• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

I am having trouble with the last 7 to reach 120. The game is just pissing me off now. I REALLY want 120 stars just to get the green star challenges. I always 100% the 2d marios, but have never 100% a 3d one before. I will give it a few days rest then go back.

PhoncipleBone said:
I am having trouble with the last 7 to reach 120. The game is just pissing me off now. I REALLY want 120 stars just to get the green star challenges. I always 100% the 2d marios, but have never 100% a 3d one before. I will give it a few days rest then go back.

You didn't 120 Super Mario 64? That one wasn't nearly as challenging as the Galaxy titles. If you haven't, you should go back to it. Such memories. :)

EatChildren said:
How are you guys checking your total playtime? Adding up your message board logs, I assume?
No they send a message to you when you beat the game and again when you collect all the stars. My total time was just over 30 hours. The length was pretty evenly balanced; it took me around 10 hours to get to 70 stars (or was it 80? can't remember) and beat the game, 10 more hours to get to 120 and 10 more to get to 242.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
nincompoop said:
No they send a message to you when you beat the game and again when you collect all the stars. My total time was just over 30 hours. The length was pretty evenly balanced; it took me around 10 hours to get to 70 stars and beat the game, 10 more hours to get to 120 and 10 more to get to 242.

Cool beans.

aztrex said:
You didn't 120 Super Mario 64? That one wasn't nearly as challenging as the Galaxy titles. If you haven't, you should go back to it. Such memories. :)
I have been tempted to bring it back out and give it another go. I havent sat down to hardcore play that in nearly ten years though.

Lamel

Banned
Joei said:
Seriously, who designed the flight controls in this game? This is the most ridiculous shit ever.

As I said before, hold the Wii Remote towards the base when you control Fluzzard. Meaning, hold it near or under the two button so it is a bit loose. Will be much easier to control that way.

boiled goose

good with gravy
AniHawk said:
yeah, the presentation in their games still needs work. i guess they don't want to confuse newbies with an "options" menu or something, but i'd like to turn stuff like prankster warnings, save boxes, and the like, off.

so many prankster comet warnins jeez...

so many the game has been saved screens. maybe they should just have some text run on the screen without interrupting.

everytime you use luigi he says the same stupid thing.

talking to bank toad is a pain in the ass.

you should be able to feed lumas in the map instead of the ship.

SMG2 did great strides in streamlining the experience, but nintendo can go even further.

Also: I got 120 stars and it was fantastic. most of the comets are the best stars in the game. they felt really fun and it was quite addictive. galaxy 1s felt like a chore at times.

i still think the worst ones are the daredevil runs, since they only make you play more cautiously and force you to replay several times. daredevil runs for bosses only are ok, since then it is simply making it more exciting. <3 speed runs and clones :)

I never understood why people complained at the ball rolling, flying or manta ray controls. easiest shit ever. I control them at a near subconscious level. :s

the only problem i can see from flying is if you are overturning, that sometimes leads to some weird stuff. as long as you keep the wiiremote in the right position, you should be fine. just dont turn it all the way upside down.

Joei

Saadster said:
As I said before, hold the Wii Remote towards the base when you control Fluzzard. Meaning, hold it near or under the two button so it is a bit loose. Will be much easier to control that way.

Well that helped a little bit, but I still can't stop flying into walls in Fleet Glide. I mean, that bird doesn't go anywhere I want him to. This isn't anywhere near challenging, this is just horrible controls.

WillyFive

Joei said:
Well that helped a little bit, but I still can't stop flying into walls in Fleet Glide. I mean, that bird doesn't go anywhere I want him to. This isn't anywhere near challenging, this is just horrible controls.

Really?

The controls for those are brilliant. I don't see why you are having such a hard time with them. :lol

Which reminds me, we need to have a full game with those mechanics, like PILOTWINGS.

JRW

Nabs said:
people have trouble w/ the flight controls? easiest thing ever.

Thanks I didnt wanna be the only one saying it but I had zero trouble with the fluzzard stages.

fireside

In addition to the stupid amount of dialogue windows, why can't I directly go to a Galaxy from the world selector menu Nintendo?

WillyFive

Joei said:
You guys gotta be kidding me. This bird controls like utter $%#&.

Do you have any proof?

fireside said:
In addition to the stupid amount of dialogue windows, why can't I directly go to a Galaxy from the world selector menu Nintendo?

Yeah, that bugged me. I was like what.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Joei said:
You guys gotta be fucking kidding me. This bird controls like utter shit.

you just suck or havent figured it out.
bird controls perfectly and is extremely responsive.
Have you tried the plane in wii sports resort?

You know you are gliding and not flying right?
There mus be something you are just not getting.

