• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

rhino4evr

Mejilan said:
:lol
Not a fucking chance they'd waste time and resources on remaking SM64 using the SMG engine and insert it into another Mario game for free!

not only that, why would they lock it away for only a select few hardcore gamers to discover? :lol

Nintendo has a hard enough time getting Billy and Mary Jo Casual to play after getting 60 stars, let alone 120.

There is NO way they would do this.

What was the prize of getting 120 stars in Mario 64? Oh yeah, Yoshi on the roof? LOL.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Pyrokai said:
I can't wait until after I beat the game so I can come back here and figure out what the HELL you guys are talking about :lol

Rabid fanboyism, wild speculations (that probably aren't true), and kids jizzing in their pants about how they're more or less expecting even MORE unjustified rewards and game play on top of the game already, than one can reasonably assume. Watch said persons come back into this thread later and gripe over their "disappointments".

ghibli99

I have this coming from Amazon, but might just go to the store to buy it so that I don't have to wait for delivery (and return the copy that arrives later in the mail). Since '07, SMG has been my favorite game this gen, and if this manages to top that? Then we're all in for one hell of a treat!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Extollere said:
Rabid fanboyism, wild speculations (that probably aren't true), and kids jizzing in their pants about how they're more or less expecting even MORE unjustified rewards and game play on top of the game already, than one can reasonably assume. Watch said persons come back into this thread later and gripe over their "disappointments".

thisisgafdude.gif :lol

Extollere said:

I'm not completely serious, and if you read the spoilers, you'd know even I rated it with only a 1% chance of it happening.

NeonZ said:
We've seen only one N64 level there though, and the interview mentions a Sunshine one too. If classic stages were the post game bonus, I don't think we'd see them before completing the game.

I know. The Sunshine thing is easy to explain. Sunshine has an entirely different gameplay mechanic that's not in Galaxy. The water pack is essential to the gameplay most of the time. That Sunshine level looks like just a nod rather than a full remake of the level compared to this.

As for them showing it, I don't see why not. They could have easily lead people to believe it's nothing more than a simple tribute with the level recreated. They didn't think a madman on Neogaf would be able to see through their scheme.

Yes, I'm only 1% serious.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
SirPenguin said:
I hate to say it, but that'd be a really lame unlockable. I've already played that game twice.

yeah, i kinda agree.
little throwback type levels with creative twists and subtle callbacks to past levels is actually preferable, but that wouldn't have much to do with the unlockables. the concept of a "throwback galaxy" is just totally great. it's just enough to make you nostalgic without overstaying its welcome.

Peff

SirPenguin said:
I hate to say it, but that'd be a really lame unlockable. I've already played that game twice.

Well,
playing it with different graphics, physics and moves
would still be less lame than playing the same game with another character, a character model and 99 lives and... a picture of all the characters in the game :lol

methodman

Banned
beelzebozo said:
yeah, i kinda agree.
little throwback type levels with creative twists and subtle callbacks to past levels is actually preferable, but that wouldn't have much to do with the unlockables. the concept of a "throwback galaxy" is just totally great. it's just enough to make you nostalgic without overstaying its welcome.

Co-sign.

give me sonic.

beelzebozo said:
yeah, i kinda agree.

Yeah, 100% agree with you there, particularly in regards to "without overstaying its welcome"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The 120 star unlock will be a nude mode.

rhino4evr

My guess for the 120 stars?

Staff Ghosts

Remember all those cool "expert" videos from NSBW?...what if you had to mimic those, for all the stars?

Woould be truly a challenge for hardcore only.

MisterHero

rhino4evr said:

Staff Ghosts

Remember all those cool "expert" videos from NSBW?...what if you had to mimic those, for all the stars?

someone said that before, and to get them you'd have to beat them with Luigi. true or not, those would be cool I guess

Jasoco

Banned
So where can I go on Sunday afternoon and be guaranteed to find a copy of Mario Galaxy 2? I must have it day 1! Or at least day 2. No waiting for shipping bullshit. I want it yesterday!

For those in the thread that are thinking of buying a Wii for this, I found a hell of a deal:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10726532

It's the old Wii bundle (with just Wii Sports, no Resort) and a game of your choice for $179.

