• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

zigg said:
Really, you just aren't very good at it. The Wii Remote is perfectly accurate when it comes to tilt, which is what both of these things use.

If you were talking about shaking or something then you'd have a point.

Oh stop it. I got 120 stars no problem. Games a lot easier than people made it out to be.

The fluzzard and most motion control "mini-games" in this game are unresponsive and ambiguous. The wii motion controls are ALWAYS unresponsive and lag way too much. If you turn the fluzzard a little too much, he'll stop responding. If you turn your controller too fast, he won't respond properly. And there is no feedback to whether you are doing any of those no-nos. The amount of lag and unresponsiveness in shaking the controller = to amount of lag and unresponsiveness in tilting it. It's the same controller. If your controller can't recognize wild random movement as a "shake" then how exactly do you come up with the idea that it's ability to decipher tilts as "perfectly accurate?"

Not only is there input lag up the wazoo, but the fluzzard himself is very slow to respond after the fact. there's nothing fun about compensating for double lag. Then, when the fluzzard doesn't go where you want him to, it becomes a whodunnit - fluzzard's slow ass response time, my controller response time or me? The end result isn't exciting or fun like the giant slide, the yoshi red pepper power up or the rock powerup. If any of those things used motion controls, would it improve the game or make it harder for all the wrong reasons? Cause that's what fluzzard and manta ray games are - hard for the wrong reasons like playing TF2 on a laggy server.

Mr. B Natural said:
The amount of lag and unresponsiveness in shaking the controller = to amount of lag and unresponsiveness in tilting it. It's the same controller. If your controller can't recognize wild random movement as a "shake" then how exactly do you come up with the idea that it's ability to decipher tilts as "perfectly accurate?"
:lol :lol :lol

That's the type of logic I'd expect a 10 year old to use.

789shadow

Banned
Joey Fox said:
Haha this one sucked so hard, but it was so rewarding to finally complete. :D
I was literally at one point in a ground pound above the final switch....and then a freaking clone knocked me all over the place.

Mike M

Nick N
The Chompworks clones are the only clones that gave me any trouble (Well, so far any way.), and even then I got it after a few tries. I actually really liked that level, it was kinda challenging, but I could see exactly what I needed to do and every failure was entirely my fault.

rhino4evr

Wow Wow Wow..

that's all I can say after my last 10 stars..Im at 82.

World 5 Boss..was the best boss in a Mario game.
Molty Monster was the most graphically impressive thing I've seen on the Wii.
Clockwork was pure genius.

meanwhile...I had trouble on Double Time Silver Stars..but finally finished it with only 1 life left!
and the 2nd Blue Chimp Combo Challenge was pretty intense.

Anyone else think the second Chimp Ice Skate challenge was easier then the first one?

Also..the Throwback galaxy was a bit of a disappointment..I understand that Nintendo wanted to reward old school players..but the level was super easy, did not belong in World 6 IMO.

Anyway, just stating the obvious..Nintendo is KING of platformers..and will remain king for years to come...

Cant wait for the next world....

rhino4evr said:
Wow Wow Wow..

that's all I can say after my last 10 stars..Im at 82.

World 5 Boss..was the best boss in a Mario game.
Molty Monster was the most graphically impressive thing I've seen on the Wii.
Clockwork was pure genius.

meanwhile...I had trouble on Double Time Silver Stars..but finally finished it with only 1 life left!
and the 2nd Blue Chimp Combo Challenge was pretty intense.

Anyone else think the second Chimp Ice Skate challenge was easier then the first one?

Also..the Throwback galaxy was a bit of a disappointment..I understand that Nintendo wanted to reward old school players..but the level was super easy, did not belong in World 6 IMO.

Anyway, just stating the obvious..Nintendo is KING of platformers..and will remain king for years to come...

Cant wait for the next world....

The Double Time Silver Star thing was hard for a few lives, but never frustrating. Most of my deaths I just laughed at.

The second chimp combo challenge was ok, but only took a few tries.

The second ice skating challenge was easier than the first I thought. Total agreement there.

And I will echo my disappointment with Throwback Galaxy's difficulty. It was awesome having that stage there, but it was very short and simple for world 6. Perhaps if the comet coin there just fucked the whole stage up and you had to use freaky gravity effects?

789shadow

Banned
Mike M said:
The Chompworks clones are the only clones that gave me any trouble (Well, so far any way.), and even then I got it after a few tries. I actually really liked that level, it was kinda challenging, but I could see exactly what I needed to do and every failure was entirely my fault.

