• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

cosmicblizzard said:
You actually have to hurt yourself to get there. You need to long jump to the ledge just after the warp star. This causes you to fall into the lava twice. After that, just head on over to the tower to the left with a wall jump and a spin.
You can jump off the Whomp onto the castle.

I don't think there's anything that requires you to hurt yourself deliberately.

Christine

Aaron Strife said:

That's star 2. Star 1 needs the lava burn bounce. Of course, I'm awesome so I just bounced directly onto the parapet with the star.

edit: nm, I'm thinking of gravity gauntlet star 1

KevinCow

Banned
100 stars in... still kinda disappointed in the game. It feels like there's far more "Replay this level that you've already played, except this time collect purple coins/you're timed/you only have one hit/cosmic clones are chasing you/some other twist" than in Galaxy 1, so now I've finished all the unique challenges and I'm just stuck doing that to unlock what few new stages remain. And so much stuff taken straight from Galaxy 1, even music and entire levels.

Speaking of music, that's a pretty big disappointment as well. The best tracks are either ripped from Galaxy or SM64 remixes. Everything else has been pretty forgettable.

I might not even bother getting 120 here. Apparently there's something past 120, but if it's anything like Galaxy 1's "replay the game but this time with bad controls," it's probably not worth it.

Aaron Strife said:

That figures. Guess Starshine Beach isn't the only place I've been doing things the dumb/hard way :lol

KevinCow said:
100 stars in... still kinda disappointed in the game. It feels like there's far more "Replay this level that you've already played, except this time collect purple coins/you're timed/you only have one hit/cosmic clones are chasing you/some other twist" than in Galaxy 1, so now I've finished all the unique challenges and I'm just stuck doing that to unlock what few new stages remain. And so much stuff taken straight from Galaxy 1, even music and entire levels.

Speaking of music, that's a pretty big disappointment as well. The best tracks are either ripped from Galaxy or SM64 remixes. Everything else has been pretty forgettable.

I might not even bother getting 120 here. Apparently there's something past 120, but if it's anything like Galaxy 1's "replay the game but this time with bad controls," it's probably not worth it.
It's worth it. Keep pushing through.

suaveric

I just finished tonight with 78 stars. I assumed the game was going to have 8 worlds and was shocked when they said it was the final castle at the end of 6. I guess I was just expecting the traditional Mario conventions to hold true.

I have a question, I'm missing the fire flower in my ship's trophy room. How do I get it? I've gotten a few stars when I was Fire Mario, but that didn't seem to do it.

suaveric said:
I have a question, I'm missing the fire flower in my ship's trophy room. How do I get it? I've gotten a few stars when I was Fire Mario, but that didn't seem to do it.

I just got that. I think it was from one of those burn-down-the-boxes missions.

Jasoco

Banned
120 get! And if you beat the game and watch the credits after winning with Luigi, he gets to say "Thank you for playing my game!" (Luigi leaves out "so much")

Off to play the other 120! Also, gotta save up my 9999 star bits.

suaveric

shouamabane said:
I just got that. I think it was from one of those burn-down-the-boxes missions.

Damn, there's more than one of those? I was so happy to just beat the only trash star I've seen, I'm not sure I can take another one.

Jasoco

Banned
So apparently it doesn't matter which
green comet
you choose because all the
green stars
in the level will be visible no matter what? Or where will they be logically placed? Along the path of the first
normal star
? Tell me about these things. I've found three so far.

The_Dude

Jasoco said:
green comet
green stars
in the level will be visible no matter what? Or where will they be logically placed? Along the path of the first
normal star
There are some where they're in a different version of the level, so that doesn't always work.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, I figured that out. Got 6 so far. Looking good. Just wish there was a way to tell when one was in the area you are in (Aside from the sound) like a chime ala Link's Awakening when a chest is hidden in a room. I'm always afraid I'll go past it. Which I have once so far. Also, they need to give off a brighter glow so I can see them from further away.

