• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

I honestly found the crate burning stars to be quite doable and actually fun when trying to figure out the best paths for fireballs. Could just be me though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Scythesurge said:
I honestly found the crate burning stars to be quite doable and actually fun when trying to figure out the best paths for fireballs. Could just be me though.
Same here, but then again I didn't have that much trouble with the bomb Gearmo stars in Galaxy 1 so crate burning was "got it in the second try" business. When I saw that the fire would go forever breaking all the crates in a line the solution just clicked.

rhino4evr said:
How many crate burning stars are there? I did two so far...
That's it iirc.

impirius

ivysaur12 said:
I'm convinced the second Gearmo box destroying level is impossible. I haven't come this close to throwing my controller in a long time.
Player 2 can help with any crates you miss!

Nicktals

Banned
zigg said:
I meant the tile part. But yeah, man...

Now I don't have to try it. Thanks Internet!

But if he did the tile part, and took the launch star, he would be faced with the cloud section in 2D.

He does it this way so he can avoid trying to flutter navigate the 2D section with the wind.

Just got this email from Game.co.uk

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent Preorder of Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Due to the large volume of orders, we will be despatching your Preorder in plenty of
time for launch. To assist with despatching your order we will be processing your order early.

As a result, you may receive an email informing you that "your Preorder is on its way".
You may even find that your account has been debited.

To help us make sure that nothing affects your delivery, please check your card details are
up to date, and that you've got enough funds in your account for payment.

Happy gaming!

Fingers crossed that I get it early!

BowieZ

Banned
Spoilers - So perhaps you guys could work together on a list of some of the more challenging -- or awesome -- G.S.'s (whether you managed to get it first try through insane skill or not)? I want to play them first when I get 120.

So far, the third one from Shiverburn is supposed to be one of the most devious.

Also, I noticed in a few playthroughs how patches of grass in Tree Trunk Galaxy actually grow shadowy as the clouds above it breeze past every 30 seconds or so. So fucking beautiful.

Rich!

Just got 120 stars, beat bowser again, and now for the
green stars.

holy shit theres so many of them :lol

Chatin

The third shiverburn GS isn't really that difficult. It's just an adjustment, going through a particular area without using the spin, which we've become so accustomed to falling back on, perhaps playing a bit more sloppily.

And you don't even need all three clouds. Just two. Maybe less if you have some insane jumping skills I don't have.

Kard8p3

The fact that this has fallen to page 3 while the morgan webb topic stays on page 1 is a crime. Less complaining about her opinion and more talking about this awesome game. So what's been your favorite
green star
to get?

1-D_FTW

Kard8p3 said:
The fact that this has fallen to page 3 while the morgan webb topic stays on page 1 is a crime. Less complaining about her opinion and more talking about this awesome game. So what's been your favorite
green star
to get?

It does make the thread title seem all the more appropriate though. Clearly some mod (Amorix?) was ahead of the curve.

Nose Master

Some people have the worst reasons to knock this game. I don't want to sound like a rabid fan, but jesus christ. Weekend Confirmed complained because of the "excessive story." What did they mean? How you got new shipmates, and the purple luma told you in one line you can talk to them if you wish. Who gives a shit? Don't talk to them. That and the complaining about being knocked to the faceship after every star blew my mind. Those two seconds it takes to run up to the plate is sooooooo disjointing. :lol :lol

I was so satisfied with how hard this game ended up to be. <3.

Fuu

Nose Master said:
Some people have the worst reasons to knock this game. I don't want to sound like a rabid fan, but jesus christ. Weekend Confirmed complained because of the "excessive story." What did they mean? How you got new shipmates, and the purple luma told you in one line you can talk to them if you wish. Who gives a shit? Don't talk to them. That and the complaining about being knocked to the faceship after every star blew my mind. Those two seconds it takes to run up to the plate is sooooooo disjointing. :lol :lol

"You have to press A so much after each star, gtfo!"

It's funny, people expect a level of majesty and catering so high (sometimes absurd) from Mario that they'll bitch about the tiniest things that would otherwise get a free pass, even praising, in other games. Same goes for Zelda from what I see.

Anth0ny

After just over a week, I've beaten the final Bowser.

All I've gotta say is... awesome. Better than the first, easily. But still not quite at Mario 64's level for me.

A good portion of the stages were pretty forgettable for me, but then there was stuff like the Mario Sunshine stage, the giant stage and
Whomp's Fortress (speaking of which, was OMG AMAZING NOSTALGIA)
that more than made up for some of those crappier stages.

I just wish it followed more of the 64/Sunshine format... I would have loved to revisit those stages 6 or 7 times instead of 3 or 4.

And oh how I LOATHE the motion controls. Fuck that bird and fuck that ball.

Despite my gripes, GOTY so far.

methodman

Banned
Fuu said:

It's funny, people expect a level of majesty and catering so high (sometimes absurd) from Mario that they'll bitch about the tiniest things that would otherwise get a free pass, even praising, in other games. Same goes for Zelda from what I see.

It's because both games are at the top of their respective categories of gaming IMO. You have to find something to dislike otherwise the whole review would just be praise, and that definitely can't happen to a "respected" media site.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The one you need to take the
cloud suit
through two warp stars to get. I'm sitting at just over
200 stars
and I agree that's one of the tougher ones.
Shit that's how you do it? I was totally jumping off the edge just hoping to grab it while falling to my doom.

