• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Jasoco

Banned
thomaser said:
Ehhh... is there another way to spin than by shaking?
You misunderstand. The nunchuck is the thing with the stick. The remote is the long bar. Both can be shaken
not stirred
to spin.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
sublime085 said:
You can shake to spin in NSMB Wii as well btw.

And if you plug in the nunchuk and spin it, Wario shakes his booty on screen for five seconds.

Or was that Wario Land 5? Can't remember.

klier

AniHawk said:
i feel strangely compelled to visit germancarforum.com.

LOL :lol

Well if you like German cars, it's definitely a nice place to be. It's the same forum software as GAF, so you'll feel right at home ;)

WillyFive

Finally got to the last Bowser battle.

This game has the best ending credits since Portal.

Except this one is better.

The final Bowser battle was too short. Much shorter than the length of the music.

Amir0x

Banned
Willy105 said:
This game has the best ending credits since Portal.

Except this one is better.

Yeah....no. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is better than most games at most things, but the ending credits still go to PORTAL.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Amir0x said:
Yeah....no. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is better than most games at most things, but the ending credits still go to PORTAL.
Agreed. I'd rank Galaxy 2s up there though. I had put the remote down and was browsing GAF on the lappy, cause I figured, you know, credits, boring list.

Then I randomly looked up, and Mario was standing there, and I was like ".....wait....can I....I can? Awesomesauce!" and just spent the rest of the sequence jumping around and screwing with the NPCs.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the credits were boring. Especially after NSMBW.

I wish they'd let me skip them on repeat playthroughs.

I now have 9,999 star bits in Banktoad, so I should be set for
star 242!
Of course, at
just 220
I've got a small ways to go.

No grinding, but I did amass about 1,700~ from mission 3 in Melty Monster Galaxy, the two times I went through it (once for the star, once for the
green star
).

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yea NSMBW easily has superior credits. I do approve of this general Playable Credits trend though.

Also: 242 GGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait, you need 9999 stars in the bank for 242 to appear? Huh, never noticed. I got that many a quarter way through my green star hunt.

So, if the Wii remote receives no input, the game will just pause and say that it lost communication with the controller. Since the credits are pretty long, is that why the credits are playable?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
nincompoop said:
Wait, the credits are playable? What? *blinks*

dxmrg8.jpg

TripOpt55

I've got 19 stars so far (I'm somewhere in Wolrd 2) and am really liking it. Going to play some more tonight. Yoshi was kind of weird to get used to at first. I think just because of it using the pointer, but I got the hang of it pretty quick.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Freezie KO said:
So, if the Wii remote receives no input, the game will just pause and say that it lost communication with the controller. Since the credits are pretty long, is that why the credits are playable?
Probably, although I'd think if they wanted to they could program that out.

Nabs said:

The credits also seem to have something like mini-tasks to them, do you get anything different if you do them all? For example,
getting all the coins available. There's one on one screen tucked way back, hard to see, I think.
And of course,
unlocking the Bee Mario suit once you get 120 stars
makes it more suspicious, since it makes reaching certain things easier.

Too bad beating the game resets your stock of lives. It's silly how the game saves your coins, when they're only good for getting lives, which don't save between sessions.

I was reading the "GOTY so far" thread, and I kept reading how this game wasn't out in Europe yet. Having already 100%'d it, I feel like some sort of special class in an apartheid state. I know my privilege is unjust.

Freezie KO said:
I was reading the "GOTY so far" thread, and I kept reading how this game wasn't out in Europe yet. Having already 100%'d it, I feel like some sort of special class in an apartheid state. I know my privilege is unjust.

As a Dutch guy I feel this Mario-apartheid even more...2 days left :D

zigg

Andrex said:
I just thought they were snapshots of Mario's adventure like in SMG1. Huh.

Those were still action shots!

It seemed like the most natural thing in the world to me, particularly as they were framed just like the opening sequence had been.

160-ish stars so far, doing all the worlds sequentially. About halfway done with world 3. I've been using Luigi to give the man in green some more screentime but I think I might switch back to Mario (bleh) because things seem a lot easier with Mr. L.

What gets you higher, backflip and spin or triple jump and spin?

ccbfan

Finished all the green stars from World 1 - 5.

Kinda hit and miss on these stars (mostly miss).

Too many simple wall jumps.

Too many Triple jump to star.

Too many easy Cloud power ones. Its like Nintendo forgot how far you could long jump with cloud suit.

Those are just easy though the annoying thing is that there are way too many leap of faith to grab stars. Sometimes you can't even see the star when you jump because when you get into the position to jump the camera doesn't allow you to change to look at the star. One example is the snow level and the green star in the lava water fall at the edge. You could only see the star when you're at the other side of the level.

Some are just really bad like the end of world 5 where both stars are just hit it with cannon.

There are some good ones though like the one where you need to carry the cloud power through a good portion of the level. The rolling rock one where you had to do wall jumps on the undrawn bridge.

Also in the chompworks level. WTF with the star sound at the beginning of the level for the third green star(spring one) when the green star is at the end of the level. I spent like 30 lives looking for the star in the first section dropping off ledges on all sides and getting on top of the chomp dispensing block with the spring powerup.

I see a lot of potential for these star in World S though hopefully I see them fulfilled.

All duties pay attention from Friday onward, media markt has the game in stock for only
39 euro they stated that in there flayer that is distributed this week all over the country.

That is a very nice euro price launch ! :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
For the green stars, I only had to triple jump for 2 of 'em, IIRC. The rest I managed to snag using other, cleverer means.

Shiggy

The Dutch Slayer said:
All duties pay attention from Friday onward, media markt has the game in stock for only
39 euro they stated that in there flayer that is distributed this week all over the country.

That is a very nice euro price launch ! :)

They needed to as it's available for the same price on Amazon ;)

Haunted

HisshouBuraiKen said:
160-ish stars so far, doing all the worlds sequentially. About halfway done with world 3. I've been using Luigi to give the man in green some more screentime but I think I might switch back to Mario (bleh) because things seem a lot easier with Mr. L.

What gets you higher, backflip and spin or triple jump and spin?
The triple jump is the highest regular jump in the game.

Haunted

ccbfan said:
Too many simple wall jumps.

Too many Triple jump to star.

Too many easy Cloud power ones. Its like Nintendo forgot how far you could long jump with cloud suit.
Au contraire -
there's not enough wall jumping, triple jumping and precision athletics required in the game, instead of too much!

Actually, it's juuust right, but I'm trying to make a point here goddamnit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i do agree with the
cloud
thing though. usually have one or even two left over and i hardly consider myself competent at platformers. i'm only on like star 65 though so i'm sure that changes with some of the trickier stars. doesn't really bother me though, the sheer bliss sort of overwhelms everything else when i'm playing this game, even in levels that might be "annoying" or "too easy/boring" in less competent hands

Top Bottom