• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Branduil said:
I don't see the fun of Boomsday. It's just tedious.
Yeah, Boomsday was my least favorite of the Bowser Jr fights. Just tedious and annoying. I have yet to do the daredevil run on it though. I did like the megahammer robot he had. That was a fun fight.

stars. Some of these
green
stars are really creative. Like in Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla, having to get on top of that castle in the beginning of the level, or Rightside Down, actually being able to walk across the board.

JRW

Hmmm Im finding the Green Star
hunt not nearly as entertaining vs. the 1st run through the game, but I guess that was to be expected, Im just not sure if ill actually collect all 241 stars before moving on to another game, anyone else feel this way?

JRW said:
hunt not nearly as entertaining vs. the 1st run through the game, but I guess that was to be expected, Im just not sure if ill actually collect all 241 stars before moving on to another game, anyone else feel this way?
242. Look up the video of the Perfect Run. Frightening. And awesome.

Jasoco

Banned
Can't wait to get home, gather up 99 lives and go to town on the last three stars
before the second half
. So glad I took a week off to recharge from the last time I played. When I started yesterday I still only had 85 stars and was stuck on
Stone Cyclone

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
JRW said:

Nope. They were just as good.

zigg

JRW said:

It's definitely a different mood but I'd be hard-pressed to pick between them. It really is, to me, basically the same thing as
Star Coins from NSMB and NSMBW

JRW

PhoncipleBone said:
242. Look up the video of the Perfect Run. Frightening. And awesome.

Wow that is pretty epic, I didnt watch is all but gives me more motivation lol.

JRW said:
If anything I like it better. I like hunting around for them more than just rushing towards a goal.

I'm at
241 stars. This last star is kicking my ass.
At least I know what the game over screen looks like now, I hadn't seen it before this stupid star.

Neiteio

BowieZ said:
Still awaiting a Mario Galaxy 2 Boss poster! :D
Let's see, an SMG2 boss poster would feature: Peewee Piranha, Giga Lakitu, Digga-Leg, Gobblegut, Glamdozer, Sorbetti, Megahammer, Prince Pikante, Squizzard, Whomp King, Boomsday Machine, Bowser Jr. and Bowser... Any others?

EDIT: Btw, I'm sad they settled on "Megahammer" over "Malletoid," the latter being what I believe they called the World 3 boss in demos...

botticus

I have 4 stars, it's astounding how quickly I've blown through the game in two weeks.

I really enjoyed the flip panel galaxy, it's platform puzzlicious.

It's odd how much I prefer 2D Mario to 3D Mario, but much like with the first game I'm sure I'll adapt to it after a few hours. I can't say I enjoy the camera control though; I'll have to see if there's a way to invert that at least, since I'm sure they won't let you have full control.

BowieZ

Banned
Neiteio said:
Let's see, an SMG2 boss poster would feature: Peewee Piranha, Giga Lakitu, Digga-Leg, Gobblegut, Glamdozer, Sorbetti, Megahammer, Prince Pikante, Squizzard, Whomp King, Boomsday Machine, Bowser Jr. and Bowser... Any others?
You are forgetting one original boss ;)

Also, if you are including Whomp King (and his merry Whimps), you should probably include Bugaboom... but then you should probably include all the others too... ;)

Neiteio

BowieZ said:
You are forgetting one original boss ;)

Also, if you are including Whomp King (and his merry Whimps), you should probably include Bugaboom... but then you should probably include all the others too... ;)
Eh, they added a crown on Whomp King, and he's two generations removed, so I'm not including the half-dozen SMG1 bosses. :)

Which original boss did I miss, though??

Doorman

MemoirsofMimi said:
So, I have 120 stars - how do I unlock the green stars?
You have to defeat the [Bowser head] monster once again...though I'm not sure why they really felt the need for it.

BowieZ

Banned
Neiteio said:
Which original boss did I miss, though??
2zfr8yo.png

Raw64life

213 stars.
And I currently have 7500 star bits so I wont be too far off from the
9999 goal
once I get the rest thanks to a few key stages where it took me a bunch of tries to get the star and I collected a ton of them in the process. In particular, I ended up with 800+ of them just trying to get the third one in Melty Monster galaxy

Finally got all 242! The last star was completely unfun imo;
if you're trying to make a difficult mission, removing all the checkpoints and forcing you to play through a bunch of easy sections to get a shot at the harder sections is NOT the way to do it. They just as well could have eliminated the first three parts and the level wouldn't be any easier for it, just a lot less boring and tedious.

With that said, the sheer variety in the level design and the fact that the quality rarely suffers even with the ridiculous amount of insane stuff thrown at you catapults this straight to the top of the list of 3D platformers, and possibly even Mario games overall.

HK-47 said:
Parts one and three are important to give you the cloud and some star bits. Also, spoilers.
k i edited

You kind of have a point with the cloud powerup, but they could have adjusted the design so that you start slightly before the fourth section with the cloud powerup and can make it back to that point quickly using 1 cloud (or 0 if you're good). The star bits didn't come into play for me at all, I just dodge the hammer bros. attacks at the end and attacked them like normal. Either way it doesn't really justify having to play three really easy (and fairly lengthy) sections over and over.