Well, maybe you can help me out, cause' I sure can't figure it out.

soldat7

Haunted said:
Fluzzard levels are worse than the Manta races from the first game.

Agreed. The Chimp challenges suck too. I don't know if I can be bothered getting all the stars this time around. Brilliant game otherwise.

BowieZ

Banned
It should have gone:

6-1 Clockwork Ruins
6-2 Flash Black Galaxy <-> 6-3 Flip-Out Galaxy
6-4 Slimy Spring Galaxy
6-5 Melty Molten Galaxy -> 6-bonus Rolling Coaster Galaxy
6-Bowser's Galaxy Generator

And put Throwback Galaxy and the lame Battle Belt Galaxy in the following world.

rhino4evr

EuropeOG said:
Playing now, game is awesome, and very pretty.
By the time you get to world 5 you will not be jus wowed by the visuals..but the intense gameplay.

Unless I just haven't found many, there don't seem to be a lot of Daredevil stars in this game..I think I've only played 1 so far.

I think I'm done with the blue chimp challenges...how many are there?

789shadow said:
Just a helpful tip for shadow clones--move slowly, and the clones will move slowly too. When you are waiting for the Chomp to make its round to where you are, you can kill time without the shadow clones being a bother by walking a few steps, pausing for a second, then repeat.

Okay, I finished
Grandmaster Galaxy
without too much issue, but after finding out I have to
daredevil run it
for the comet star... I think I'm going to shoot myself. :lol :lol :lol

Mike M

Nick N
789shadow said:
Mostly it's a matter of taking out all the enemies on the way there and walking real slow off to one side so all the clones bunch up out of the way before dashing off to lower a platform for the Chomp. Don't just run full speed the whole time.

120 stars! I never thought I would finish the last world so quickly, the most I died was on Rainbow Road, and that was only three times. Luigis Purple Coins and the boss rush had potential to be awful, but by pure luck I beat them on my first try.

The worst levels had to be the Purple Coin Slide and the Purple Coin hunt on Clockwork Ruins Galaxy. Mainly because the controls just barely worked on those levels, and I died a bunch from Mario just plain ignoring where I was trying to move him.

Jasoco

Banned
Some thoughts so far:

After finishing them I have concluded that despite my initial frustrated posting, Fluzzard, the Chimp and the Box burning robot are not that bad and are much better than their Galaxy 1 equivalents. Fluzzard's levels are much cooler graphically, and once you figure out the path much easier to navigate than the Manta levels that require you to slow down a lot to turn sharply and have no fucking sides. The chimp levels were so neat to play around in to figure out how to get the best combos; especially the last one
in Slimy Spring
. And the box burning was so much easier and less frustrating than meticulously placing bombs.

The robots that like collecting things are adorable. I love the idea of artificial intelligence being in love with life. I wish there were more than just a spinning robot and a Goomba collector.

Ball rolling levels are still awesome. Unless they're a purple coin level.

Purple Coins found a way to be more frustrating.

Going into
Supermassive Galaxy and getting to the Koopa Troopa planet
to fill up on lives is the easiest way to stock up for a long star collecting journey.

Going on the Green Stars, omg so awesome.

Motion controls still factually perfect, Ball Rolling remains one of the best parts of the game, haters annihilated.

Teknoman

Yeah, I have no problem with ball rolling or gliding. Chimp challenges are really easy...or is that where the complaints are coming from?

Neiteio

So guys, what's everyone's favorite boss battle here?

I'm oddly partial to Giga Lakitu (Yoshi Star Galaxy - Spiny Control)...

BowieZ

Banned
Seeing and hearing Glamdozer fart out lava through her mouth is oddly satisfying to me, but I'm gonna have to go with the obvious choice: Boomsday.

Jasoco

Banned
Oh wait. Why did I say ball rolling sucked? I love ball rolling. Nevermind. Actually, after spending only 10 lives to get Chompworks' comet star I have to say there is nothing horrible about this game anymore.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Neiteio said:
So guys, what's everyone's favorite boss battle here?

I'm oddly partial to Giga Lakitu (Yoshi Star Galaxy - Spiny Control)...

World 5's Bowser JR. Pure fucking awesome.

DJ_Lae

People have trouble with Fluzzard? He was a bit unresponsive, sure, but nowhere near as bad as the Manta level(s?) in the first game and you get used to how he controls after half the first stage. The only annoyances were trying to nab the comet coins, which required a bit too much precision if you weren't already lined up after nailing the final gate.

