• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Nicktendo86

Just had an email from Game, my copy has been despatched!!! Should be with me tomorrow. It better fucking be anyway, this wait has been awful.

Mike M

Nick N
What's the criteria for making the Super Guide appear? So far I've only had it appear on one level (The second star of Melty Monster Galaxy), but it appeared after what didn't really seem like that many lives. I swear I've died more times on other levels (Mostly Comet levels or some other score challenge star), but it never appeared.

Does it only appear on the initially available stars for any given galaxy or something?

ccbfan

Woo finished the game last night. 242.

Tons of deaths in the Perfect Run. The flip platform and circle laser shooting part killed me so many times. Used star bits against the hammer bros and got through that easily.

Green Stars still was boring for world 6 and s especially the two battle arena levels. The 2d mario galaxy ones was completely a missed opportunity to do something cool.
I mean WTF with two hidden stars under green disappearing platforms that is easily seen with their shine.
Every galaxy with a cloud power up was still easy as hell to get the green stars. Happy they decided to put a green star on a comet coin stage though with flip out.

Still a great game though. (Best this gen easily for me) Just kinda disappointed with the green stars. They had so much potential to be amazing but at the end it seemed like they didn't put much thought in it at all. Most of them were so tacked on. Look like it took them a few hours to decide where to put them. At the end though the green star was just a completion bonus so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. Its just sad that when you see something with so much potential be so unfulfilled.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Super Guide appears after 8 consecutive deaths, IIRC, but will NOT spawn for comet stars. Only regular stars, as far as I can tell.

Hero of Canton said:
Snap. Was a bit annoyed I had to do that twice. But obviously...

I have to do it again.
Now I've not checked because I did the level after several attempts and I don't want my son (who's with me today) to hear that kind of language, so can someone confirm whether
the checkpoints are still there for the Daredevil Comet?
Because if not, I'm not sure I'll ever complete it.

No flags for the daredevil run. You screw up, you start ALL over again.
Also, some of the enemies are tweaked to be more difficult.
For example, for that first Yoshi platforming segment, all of the para-goombas that you could have used as stepping stones during the platform are replaced with those invulnerable, spiky, floating thingies. :D

ccbfan said:
Still a great game though. (Best this gen easily for me) Just kinda disappointed with the green stars. They had so much potential to be amazing but at the end it seemed like they didn't put much thought in it at all. Most of them were so tacked on.

I thought they were fine, people are so spoiled acting like they were part of the "regular" game, they were a bonus.

And an easily better one than playing with Luigi.

ccbfan

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I thought they were fine, people are so spoiled acting like they were part of the "regular" game, they were a bonus.

And an easily better one than playing with Luigi.

I love how you quote my message except this part

At the end though the green star was just a completion bonus so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

and then make exactly the same point to counter me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mike M said:
What's the criteria for making the Super Guide appear? So far I've only had it appear on one level (The second star of Melty Monster Galaxy), but it appeared after what didn't really seem like that many lives. I swear I've died more times on other levels (Mostly Comet levels or some other score challenge star), but it never appeared.

Does it only appear on the initially available stars for any given galaxy or something?
Nah, she only shows up on certain levels that they knew would drive people insane.

ccbfan said:
I love how you quote my message except this part

At the end though the green star was just a completion bonus so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

and then make exactly the same point to counter me.

I onbviously didn't read that part but the point was you felt there wasn't much effort for the green stars and they were tacked on and that's right.

I highly doubt these unbelievable designers took much time with them.

They probably did them as an afterthought in 5 minutes while taking a poopy.

Mike M

Nick N
I think my biggest and pretty much only disappointment with this game (which is still pretty small) is the distribution of power ups. Kinda sad that the Red Star (which had soooooooooo much potential that was never utilized in SMG1) and the Ice Flower didn't make a return appearance, whereas the totally unfun Coil Mushroom did (I know a lot of you like it. I hate it. Them's the breaks). The new power ups are pretty much universally awesome (Cloud Flower may be my favorite one ever), though I *really* wish there was a way to drop the drill when I wanted to. There also seemed to be a far greater emphasis on the new power ups vs the old ones, which I guess is understandable if you want to emphasize new gameplay elements over revisting what you did in the past.

My only other nitpick would be the map interface. It's greatly improved over SMG1, but could still be streamlined significantly. Map zooming out and selecting Starship Mario to controller buttons, let me scroll across a world map to select the galaxy I want to visit without having to move the ship, and let me select my galaxy from the world selection screen, and it'd be pretty much perfect.

Bentendo

Mike M said:
I think my biggest and pretty much only disappointment with this game (which is still pretty small) is the distribution of power ups. Kinda sad that the Red Star (which had soooooooooo much potential that was never utilized in SMG1) and the Ice Flower didn't make a return appearance, whereas the totally unfun Coil Mushroom did (I know a lot of you like it. I hate it. Them's the breaks). The new power ups are pretty much universally awesome (Cloud Flower may be my favorite one ever), though I *really* wish there was a way to drop the drill when I wanted to. There also seemed to be a far greater emphasis on the new power ups vs the old ones, which I guess is understandable if you want to emphasize new gameplay elements over revisting what you did in the past.

My only other nitpick would be the map interface. It's greatly improved over SMG1, but could still be streamlined significantly. Map zooming out and selecting Starship Mario to controller buttons, let me scroll across a world map to select the galaxy I want to visit without having to move the ship, and let me select my galaxy from the world selection screen, and it'd be pretty much perfect.