The Fluzzard controls were easy to use, but I still hate those segments. When it is simply glide to the end, I am fine. It is the racing that I despise.

amtentori said:
you just suck or havent figured it out.
bird controls perfectly and is extremely responsive.
Have you tried the plane in wii sports resort?

You know you are gliding and not flying right?
There mus be something you are just not getting.

Exactly. Gradual turning seems to be above most people's heads, I guess.

Haunted

About the back 120,
green stars should've been part of the regular levels, imo. Also, the return animation and constant dialogue boxes are annoying. Should be an option to turn them off like Ani proposed.

Nintendo still has the best platform level designers in the business. Fucking marvelous. They've crammed as much creativity and fun ideas in this one as they put into the first Galaxy, which is just astounding.

I really can't choose which I like more at this point, but I still have a cool ~100 to go, so who knows at the end.

also:
Boss Blitz Galaxy omg!

edit: Fluzzard controls are fine, just not very fun on the whole. Preferred the Manta.

neoism

:lol :lol :lol :lol OMG Just got to Sunshine Beach Galaxy jesus this game is fucking amazing.OMG Yoshi the mofo swims for Mario:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol , how BOSS can you get. Not sure but I thought jumping in to the deep water Yoshi would go away, but no. Someone needs to tell me were I can buy a Yoshi :p
Yoshi = best character in the game.

Haunted

EatChildren said:
Yeah, the green stars are all visible in a level, though as you know it exists you from a level when you pick up one. However, because levels have different structures based on what normal star you pick, so they do too for the green ones. EG: Green Star 3 might use the layout for the second or third normal star in the galaxy, thus if you dont actually select "Green Star 3" from the star menu you wont be able to access the areas where it is hidden.
Hm, that's not entirely true.

I just played Flipout Galaxy, and the first green star does not appear in the level when you select the second green star. The levels are completely identical between the first and second regular star save for the addition of the cosmic clones, iirc.

SA-X

Do the
green stars
add new comet challenges and levels or are they just
more stuff scattered across the levels like the comet coins
? I just beat the
wall jump galaxy in the special world
for my 111th star and now I'm wondering if I should put myself through all the annoying stars I've avoided to get to 120. I don't really want to bother if there aren't any more platforming levels for me to look forward to.

Still a great game regardless though.

Haunted

SA-X said:
Do the
green stars
add new comet challenges and levels or are they just
more stuff scattered across the levels like the comet coins
? I just beat the
wall jump galaxy in the special world
for my 111th star and now I'm wondering if I should put myself through all the annoying stars I've avoided to get to 120. I don't really want to bother if there aren't any more platforming levels for me to look forward to.

Still a great game regardless though.
There's only one new world (I think, haven't gotten that far yet), the green stars are all hidden in previous worlds.

zigg

nincompoop said:
The purple coin missions (actually all the comet missions not including the
green stars
) were such a huge improvement over Galaxy 1

Yeah, definitely. Though I thought they had some good ideas on a number of them, they just brought them to their full awesomeness in 2. And part of that was—as you said—dropping the hunts. Thank God for that.

Haunted said:
Hm, that's not entirely true.

I just played Flipout Galaxy, and the first green star does not appear in the level when you select the second green star. The levels are completely identical between the first and second regular star save for the addition of the cosmic clones, iirc.

I'm guessing they're different map files. Oh, also, I think that was the only one
based on a comet
, am I right?

Joei said:
You guys gotta be fucking kidding me. This bird controls like utter shit.

The controls are very responsive and the game behave exactly like you tell it to. The problem isn't with the game. Just because you're not good at the game doesn't mean the controls are bad.

Here's a hint for you: Use both hands while flying. This will help you stay steady and will prevent you from flying around the screen in an uncontrollable manner.

Davey Cakes

Mejilan said:
Fluzzard's controls were insanely easy.
You people just suck. ;p
You have to admit that it's tough to grasp them at first. Even tougher than the manta ray in SMG.

That said, once you get it, it's not bad. My strategy is to hold the controller almost like I'm pointing, with my index finger lying on the tip of the remote and my thumb around the left side. Works so much better than holding the remote in standard position.

The racing also wasn't bad. See, it's about going fast, but you have to realize that in order to go fast enough to win, you have to find the best possible route through the course. It's not just a matter of smartly using the nosedive, it's a matter of knowing the course layout so that you can nearly nosedive the entire time.

fireside

neoism said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol OMG Just got to Sunshine Beach Galaxy jesus this game is fucking amazing.OMG Yoshi the mofo swims for Mario:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol , how BOSS can you get. Not sure but I thought jumping in to the deep water Yoshi would go away, but no. Someone needs to tell me were I can buy a Yoshi :p
Yoshi = best character in the game.
The noise Yoshi makes while swimming makes me feel so bad for making him do it.

zigg

Rash said:
You have to admit that it's tough to grasp them at first. Even tougher than the manta ray in SMG.

