised I don't know what you use coins for. I have about 1500 of them.
Luma Shops? Health? The joy of hearing coin sounds clanking in succession? :D

Haunted

I have never seen a game move so frequently, brilliantly and flawlessly between 3D and 2D portion. My god.

Also, the shadow clones are such a good idea in this game. First I was like":/ - "I already know this guy", then I was like :eek:"when they just kept spawning, finally :O as I realised that they were retracing my steps!

Totally changes the way you approach the level, makes every step you take a conscious decision. Great stuff.

BowieZ

Banned
Haunted said:
I have never seen a game move so frequently, brilliantly and flawlessly between 3D and 2D portion. My god.
I think this is one of the best levels to demonstrate the game's blend of 2D and 3D (narrow 3-dimensional playing fields), this one demonstrates switching between the two, and this level demonstrates pure 2.5D joy around a 3-dimensional environment.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BowieZ said:
I think this is one of the best levels to demonstrate the game's blend of 2D and 3D (narrow 3-dimensional playing fields), this one demonstrates switching between the two, and this level demonstrates pure 2.5D joy around a 3-dimensional environment.
That level will probably be remembered as THE level from Galaxy 2, I think.

zigg said:
Okay, what the shit. I thought you needed 9,999 in the bank. How many do you have exactly? This collect Star Bits requirement is now not only stupid but also confusing.

Did any character at any point even hint at it?
I have 3142. Banktoad has 8000 even. At one point I filled him all the way up to 9999 just to see what he would say, then took some back so he would have room to keep the extra few he adds when you talk to him. But at no point have I ever had that many on me.

And no, no one has mentioned anything about needing max starbits.

BowieZ

Banned
pakkit said:
Is there any part of this game you haven't already seen/read about, BowieZ? :lol
Nope. I'm 100% spoiled. The July release date was the tipping point for me. I'll look forward to playing, but I like discussing Mario just as much. And I've been mainly looking forward to E3 reveals anyway.

After searching for
green stars
all day yesterday, I keep hearing that twinkling sound in my head like there's one right behind me.

So I just finished collecting all 120 stars, and if the first galaxy is any indication it turns out the second quest is just
finding randomly placed stars in the levels with no clues as to where they're hidden?
What a lame copout way of extending the game. Good thing everything before then was MIND-MELTINGLY FACE-FUCKINGLY AWESOME!!!!!

BowieZ

Banned
nincompoop said:
So I just finished collecting all 120 stars, and if the first galaxy is any indication it turns out the second quest is just
finding randomly placed stars in the levels with no clues as to where they're hidden?
What a lame copout way of extending the game. Good thing everything before then was MIND-MELTINGLY FACE-FUCKINGLY AWESOME!!!!!
The clue is the sound it makes. "Keep your eyes and your ears open."

zigg

nincompoop said:

Just finding them isn't the game—it's rarely even remotely difficult. Getting to them is the game.

ccbfan

nincompoop said:

The first few green stars are boring. Just find and get with either flip jump/triple jump/yoshi betrayal.

Then you reach the final level in world one and see a star at the top of this high wall you have no way of jumping that high. Plus there's a lake of lava. First you look for different routes and jump locations. Then after there is none you think about it more and it finally hits you. These green stars could potentially be amazing.

zigg said:
Just finding them isn't the game—it's rarely even remotely difficult. Getting to them is the game.
I hope that's the case, my comment was based on the first galaxy where all three were in very easy-to-miss locations, which weren't even remotely difficult to get to once you noticed them but if you didn't notice them and blasted off to another planet you woouldn't be able to come back to them and would end up wasting your time searching through the rest of the level. Having to explore every inch of a level to find something isn't exactly my idea of a good time.

zigg

ccbfan said:
Then you reach the final level in world one and see a star at the top of this high wall you have no way of jumping that high. Plus there's a lake of lava. First you look for different routes and jump locations. Then after there is none you think about it more and it finally hits you. These green stars could potentially be amazing.

Yup that's when it hit me too.

Later, I found out the way I did it wasn't even the only way to get there. A different route was hinted at by a video Nintendo put out...

nincompoop said:
I hope that's the case, my comment was based on the first galaxy where all three were in very easy-to-miss locations, which weren't even remotely difficult to get to once you noticed them but if you didn't notice them and blasted off to another planet you woouldn't be able to come back to them and would end up wasting your time searching through the rest of the level. Having to explore every inch of a level to find something isn't exactly my idea of a good time.
There was only one I couldn't find on my own:
Fleet Glide #2
, kept thinking I heard it somewhere else.

And only one other one I could easily see but couldn't figure out how to get:
Melty Monster #3 on the Rock Mario starbit farming course, kept rolling, falling, jumping, and bouncing by it.
I tried about 20 times until I got fed up, and found a tip about using
the block in the corner of the regular star area to stop your roll and then long jump back a platform and walk to the green star,
which was far easier.

Then you reach the final level in world one and see a star at the top of this high wall you have no way of jumping that high. Plus there's a lake of lava. First you look for different routes and jump locations. Then after there is none you think about it more and it finally hits you.
I did jump to this one,
from the top of the thwomp, jump, spin, wall jump, spin, and I'm on top with Luigi.
Is there another method?

zigg

TelemachusD said:
I did jump to this one,
from the top of the thwomp, jump, spin, wall jump, spin, and I'm on top with Luigi.
Is there another method?

Yup, the one I used:
Have 3 HP, long-jump into the lava, bounce onto the back wall, backflip-walljump-spin up the left tower into an indentation, then jump-spin up onto the side wall and hop onto the tower.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So how did everyone else
get the first green star
in ChompWorks? I had to do a sequence of timed backflips to make it along the path.

eXistor

Just finished the game
(with the minimum required 70 stars)
. I don't think I have to harp on how good it is. It's the best game of the year. But if there's one thing SMG1 did better it's having a more coherent feel. SMG2 feels like a bunch of small random levels thrown strung together which you have to finish until you reach the end. I did miss those bigger levels SMG1 had. SMG1 also made you feel like you were working towards a goal and the conclusion felt a lot more satisfiying to me. SMG2's final boss
was so easy I didn't think it was gonna be the final battle after all, but it was.
. I would really like the Mario series to return to a more adventurous feel after this. SMW is still the only game in the series that nailed this feeling, maybe take that as a blueprint? Hell if you reach the secret Star map you could even chuck in a few Mario Galaxy style levels in there.

But this is really just nitpicking. SMG2 is brilliance defined. The leveldesign is a lot better than the already brilliant SMG1 and the variety on display is just staggering. If it's not my favorite Mario game it's definitely in the top 3, thus making it an automatic contender for one of the best games ever made. It really is that good.

And I'm not even half-done!

zigg

The_Technomancer said:
So how did everyone else
get the first green star
in ChompWorks? I had to do a sequence of timed backflips to make it along the path.

Same. I guess somersaults work too.

EDIT: BTW, that was one of the coolest galaxies.

The_Technomancer said:
So how did everyone else
get the first green star
Sounds like what I did too.

How about the last one in Bowser's final level? Some people were saying
to keep some clouds
from the previous section, but I found it was extremely easy with
Yoshi-- running start, flutter jump, betrayal jump. The final jump off Yoshi
gives you a lot more forward distance than you would expect.

And I'm not even half-done!
Not even 30% done

I'm up to 85 stars now, I was trying to take it slowly but now I am getting stoked for the post game challenges. This game is too good.

Top Bottom