• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Bentendo

rhino4evr said:
EXACTLY! Despite it's faults...its still a Mario game..which means it's a lot more fun then most games.

I mean I wouldnt have put up with that Blue Coin shit with any other video game mascot.

Ok..sorry to derail..back to Galaxy 2...

Yes, let's get back on track... umm...

Well, I pre-ordered this game about a week ago...

*looks around*

Sunshine was brilliant. Anyone who says otherwise was too focused on the fact that the stages all had a similar theme despite that fact being one of the game's highlights. The blue coins were so fun to find - it's not a crime to see how many each stage has online or in a strategy guide. The camera was NOT an issue and F.L.U.D.D. was genius.

But I digress. In Galaxy 2, the mere fact that Pinatas are in the game imply that the developers are proud of what they created and that a sizable group of fans have shown their support for the Mario classic.

Peff

Bentendo said:
it's not a crime to see how many each stage has online or in a strategy guide.

Sure, but those 24 stars could have been three more stages :p Still, I do love Sunshine, it's just that "spray one of the lamps outside the hotel" or "use the damn boat in the volcano to reach the eight coins around you" weren't as fun as the rest of the game.

And, uh, Galaxy 2.

Yes.

Dr.+Heinz+Doofenshmirtz.jpg

CURSE YOU, NoE THE PUBLISHER!

Bentendo

Willy105 said:
Mario Sunshine's problem was that it was too hard. It was a masterpiece, but it was also too frustrating.

I agree that it would be an extremely daunting task to receive all the stars. I say "would be" because it's the only 3D game in which I was unable to get all 120 stars. I beat the game but the blue coins were just too hard to collect (despite being one of the game's pros).

Amir0x

Banned
Sunshine was hard, hm? This is why gamers keep receiving such pussy games today! Even my little cousin Alex got all the shines, and he was only 9.

Perseverance, brothas!

<3 Sunshine so much

Vinci

Danish
Amir0x said:
Sunshine was hard, hm? This is why gamers keep receiving such pussy games today! Even my little cousin Alex got all the shines, and he was only 9.

Perseverance, brothas!

<3 Sunshine so much

Yeah, Sunshine was a really, really great game. By any standard.

Bentendo

Peff said:
Sure, but those 24 stars could have been three more stages :p Still, I do love Sunshine, it's just that "spray one of the lamps outside the hotel" or "use the damn boat in the volcano to reach the eight coins around you" weren't as fun as the rest of the game.

Hmmm, I guess I do see your point. It probably would have been better to separate them from the stars altogether and sort of make them a post-120 star game, because I do have to agree that compared to the regular stars they aren't nearly as fun.

But, I'd have to say the same thing about the prankster comets in Galaxy. Some of them were fun like the purple coin or racing challenges but others, like trying to get through a stage within a certain time or going through a stage without getting hurt once were just annoying (to me at least).

Amir0x

Banned
farnham said:
BLASPHEMY!

is the whole mario 64 remake thingy comming out of this vid..??

It's definitely not blasphemy to have no interest in shallow sport mini-game compilations.

Super MARIO GALAXY is the reason Wii exists. let us zen in this truth

Vinci said:
Yeah, Sunshine was a really, really great game. By any standard.

I love so many of the things it did. I loved the focused vacation theme, thought it was brilliant and creative. I love FLUDD, thought it added a layer to the many different acrobatics Mario could perform. Further, I loved the FLUDD-less segments, they were some of the most brilliant Mario platforming ever. I liked the amount of secrets. I loved the pacing.

I basically just didn't like the camera and the voice acting.

WillyFive

Amir0x said:
It's definitely not blasphemy to have no interest in shallow sport mini-game compilations.

The Wii exists because of Wii Sports. Mario Galaxy would still have existed if we got the Gamecube 2.

Amir0x

Banned
No, Wii Sports merely gave the Wii a chance to become the Super Mario Galaxy machine. Wii Sports only purpose was to deliver time to get Super Mario Galaxy. Certainly, it has no merits as a game.

JavyOO7

I should have learned my lesson from prior game threads... never read them until after you beat the game. People openly talking about spoilers. Great. =/

Peff

Bentendo said:
But, I'd have to say the same thing about the prankster comets in Galaxy. Some of them were fun like the purple coin or racing challenges but others, like trying to get through a stage within a certain time or going through a stage without getting hurt once were just annoying (to me at least).

Yeah, I agree with that. It was an attempt at making the final stretch of the game harder but to be honest it wasn't quite that difficult (everyone remembers Coins Over Luigi but after a handful of tries you already knew which route to take). Are these in SMG2 too?

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah we should respect people who dont wish to see Mario Galaxy 2 spoilers.

Still, it's amusing the idea of Mario spoilers...

Mario is out in space, there is yoshi, Bowser fucks shit up, you fight him, there is crazy themes and more space faring adventuring.

It's always the same old with a different coat of paint, maybe a new power up. But I understand.

Bentendo

Amir0x said:

I totally agree.
Thank God Wii Sports Resort was actually a brilliant, non-shallow sports game and the only way to play a decent, pseudo-Pilotwings sequel.