After fooling around for nearly an hour, I decided to ask here. How the hell
do you get the last green star at Starshine Beach?
I thought I was on the right path by walking around the side of the planet but that didn't help at all.

cosmicblizzard said:
After fooling around for nearly an hour, I decided to ask here. How the hell
do you get the last green star at Starshine Beach?
I thought I was on the right path by walking around the side of the planet but that didn't help at all.
Take the underwater route to get to the top of the tower, pound the switch to make the cloud powerup appear, stand on buoy so the springy part is on top, get cloud powerup, ride leaf to buoy, jump on springy part, make clouds, get star

nincompoop said:
Take the underwater route to get to the top of the tower, pound the switch to make the cloud powerup appear, stand on buoy so the springy part is on top, get cloud powerup, ride leaf to buoy, jump on springy part, make clouds, get star

Wow. I feel incredibly dumb. I had no idea you could ride the leaf :lol

Thanks a lot.

I started this today it is haaaaaaard game. I am in world one in breaking the law of gravity word thingy and i have only 3 life left:lol

I supersuck at platformers but I love them

cosmicblizzard said:

Thanks a lot.
IIRC, one of the piantas mentions riding the leaf when you talk to him. Though I can understand if you avoided talking to the piantas just in case they wanted you to kick some durians into a basket for them lol.

WillyFive

My top three Galaxies are in the sixth World!

nincompoop said:
IIRC, one of the piantas mentions riding the leaf when you talk to him. Though I can understand if you avoided talking to the piantas just in case they wanted you to kick some durians into a basket for them lol.

I was overjoyed at the return of the Piantas. I couldn't help talking to everyone.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
cosmicblizzard said:

Thanks a lot.

...wait, how did you get 120 stars in the first place if you didn't know you could ride the leaf? You need to do that to get the cloud suit over to the tower for one of the normal stars.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Tathanen said:
...wait, how did you get 120 stars in the first place if you didn't know you could ride the leaf? You need to do that to get the cloud suit over to the tower for one of the normal stars.
....no, no you don't. You can longjump to the sandy edge and walk around the narrow rim.....you can ride the leaf?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ZOMG. Went from 174 or so galaxies to 224 throughout the day.
I didn't really think I'd finish with the game this weekend, but it's too late to give up now!
242 or bust!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Around 150 and slowed down a bit. I like the green star hunt, and this seems like a pretty small thing, but constantly being shown that a prankster comet has appeared is getting annoying. Is there any way to get that to stop?

Jasoco

Banned
Holy fuck. Holllly fuck. I got 102 coins in
Purple Coins on the Rainbow Road
on the third try. Hoooooly fuck. Now I have one more star until 120!
Throwback Throwdown Speed Run
. Oh god I'm not looking forward to this one.

Christine

Jasoco said:
Holy fuck. Holllly fuck. I got 102 coins in
Purple Coins on the Rainbow Road
on the third try. Hoooooly fuck. Now I have one more star until 120!
Throwback Throwdown Speed Run
. Oh god I'm not looking forward to this one.

It's really not that hard, I did it on the first attempt.
The first three are pretty easy to beat quickly, and the Bouldergeist fight goes considerably faster if you stick close to him and remember to shoot star bits at the rocks he throws - as soon as you pop the black rocks, start swinging and you'll probably hit him, even during the second round when he's got the fists.

GWX

139 stars in, and the Green Stars are awesome already.
I just can't figure out how to get on the top of that tower to get the first green star in Bowser Jr.'s first stage... Any tips?

EDIT:

TwinIonEngines said:
remember to shoot star bits at the rocks he throws
Mind blown.

GWX said:
139 stars in, and the Green Stars are awesome already.
I just can't figure out how to get on the top of that tower to get the first green star in Bowser Jr.'s first stage... Any tips?

You actually have to hurt yourself to get there. You need to long jump to the ledge just after the warp star. This causes you to fall into the lava twice. After that, just head on over to the tower to the left with a wall jump and a spin.

GWX

cosmicblizzard said:
You actually have to hurt yourself to get there. You need to long jump to the ledge just after the warp star. This causes you to fall into the lava twice. After that, just head on over to the tower to the left with a wall jump and a spin.

Thanks. I don't know why I didn't try that, specially after getting the
second green star of that same stage

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
242 get!
Christ, what a game!

242 stars.
49 comet coins.
85 lives (Found a stupidly-easy infinite lives exploit. Hehe.)
9999+4675 star bits.
4410 coins.

Final time: 32:07:30 (17:59:08 for the initial 120.)

Gotta hand it to Nintendo for not only one-upping SMG1 and essentially perfecting the 3D platformer while successfully marrying awesome SMB3/SMW/YI 2D mechanics to it, but also for putting forth more unique content than even the average RPG! What a fucking game.

I don't think I'm quite burnt out on Mario, so perhaps it's time I finally pop NSMB Wii in and give it an honest shot! :D

Christine

Okay, gold crown on shiverburn, I am going to bed now.
The first time I made it to star 3 with my cloud suit intact also happened to be the time I forgot to go back and refill my clouds. grrr.

Getting the
third green star
on Melty Monster Galaxy made me want to punch Nintendo in the nuts.

The whole company. One cockpunch at a time.

Top Bottom