• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Shiggy

Oblivion said:
So I just briefly glanced at the last 2 pages of this thread, and from what I gathered, there's supposed to be a Wii Sports remake in SMG2? :O

Yes, the golf remake with Mario is the reason why it's not rated E but AO.

Willectro

Banned
I'm LTTP with Super Mario Galaxy since I just got a Wii this week. I'm about 8 hours in and so far its the best 3d platformer I've ever played. Can't wait for Galaxy 2!

Nabs

will52 said:
I'm LTTP with Super Mario Galaxy since I just got a Wii this week. I'm about 8 hours in and so far its the best 3d platformer I've ever played. Can't wait for Galaxy 2!
do me a favor and play through the entire game. don't stop at 60.

500x_supermariodisc.jpg

drool

MisterHero

bridegur said:
I've been replaying SMS, and is it just me, or does it have far, far better looking water than SMG?
To be honest I'm sure SMG and Wave Race Blue Storm are better on a tecnical level, but the interactivity of the water in Wave Race 64 feels more real to me.

But racing on water in any of those games is awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
oh man I just thought maybe I could play my copy of Super Mario Sunshine on the Dolphin Emulator and get it in awesome glory :eek:

*rushes to see how this is done*

Rich!

Amir0x said:
oh man I just thought maybe I could play my copy of Super Mario Sunshine on the Dolphin Emulator and get it in awesome glory :eek:

When I run my copy of Mario Galaxy on Dolphin, it runs pretty slowly in the festival at the start, but from the bunny catching bit onwards, its pretty decent in terms of speed.

Only problem is, Mario has no eyes. :lol

edit - goddamn, you're on about mario sunshine. :lol In that case, I get constant full speed in forced widescreen 720p on my system

Slappy967

Neo Member
GAHHHHH! Cannot wait for the weekend! Been replaying SMG as Luigi this week to finally finish the game to its most complete state. If I wrap this up before Sunday I will fire up Sunshine and get frustrated til SMG2 is home safely.

Bentendo

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/05/500x_supermariodisc.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Awesome. I see the Bob-omb Buddies and penguin from Super Mario 64 are back! [spoiler]even though I already knew this[/spoiler] *gives thumbs up*

cvxfreak

Sunshine becomes more fun the more Isle Delfino becomes brighter. I have no idea if that was intentional or not. It's definitely a wonky game at times, but thematically it's a nice refreshing pace. Besides, if Sunshine hadn't "disappointed" then Nintendo may never have been so ambitious with Galaxy.

Amir0x said:

Hey Ami, any chance you could check your PMs soon? Not sure if you saw but I sent a message.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Ok, let's talk Sunshine, then.

Sunshine was, overall, a good game. And, to date, I have yet to see better water effects in a video game. But it was frustrating in certain aspects.

I wouldn't call the game hard. In design, it wasn't. However, there were certain aspects of gameplay (mostly gimmicks) that were programmed in a way that really, really worked against the player for seemingly no reason.

A good example is riding the Octopus around, trying to collect 8 red coins. The challenge there should be trying to maneuver your "vehicle" around in order to snag them. But instead, you were totally focused on not touching ANYTHING, because if you did, you'd fall off, lose a life, exit the stage, and have to start all over. Not to mention, you're fighting the camera every step of the way, on certain levels. I specifically remember, after numerous tries, finally getting the eighth star, gliding up to the shore, and just BARELY missing the Shine because I jumped too high. I landed on a bridge of logs, and instead of gliding over them, Mario got caught on some sort of invisible edge, and fell off, onto the land. And even though he landed on the freaking ground, it took away a life, and I had to start all over.

That's not challenging. That's not difficult. That's just awful.

Just played it recently and I remember that :lol I looked up a guide when I tried to grab it and missed thinking "this can't be right, I'm missing something..."

Still I think the core platforming mechanics and larger levels were great. FLUDD allowed you to pull of some awesome moves and allowed for non-linear platforming. Many times you could get to a platform a multitude of ways.