Vinci

Danish
Amir0x said:
I love so many of the things it did. I loved the focused vacation theme, thought it was brilliant and creative. I love FLUDD, thought it added a layer to the many different acrobatics Mario could perform. Further, I loved the FLUDD-less segments, they were some of the most brilliant Mario platforming ever. I liked the amount of secrets. I loved the pacing.

I basically just didn't like the camera and the voice acting.

Fucking nailed it. I loved FLUDD; it made it fun to just dick around in the environments. Hell, I didn't even focus on the goals many times, I'd just find an area that allowed me to run around and/or jet-ski around using FLUDD, and I'd be in heaven.

Also agree with the FLUDD-less stages, as they were brilliantly designed and indicative of the genius that would be unleashed on Galaxy years later.

The camera only bothered me in certain areas, but the voice acting? Yeah. Horrid.

farnham

Banned
i really hope galaxy 2 has some better music then galaxy 1

not that galaxy 1s music was bad or anything (gusty garden is still the best piece of VGM eva)

but compared to Sunshines Music it felt lacking

Sunshine's biggest problem was how broken up the pacing was. The water pack made *everything* take forever. The Hover jumps took a huge amount of time and were ridiculously safe, and aiming the goddamn nozzle... oh man. There was also something about either the levels or how Mario moved too, way too much stuttering and stopping, and fritzing. Might have been a camera issue too.

Not to mention some of the "mini-game" shines were just godawful.

Bentendo

Peff said:
Yeah, I agree with that. It was an attempt at making the final stretch of the game harder but to be honest it wasn't quite that difficult (everyone remembers Coins Over Luigi but after a handful of tries you already knew which route to take). Are these in SMG2 too?

The difficulty wasn't the problem with most of the prankster comets, it just felt like the programmers said "you know what would be easy to do? How about we just put a timer on this stage and pretend it's a new star!"

And as far as I know, they
unfortunately
do appear in Galaxy 2.

Amir0x

Banned
Bentendo said:
I totally agree.
Thank God Wii Sports Resort was actually a brilliant, non-shallow sports game and the only way to play a decent, pseudo-Pilotwings sequel.

it's amusing because even the pilotwings game was infinitely inferior to a real pilotwings game. Because like all mini-game compilations, each segment is not given the thought or time of dedicated products, and as such their individual components waver and collapse beneath any legitimate scrutiny.

But I digress. Super Mario Galaxy is in its own universe, blessedly free from such taints.

Vinci said:
Fucking nailed it. I loved FLUDD; it made it fun to just dick around in the environments. Hell, I didn't even focus on the goals many times, I'd just find an area that allowed me to run around and/or jet-ski around using FLUDD, and I'd be in heaven.

Also agree with the FLUDD-less stages, as they were brilliantly designed and indicative of the genius that would be unleashed on Galaxy years later.

The camera only bothered me in certain areas, but the voice acting? Yeah. Horrid.

Yup. I loved finding ways to make getting to objectives shorter; FLUDD really extended my acrobatics to a point where experimentation was really the goal. So many times I would figure out these unique paths to different shines, and I'd be fucking fist pumping by the end.

I would >love< to see Super Mario Galaxy 3 have FLUDD segments.

[Nintex]

This week I'll head over to NoE to play about 1/3 of the retail version of Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Yay for that, booooo! for the fact that they have a full version of the game ready and won't release it yet because they want to see how badly Sin & Punishment 2 bombs :(

I did my part and bought Sin & Punishment 2.

Sunshine was great, I loved messing around in Delphino island, too bad some areas weren't tested properly and there's some bad design decisions here and there but overall it was a great and most of all fun game.

farnham

Banned
Amir0x said:
it's amusing because even the pilotwings game was infinitely inferior to a real pilotwings game. Because like all mini-game compilations, each segment is not given the thought or time of dedicated products, and as such their individual components waver and collapse beneath any legitimate scrutiny.
this is not a wii sports thread. but thats exactly the reason why i love wii sports so much. each mini game does feel like it could be its own game. wii sports (seriously all the 5 games were made really well) more so then wii sports resort.

Bentendo

Amir0x said:

But I digress. Super Mario Galaxy is in its own universe, blessedly free from such taints.

I do see your point. However, Wuhu Island to me was an infinitely more appealing world than its SNES/N64 predecessor and the act of collecting "information points" was very fun and something I hope they include in the "true" sequel.

In fact, I kind of which they'd include something like that in Galaxy. It'd be kind of fun to go around the game's world and look for certain points that, when touched, you are given information on the landmark. It kind of reminds me of the scan system in Metroid Prime and the commentary system in Valve's games (the former of which I think should be included in every title :D)

Amir0x

Banned
farnham said:
each mini game does feel like it could be its own game.

hahaha what. God you're right I'm gonna Pm you my response. Absurd.

