• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

hoqhuuep

EmCeeGramr said:
I literally have no idea what to do on the first
Green Star on Stone Cyclone. I buckled in and watched videos, and I'm still confused because that's exactly what I'm doing but Mario is not jumping that high.

Triple jump and a spin at the top. The tricky part is the angle.

Magnus

Have 89 stars and am starting to lose my patience looking for these Comet Coins. :(. :lol

No idea how so many people got 120 stars so quickly, nevermind 240.

Johnas

Magnus said:
Have 89 stars and am starting to lose my patience looking for these Comet Coins. :(. :lol

Here's a hint for finding them that you may or may not know:

The Comet Coin for each galaxy is always found in the first level of that galaxy

Also, the second 120 go by pretty quickly, in my experience anyway.

Forkball

Finally got 120.
Though wtf at having to fight Bowser again and sit through the LotR length ending. But finally, green stars. Time to put my platforming skills to the test.

Magnus

Johnas said:
Here's a hint for finding them that you may or may not know:

The Comet Coin for each galaxy is always found in the first level of that galaxy

Also, the second 120 go by pretty quickly, in my experience anyway.
I figured as much, but it's good to know this for certain. Thanks :)

Are there any real determinants for when and where prankster comets appear? I know they're obviously connected to comet coins, but the level and timing of their appearance always seems random.

Davey Cakes

Alucard said:
So, is this pretty much the best game ever?
That's too broad of a question. I think it's more reasonable merely to ask if it's better than the first game.

And I'm thinking that, even though it occasionally suffers from sequelitis, it's overall a tighter, more creative, and more challenging experience than the original Super Mario Galaxy. And, to many people Super Mario Galaxy was one of the best games of all time, and arguably the best Mario game or best Mario 3D Platformer of all time. It's not unreasonable to think of Galaxy 2 being better or worse than that, where it's much harder to say it's the greatest game of all time. I'm damn sure most folks could not seriously think of one single title as the greatest of all time without hours of deliberation and personal analysis.

zigg

Magnus said:
Are there any real determinants for when and where prankster comets appear? I know they're obviously connected to comet coins, but the level and timing of their appearance always seems random.
There seem to be a lot of factors Involved... One of the keys is that there are more medals than comets. You also have to clear the star the comet is based on, of course. Just keep playin' is my advice :D

Jasoco

Banned
zigg said:
Yeah, it's not so bad.
Major Burrows and my perpetual ill-timing of hitting him on his third phase
was the only thing that caused me trouble.
Me too! I didn't even have trouble with
Bouldergeist
. I spent too much time on that third guy because of his third phase. But I eventually got it right and beat the level with about 20 seconds left.

Fimbulvetr said:
It's less like a fight and more like a set piece.
I was sad that the last part was so short. Especially since the music that plays is the best one in the game and is much longer than it actually takes to beat him.

WillyFive

PhoncipleBone said:
The Fluzzard controls were easy to use, but I still hate those segments. When it is simply glide to the end, I am fine. It is the racing that I despise.

The trick is pulling down fast enough to get the speed, but not down enough to lose altitude too fast.

Got it in my first try.

rhino4evr

Magnus said:

Really? I found 90% of the comet coins were right out in the open. I usually get them ony first playthrough of the galaxy..I'm only missing one at the moment (out of 85 stars) and that's because I flew over it!!!

Nicktals

Banned
EzLink said:
50% completed :D

Hope getting 100% has a worthwhile reward, though I'm sure it doesn't

:lol No, it doesn't.

I mean, the final galaxy is the real reward. The reward for 100% is not really worth anything. Do it for the satisfaction. It was great after finally getting the comet star for the final galaxy.

Doorman

EmCeeGramr said:
I literally have no idea what to do on the first
Green Star on Stone Cyclone. I buckled in and watched videos, and I'm still confused because that's exactly what I'm doing but Mario is not jumping that high.

That might well be the most irritating one I've come across so far. I finally got it, though I feel like I might have cheated somewhat for it.

I used Luigi with a triple-jump plus spin and managed to barely snag it. I don't know if there's another way you're "supposed" to do it, but I assumed for a while that you had to get on top of the tox box somehow, which I just could not see myself pulling off.

Raw64life

stars. It didn't seem like you needed
9999 star bits to unlock the last level since I only had 9000 and change when I got 240 stars and it opened up the last level anyway
. Will try to put this game to bed tonight.

This is undoubtedly my GOTY, but does anyone else wish more levels were designed like the castle/Bowser Jr./Bowser levels? That is to say, one continuous path without those star transporter things? I like the linearity of SMG/SMG2, but the star transporters or whatever are pointless to me (unless they're serving some purpose like hiding load times, in which case I rescind this post). I'd much rather be able to run continuously through a level without stopping to jump into a star every couple of minutes and watch some canned 2-3 second animation.

rhino4evr

I am Super Mario said:
This is undoubtedly my GOTY, but does anyone else wish more levels were designed like the castle/Bowser Jr./Bowser levels? That is to say, one continuous path without those star transporter things? I like the linearity of SMG/SMG2, but the star transporters or whatever are pointless to me (unless they're serving some purpose like hiding load times, in which case I rescind this post). I'd much rather be able to run continuously through a level without stopping to jump into a star every couple of minutes and watch some canned 2-3 second animation.
I like jumping from planet to planet, it makes the levels feel larger then they really are, and it makes things feel more unpredictable.