Slappy967

Neo Member
Yea don't get me wrong even though I find myself getting frustrated as hell at times during Sunshine it is an incredible experience and easily tops any other platformer of last gen. I would love to see Sunshine get the "new play control Wii" treatment as long as they don't make the game less enjoyable like they did with Pikmin.

Pyrokai

So sorry if this has already been asked, but is there ANYWHERE that is doing a midnight launch of this game? I haven't pre-ordered it yet because I wanted to make sure to pre-order at a place that is doing a midnight launch. But I still don't know what places are doing that, if any.

Does anyone know anything related to this? Google hasn't helped, either. It's coming out in five days so I need to, you know, pre-order it asap. I just hope SOMEPLACE is doing it at midnight.

Also, I would try Wal-Mart since it is open 24 hours, but EVERY TIME I go there at midnight hoping it will be available at midnight, the employee usually has no idea what I'm talking about and says to come back in the morning or something. How can I avoid this because I KNOW they'll have that game sitting in the back room Saturday night at 11:59pm.....

Penguin

I enjoy Sunshine, it still has some pretty awesome levels and challenges. And one of my favorite Mario boss battles with the rollercoaster fight.

My issue was really the variety. For the most part there was like 7 huge stages, which were all for the most part water themed. Then there was repeated Shines like the red coins, blue coins, race against that dude, and catching Bowser Jr.

It just kind of got old after a while. And sometimes the camera angles were. :(

Sunshine has by far the best hub world – honestly, whenever I boot into Sunshine anymore, it's just to jump around the buildings of Defino. Sunshine has the best acrobatics of a Mario game, for sure.

Johnas

Pyrokai said:
So sorry if this has already been asked, but is there ANYWHERE that is doing a midnight launch of this game? I haven't pre-ordered it yet because I wanted to make sure to pre-order at a place that is doing a midnight launch. But I still don't know what places are doing that, if any.

Does anyone know anything related to this? Google hasn't helped, either. It's coming out in five days so I need to, you know, pre-order it asap. I just hope SOMEPLACE is doing it at midnight.

Also, I would try Wal-Mart since it is open 24 hours, but EVERY TIME I go there at midnight hoping it will be available at midnight, the employee usually has no idea what I'm talking about and says to come back in the morning or something. How can I avoid this because I KNOW they'll have that game sitting in the back room Saturday night at 11:59pm.....

This is hardly confirmation of anything, but when I preordered I asked the dude at Gamestop if it would be available first thing Sunday when they opened (11:00). He told me yes, and then went on to say that if they had enough preorders they would be having a midnight launch. I really don't know if he was speaking generally about having enough preorders for any title, or specifically about Galaxy 2.

At any rate, I'll be there about noonish on Sunday. Don't care for midnight launches.

Bentendo

Pyrokai said:

Right now, no stores outside of New York have announced a midnight launch. Regarding Walmart, do this (if you don't feel bad about lying):

Tell them that you called and that they said they would have it available by midnight. It should work regardless of what happened before. You're right in thinking that they would have it at midnight because they do.

Sunshine still is a great game after all these years.

It looks good, plays REALLY good and just has that charm.

Would I want another one similar in "limited" theme???

No.

But I think it makes it stand out from the others in the series and not in a Super Mario Brothers 2 sort of way(though I know the origins of that game and liked it).

Sunshine is still easily a 9 game like it always was.

farnham

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Sunshine still is a great game after all these years.

It looks good, plays REALLY good and just has that charm.

Would I want another one similar in "limited" theme???

No.

But I think it makes it stand out from the others in the series and not in a Super Mario Brothers 2 sort of way(though I know the origins of that game and liked it).

Sunshine is still easily a 9 game like it always was.
super mario winter

you know you want it!

