• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

ccbfan

Oh don't get me wrong guys.

I'm not saying those things are too complicated. I'm saying they're too easy.

I don't want just triple jump to star. I want triple jump with the third jump have to be done on top of a block, then a back flip wall jump spin to star. There needs to be more complicated things than a tutorial for flip jump, wall jump and triple jump.

It should be hard or creative. Or both. Not "Oh I see a star, all I have to do is wall to get". So far these stars are barely any harder to get than purple coins in the first one. (I would argue the purple coins in the snow and sand level in the first one are harder and trickier than most of the green stars so far) I'm not asking for all the stars to be like this but so far I haven't even seen ten yet. I mean do you really need
two green stars on the slide in the sand level.

Since these are "extra challenge stars", not really made for the blue ocean userbase, the Nintendo has, these should be hard. These are for the hardcore that busted through the initial 120 (Which so far none of the green stars are harder than the top 20 hardest initial 120.) Most of the time the difficult of these green stars are more about the camera angle you have to do these jumps in than anything else.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much after the hype from the gaffers.

We're having fun with the game. Dont understand what the complaints are about. It's creative AND fun. It's Mario AND Yoshi. It's Wall Jump AND Back Flip. It's Left Hand AND Right Hand. Everything is included :D

gamergirly said:
We're having fun with the game. Dont understand what the complaints are about. It's creative AND fun. It's Mario AND Yoshi. It's Wall Jump AND Back Flip. It's Left Hand AND Right Hand. Everything is included :D

All I can say is when most of the complaints in a platformer are about not being able to skip over infantile dialogue, the game must have done something right................REALLY right.

I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed in the green stars too. Some of them have been cool, but mostly it's finding them that's the challenge: I haven't had any trouble getting to any of them, but I've had a dozen or so "WHERE THE FUCK IS THIS STUPID THING?!" moments already (I'm at 202 stars). I doubt I ever would have found Green Star 3 in Space Storm Galaxy or Green Star 2 in Battlefield Glide Galaxy without looking at Youtube.

I think it would have been better to have each green star in a really hard-to-reach place, and then actually show exactly where it is in the into that plays after the star selection screen. Pure platforming challenges would have been so much more satisfying than this silly hide-and-seek chicanery.

Okay, so I got 241 stars and 9999 star bits but the prankster star isn't appearing for
Grandmaster galaxy.
Do I have to beat the game again for it to appear?

Branduil

One thing that bothers me: why does SMG 2 only have 3 save slots when the first one had six?

Really, there's no justification for not having unlimited save slots now that we're not limited by cartridges.

Okay I'll admit it, I got way more stoked than I should've when
Rosalina shows up at the end.
And Throwback Galaxy made me so happy.

What an incredible game.

Johnas

cosmicblizzard said:
Okay, so I got 241 stars and 9999 star bits but the prankster star isn't appearing for
Grandmaster galaxy.

Try either having all the star bits on Mario, or give them all to Banktoad. One or the other seemed to do the trick, can't remember which.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
cosmicblizzard said:
Grandmaster galaxy.

You do not have to beat the game again.
I had about 14K star bits (9999 with Bank Toad), but the first time I cleared the star, I forgot to get the comet coin. I had to replay it and get the comet coin, but once I did, the last star's comet spawned immediately.

thomaser

2m67bcl.jpg

Got the PAL-version early! Gonna play it tonight, but only if I get the two last stars in SMG1 first...

cosmicblizzard said:
Grandmaster galaxy.
Did you get the comet coin in The Ultimate Test?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So this game entirely ignores the first one? Mario's never seen a Luma before?
Man, the opening is lame compared to the first one.

Bentendo said:

Listen, don’t kid yourselves into thinking that you don’t care about achievements. You do. We know you do, because you’re an empty husk of a person who validates themselves with needless, crass, digital self-congratulatory fellation via the many asinine avenues afforded by the internet

Wow :lol

Anyway, finally beat the
perfect run
earlier today. Only took me about an hour and a half. My dog walked in front of the screen a few times on the last one at the flip-switch part. That was very scary but I managed to survive somehow.

WillyFive

John Harker said:

Actually, by the time the game ends, you will find out this game and the first one are very much connected, in a very Lost-like way.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
John Harker said:

It goes from the end of Galaxy 1 where the galaxy was recreated, so nobody remembers.

