• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
richisawesome said:
Got my copy in the post a few days back :D

112 stars so far. Just finished the single hardest thing I've ever played in any game EVER. And by that, I mean the very final star on the final level in the special world, with the spin switch platforms and the clones.

holy fuck. And that prankster comet on the beach world with the 100 purple coins and the speed berry...fuck you, yoshi. I swear I attempted that about 70 times before finally lucking out :lol
Wow, people really had trouble with the Beach PC? I beat that on my first go

The_Technomancer said:

I did as well but the cool thing is that some levels that some people find amazingly difficult are easy peasy for others and vice versa.

And then there are those assholes that have no problems with any levels and they are either lying or assholes.

TelemachusD said:
After searching for
green stars
all day yesterday, I keep hearing that twinkling sound in my head like there's one right behind me.

No joke, I swear this exact same thing is happening to me. Specifically because you keep your ears perked for that noise. It took me hours to stop hearing it.

EzLink

Banned
21 stars so far. Holy shit, what a fantastic experience. I'm not feeling the "omg wtf how is a video game like this even possible" just yet, but i've only finished world 2 and i feel like if things start to get crazier (i'm sure they will) then that will be my reaction

is there a comet coin in every level? are they all kinda hidden/out of the way and you just have to explore to find them? and what does collecting them even do?

EzLink said:
is there a comet coin in every level? are they all kinda hidden/out of the way and you just have to explore to find them? and what does collecting them even do?
Yes there is and they open up prankster comets and new star challenges.

AniHawk

EzLink said:
21 stars so far. Holy shit, what a fantastic experience. I'm not feeling the "omg wtf how is a video game like this even possible" just yet, but i've only finished world 2 and i feel like if things start to get crazier (i'm sure they will) then that will be my reaction

there's a comet coin in every first level in every galaxy. collecting them gets you prankster comets

mizuk_i

Finally got all
stars and man that final star wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.
Crawling under all the boomerangs helps alot you can even kick them when your crouching aswell.
Anyway great game it seemed impossible to top SMG1 but it did. Only negative i can think of is I wanted more Cloud Mario and Yoshi levels.

Final clear time of 30:15:18 although i did leave it paused a few times for a quick break.

EzLink

Banned
Awesome, thanks

Cooking some pizza now, then guzzling mt dew and pulling an all nighter :D

And my oh my, the first bowser level was just sick. So awesome, especially with the music

Rich!

The_Technomancer said:

I'm crap at stuff like that though. I'm fine for the first few seconds, then I think in my head 'holy shit i might actually do it this time', then I fuck up. :lol

I'm pretty damn good at the platforming stuff though.

The
green stars
really put your platforming skills to the test. Like the whole game, you think you're so awesome with your epic long/wall jumping and bypassing stuff you're supposed to do because you know what angle to wall jump and then spin to get to the ledge. Now, not only do you have to utilize your l33t skills to the fullest but you also have to come up with new ones. Really gotta commend Nintendo for that.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Mind Blown. In
Rightside Down Galaxy
, the music changes depending on what gravity you are in. When you are in normal gravity, it is a more bassy, upbeat tempo, and when you are in the upside down gravity, the song changes to a more tinny, subdued song. The transition is so smooth that I barely even noticed :D

cosmicblizzard said:
The
green stars
really put your platforming skills to the test. Like the whole game, you think you're so awesome with your epic long/wall jumping and bypassing stuff you're supposed to do because you know what angle to wall jump and then spin to get to the ledge. Now, not only do you have to utilize your l33t skills to the fullest but you also have to come up with new ones. Really gotta commend Nintendo for that.

There are no new ones. It's just the fundamentals taken to the Nth degree. Which is partially why it's so awesome.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fimbulvetr said:
There are no new ones. It's just the fundamentals taken to the Nth degree. Which is partially why it's so awesome.
The green stars actually require the triple jump.

zigg

mizuk_i said:
Crawling under all the boomerangs helps alot you can even kick them when your crouching aswell.

That's pretty brilliant! Did you come up with that yourself? Kudos if so :)

Amir0x

Banned
Man this game...

I guess the only two things I really didn't like was the flying the bird and rock power up. I was trying really hard today to think of things I thought were probably not too good, and that's all I could settle on. Rock Power up didn't feel good to control, and flying was just imo pretty bad. Level was boring and controls were poor.

Everything else was perfect. Really, I think perfect.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
"Crawling under all the boomerangs helps alot you can even kick them when your crouching aswell."

oh. my. god.

Fimbulvetr said:

I don't mean literally. I'm just saying even if you think you've figured out everything about the fundamentals, you'll find there's probably something you haven't tried yet when trying to get a green star.

For example, in the first boulder galaxy (not good with names), there's a green star
above the bridge you have to ram into. The only way to get up to it is spinning while wall jumping across the bridge guards (is that what those are called?).
During the first part of the game, it never even occurred to me that you could
use the spin to propel yourself higher for wall jumping across larger gaps
because there's never any instance where it's necessary. That is what I'm talking about.

