• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Willy105 said:
Was it you? I never heard it before, but I guess it would make a good truthful name. :lol

:D It is a great game to play with a girlfriend or little sibling.

SMG2 is a great game to watch and it is actually engaging for the 2nd player.

My gf was more addicted than I was :lol

Coolio McAwesome said:
You've finished less than half the game and haven't even attempted many of the most challenging and creative missions. Quitting the game at this point would be akin to walking out on Titanic right after they hit the iceberg. "I got the gist of it. They were on a ship and now it's going to sink. Onto other movies."

Nah, I beat the last boss, watched the credits roll. Game over. All the extra stuff is just that - extra. Like deleted scenes and interviews included in the DVD release of a movie (since you want to go with a movie analogy).

Most of the stars I passed up were stupid speed or score runs of levels I already beat. No thanks.

Future

amtentori said:
:D It is a great game to play with a girlfriend or little sibling.

SMG2 is a great game to watch and it is actually engaging for the 2nd player.

My gf was more addicted than I was :lol

Wouldnt have believed this if I didnt witness it for myself. :lol At first she was surprised by how cute everything looked. Then she was hooked on me finding stars and actually asking to play more as P2. Shes seen many games before this mind you, but I always stopped ASAP cuz I dont want to bore her. But this time she was all about it, hah

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, I am never going to complete the perfect run, and I don't feel the urge to try anymore. I have better things to be doing, nerds.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tabsina said:
For us stuck in the stone ages (australia), what is the perfect run all about?

Most difficult traditional 3D Mario level, with one hit point of health and no checkpoints.

I think NSMBW's 9-4 and 9-7 might have been harder though, and maybe some of the more asinine SMG2 purple coin levels too.

Now that I've gotten 100% of the stars is there anything new if I fight Bowser and let the credits roll again or is
Rosalina on the starship the only new thing?
?

Rez said:
yeah, I am never going to complete the perfect run, and I don't feel the urge to try anymore. I have better things to be doing, nerds.
Rez said:
the gold crown looks better anyway
It's alright friend. Let it all out. Strong men also cry... strong men also cry.

Andrex said:
Most difficult traditional 3D Mario level, with one hit point of health and no checkpoints.

I think NSMBW's 9-4 and 9-7 might have been harder though, and maybe some of the more asinine SMG2 purple coin levels too.
I didn't have a problem with any of the purple coin levels. That's one area where I feel some of the levels from the original SMG were actually more difficult. Then again, I found SMG2 a lot easier on the whole than a lot of the reviews and impressions would have lead me to believe. The game relied almost entirely on Prankster comets placing additional limitations on levels already beaten for any real challenge. None of the core level design struck me as particularly difficult. Even when they threw an occasional curve ball at you the sections between checkpoints were so short it hardly mattered.

I'll agree that the game on the whole isn't very difficult. More challenging than Galaxy though.

The perfect run, though. THAT was awesome and difficult. 40 lives later, I beat it. Definitely reminds me of trying to get all the coins on 9-7 in NSMBWii.

I didn't really want the game to end. But when I see levels like the perfect run... man, I just want even more. Give me a whole World of levels like that.

Rez said:
it just hurts so much

What helped me was learning that I could make it to the electric-pulse part with three clouds. Also, I gave up on trying to kill all the hammer bros., and I just rushed the boomerang bros.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The only really difficult part of the level is the
circular lasers. Maybe if they only did one at a time or the section was shorter.
After that yeah you'll die sometimes, but you'll get the hang of the rest pretty quickly.

Dunno why they decided to beef up the difficulty in the beginning though. That was kinda dumb IMO.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, everything is manageable except for the damn flip-switch room.

AniHawk

Rez said:
the gold crown looks better anyway

only to people who've GIVEN UP ON LIFE

Rez said:

i had problems there but i just went back to the ultimate test and kept at it at the checkpoint until i found the rhythm to get through without getting hurt. and that was without being cloud mario/luigi. it didn't take long. after that, going through with two clouds was pretty easy.

Rez said:

In the last portion of the cloud room, there's a "hump" created by the electric fencing. Once you clear the hump, there's another cloud flower and the launch star on the other side.