Bentendo said:
In fact, I kind of which they'd include something like that in Galaxy. It'd be kind of fun to go around the game's world and look for certain points that, when touched, you are given information on the landmark. It kind of reminds me of the scan system in Metroid Prime and the commentary system in Valve's games (the former of which I think should be included in every title

I loved the Metroid Prime scan system. Was a way to allow substantive universe building without being intrusive. Also, it's a "at your own leisure" type of story telling.

Bentendo

farnham said:
this is not a wii sports thread. but thats exactly the reason why i love wii sports so much. each mini game does feel like it could be its own game. wii sports (seriously all the 5 games were made really well) more so then wii sports resort.

The original Wii Sports is one of the worst Nintendo EAD games ever created. I feel like we should get back on topic by talking about Galaxy 2 but before we do, let me just say: it's a fact - the original was terrible. Wii Sports Resort, on the other hand, wasn't. It was legitimately a good title with only a few hiccups (canoeing, basketball). I would love to see a documentary on the creation of Wuhu Island. Personally I think it would be very enjoyable to see how much work went into creating a world that, while new, is so appealing.

MYE

farnham said:
i really hope galaxy 2 has some better music then galaxy 1

not that galaxy 1s music was bad or anything (gusty garden is still the best piece of VGM eva)

but compared to Sunshines Music it felt lacking

wooooo-oooooo....we must be stepping into the Twilight Zone guys!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Amir0x said:

The Wii was created so that companies like Treasure could bake a delicious tres leches Sin and Punishment 2 cakes with vanilla pudding as frost.

I find the Galaxies to be more like the strawberries on top of the cake.

MYE

Hey farnham, go clean the fucking mess you made you know where.
You just spoiled the latest video to everybody on purpose, asshole D:

On Topic: This thread is going down the tubes :(

Bentendo

Regulus Tera said:
The Wii was created so that companies like Treasure could bake a delicious tres leches Sin and Punishment 2 cakes with vanilla pudding as frost.

I find the Galaxies to be more like the strawberries on top of the cake.

Vanilla pudding as cake frosting sounds delicious. But I agree: there seems to be a lot of unique games on the Wii that wouldn't be created for the other systems due to HD costs. The one that comes to mind more than any other is Little King's Story.

I despise when hype threads turn into X game from the franchise was better than Y game in the franchise so forthcoming Z should be more like X and less like Y. It's Mario Galaxy 2, we didn't even expect to get this game at all a little over a year ago and now it's slowly outdoing its predecessor in every regard. Stfu and bask in the glory.

farnham

Banned
MYE said:
Hey farnham, go clean the fucking mess you made you know where.
You just spoiled the latest video to everybody on purpose, asshole D:

On Topic: This thread is going down the tubes :(
I deleted the vid. But it was linked somewhere else in the thread. Also I never intended to spoil anything. In fact the vid is published by nintendo themselves and is part of their marketing campaign.

MYE said:
wooooo-oooooo....we must be stepping into the Twilight Zone guys!

the twilight zone called personal preference

Vinci

Danish
People are discussing prior Mario games. I fail to see why this is so horrible when Galaxy 2 isn't out. We can't play it. Believe me, every single one of us would prefer to be playing and discussing it - but we can't so we don't. There's only so much media we can consume and discuss.

Trust this: Once the game is out, discussion of prior games (with the exception of maybe the first Galaxy) will come to a crashing halt. Relax.

Anth0ny

Willy105 said:
Mario Sunshine's problem was that it was too hard. It was a masterpiece, but it was also too frustrating.

I remember it was hard to play as a kid, but too hard? No. It was that perfect difficulty that challenged you just to the point where you knew you could do it, but it was going to take a couple of tries. When you finally did succeed, you felt like a god.

At least I did. Remember that stage where you had your FLUDD stolen for the first shine? Or the stage with the sting rays and a time limit? That was fucking tough, man. But rewarding :D

Also, sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt unlockable was awesome. Not as awesome as Luigi, but awesome nonetheless :D

Shiggy

Amir0x said:
Mario is out in space, there is yoshi, Bowser fucks shit up, you fight him, there is crazy themes and more space faring adventuring.

Thanks for ruining both the story and the game for me.

farnham

Banned
Vinci said:
People are discussing prior Mario games. I fail to see why this is so horrible when Galaxy 2 isn't out. We can't play it. Believe me, every single one of us would prefer to be playing and discussing it - but we can't so we don't. There's only so much media we can consume and discuss.

Trust this: Once the game is out, discussion of prior games (with the exception of maybe the first Galaxy) will come to a crashing halt. Relax.
speaking of new media

this weeks nintendo week features mario galaxy 2

posted ?

Rich!

Kard8p3 said:
This is going to be the longest week ever.

Even longer considering quite a few people will probably be getting it delivered early/buying it from street date breaking stores.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I just briefly glanced at the last 2 pages of this thread, and from what I gathered, there's supposed to be a Wii Sports remake in SMG2? :O

Rich!

Oblivion said:
So I just briefly glanced at the last 2 pages of this thread, and from what I gathered, there's supposed to be a Wii Sports remake in SMG2? :O

Not only that, but a cameo from Marcus Fenix.

MYE

Oblivion said:

Wii Sports Resort

Top Bottom