The Technomancer

cosmicblizzard said:
I don't mean literally. I'm just saying even if you think you've figured out everything about the fundamentals, you'll find there's probably something you haven't tried yet when trying to get a green star.

For example, in the first boulder galaxy (not good with names), there's a green star
above the bridge you have to ram into. The only way to get up to it is spinning while wall jumping across the bridge guards (is that what those are called?).
because there's never any instance where it's necessary. That is what I'm talking about.
Yeah, that one drove me nuts, because you had to time the spin juuust right. And then you had to backflip from the narrow ledge on top. Those bastards

cosmicblizzard said:

I just did that one today actually. But yeah, I can see what you mean.

Edit: I liked Star 1 in the last galaxy of world one. Nothing new or hard, but just makes you realize how much attention to detail Nintendo put into this game.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Man this game...

I guess the only two things I really didn't like was the flying the bird and rock power up. I was trying really hard today to think of things I thought were probably not too good, and that's all I could settle on. Rock Power up didn't feel good to control, and flying was just imo pretty bad. Level was boring and controls were poor.

Everything else was perfect. Really, I think perfect.

how many stars?

Earned my 242nd star this morning. I loved everything about the green star hunt, and I have no complaints about the last level except that some of the ideas - Yoshi flowers through mines and bullet bills...cloud suit through electric fence - should have been expanded upon in other stages throughout the game
. In fact, the only thing I really want from the game is more: more Fluzzard (yep, I loved it and didn't find the levels long or challenging enough), more rolling, more flip-swap, and more beat box. And maybe less fire flower/bee mario (seriously, what's the point of bee mario when I can basically "fly" as far by triple jump?).

WillyFive

Gouty said:
Make it a trilogy Nintendo, I won't complain.

It will probably be too sudden.

The first time we got a sequel in the same generation in over 15 years, and people were already crying that it was a rehash before it came out.

Having a trilogy, not seen in over 20 years, would just be too much, too soon.

fireside

cosmicblizzard said:
[/spoiler] During the first part of the game, it never even occurred to me that you could
It's necessary during the entirety of Flip-out Galaxy. And you don't even have to spin to reach the top; I didn't.

The Technomancer

fireside said:
It's necessary during the entirety of Flip-out Galaxy. And you don't even have to spin to reach the top; I didn't.
Yeah, but only at the end, and the spinning was to slide stuff in and out. You didn't really need it to gain an extra bit of jump.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Sadly, I haven't had time to play this game since last Saturday, when I beat it at 100%.
Now I've got world 1 and MOST of world 2 200%'ed. Gold crowns, baby!
So fucking awesome.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Willy105 said:
It will probably be too sudden.

The first time we got a sequel in the same generation in over 15 years, and people were already crying that it was a rehash before it came out.

Having a trilogy, not seen in over 20 years, would just be too much, too soon.

Yeah even though Galaxy has so much more to give in terms of new potential concepts and in refinement and increased challenge added to old ones, reviewers will almost certainly turn on Galaxy 3. Personally I think this is the place 3D Mario is at home and given the most freedom. But I'm betting on Nintendo trying to reinvent it when the next game comes out. Also I'd kinda like EAD Toyko to work on something new. Hell, a brand new IP even.

cosmicblizzard said:
HOW? I tried it without spinning and I couldn't get more than two wall jumps in.

I think Mario inches up if you don't spin.

It would take forever though. :lol

Gouty said:
I don’t know where else Mario could go from here. Mother fucker went to space.
Someone mentioned time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cosmicblizzard said:
HOW? I tried it without spinning and I couldn't get more than two wall jumps in.

Probably did it with Luigi. Still faster and easy with the spin wall jump.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fimbulvetr said:
I think Mario inches up if you don't spin.

It would take forever though. :lol

Someone mentioned time.

Dude isnt done with space. Lets not rush into things when there is so much untapped potential.

Enk

makes good threads.
Gouty said:
I don’t know where else Mario could go from here. Mother fucker went to space.

I say go back to the Mushroom Kingdom for the next one and then screw around with dimensions with the one after.

The_Dude

Freezie KO said:
No joke, I swear this exact same thing is happening to me. Specifically because you keep your ears perked for that noise. It took me hours to stop hearing it.
I had the same problem! The worst was when I went to bed and could hear it while I was trying to get to sleep. Glad I finished them up quickly!

ZeroRay

Fimbulvetr said:
Someone mentioned time.

snes-marios-time-machine-box-front.jpg

The_Dude said:
I had the same problem! The worst was when I went to bed and could hear it while I was trying to get to sleep. Glad I finished them up quickly!

Maybe you should have checked under your bed.

The Yoshi mechanics are so good. I could play an all-Yoshi game using the tongue pointer, loaded with sling flowers and all the different fruits.

Jon

I've finally started to give this game the time it deserves, and wow, I shouldn't even be surprised. This game is just fantastic! I'm only in Wolrd 2 and I've already noticed that this game seems to be more difficult...not exactly "hard" yet, but more difficult than the first. I can't wait to see how intense it gets, because I am loving this so far.

Top Bottom