Effect

Would like to say I'm picking this up but never finished Super Mario Galaxy 1. In fact just finished playing it and I think I'm going have to start over with that as I've forgotten how to actually play its been so long. Still the game isn't as fun as I remember it to be. Still looks great and plays great. However I think I had more fun with Super Paper Mario and New Super Mario Bros Wii and even Sunshine. I think for me while I like the Wii remote for a lot of games I wish I could use the classic controller with the game. Has that been changed with Galaxy 2 or is still Wii remote and nunchuck only?

How in the hell can you like Super Paper Mario more than Galaxy? Get your head checked.

I was watching my sister play today, and I saw the "bronze" star for the first time.

I think I'd feel terrible if I got a bronze star because it literally looks like Rosalina shat on it.

Effect

viewtiful_dru said:
How in the hell can you like Super Paper Mario more than Galaxy? Get your head checked.

I was watching my sister play today, and I saw the "bronze" star for the first time.

I think I'd feel terrible if I got a bronze star because it literally looks like Rosalina shat on it.

Simple. I just do. I found it to be a lot of fun and funny. I'm more of a fan of 2D Mario compared to 3D Mario but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. My fun factor with Galaxy was just higher when it first came out. It's not the same now. I guess the "wow" has worn off in regard to the game. Though I will say the galaxy I finished playing (didn't beat) might have had something to do with it. The Drip Drip/Drop Galaxy. That was just annoying. Though like I said I'll have to relearn how to play. Maybe that might change.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So, uh why the fuck is it taking like close to forever for the other parts of the Iwata's Asks segments to be translated? :mad:

MDR1750

Neo Member
John Harker said:

the entire game is rosalina reading a story to the lumas. the game never happened. it's "mario 3 was a play" all over again

Duderz

Banned
Just got all 120 Power Stars, now going after the
Green Stars.

Quick question: When you get all
stars, do you get another secret addition to the ending?

Zomba13

MDR1750 said:
the entire game is rosalina reading a story to the lumas. the game never happened. it's "mario 3 was a play" all over again
But the Luma at the end with Mario/Luigi's hat. How did he get it :eek:?

rhino4evr

I beat the final bowser level..pretty disappointing, especially after the awesome final battle in NSMBW. The level 5 boss was much more interesting. I am looking forward to the post game content. I'm at 90 stars.

What the fuck is it with games and no volume adjustments? Is there any way I can turn my Wii volume down? It's like 10x louder than my PC's volume and it's just obnoxious. I'm about to just unplug the sound at this point.

Pyrokai

RiskyChris said:
What the fuck is it with games and no volume adjustments? Is there any way I can turn my Wii volume down? It's like 10x louder than my PC's volume and it's just obnoxious. I'm about to just unplug the sound at this point.

Just turn down your volume when playing Wii? Turning off the sound for this game is one of the worst mistakes you could possibly ever make. Ever.

Nabs

RiskyChris said:
the fuck

Pyrokai said:
Just turn down your volume when playing Wii? Turning off the sound for this game is one of the worst mistakes you could possibly ever make. Ever.

I'm feeding them through the same sound system and I am sick of the SMG soundtrack. *posting account explodes into flames*

Mejilan said:
You do not have to beat the game again.
I had about 14K star bits (9999 with Bank Toad), but the first time I cleared the star, I forgot to get the comet coin. I had to replay it and get the comet coin, but once I did, the last star's comet spawned immediately.

Snap. Was a bit annoyed I had to do that twice. But obviously...

I have to do it again.
Now I've not checked because I did the level after several attempts and I don't want my son (who's with me today) to hear that kind of language, so can someone confirm whether
the checkpoints are still there for the Daredevil Comet?
Because if not, I'm not sure I'll ever complete it.

HMV was running an ad in the Metro this morning. Trade in NSMB Wii or Mario Kart Wii and get SMG2 for £4.99. Until 13th June.

I'd go for it :)

klier

Nuclear Muffin said:
Interesting to hear that the game was once based around the theme of altering Mario's environment around him. They mention that the Beat Block galaxy and the yellow Yoshi came from this concept originally :D

This has long been a concept they wanted to do. Super Mario Sunshine had the same 'morphing worlds'.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whenever they talk about "wanting to do a feature" like this, it usually ends up in the next game almost exactly as they said. Galaxy 3 will probably revolve around this morphing worlds thing (Boo Moon, anyone?)

They may have talked about it before Sunshine, but... not like this.

elektrixx

Banned
I didn't realise until reading this thread that the "Luigi's Purple Coins" star on the first Galaxy was so easy! All this time I thought you had to get ALL those purple coins! After knowing there were fifty extra it only took me two tries.

Top Bottom