That, I can believe. Particularly if one didn't have an addiction to ball-rollers in Wii's early years. It's a whole different ballgame that many people apparently just aren't used to.

But it doesn't change the fact that there's really nothing wrong with it. The tilt sensors in the Remote are basically perfect; Kororinpa wouldn't have been possible without them.

Haunted

zigg said:
I'm guessing they're different map files. Oh, also, I think that was the only one
based on a comet
, am I right?
Ah, that's probably it. I guess it's fair to say that several green stars appear in either regular star maps or comet star maps , but not both.

Christine

Rash said:

That said, once you get it, it's not bad. My strategy is to hold the controller almost like I'm pointing, with my index finger lying on the tip of the remote and my thumb around the left side. Works so much better than holding the remote in standard position.

The racing also wasn't bad. See, it's about going fast, but you have to realize that in order to go fast enough to win, you have to find the best possible route through the course. It's not just a matter of smartly using the nosedive, it's a matter of knowing the course layout so that you can nearly nosedive the entire time.

I didn't have any problems grasping the controls immediately. I also beat both races on the first attempt - I wasn't in 1st place the whole time but I managed to pull ahead by the end. The only problems I actually had were 1) I missed the comet coin on the first run through wild glide 2) The first run through fleet glide, I was going too slow in the back half and got shut inside the hangar 3) Finding the 2nd green star in each galaxy.

Even if the controls weren't better than the Manta Ray races, the levels would still be easier because you're not confined to such a narrow path.

Davey Cakes

I still can't believe people have already done a complete 100% of this game.

I feel like I've been playing for a long time and I just beat the base game with 71 stars. In fact, I'm ready to take a break and play some other games before I go for 120 stars and beyond. Blowing through the entirety of the game in a couple of weeks is ridiculous.

Lamel

Banned
Joei said:

Hold it at the base in such a way that you only turn your wrist to control, not your whole forearm. If that doesn't help man, then I dunno because Fluzzard is pretty easy :lol

Just beat the game earlier today. Probably going to try going for the 120 Stars but I've never been able to do it before so we'll see. I like this game a million times more than the first Galaxy as well. Not sure what it is about it but I was almost a little disappointed at times during that one.

Oh, and
the very final Bowser battle where we're both floating in the air and he's trying to air punch me should have been how all Bowser battles were. Wasn't a fan of Galaxy or Galaxy 2 Bowser battles but that one was a lot of fun.

fireside

VGChampion said:
Just beat the game earlier today. Probably going to try going for the 120 Stars but I've never been able to do it before so we'll see. I like this game a million times more than the first Galaxy as well. Not sure what it is about it but I was almost a little disappointed at times during that one.

Oh, and
the very final Bowser battle where we're both floating in the air and he's trying to air punch me should have been how all Bowser battles were. Wasn't a fan of Galaxy or Galaxy 2 Bowser battles but that one was a lot of fun.
I thought that fight was terrible. I screwed up a lot of times and never got punished for it.

Hiltz

As far as the 120 stars go, I found SMG 2 to be easier than SMG 1. Quite frankly, I had a really hard time trying to attempt to beat Luigi's Purple Coins and the second garbage bomb throwing mission in the first game. I Still haven't beaten those two actually.

If you screw up enough times in "that" second part of the boss fight, you will automatically get hit. It happended to me once earlier today.

Future

Holy shit. After being stuck one of the stars that involves a slide, I finally switched the game mode on my tv to on....completed it in my first try since. That little input lag was fuckin me up

Just 100% the entire game. MY GOD that was awesome.

The
grand master galaxy perfect run
was such a bitch. I JUST beat it like 3 mins. ago and my hands are still shaking, I played that level SO SO SO SO many times.

Whew. Great game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I've come up with a term for that period between when you reveal/unleash the star by achieving the levels goals/beating the boss and when you actually get back through the obstacles to grab the star, when you're just like "oh man, its there, its right there, if I walk off a ledge now I have to do it all over again.

I now call it the "Don't Die, Dumbass" phase

I literally have no idea what to do on the first
Green Star on Stone Cyclone. I buckled in and watched videos, and I'm still confused because that's exactly what I'm doing but Mario is not jumping that high.

Forkball

I just beat
Boss Blitz Galaxy's Pranskter Comet
. It took me three tries, but I could have done it on the first try if Mario didn't run around like a bitch every time he gets burned. I'm at 119 stars now, I just need
the prankster comet's star on Stone Cyclone Galaxy to unlock the green star challenges.

Top Bottom