Those are some pretty valid criticisms. However, I disagree with your stance on the Ice Mushroom. I'm guessing that the developers felt like they did all that they can with it, and just replaced it with the switch to turn the pond into ice.

I would also add getting rid of the fire flower. It's just not fun and the time limit is annoying.

Hollywood Duo said:
Any tips for making the hammer bros section of The Perfect Run doable? It's driving me insane.
You can duck under the boomerang's the Boomerang Bro's throw at you, so they shouldn't be able to hit you unless you get unlucky. For the hammer bro's, pretty much always try to be circling them. Let them throw their 2 hammers then jump in quick and hit them.

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, I'm hard pressed to think of something they could do with the ice flower that they didn't already do, short of making it like the NSMBWii version where you could freeze enemies and chuck them around. I actually would love the Fire Flower without the time limit though... Even with it, I still have fun with it.

bridegur

As far as I can tell, at $50, SMG2 is far and away the best value for a game this generation. It has about ten times more worthwhile, enjoyable content than any other game I've completed in the last few years.

Also, I'm 100 stars in and I just learned about the ground sweep-kick.

Mike M

Nick N
That reminds me, how do you do the homing ground pound? I can't remember (Didn't use it much in SMG, but it seems like it might be helpful in some of the teleporter challenges in this one.)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Jump. Spin at the peak of the jump (more or less). Hit Z to initiate the ground-pound while spinning.

Mike M said:
That reminds me, how do you do the homing ground pound? I can't remember (Didn't use it much in SMG, but it seems like it might be helpful in some of the teleporter challenges in this one.)

Shake right about when you ground pound, I don't remember the exact timing but it's pretty generous and you'll figure it out.

KajunW said:
In terms of speedrunning, this game is about as good as it can get. Highly entertaining!

Totally! There's so many clever little shortcuts you can make, many times bypassing entire sections of game mechanics :lol

aceface

zigg said:
I saw it in a Nintendo Channel video—it's a combination long-jump/spin that knocks out an enemy then kicks him away. Demonstrated on a Hammer Bro.

Unfortunately I'm sort of video-disabled at the moment but I think it can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSH3BXEOXuM

Whoa, I didn't know you could move those leaf rafts around in...I believe it's starshine beach galaxy? On the star where you get to be cloud mario and you have to climb the clouds to the top of the tower I walked around the edge of the stage and then long jumped over to the tower with the help of clouds, and made it over with just enough clouds to climb the tower. Taking the leaf boat would have made it much easier, heh.

Wizpig

Mike M said:

So there's no Ice Skating - Ice Mario - Ice Flower in this game?

Mike M

Nick N
Wizpig said:
Galaxy 2 redeemed then.
I hope you can wall jump on the waterfalls like in Galaxy 1, but ice skating is enough.

Wall jumping water falls, ice skating, and running on cooled lava are all in the game, just without the use of the Ice Flower.

This game doesn't seem as fun as Galaxy to me. Stopped playing after 20 stars or so.
Nachkebia said:
32 stars and I am already bored :(
Nachkebia
Banned
(Today, 08:17 PM)
Reply | Quote

Quality ban, AAA moderation.

The_Technomancer said:
Dude, give it at least till world 5. Thats all I ask.
I'm going to keep playing, jus' sayin'. It's good value for money no doubt. I'll probably get banned for just saying that anyway.

Nicktals

Banned
Visualante said:
I'm going to keep playing, jus' sayin'. It's good value for money no doubt. I'll probably get banned for just saying that anyway.

We can hope!

I mean, c'mon, if you're going to state that, at least try to articulate why.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I assume this is well-known by now, but going for the 3rd
Green Star
, I found the 1-Up trick in Supermassive Galaxy. I guess I'll spoiler it just in case,
go to the first star, or anything "else" that qualifies for that route. Go to the checkpoint and take the first launch star over to the planet with 3 Koopa Troopas. Chase one down from behind, and do a jump high enough to get onto its back. Keep bouncing on it, you don't even need to hold A, just tilt the stick a little forward sometimes, and soon the Lives meter becomes completely meaningless.
Is this well-known? I guess anyone going for the
Green Star
would've found it.

Also, I have to say the first two
Green Stars
in Supermassive Galaxy are trash. It's really hard to gauge where they are, and they're just barely out of reach. I even tried long-jumping off the top of the giant Thwomps, but that angle's tricky to line up without camera control. I had to FAQ to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious on the first one, because it really is at the edge of your highest jump. I got them, but I've already done Melty Monster and
Stone Cyclone
for these, and I found these easily worse.

RiskyChris said:
Oh come on, that first one was easy but that second one is a completely misplaced monster. Fuck that
green star, lol

The first one's out of backflip/spin range,
and I tried triple jumping multiple times, with I guess imperfect spinning at the end, and it wasn't enough. I'm not sure what was different about the time I actually got it, really.

Finished cleaning out World 4. I'm kind of happy to be done with it, I realized it has some of the levels I liked least in the game. Just 5 and 6 to go.

Nicktals said:
We can hope!

I mean, c'mon, if you're going to state that, at least try to articulate why.
It's just not as fun. That is articulating why I'm not enjoying it as much as Galaxy. I think the structure is a bit dodgy in the way that you are thrown into a new world before you get to know it well. I don't think the level design is as good, not that I'm being asked to do repetitive things. I agree with Edge when they say it'll be 60 stars before they ask you to do the same thing twice. It has less wow factor for me I guess.

Top Bottom