• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Future

Holy shit I am running out of lives in a new gen mario game. Actually need to try to get 1ups. What is this I dont even

Hiltz

Almost done with the comet coins and did most of those missions. Got over 110 stars and over 39 comet coins.

Wow, I loved the level in World
S called Flip Out. I wish it was longer though

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wow at
Flipsville green star 3. Aced Shiverburn's third star. That was probably the toughest one.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HK-47 said:
Wow at
Flipsville green star 3. Aced Shiverburn's third star. That was probably the toughest one.
which one was that again?

Alex

Man, up yours Purple Coin Slide. You are not on my Christmas card list.

The Yoshi mechanics are so good. I could play an all-Yoshi game using the tongue pointer, loaded with sling flowers and all the different fruits.

Should make a real Yoshi's Island sequel instead of the somewhat iffy affair Artoon put out. Yoshi's Paradise! Same team, same engine, but with a pencil filter or something ala Valkyria Chronicles or some such.

Holy shit I am running out of lives in a new gen mario game. Actually need to try to get 1ups. What is this I dont even

I like it when I exit the game with 30+ lives, come back, and they're all gone and I want to do some death trap Comet.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Alex said:
Man, up yours Purple Coin Slide. You are not on my Christmas card list.

Should make a real Yoshi's Island sequel instead of the somewhat iffy affair Artoon put out. Yoshi's Paradise! Same team, same engine, but with a pencil filter or something ala Valkyria Chronicles or some such.

I like it when I exit the game with 30+ lives, come back, and they're all gone and I want to do some death trap Comet.

Go into Supermassive, get to the koopas, go behind one and jump on its shell until you start getting 1ups. Easy way to get a bunch

Alex said:

That would be great, but I really liked YI DS. The original director was heavily involved in the level design IIRC. I thought the game was a lot of fun and a good challenge. Better than NSMB.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GrotesqueBeauty said:
The one you need to take the
cloud suit
through two warp stars to get. I'm sitting at just over
200 stars
and I agree that's one of the tougher ones.
that was the shiverburn one, no? I don't recall the flipsville one being like that?

I'll have to youtube it.

Oh, wait a minute, you didn't need a cloud suit:
all you had to do was walk on the underside of the platform and then jump off. You fall up into it.

zigg

HK-47 said:
Worst part I think is gonna be part 3. I suck at that part. I think I can beat the hammer bros.

Part 3 is
the 2D cloud section
. I thought part 4 was much worse...

AniHawk

Fuu said:
^ Worst part is
having to do the tedious first three again and again. Ugh.

yeah. actually, i don't mind the first and third, but the second is a huge waste of time. nobody would ever die there ever.

zigg

AniHawk said:
yeah. actually, i don't mind the first and third, but the second is a huge waste of time. nobody would ever die there ever.

I would take Yoshi in and amuse myself by licking the laser robots as I trotted through it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
AniHawk said:
Pretty much, 2 is downright terrible. 1 and 3 aren't bad but there comes a moment where they get bothersome when you know you'll get to 4 and probably die again since you didn't get much of a chance to get better at it. But part 2 is basically what makes it boring.

zigg said:
I would take Yoshi in and amuse myself by licking the laser robots as I trotted through it.
:lol

Taking him along actually makes it faster, I didn't think of doing that in the first few tries.

Fuu

Mike M said:
How... How are those jumps with Yoshi possible?
It's a glitch:

Yoshi Infinite Flutters
Jump holding A and before you finish Fluttering (While still holding A) Press Z, then quickly release A, then Press A again. Rinse and repeat.

AniHawk

Fuu said:
Pretty much, 2 is downright terrible. 1 and 3 aren't bad but there comes a moment where they get bothersome when you know you'll get to 4 and probably die again since you didn't get much of a chance to get better at it. But part 2 is basically what makes it boring.

part 1 serves a purpose in that you can get starbits via the birdthings and the one at the beginning. part 3 gives you the cloud suit.

zigg

Fuu said:
Yoshi Infinite Flutters
Jump holding A and before you finish Fluttering (While still holding A) Press Z, then quickly release A, then Press A again. Rinse and repeat.