If you create a cloud near the top of the hump, it will begin to blow right. The cloud will start to pass through the electric fence. Stay on the left side of the cloud as it begins to pass through the electricity. Do a backflip to jump over the tip of the "hump" created by the electricity. You can land on your cloud as it passes through to the other side.

Then you can get the cloud flower and just walk off your cloud, holding right. You'll fall directly into the launch star. Launch and then you'll have three clouds to save your ass in the flip-switch room.

Dunno if that made sense, but that's what saved me.

klier

4 days to go for EU gamers
eusa_dance.gif
eusa_dance.gif
eusa_dance.gif

Hyped to the max now after reading this thread pretty much every day since the first day! I even bought new Bose speakers for the music in Galaxy 2
usa7uh.gif

zigg

Coolio McAwesome said:
Quitting the game at this point would be akin to walking out on Titanic right after they hit the iceberg.

To be fair, Titanic is a James Cameron movie.

(also really I liked the whole damn game, it got even better as it went along, but I wasn't all "oh god this is so tedious someone show me the real fun" at any point save crate-burning)

Haunted

souvlakispacestation said:
Nah, I beat the last boss, watched the credits roll. Game over. All the extra stuff is just that - extra. Like deleted scenes and interviews included in the DVD release of a movie (since you want to go with a movie analogy).

Most of the stars I passed up were stupid speed or score runs of levels I already beat. No thanks.
If we're going with the movie analogy, you're just past the exposition, though. Now comes the real meat of the game/movie. But hey, it's your loss. ;)

dankir

The music in this game is ridiculous!

Anybody have the music from the fliptrap galaxy in world 1?

I kept dying just so I listen to it, also the level design is pretty damn ingenious this time around, bloody fantastic!

SaintZ

Y'all weren't kidding about the
3rd Green Sar in Melty Monster Galaxy
. I don't know how many lives I lost but I spent almost 17 minutes dying all over again until I got it right <____<

Bizzyb

Banned
I think Something is wrong with my TV settings. Does anyone else's Yoshi tend to blend in with the other green grasses, etc? When I first saw Yoshi I thought there was a graphical glitch b/c his noes was gone but then I noticed it was blending in with the green grass. I saw some footage the other day that made my Colors looked off as Yoshi was clearly contrasting with the green grass.

It's a bit annoying and was wondering if anyone had any info or advice?

Haunted

In case I hadn't mentioned it before, the theme of the World 3 Map is fantastic. Bit of a curveball when I first heard it, but that just makes it all the more powerful.

While not quite as brilliant as the first one, still an utterly outstanding soundtrack, overall. All
three Bowser themes
are bloody amazing.

the funny thing is, the first time i played through the ultimate test i was fine with the flip-switch part, but then I started dying on the hammer bros (and I was running out of lives) so i gave up and decided to come back later

then i kept fucking up on that part and it totally threw my rhythm off for the rest of the level

also it's maddening to get through the first half of the perfect run - well, perfectly - on your first try, then mistime a jump on the tail end of the flip switch section

Sagitario

Damn you, The Perfect Run!
And with that, I'm done with the game, 242 stars and all :D
Loved it, but I really missed some of the bigger level designs found in Galaxy 1.
I didn't find SMG2 difficult at all [just annoying in some parts] with the exception of that last green star...

Andrex said:

Not really, just for the fact the 9-7 is a really short level...

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I didn't have a problem with any of the purple coin levels. That's one area where I feel some of the levels from the original SMG were actually more difficult. Then again, I found SMG2 a lot easier on the whole than a lot of the reviews and impressions would have lead me to believe. The game relied almost entirely on Prankster comets placing additional limitations on levels already beaten for any real challenge. None of the core level design struck me as particularly difficult. Even when they threw an occasional curve ball at you the sections between checkpoints were so short it hardly mattered.

I feel exactly the same :D

I'm at 103 stars in SMG1 and it's already too hard for me to progress. :lol I don't think I will ever get to play with Luigi! I usually get frustrated much too fast and only try like...3 times before giving up.

Oh man. I'm only on World 5 and this game is beating me. The Ice/Lava level here took me like 15 lives to get through. At least the boss was easy :D

Top Bottom