Problem with listening for them is everything makes a sparkly sound. Everything.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jasoco said:
Yeah, I figured that out. Got 6 so far. Looking good. Just wish there was a way to tell when one was in the area you are in (Aside from the sound) like a chime ala Link's Awakening when a chest is hidden in a room. I'm always afraid I'll go past it. Which I have once so far. Also, they need to give off a brighter glow so I can see them from further away.

Problem with listening for them is everything makes a sparkly sound. Everything.

No. Green stars makes a very distinct sound.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HK-47 said:
No. Green stars makes a very distinct sound.

Yeah. Sometimes I keep thinking it's the checkpoint flag or a comet coin or something, but every single time it's been a green star. Shouldn't second-guess myself. :D

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, but it's hard to pick out when you've got dozens of star bits falling around you and bouncing all over the place. You never get a quiet moment in some levels. Thankfully not all levels.

Also, I just want to say one thing to Nintendo. Yes, Nintendo, we KNOW it's been saved. You don't have to put up a modal dialog every time the game saves. Just put a fading message on screen or a simple icon to let us know. We don't need to click "OK" every time when we know that the game is going to save every single level. *sigh* What is it with Nintendo and dialogs? So many dialogs. SO MANY DIALOGS EVERY DAMN TIME!

Kinda agree about the sparkling sounds. It's a minor, minor, minor issue, but I thought I'd throw that out there. I wish the green star noise came out of the Wii Remote speaker.

Future

Jasoco said:
Yeah, but it's hard to pick out when you've got dozens of star bits falling around you and bouncing all over the place. You never get a quiet moment in some levels. Thankfully not all levels.

Also, I just want to say one thing to Nintendo. Yes, Nintendo, we KNOW it's been saved. You don't have to put up a modal dialog every time the game saves. Just put a fading message on screen or a simple icon to let us know. We don't need to click "OK" every time when we know that the game is going to save every single level. *sigh* What is it with Nintendo and dialogs? So many dialogs. SO MANY DIALOGS EVERY DAMN TIME!
The one old school thing I wish they'd change. Yeas I know those fat stars need star bits to transform. Yes I know that little dude thinks I can't beat his challenges. Yes I know Luigi is exploring the galaxy. Blah blah. What's worse is you can't even speed up the dialogues.

AniHawk

Jasoco said:

yeah, the presentation in their games still needs work. i guess they don't want to confuse newbies with an "options" menu or something, but i'd like to turn stuff like prankster warnings, save boxes, and the like, off.

Future said:
The one old school thing I wish they'd change. Yeas I know those fat stars need star bits to transform. Yes I know that little dude thinks I can't beat his challenges. Yes I know Luigi is exploring the galaxy. Blah blah. What's worse is you can't even speed up the dialogues.
I'm pretty sure the dialogue goes faster if you hold down A.

EDIT: I agree about to many menus/event notices. I got annoyed by stuff like the prankster comet announcement(
especially when I was doing Green Stars
), needing to show prankster comets on the world map, needing to bring the luma to the ship to feed (I figure this is because of the ability to put star bits in the bank, but there are better ways).

Example: they could put the save notice, add star bits, and add coins to total on ONE screen after a level WHILE the return animation is playing(and make it faster). Even better, only return me to the star ship when you want to do an occasional cutscene, like when you get a new power up on the ship.

By the end of the whole game you have sat through the return animation and totals
times!
!!

I don't consider this stuff a big deal, but it can certainly be improved upon.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jasoco said:
green comet
green stars
normal star

Yeah, the green stars are all visible in a level, though as you know it exists you from a level when you pick up one. However, because levels have different structures based on what normal star you pick, so they do too for the green ones. EG: Green Star 3 might use the layout for the second or third normal star in the galaxy, thus if you dont actually select "Green Star 3" from the star menu you wont be able to access the areas where it is hidden.

fireside

Buckethead said:
Getting the
third green star
on Melty Monster Galaxy made me want to punch Nintendo in the nuts.

