• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Yaweee

Kard8p3 said:
IGN does and editor roundtable about galaxy 2
http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1090527p1.html

Brian Altano: Back in 2007, I stood in line outside of the Nintendo World Store in New York at midnight in November just to get a copy of Super Mario Galaxy before any of my friends. My hands were almost too numb to hold a Wiimote and Nunchuk once I finally snagged a copy, but that didn't stop me from staying up the entire night to play it. Super Mario Galaxy reinvented the platforming genre and proved that over two decades later, Nintendo still had some new ideas for their fat mascot. It was so good, in fact, that I found myself wondering how the hell they'd ever be able to top it.

And then, I played Super Mario Galaxy 2. A lot. And once again, it's brilliant. Gamers worrying that this sequel is just a retread of old ideas can stop. Galaxy 2 is an untiring bombardment of brilliance and surprise. It's also one of the toughest games Nintendo has ever made, tempting me to throw the controller down in defeat on more than one occasion. But again and again, I'd return, determined to grab that just-out-of-reach comet coin or topple that ridiculously hilarious looking boss. I'm looking forward to unlocking every stage, collecting every star and exploring every inch of Galaxy 2. Nintendo, somehow you've done it again.

WillyFive

Kard8p3 said:

The first guy complained that Mario Galaxy was bad because of the camera.

I could not grasp what he said by that. He said the camera of the game was bad? Wasn't that one of the greatest parts of the game? A fully capable camera that required no adjusting?

I wonder what he did while playing.....

and the second guy, he said he didn't like it because he didn't like Mario as a character.

and the other guy said Mario doesn't do anything new.

I don't really understand. Is IGN trying to become the Fox News of the industry?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kard8p3 said:

wat

IGN said:
Ryan Clements: I'll be the first to admit that I never beat the original Super Mario Galaxy. Although the game was certainly a great example of solid 3D platforming, I wasn't nearly as enthusiastic about it as other gamers out there. One of my main complaints when it comes to 3D platforming is depth. Sometimes I'd just have a hard time gauging where Mario was in a 3D space and I'd end up careening off a cliff and into the terrifying void below. This could just be a problem that lessens with experience, but even still, I couldn't help but feel like this was just a prettier Super Mario 64. Was it fun? Absolutely. Have I seen it before? Yes.

When it comes to Super Mario Galaxy 2, I'm slightly more excited than I was with the original Galaxy, but not by much. I know exactly what I'm going to get: a polished platformer. But for me, there still isn't the hook that I need in gaming. Maybe the Mario universe just doesn't do it for me. Sure, he's one of – if not the most – iconic and endearing characters in videogames, but I dislike his design. I sincerely believe that Mario's (well-deserved) status prevents people from realizing how terrible of a character he is. And when I play a game with characters, I need good characters. Sorry Mario!

wat

Ok I want to bail again, but can anyone tell me what the binding looks like?
Is it in the proper Mario font or is it an off-brand font that looks pretty stupid like SMG1?

P.S. Mario is a bad character because he's not a perfectly fit, gunwielding, always say the right thing charmer. OK Ryan Clements. OK. What a dumb fuck.

KingDirk

I keep on trying to narrow my focus down to just one part of that clusterfuck of nonsense but I can't. A whole new camera/gravity mechanic/aesthetic and it's still somehow just a 'prettier Mario 64?'

Also, and so be it if this sounds reductive, but who gives a shit about Mario as a 'character.' He's a cipher that allows you to navigate wonderful puzzles. I like his design (though I like Luigi's even more :D), but the level of polish and ingenuity found in Galaxy means he could basically look like anything and I'd still have a blast.

Opinions, assholes, etc, but I simply cannot fathom having a jaded attitude towards the Galaxy line.

Seriously, IGN?

But Nintendo has been iterating on the same idea for more than 20 years, and I'm just tired of jumping around picking up little gold things.

They aren't over the whole "If it doesn't have guns I don't care about it" thing over there yet, I guess.

Platy

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Seriously, IGN?

They aren't over the whole "If it doesn't have guns I don't care about it" thing over there yet, I guess.

Wolfenstein was released in 1992 ... so ... 2 more years of this shit =P

WillyFive

bridegur said:
People just need to ignore IGN. Its writers are essentially one step above Gamestop employees.

IGN deserved to be defeated by Gamespot in viewers, after all.

Not that Gamespot is the epitome of game journalism (according to them, the 3DS is the next version of the DS), but at least they take themselves seriously.