Just broke 130 the other day and I kind of like they way they've done the second set of stars compared the first game.

I hated
Boss Blitz Rush, though. Only level that really got me annoyed and swearing at the game, mostly due to the stone ghost boss. Most of the times I fought him he refused to summon enough rocks in his second form and wasted huge chunks of my five minutes by punching at me or summoning spikes. I don't know if there's a trick to get him to do a particular attack, but it sure seemed random to me and eventually he did things in the right order.

pakkit

Banned
The motion control is pretty spot on. To those complaining, how often have you played a motion controlled game?

Fluzzard has a learning curve, but once you "get" it it's smooth gliding. I prefer the Manta Ray from SMG1 though, just for the wave physics.

BowieZ

Banned
DJ_Lae said:
I hated
Boss Blitz Rush, though. Only level that really got me annoyed and swearing at the game, mostly due to the stone ghost boss. Most of the times I fought him he refused to summon enough rocks in his second form and wasted huge chunks of my five minutes by punching at me or summoning spikes. I don't know if there's a trick to get him to do a particular attack, but it sure seemed random to me and eventually he did things in the right order.
Unless you're incredibly skilled and have a bit of luck, I think the thing with that mission is that you simply cannot miss. You HAVE to
hit the Bouldergeist
without wasting a
Bomb Boo
. Don't be misled by the fact it's a Speedy Comet: it's really a DEAL WITH THESE ENEMIES FLAWLESSLY Comet.

Doorman

I've said it once already but I think the only real bad part about Fluzzard is the way they handled left-to-right movement. It still would have made much more sense to me to turn the remote rather than twisting it like the manta races, because that way you can just imagine the front of the remote as Fluzzard's nose/aim direction. It took some getting used to, but it's not bad except for the annoyance of that one comet coin gate on Fleet Glide.

Ball Rolling remains just as awesome as it was in the first game.

Again it's fun to see what stars some people are complaining about compared to my own experiences. I'm pretty sure I beat Chompworks cosmic clones on my first try of it, but meanwhile Melty Monster's second star and
Stone Cyclone, especially the first green star
gave me fits. Up to somewhere in the realm of 190 stars now and loving it except for a few camera niggles.

Jasoco

Banned
Shit. Just beat
Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos
after like 25 deaths. God. Still easier than the original. Now the comet just appeared for
Boss Blitz
and I only have 3 more left before I have 120. Daaaaaamn. I am so close!

gumshoe

Banned
Mike M said:

I died at least 15 times on the first day. Then I came back to complete the challenge on the next day and I did it on my second attempt. :lol

Jasoco

Banned
That's the beauty of it. If you ever have a lot of trouble with a star, you can usually take a long break and come back refreshed. It's usually because you've gotten to the point of frustration where you can't concentrate properly and are just wasting life after life doing stupid things. When you clear your head and come back you're thinking straighter and are able to do it much more calmly.

Three stars left. Can't believe I'm so close to 120. Then 121.
Then 242!
Can't wait for
the green stars!

Is it just me, or does Rosalina's cosmic witch appearance scare the shit out of anyone else? Just her otherworldly appearance, the fact that she pops up where she wasn't before watching you... seeing her creeps me out the same as if I were seeing an actual ghost in real life

Uh so everyone keeps saying there's supposed to be 242 stars but I just got the 241st star and the Cosmic Token from the Grandmaster Galaxy but nothing happened and the game isn't giving me any indication of what I'm supposed to do, did I miss something?

nincompoop said:
Uh so everyone keeps saying there's supposed to be 242 stars but I just got the 241st star and the Cosmic Token from the Grandmaster Galaxy but nothing happened and the game isn't giving me any indication of what I'm supposed to do, did I miss something?

You need
9999 star bits in the Toad Bank. Seriously.

Holy Order Sol said:
You need
9999 star bits in the Toad Bank. Seriously.
...that's really dumb.

So what's the best place to grind for star bits? Or better yet, is there an Ocarina code that'll give me more?

Portugeezer

rhino4evr said:
By the time you get to world 5 you will not be jus wowed by the visuals..but the intense gameplay.

Unless I just haven't found many, there don't seem to be a lot of Daredevil stars in this game..I think I've only played 1 so far.

I think I'm done with the blue chimp challenges...how many are there?
I was on World 5 when I typed that. World 6 now and boy it's getting more challenging. A lot more timing based platforming.

This game never gets old though, no levels feel the same, always fresh.

Top Bottom