Platy

Would be REALLY awesome if the
remade levels
had brainfuck physics like normal galaxy ones .... you will be like
"but in mario 64 if i jumped there it would mean certain death !!! ... what should i doooooo ???"
and then you would jump and go to the other place galaxy style xD

Okay, I'm officially preordering from Best Buy.

Amazon's $20 offer is tempting, but I NEED this game on Sunday. I can't possibly wait until Thursday.

Before I make my preorder, are there any brick and mortars with any special SMG2 offers?

Damn you Nintendo and your Sunday releases. :lol

Platy said:
remade levels
"but in mario 64 if i jumped there it would mean certain death !!! ... what should i doooooo ???"

I was actually thinking about
that little floating island in the first level of the game that you have to launch up to in a cannon. It would be great to jump off that island and orbit around it, with Mario's head nearly scraping the ground beneath him as he orbits.

edit-
I'd like the snow level with the penguin races to be remade just for my own indulgence. It's probably the one I remember most fondly from SM64.

upandaway

Platy said:
remade levels
Well, it's still a galaxy. Its design is a 'coincidence'. So it should obey Galaxy's laws.

But you know, they can just put a black hole underneath.

cvxfreak

BertramCooper said:
Okay, I'm officially preordering from Best Buy.

Amazon's $20 offer is tempting, but I NEED this game on Sunday. I can't possibly wait until Thursday.

Before I make my preorder, are there any brick and mortars with any special SMG2 offers?

Damn you Nintendo and your Sunday releases. :lol

Well... you can pre-order from Best Buy, then pre-order on Amazon, obtain on release date, return Amazon copy to Best Buy, get the $20 credit.

Doorman

More Sunshine talk. Huh.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Sunshine has by far the best hub world – honestly, whenever I boot into Sunshine anymore, it's just to jump around the buildings of Defino. Sunshine has the best acrobatics of a Mario game, for sure.
Agreed. The large environments were top notch to play around in, and I'm one of the weird people that actually liked the unified setting, although they certainly could have used a few more courses. It's not what Mario is known for but I appreciated how cohesive that world felt. Blue coins were okay, it was a nice incentive for exploring, but 240 just seemed like too many, so in some cases they wound up in weird places that I probably never would have found without using a guide.

In terms of lasting legacy in my mind I think Sunshine still stands up just fine and is one of my top Gamecube games, but I always admit that parts of it feel rushed. I think the summer deadline caught up with the development staff sooner than they'd hoped.

And now I'm out because I can't take reading all these spoiler reactions anymore. I'm pretty sure I know what everyone is referring to just from context, but I'm still not going to watch the video. This is something I want to experience for the first time with the game itself, not a Youtube clip. :D

civilstrife said:

That's an aesthetic mess of a dvd art :-/

The nintendo seal...the fact that "Wii" is the only thing that grabs your attention for 2 seconds. The game's name crammed in the corner.

Would have worked really well if it was just the Mario "planet" and nothing more.

The boxart is great though. Eye grabbing and aesthetically pleasing and leads the eye really well.

klier

Please!!! That SMG 2 disc design is off the charts nice!

All those logos are mandatory, I don't even see them.

Mr. B Natural said:
That's an aesthetic mess of a dvd art :-/

The nintendo seal...the fact that "Wii" is the only thing that grabs your attention for 2 seconds. The game's name crammed in the corner.

Would have worked really well if it was just the Mario "planet" and nothing more.

The boxart is great though. Eye grabbing and aesthetically pleasing and leads the eye really well.
Are we seriously at the point where we're remarking on disc art design

klier said:
All those logos are mandatory, I don't even see them.

Then the design should take into account the logos (and the giant hole that the dvd covers have that also doesn't work with the aesthetics of it). That's what designing means and that's what designers do.

^ you post a picture of something, I comment on it as an artist. People comment on box art all the time. What is the problem? If I said "wow, this dvd art is amazing?" Would you have a problem with that too? Sorry for disrupting the masturbation. I'll close the door. Please continue.

Top Bottom