• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Chatin

242! Never had a problem with the boomerangs. It was trying to make it past those flipping panels and hoping not to take a hammer to the head. And worrying that I'd go up to spin attack and the waggle would fail to work.

I'm going to go back and work through Luigi's 120 on SMG1, now. That's how much I love this game: it's getting me to go back and play the last again to extend the enjoyment. :D

Adam J.

I'm 54 stars in and have been getting my plump Italian ass handed to me for like the last 10. I love the game, but being required to get some of the pesky "?" stars in order to advance to new galaxies is really starting to wear on my patience.

I remember one star I attempted to get where you have like 20 seconds to blow up a billion crates with the fire mushroom for one of the robot guys. I was lucky to get half of them. I wanted to kick that little tin-can bastard all the way back to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Forkball

So I got the prankster comet on
Mario Squared Galaxy.
I thought to myself, "Nintendo wants to make it frustrating as hell, so it will probably be
Purple coins
or
cosmic clones.
I highly underestimated their cruelty.

Chatin said:
242! Never had a problem with the boomerangs. It was trying to make it past those flipping panels and hoping not to take a hammer to the head. And worrying that I'd go up to spin attack and the waggle would fail to work.

I'm going to go back and work through Luigi's 120 on SMG1, now. That's how much I love this game: it's getting me to go back and play the last again to extend the enjoyment. :D

I don't know how many times I cried, "I shook the Wiimote! I really did! Please! Arrrghhhh!" So annoying.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Good progress today. I just finished gold crowning worlds 1-3. 174 stars. Time to call it a night, I think!

Branduil

Forkball said:
So I got the prankster comet on
Mario Squared Galaxy.
I thought to myself, "Nintendo wants to make it frustrating as hell, so it will probably be
Purple coins
or
cosmic clones.
I highly underestimated their cruelty.
I died on 99 twice before getting it.

fireside

Chatin said:
I used Yoshi to get a lot of star bits in the first bit and then just pepper sprayed everyone with star bits at the last part.

Haunted

Fluzzard levels are worse than the Manta races from the first game.

Tiny nitpicking and talking about subjective preferences in design decisions is all I have left, this game is so fucking perfect otherwise.

The level design is the best I have ever experienced, in any game. Bowser's gravity gauntlet? Fucking genius.

rhino4evr

So I'm at just about 70 stars..holy shit this game is pretty difficult..I mean I enjoy a challenge, but some of these stars are pure evil. My current nemesis is double time silver stars...holy crap!!!

I mean I don't think I've ever seen the game over screen once in galaxy 1 and I've seems it at least 3 times already.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
rhino4evr said:
So I'm at just about 70 stars..holy shit this game is pretty difficult..I mean I enjoy a challenge, but some of these stars are pure evil. My current nemesis is double time silver stars...holy crap!!!

Lol I died about 10 times until I found Yoshi. He makes it easy.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
rhino4evr said:
Really why? I avoided getting him because I thought he'd slow me down.

Na he runs faster and in case of emergency you can just float. Last choice is to jump from his back. At least he made it 10 times easier on me =P

Christine

Haunted said:
Fluzzard levels are worse than the Manta races from the first game.

I disagree. The levels are more visually interesting, the music is better (especially on fleet glide), the controls are pure tilt rather than having a button for accelerator, and just work a little better in general.

Jibber is an obnoxious little pest though, I'll give you that.

omg, stone cyclone star 1 kicked the shit out of me. 40+ lives, no lie. this was going for all 5 silver stars and the comet medal all in 1, but still

impirius

Post-120... the first thing in Boo Moon and the third thing in Melty Monster. Good lord. I burned so many lives.

I love this game more and more each time I play it.

SaintZ

TwinIonEngines said:
I disagree. The levels are more visually interesting, the music is better (especially on fleet glide), the controls are pure tilt rather than having a button for accelerator, and just work a little better in general.
I agree! And you're fighting against the current during the Manta races in SMG too. With Fluzzard, the race is all soft and the level is shorter I believe.

TwinIonEngines said:

Jibber is an obnoxious little pest though, I'll give you that.

Sadly i prefer the button to control speed cause the motion controls are just so unresponsive and ambiguous. Buttons don't have that problem. i love the idea of the fluzzard, but it plays really bad.

fluzzard = bad
manta ray = bad
anything that brings the wii's abilities to the test involving any form of precision= bad
The ideas get me all excited and i'm always let down.

Pointing at the screen to do actions is fine. the wind blowing levels in galaxy 1 i thought worked well.

Forkball

117 stars. Where are the comet coins in
Flip Out Galaxy
and
Boss Blitz Galaxy
? Those are the only two I'm missing. Also the prankster comet in
Cyclone Stone Galaxy
will cause me to go bald.

jman2050

Forkball said:
Flip Out Galaxy
and
Boss Blitz Galaxy
Cyclone Stone Galaxy

1. In the area before the end with the spikes on the ground, it's on top of the first blue enclosure. Getting there is kind of tricky.
2. Go under the second boss. I missed this one the first time too, pissed me off cause finishing that star is an exercise in frustration.