Empty

IGN editor said:
I couldn't help but feel like this was just a prettier Super Mario 64. Was it fun? Absolutely. Have I seen it before? Yes.

what on earth?!? does this guy actually not understand videogame design, there are some pretty huge differences in how those games approach the idea of 3d platforming despite having the same mario splash of paint on the top. it's like playing FFXII and saying 'i can't help but feel this is just a prettier FFVII'. such lazy games criticism.

Raw64life

I've done a pretty good job of avoiding seeing info on this game to this point but it's getting harder and harder to resist.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just got these in today and I've been getting myself prepared for next week. ;D
CIMG1071.jpg

Wonderful game so far, fun as hell! Looks wonderful on my Samsung!

Diortem7

Buckethead said:
Ok I want to bail again, but can anyone tell me what the binding looks like?
Is it in the proper Mario font or is it an off-brand font that looks pretty stupid like SMG1?
Its the same coloring as the binding on Galaxy 1, but in Mario font. You can see a short glimpse of it in this video.

udivision

I just beat Galaxy with Mario at 120 stars. I don't have much motivation to play as Luigi though, or at least right now. I don't think I can Day 1 Galaxy 2 now, just not in the mood anymore.

What have I done? =(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Willy105 said:
IGN deserved to be defeated by Gamespot in viewers, after all.

Not that Gamespot is the epitome of game journalism (according to them, the 3DS is the next version of the DS), but at least they take themselves seriously.

He said, Gamestop, not Gamespot.

InfiniteNine said:
Just got these in today and I've been getting myself prepared for next week. ;D
http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/InfiniteNine/CIMG1071.jpg[ /IMG]
Wonderful game so far, fun as hell! Looks wonderful on my Samsung![/QUOTE]

Lucky! I'm getting my Wii and SMG on Friday. :D The black Wii looks sexy.

ryan-ts

Willy105 said:
That's not what this is about, actually. It's the article itself.

I realize that, seeing how 4 people from IGN actually liked Galaxy makes believe there's still a chance they can do some good.

Vanille

udivision said:
I just beat Galaxy with Mario at 120 stars. I don't have much motivation to play as Luigi though, or at least right now. I don't think I can Day 1 Galaxy 2 now, just not in the mood anymore.

What have I done? =(

Yeah, I know that feeling, 120ing Galaxy can be pretty exhausting. The Purple Coins are just really repetitive and tedious.

Don't let it put you off Galaxy 2, though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
man, they're onto something. i've been so distracted by the good game that lays over the whole experience that i've totally overlooked what a bad personality mario has.

I kind of agree with them. The lack of character depth is such a huge flaw with the Mario games. It is very hard to truly connect with the Mario world on an emotional level, when i am given no glimpse into his inner workings. When there are so many games on the market with brilliantly realized characters, it is a shame that Nintendo continues to deliver such hollow experiences.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Spotless Mind said:
I kind of agree with them. The lack of character depth is such a huge flaw with the Mario games. It is very hard to truly connect with the Mario world on an emotional level, when i am given no glimpse into his inner workings. When there are so many games on the market with brilliantly realized characters, it is a shame that Nintendo continues to deliver such hollow experiences.

Not sure if serious.

Anyway, third commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC-sakMN2t8#t=0m29s

WillyFive

Spotless Mind said:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3998282/1/

Azure J

beelzebozo said:
man, they're onto something. i've been so distracted by the good game that lays over the whole experience that i've totally overlooked what a bad personality mario has.

Yeah, I mean seriously, imagine my disgust when I made Mario long jump around a god damned comet on a crash course with the sun, instead of giving me a well thought out internal monologue with Oscar worthy writing or a workman's grunt signifying his growing disillusion with the job he must always do, he lets out this childish "Yahooo!"

Nintendo still stuck in the goddamn past I tell you...

Oh God I can't even fake this properly. :lol

Doorman

I don't care if Mario is a stock character. I would like for his games to involve something other than "rescue the kidnapped princess from Bowser" at some point though. There are other perfectly uncomplicated stories they could go with to infuse some variety into things from that regard.