I have half of the green stars now. They sort of remind me of a less crappy version of the blue coin hunt from Sunshine. While some of them are pretty clever, like
the one in the first rock level where you have to walljump up the sides of the raised drawbridge
, others are pure bullshit, like
the last one I just collected in Flipsville where you have to jump off the building while upside down and hope you land on the star, only the nature of being upside down makes it impossible to tell exactly where the star is and you usually end up being sucked into the black hole instead.
Mostly though, they just boil down to wandering around until you hear the star noise, looking around until you find the green star (unless the game doesn't let you look around like in the sidescrolling sections, in which case you're forced to jump around blindly to try and find it) (these also fall into the pure bullshit category), then collect it by doing a triple jump/long jump/flutter jump/cloud jump/jump + spin/etc. It's a nice way to extend the game but it is starting to feel pretty tedious.

BowieZ

Banned
Fuu said:

I don't understand why one is mocked for discussing some things that are genuinely annoying within a game that is overwhelmingly great.

I mean... it's genuinely annoying... ?

Fuu

BowieZ said:
I don't understand why one is mocked for discussing some things that are genuinely annoying within a game that is overwhelmingly great.

I mean... it's genuinely annoying... ?
Using my "press A" example: you get prompts about star bits and coins each time you finish a level. I also agree that they could have scrapped this or made it all a single prompt but more than once I see people going overboard about this, along with Lubba saying some crap, Banktoad and Luigi explaining the same thing again, the optional hub, etc. These are all minor things that wouldn't even get a mention in almost every other game released this year, but for Mario Galaxy 2 people do it incessantly.

Don't get me wrong, anyone can post whatever they want and I wasn't really trying to mock. I'm also not trying to defend the game of its faults like a crazy fanboy or something. The thing is, I like consistency and although I have my fair share of bitching about the final star, the points I focus on (
lack of checkpoints, boring segments
) are things I have a beef about in any other game no matter the franchise.

EzLink

Banned
Just finished the final bowser fight (only did the bare minimum 70 to get there). Such an awesome game! I thought it was heaps better than the first galaxy. I'm going to start cleaning up in the first six worlds before I move on to
special world

But alas, it is now time for me to go start my 8 hour work shift :( This weekend though I'm doing nothing but star hunting!

EDIT: I was so very close to calling in to work today too. But I decided to be a man and endure a shitty 1/3rd day break from Mario

Chatin

Up to the last star. Mining star bits in Melty Monster Galaxy. I was worried about
the dare devil run of Grandmaster Galaxy
, but after running it nearly flawless the first time through, I'm looking forward to it.

atomsk

Party Pooper
fuck you last star, fuck youuuuu

death count: 30+ and rising

(and i've beaten Inferno 2 in Trials HD, so i'm not completely awful at platforming)

Forkball

Alright now I know Nintendo is just dicking with me.

Daredevil run against Bowser Jr.'s mega weapon? And I have to go through the entire level? And they changed up one part of the level and removed a check point just to dick with you? And it seems that Bowser Jr.'s ship is a lot more aggressive when shooting those electricity balls.

FML (the M stands for Mario)

feel

Finally started playing this game, about an hour into it... just <3 <3 <3 :_)

Just running around the faceship makes my heart warm up. It looks so beautiful (I don't even notice it not being HD much) and the music is so good. Such a joy to play.

Forkball

pakkit said:
They put a free 1UP right after the checkpoint, so just keep going at it.
Actually I amazingly did it on my third try. Maybe I got lucky or used to the boss battle (I just finished it moments before to get the comet coin). I'm at 111 (or is it 112?) stars, I just need to clear the two prankster stars in
Slip Spring Galaxy and Bowser's Galaxy Generator
to clear all normal worlds.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nose Master said:

Eh they might have a point about returns to the faceship. You probably should be able to just save and then change stars or return to Starship Mario if you want.

BowieZ

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
A new video interview with Miyamoto on Galaxy 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StxbKV095qs
Fantastic! Thanks for posting.

He was very specific about outlining how there are two different streams of Mario, 2D and 3D.

However, I can't help but feel that with the recent news of him mentioning "New Super Mario Bros." in a 3D form, and the unveiling of the 3DS, that those two highly separate streams of gameplay are about to become closer with each other...

Caoz

So I bought the game without even owning a Wii. Sis can let me use her kid's Wii right ?

Sure thing she's cool about it and brings it over from her house, AND FORGETS TO BRING THE WIIMOTES. :lol

She also lives in another country. :D Still I think it will be worth the wait.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BowieZ said:
Fantastic! Thanks for posting.

He was very specific about outlining how there are two different streams of Mario, 2D and 3D.

However, I can't help but feel that with the recent news of him mentioning "New Super Mario Bros." in a 3D form, and the unveiling of the 3DS, that those two highly separate streams of gameplay are about to become closer with each other...

Stop it Bowie! Stop it!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Thats a great star. Really like the Cosmic clones but I still wish the Cosmic Races had made it back.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm sort of overwhelmed at how much stuff there is to enjoy here, and just how good nearly every single piece is. it's every level idea i've ever enjoyed in a mario game translated through the galaxy lens of hyper creativity and exploitation of a thousand different neat little concepts. the first ghost level, for example, are infinitely more enjoyable and impressive than anything from SMW in that same vein. it's sort of the idealized mario game for my taste.

Jasoco

Banned
Took a few days off and am now back to the game. So many hard stars. Fucking Flutter. Those will end up being the last ones I need to get like how the second bomb cleanup was the last one I had to get in Galaxy 1.

Am mainly trying to get all the comet coins first. But have run out of coins to get on the levels I have completed. (Up to and not including Stone Cyclone) Except for the two Flutter levels. Fucking bird. God dammit!

Top Bottom