AniHawk

Forkball said:
Flip Out Galaxy
and
Boss Blitz Galaxy
Cyclone Stone Galaxy

flip out:
after the third flag, above the first 1up mushroom you see. it's on top that blue platform.

boss blitz:
second boss fight, run to the underside of the level. there will be a power up mushroom and above it, a comet coin

Jasoco

Banned
Ugh. I just beat the second Fluzzard stage. Even though I didn't beat the first one yet. Question: When I go back to get the coin, do I have to get first place in order to keep it? Please tell me NO. PLEASE TELL ME I DON'T HAVE TO GET THE COIN AND FIRST PLACE. Because if I do, I will throw this fucking disc out the fucking window.

Also, I found the one in
Boss Blitz
by accident. I never would have thought to look there. lol

Oh, and just beat
Jungle Fliuzzard Race
on first try. No coin though again. Where are they?

Jasoco said:
Ugh. I just beat the second Fluzzard stage. Even though I didn't beat the first one yet. Question: When I go back to get the coin, do I have to get first place in order to keep it? Please tell me NO. PLEASE TELL ME I DON'T HAVE TO GET THE COIN AND FIRST PLACE. Because if I do, I will throw this fucking disc out the fucking window.

Also, I found the one in
Boss Blitz
by accident. I never would have thought to look there. lol

Oh, and just beat
Jungle Fliuzzard Race
The tokens are always available on the first mission in each galaxy, but not necessarily on subsequent missions (I don't think).

AniHawk

Jasoco said:
Oh, and just beat
Jungle Fliuzzard Race

you need to run through every gate, and it appears at the end before the goal on the left side, i think.

Jasoco

Banned
Oh yeah. I forgot I had to get them on the first star. Thanks for letting me know about the gates. Gotta get those stars! I'm getting so close! I'm up to 108! 2 more and I get another level in
World S
. :D

PhoncipleBone said:
Ok, fuck the clones on Chomp Works comet star. UGH. Tips?

Always keep to the right when you are walking or jumping. That way, you won't run into your clones on your way back. Keep a steady pace, but and don't worry about going too fast (especially in the beginning). You don't want to go too fast, or you'll find yourself bombarded with clones as you are waiting for the chomp to show up.

Coolio McAwesome said:
Always keep to the right when you are walking or jumping. That way, you won't run into your clones on your way back. Keep a steady pace, but and don't worry about going too fast (especially in the beginning). You don't want to go too fast, or you'll find yourself bombarded with clones as you are waiting for the chomp to show up.
Cool. Will try that tomorrow when I am more awake. Thank you.

Jasoco

Banned
I literally ran out of time two inches from the star on
Bowser's Big Bad Speed Run
because I missed a single clock. But I got it! God dammit.

Jasoco said:
I literally ran out of time two inches from the star on
Bowser's Big Bad Speed Run
because I missed a single clock. But I got it! God dammit.
Those are the most satisfying to me. Where it is literally at the last second but you still pull through. That happened to me on one of the chimp challenges. Truly a satisfying experience.

Jasoco

Banned
I meant I got it later. When I ran out of time, Mario and Yoshi standing on the ground under the star crying that they missed it by a millisecond. A few tries later and I made sure to get every goddamned clock. Why even have the clocks if they're all required? Just have the time limit from the beginning.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jasoco said:
I meant I got it later. When I ran out of time, Mario and Yoshi standing on the ground under the star crying that they missed it by a millisecond. A few tries later and I made sure to get every goddamned clock. Why even have the clocks if they're all required? Just have the time limit from the beginning.

I always feel more pressured with the clocks since you can waste time getting them, instead of an "easier" base time limit to beat.

Jasoco

Banned
I'm a lot closer to 120 today than I was when I turned it on this afternoon. I have a handful of stars left and one more level to uncover. And the only coin I have left is in that last level. Most of the comets I have left are purple coin ones. Bah. But I have beaten the bird and the monkey and I hope they don't come back. Ever.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, looks like this is going to be only 39 Eurobucks on Amazon Germany (once it's out on the 11th). I wonder how/why they're doing this but can't say I'm complaining.

zigg

Mr. B Natural said:
Sadly i prefer the button to control speed cause the motion controls are just so unresponsive and ambiguous. Buttons don't have that problem. i love the idea of the fluzzard, but it plays really bad.

fluzzard = bad
manta ray = bad
anything that brings the wii's abilities to the test involving any form of precision= bad
The ideas get me all excited and i'm always let down.

Really, you just aren't very good at it. The Wii Remote is perfectly accurate when it comes to tilt, which is what both of these things use.

If you were talking about shaking or something then you'd have a point.

cantona222

Ordered the game along with Alan Wake, and Split/Second.
I think I'll start with Super Mario Galaxy 2. I wanna give the Wii its share of time since it's been a while since the last time I played with the it.

elektrixx

Banned
Because of Galaxy 2 I've started playing the first Galaxy again!

Galaxy: 102. Galaxy 2: 69.

I consider Super Mario Galaxy 2 to be my greatest game of all time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So how did everyone else get the Flip Out comet coin? I
got all the way to the end, wall-jumped up to the small solid ledge, then loooong jumped over to the second blue platform, and long-jump spun over to the first w/ coin

Jasoco said:
Yeah, as I see it with like an overall four minute limit you don't have a good idea of how long the level will take, you might dilly-dally at one point and screw yourself two minutes down the line. With the clocks you always have a very imminent deadline forcing you forward.

Top Bottom