I mean hell, Bowser tried to create his own universe in the first game by basically hijacking the power of one of the Mushroom Kingdom's treasured phenomena, but do you ever really feel like that ever takes precedence over just getting Peach back? I think it's actually harmed Bowser's credibility as a villain despite him pulling off some pretty crazy shit over the years.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Willy105 said:

I will make you mine someday, right or wrong, in this life or the next…I will make you mine….because, that's what love does to me. It's not about control, lust, or power…it's about knowing that I can't live without you. That it breaks my heart when you call for another, and look at me with tears of hate and pain. You call me such hurtful names, they cut into me like a razor blade, but out of love…I forgive you. that's what one does, when they're in love.

In time, I hope you know, and understand that. In spite of what you may think, I'm actually your puppet, and you pull my heartstrings. You cut them, but they seem to heal, stronger then ever.

Peach, what a name…if it were up to me…I would call you Rose, Goddess, Venus, anything like that. Peach doesn't do you justice. If it were really, truly up to me…I'd call you mine…I'd call you, "My Queen".

My lovely, beautiful, angelic queen….one who's skin is like snow, but feels like porcelain. Whose hair is like sunlight, but warm like a summer's day. Eyes that are pools of priceless sapphires…lips that feel like rose petals, but addicting as candy.

Till then, I'll keep trying…because, I know that I'm right…my heart, mind, and body says so.

His thorny cock gets stiff.

rhino4evr

It's absolutely amazing to me that someone who doesn't like nintendo...especially their signature games like Galaxy could write as a serious game critic. A REAL criiic should be able to enjoy all genres of the media form.

It's like reading from a food critic that hates seafood or a movie critic that only likes comedies.

If you can't respect one of the best platformers on the planet you should NOT be writing about game for a living.

FSLink

Banned
The correct answer for story and characterization for Mario games is to look at any of the Mario and Luigi games.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it wouldn't hurt for mario to crack wise on bowser's momma every now and then. you ninthings need to grow up and get on the gravy train.

Beth Cyra

Hmm, can't say I agree with IGN.

Don't get me wrong I love me some story driven games, but I got to say I play Mario for the awesome platforming and silly things that happen in the games, I don't know how a real in depth story wouldn't be stupid as fuck when you are going to giant robots and take them apart by spining on screws to take them apart.

udivision

FSLink said:
The correct answer for story and characterization for Mario games is to look at any of the Mario and Luigi games.

Yes. In fact, generally Mario RPG's make Bowser the cool character he is. The best examples are the original RPG and BiS (of course)!

MisterHero

Spotless Mind said:
Super Mario Bros. 2

This game is all about character development. In its original context, the ending had no meaning. However, when his childhood story was told in Yoshi's Island, Mario & Luigi: PiT, and Mario Tennis 64, you can see he's already been through many adventures. Having forgotton his childhood abroad across time and space, some of those traumas are re-emerging in this entirely brand new land of Subcon. The most profound thing about the end of SMB2 is that depending on who plays it, Mario will either realize through his dream that one of his friends is the greatest contributor or that he himself is the greatest contributor. However, like most dreams, once he wakes up the realization will be lost with a blink of his eye.

A truly unique take on character development in videogames

rhino4evr

Gamers that are only Into one type of game, are NOT what I actually consider "gamers"

my buddies wife plays world of Warcraft all the time..she isn't a gamer either

camineet

Banned
I wonder if there's going to be any follow-up to my favorite galaxies such as Melty Molton Galaxy and Bonefish Galaxy.
I hope EAD Tokyo has made some similar levels in SMG2 that top those two.

Amir0x

Banned
rhino4evr said:
It's absolutely amazing to me that someone who doesn't like nintendo...especially their signature games like Galaxy could write as a serious game critic. A REAL criiic should be able to enjoy all genres of the media form.

It's like reading from a food critic that hates seafood or a movie critic that only likes comedies.

If you can't respect one of the best platformers on the planet you should NOT be writing about game for a living.

:/

I don't even have any reason to defend IGN, but this is dumb. Doesn't matter how much you love a hobby, there is always going to be something in it you don't like to do. Nobody on earth could possibly love all genres. That's a retarded line of thought and frankly insulting to anyone with half a mind to even remotely think about it for a second.

And yes, food critics like any other type of person has types of food he/she does not like. In that case, they would just not review seafood. They'd review other type of foods. It'd be bizarre if IGN put someone who hates platformers reviewing platform games, on the other hand. Like it'd be bizarre if a food critic who hates seafood wrote seafood reviews.

But, the actually slippery slope you introduced here however...just dumb.

I love a wide array of genres, but make me play some lame casual party game or nintendogs or some other casualware crap and I'll snap the game in two.

Top Bottom