As I was playing, I thought it must be possible to get through part 3 with this.

But I don't know that I want to be the one to spend the time trying :lol

Fuu

AniHawk said:
part 1 serves a purpose in that you can get starbits via the birdthings and the one at the beginning. part 3 gives you the cloud suit.
I know but it's still boring doing them 20 or 30 times and dying quickly at what comes right after. :(

zigg said:
As I was playing, I thought it must be possible to get through part 3 with this.

But I don't know that I want to be the one to spend the time trying :lol
I was thinking exactly about that when I posted the trick. :lol I didn't use it during the game but I'll probably try my luck in a replay if I do 242 again for the lols.

AniHawk

zigg said:
The beginning of that reminds me of how much I hated how the intro threw the timing off for the first run through the level.

Also, wouldn't it have been quicker to just do part 2 the right way :lol

he says in the comments that it becomes really hard to do it in 2d thanks to the wind pushing you into the electricity.

trupclow

Ok so I did end up biting the bullet and getting a Wii along with the 3 mario games. So would you guys recommend starting with SMG 1 or just go straight in to SMG2?

zigg

AniHawk said:
he says in the comments that it becomes really hard to do it in 2d thanks to the wind pushing you into the electricity.

I meant the tile part. But yeah, man...

Now I don't have to try it. Thanks Internet!

AniHawk said:
Yeah the gradual increase in quality from smg -> nsmbw -> smg2 is really the best way to go. plus nsmbw offers a bit of a buffer with it being 2d and all.
Agreed! And all three games are simply a joy to play.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
71 stars in...just loving it!

Does anyone else get that "oh crap" feeling in your stomach whenever you see a new prankster comet appear on the map? :lol Its like a few seconds of utter dread, followed by utter determination to go right to that level and get the star. I just got to World 5, and so far i'd say that the prankster comets in this game seem easier than Galaxy 1.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm convinced the second Gearmo box destroying level is impossible. I haven't come this close to throwing my controller in a long time.

zigg

ivysaur12 said:
I'm convinced the second Gearmo box destroying level is impossible. I haven't come this close to throwing my controller in a long time.

Run directly down to one of the lower corners and just walk along the bottom tossing one fireball straight up between rows of two crates, immediately moving on to the next two rows. It'll bounce all the way to the end taking both out.

I still finished with 0s on the clock, but my daughter and wife did better... eventually.

Assemble!

Been slow going... 90 stars in... but the difficulty level is starting to get fun/challenging. The game really felt as though it started for real after the final Bowser battle. Now it's just ridiculous platforming.

Can't wait for green stars.

zigg said:
Run directly down to one of the lower corners and just walk along the bottom tossing one fireball straight up between rows of two crates, immediately moving on to the next two rows. It'll bounce all the way to the end taking both out.

I still finished with 0s on the clock, but my daughter and wife did better... eventually.

yeah, took me a bunch of tries too, luckily failure doesn't kill you, like failing the chimp octo-army bopping challenge does >_>

my strategy
was to immediately throw a fireball straight up, which takes out all of the boxes. instead of standing there watching/confirming, continue to move on while the fireball is still going. I went left and in the center threw up, down, and left as many times as I needed til they were all out, but never spamming; always lined up shots. Then I went right and did the same thing. I would consistently run out of time with just 1 box left, the batch up top right but in the middle. Eventually I realized to move towards the boxes with this final batch and I finally got it with 1s left on the clock.

zigg

rhino4evr said:
I'm at 65 stars...does this game ever stop getting amazing..every level I try seems to wow me in new ways. Love it so so much!

It doesn't stop, but it pauses when you get to crate-burning stars. :lol

Top Bottom