Christine

rhino4evr said:
I like jumping from planet to planet, it makes the levels feel larger then they really are, and it makes things feel more unpredictable.

It's kind of cool to see the next/previous segment off in the distance.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Raw64life said:
9999 star bits to unlock the last level since I only had 9000 and change when I got 240 stars and it opened up the last level anyway

:lol

Finished it today with the bare minimum
stars. Decent game, but didn't blow me away. I don't have any desire to play the
Special World
, or get the stars I passed up. On to other games.

souvlakispacestation said:
stars. Decent game, but didn't blow me away. I don't have any desire to play the
Special World
Well there's your problem.

wait how are people having trouble getting
9,999 star bits
, I had well in excess of that by the time I needed them.

Are you just throwing them away or pretending this is a lightgun game or what.

Nicktals

Banned
Raw64life said:

That requirement
of 9999 starbits
is to unlock the
prankster comet for grandmaster galaxy, not the galaxy itself. So, after you beat the level and get the comet coin, make sure you have 9999 starbits IN THE BANK. And then...

Have fun! :D

EmCeeGramr said:
9,999 star bits

No, I only used star bits on the occasional out-of-reach enemy or by accident when I try using Yoshi's tongue immediately after getting hit. I had around 7000 when I got the 241st star and I doubt I used more than 100 throughout the entire game. You probably just died a lot more often than any of us and acquired more star bits as a result, unless you go out of your way and obsessively kill every enemy and spin every glass thing to get as many star bits as possible or something.

nincompoop said:
unless you go out of your way and obsessively kill every enemy and spin every glass thing to get as many star bits as possible or something.
isn't that what you just do naturally

i mean it's freaking glowy candy bouncing around why DON'T you collect it

something is wrong with your mind

Doorman

EmCeeGramr said:
9,999 star bits

I can already tell that unless I suddenly start dying a lot in the final stretches here, there is going to be quite a bit of grinding in my future. I used up basically everything I had to unlock the last galaxy in my front 120 run, and even though I've been conscious of picking them up, I'm collecting most
green stars
quickly enough that I never seem to accumulate that many within the level. I never knew that this did anything in the first game, so this time around I hadn't been very compulsive to collect them outside of just getting what I needed to move on.

EmCeeGramr said:
isn't that what you just do naturally

i mean it's freaking glowy candy bouncing around why DON'T you collect it
I do collect the stuff that's just bouncing around but why should I go out of my way to make more appear? The goal is to get the star at the end of the level and it doesn't make much sense to waste time doing anything that doesn't help lead you to that goal. Also I typically jump on enemies instead of spinning them whenever possible and I ignore the glass things unless they're holding a coin and I need health.

souvlakispacestation said:
Special World

You've finished less than half the game and haven't even attempted many of the most challenging and creative missions. Quitting the game at this point would be akin to walking out on Titanic right after they hit the iceberg. "I got the gist of it. They were on a ship and now it's going to sink. Onto other movies."

I just got 240 Stars today, I'm now working on
Grandmaster Galaxy

Jesus Christ, it it surprisingly very difficult, I'm about to give it another go, then work on the 9999 star bits.

Oh, and
fuck the hammer brothers.

Doorman

Coolio McAwesome said:
You've finished less than half the game and haven't even attempted many of the most challenging and creative missions. Quitting the game at this point would be akin to walking out on Titanic right after they hit the iceberg. "I got the gist of it. They were on a ship and now it's going to sink. Onto other movies."
To be fair that might not be the best analogy to use in this situation. I half wish I'd walked out on Titanic, too.

nincompoop said:
I do collect the stuff that's just bouncing around but why should I go out of my way to make more appear? The goal is to get the star at the end of the level and it doesn't make much sense to waste time doing anything that doesn't help lead you to that goal. Also I typically jump on enemies instead of spinning them whenever possible and I ignore the glass things unless they're holding a coin and I need health.
well see that's where we differ

i like to have fun and you are a soulless robot who has forgotten the meaning of love

Raw64life

Nicktals said:
That requirement
of 9999 starbits
is to unlock the
prankster comet for grandmaster galaxy, not the galaxy itself. So, after you beat the level and get the comet coin, make sure you have 9999 starbits IN THE BANK. And then...

Have fun! :D

Ah ok. I had enough to fill the bank so it wasn't an issue. Just beat
Grandmaster Galaxy. Only took me 5 or 6 tries and I actually made it through the entire hammer bros. section without getting hit thanks to reading about the ducking tip here. I have a feeling I'll be getting 242 tomorrow rather than tonight but I'm going to give it a shot.

Also, is there any point to beating the game again
after you get 242 stars or is it 100% pointless to do that?

rhino4evr

I finally beat that second box crate...I still hated it, even when I knew what to do.

There are some stars I never want to do again, and that's one of them...I don't mind challenge in my platformers...but I prefer that they involve platforming, not mini games.

I am Super Mario said:
I'd much rather be able to run continuously through a level without stopping to jump into a star every couple of minutes and watch some canned 2-3 second animation.

It's all about presentational value.

I can deal with the hub of the first galaxy gone but take away all the flair???

No way, not in a 3D Mario.

Top Bottom