The game list is as such:

* New Super Mario Bros. (Wii)
* Mario Kart w/ Wheel (Wii)
* Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
* Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
* Mario Party 8 (Wii)
* Wii Music (Wii)
* Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
* Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii)
* Mario Super Sluggers (Wii)
* Wii Sports Resort with Wii MotionPlus (Wii)

An excellent deal for someone with no interest in Wii Sports Resort.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
rhino4evr said:
not only that, why would they lock it away for only a select few hardcore gamers to discover? :lol

Nintendo has a hard enough time getting Billy and Mary Jo Casual to play after getting 60 stars, let alone 120.

There is NO way they would do this.

What was the prize of getting 120 stars in Mario 64? Oh yeah, Yoshi on the roof? LOL.

And 99 lives, no? :D

Jasoco

Banned
Now-a-days they throw so many at you they're coming out your ears. And they're not even needed in games anymore because of save systems. They just keep 1up's around for legacy nostalgia reasons.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Jasoco said:
Now-a-days they throw so many at you they're coming out your ears. And they're not even needed in games anymore because of save systems. They just keep 1up's around for legacy nostalgia reasons.

The motha-fukin 1-up jingle!

NotWii

Banned
Mejilan said:
:lol
Not a fucking chance they'd waste time and resources on remaking SM64 using the SMG engine and insert it into another Mario game for free!
They have most of the enemies + level toys already created.
Heck, maybe that's why there's bird racing in this game (byproduct of recreating the owl riding in SM64)

It's not like creating the world geometry + platforms is too difficult either.
Though I doubt they'd do it as well.

Jasoco

Banned
They already got rid of the concept of "Super Mario" mushrooms when they changed to 3D. So they gotta keep something around from the old days. I remember Mario 64 when 1up's were so rare.

Perhaps the 120 star bonus is a hodgepodge of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy levels. At least in 64, there were a number of redundant stars that they could probably get rid of.

MYE

Glowing impressions :D

arstechnica said:
It's not that this is an astounding game (although, so far, it is), it's that Nintendo makes it all look so easy. It feels like a middle finger to every other company that ever tried to create a platforming game. Not only is this how it's done, but this is how you do it brilliantly without giving a hint that you're breaking a sweat.

Hours fly by, and you start each level with the knowledge that you're going to see something new. This can't possibly continue through the whole game... can it?

Aaron Strife said:
Perhaps the 120 star bonus is a hodgepodge of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy levels. At least in 64, there were a number of redundant stars that they could probably get rid of.
Nothing near the number of horrible shines in Sunshine. They could probably cut out 30 and have a much better game. Maybe just cut the blue coins entirely and rebalanced a couple of things like the stingray stage.

rhino4evr

bmf said:
Nothing near the number of horrible shines in Sunshine. They could probably cut out 30 and have a much better game. Maybe just cut the blue coins entirely and rebalanced a couple of things like the stingray stage.

Yeah..Sunshine was a really BAD mario game the more I think about it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
rhino4evr said:

Staff Ghosts

This would be an interesting idea. What I noticed was that, on the star-select screen in a video I saw for Galaxy 2, it showed your fastest time for the level, something the original Galaxy never had. Maybe, if not actual staff ghosts, they'll just present "times to beat." No ghosts necessarily, but just Beat This Time To Get A Better Star.

Epiphyte

rhino4evr said:
Yeah..Sunshine was a really BAD mario game the more I think about it.
It depends on how much of a completionist you are

I didn't play Sunshine until a few years after release, so I had heard all about the issues with the blue coins and 100 coin challenges. I decided to simply ignore all of those challenges.

I worked my way through the main quest as it were, and had a great time with that. That certainly doesn't make up for the issues, but if people can find a used copy at GS, it's still well worth playing through.

Leezard

Tathanen said:
This would be an interesting idea. What I noticed was that, on the star-select screen in a video I saw for Galaxy 2, it showed your fastest time for the level, something the original Galaxy never had. Maybe, if not actual staff ghosts, they'll just present "times to beat." No ghosts necessarily, but just Beat This Time To Get A Better Star.
We did see ghosts in an earlier video, I don't know where to find it though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Leezard said:
We did see ghosts in an earlier video, I don't know where to find it though.

You get ghosts by
beating a level with Luigi

Model 500

Hours fly by, and you start each level with the knowledge that you're going to see something new. This can't possibly continue through the whole game... can it?

Exactly how I felt with the first SMG - which is quite possibly my favourite game ever...I'm still a bit shocked that a new game these days could awake the same kind of "awe" in me that I felt when playing games in the early 80's. Bring on the EU release :)

Bentendo

I never quite understood the criticisms of Sunshine's blue coins. To me, the blue coin challenges were excellent because they felt like mini-star quests. They were placed in very unique areas and getting to them often required the player to go through a lot of trials but it was ultimately worth it. To be honest, I kind of wish they'd include blue coins in future Mario games (or at least star coins ala NSMB+NSMBW).