The whole company. One cockpunch at a time.
I had way more trouble with the first one. Those pull stars a bitch to manipulate like that.

Almost here for us euros! :D

Sadly, I have exams on the 18th and 22rd, so I'm going to have to buy it after those. But SMG2, MHTri, completing my Half Life 2 run and WoW, this is going to be a great summer ;D

zigg

TwinIonEngines said:
It's really not that hard, I did it on the first attempt.

Yeah, it's not so bad.
Major Burrows and my perpetual ill-timing of hitting him on his third phase
was the only thing that caused me trouble.

Mejilan said:
I don't think I'm quite burnt out on Mario, so perhaps it's time I finally pop NSMB Wii in and give it an honest shot! :D

Haha, me neither. I am probably dead fucking crazy but if G3 was a 3DS launch title I would probably be thrilled to play through the whole thing. At least, that's how I feel right now.

neoism

Gouty said:
Make it a trilogy Nintendo, I won't complain.
I wouldn't hate it either, but I really just want them to wait. I want them to go back to the 64 style, and make it for the next system, in HfuckingD!

rhino4evr

Jasoco said:

It's an improvement over galaxy 1 that asked you to save the game after every star!!

I agree though the less words in a Mario game the better.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Finally got the game a few days ago, at 55ish stars, like others have said, real impressed.

The
staff Luigi ghosts
in particular surprised me a ton and I've already starting going at some of them, such an awesome little feature, really hope other Mario games start having this. :D

Buckethead said:
Getting the third
green star
on Melty Monster Galaxy made me want to punch Nintendo in the nuts.

The whole company. One cockpunch at a time.
Just go to the end of the level (where the regular mission 3 star is) and bump into the crate so you can actually have some control of your guy. Then go back and grab the
green star.

Piece of cake.

The third
green star
on melty monster wasn't difficult for me at all, once you hit the first gate to turn around, instead of hitting the second gate to turn around again you just have to steer yourself all the way to the right and you'll fall right into it. I had a lot more trouble getting the first one by the pull stars.

nincompoop said:
I had a lot more trouble getting the first one by the pull stars.

I have a feeling I will "never" get that one as I am not good at pull stars and gaining momentum off of them, maybe I am misssing some sort of technique.

Davey Cakes

KevinCow said:
100 stars in... still kinda disappointed in the game.
I can understand feeling some disappointment at 40 stars. With the original SMG I nearly felt that way. Well, less disappointed and more "underwhelmed."

But at 100 stars? Wow, I guess you're just not into it. Galaxy 2 starts to truly shine a bright light of awesomeness at the 50-star mark, in my opinion.

Sorry for double post.

KevinCow said:
100 stars in... still kinda disappointed in the game. It feels like there's far more "Replay this level that you've already played, except this time collect purple coins/you're timed/you only have one hit/cosmic clones are chasing you/some other twist" than in Galaxy 1,

How were the first Galaxy's purple coins any different???

The purple coin missions (actually all the comet missions not including the
green stars
) were such a huge improvement over Galaxy 1... much stricter time limits (no more finishing with three minutes remaining!) and coin placements that actually required fast-paced platforming with precise and well-timed jumps rather than the crappy purple coin scavenger hunts from the original. The
Cosmic Luigi's Purple Coins
was pretty much the most awesome-ly epic thing ever (although I wish they changed the layout a bit; I managed to complete it on my first try since I was already familiar with the layout.)

fireside

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I have a feeling I will "never" get that one as I am not good at pull stars and gaining momentum off of them, maybe I am misssing some sort of technique.
The only tip I have is to be as far away as possible from the highest pull star before you grab it and then once you have some decent speed (one or two seconds) let go of it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How are you guys checking your total playtime? Adding up your message board logs, I assume?

Top Bottom