Super Mario 64, on the other hand, had a lot more pointless stars. I remember getting a star by talking to Toad in the castle. IT WAS THAT SIMPLE. Don't get me wrong though: it was an excellent game (heck, I even loved SM64DS).

MisterHero

Jasoco said:
They already got rid of the concept of "Super Mario" mushrooms when they changed to 3D. So they gotta keep something around from the old days. I remember Mario 64 when 1up's were so rare.
Super Mushrooms were in Super Mario 64 DS, but they acted more like Mega Mushrooms. :lol

Peff

Bentendo said:
I never quite understood the criticisms of Sunshine's blue coins. To me, the blue coin challenges were excellent because they felt like mini-star quests. They were placed in very unique areas and getting to them often required the player to go through a lot of trials but it was ultimately worth it. To be honest, I kind of wish they'd include blue coins in future Mario games (or at least star coins ala NSMB+NSMBW).

Do you mean red coins? The blue coins were placed everywhere at random with no indication of their presence and not only that, there wasn't a single set of them per world, but rather a number of them for every shine.

[Nintex]

Bentendo said:

Super Mario 64, on the other hand, had a lot more pointless stars. I remember getting a star by talking to Toad in the castle. IT WAS THAT SIMPLE. Don't get me wrong though: it was an excellent game (heck, I even loved SM64DS).
There's the Cosmic Metals in Super Mario Galaxy 2 that unlock stuff, I think those can be seen as 'blue coins/star coins'.

Vinci

Danish
rhino4evr said:
I disagree totally. Mario 64 may be a little rough around the edges..but it had much better level design...at least I think so.

I'm not going to get into a disagreement about what constitutes good level design or what doesn't; I've seen where that leads. All I know is, Mario 64 bored the shit out of me and Sunshine, even with its flaws, didn't. It was simply more fun to play to me. I liked bouncing around, using FLUDD to jet-ski across water, etc. The movement was just joyous with the exception of the areas in which the camera had problems.

rhino4evr

Epiphyte said:
It depends on how much of a completionist you are

I didn't play Sunshine until a few years after release, so I had heard all about the issues with the blue coins and 100 coin challenges. I decided to simply ignore all of those challenges.

I worked my way through the main quest as it were, and had a great time with that. That certainly doesn't make up for the issues, but if people can find a used copy at GS, it's still well worth playing through.

In my opinion..there were several "problems" with Sunshine..not to make this a "sunshine sucks thread" but here are my complaints...

- not enough level variety. Every stage could be confused with another.
- TERRIBLE camera control..it made some levels almost impossible for no other reason then, you coudn't see shit. I can think of two or three stars in particular. One involved a Ferris Wheel.
- Water Pack made platforming a bit dull.
- Water Pack - Less stages were great, but made to artificially difficult due to camera.
- Super Lame Boss Battles, Super Duper Lame Final Battle.
- Oh That Horrible, Horrible Voice Acting! It made Bowser Jr into the worst character in the series.
- Those Blue Coins...First collect all the regular coins, now get the hidden blue ones...You found one..Ok now lets stop to save your game. Zzzzzzzzzz........
- Yoshi was completely under utilized. You could only use him in the World Hub, and only as means to get to other levels.
- That god damn Pachinko machine!!!!!
- Lack of cool secrets.
- Those ugly Pineapple people.

Ok I think I proved my point.

Kard8p3

rhino4evr said:
Yoshi was completely under utilized. You could only use him in the World Hub, and only as means to get to other levels.

Yoshi was under utilized but he wasn't in the hub world only. I know you atleast used him in the hotel level.

Vinci

Danish
beelzebozo said:
mario fans bashing each others' favorite games in the series feels like black-on-black crime, man

I'm not doing that to be mean. I just disagree with the vitriol that Sunshine gets especially considering the number of people who praise Mario 64 as some sort of beacon from God.

rhino4evr

beelzebozo said:
sunshine is great! so is 64. let an era of peace fall over this kingdom.

EXACTLY! Despite it's faults...its still a Mario game..which means it's a lot more fun then most games.

I mean I wouldnt have put up with that Blue Coin shit with any other video game mascot.

Ok..sorry to derail..back to Galaxy 2...

Top Bottom