• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Kulock said:
I assume this is well-known by now, but going for the 3rd
Green Star
, I found the 1-Up trick in Supermassive Galaxy. I guess I'll spoiler it just in case,
go to the first star, or anything "else" that qualifies for that route. Go to the checkpoint and take the first launch star over to the planet with 3 Koopa Troopas. Chase one down from behind, and do a jump high enough to get onto its back. Keep bouncing on it, you don't even need to hold A, just tilt the stick a little forward sometimes, and soon the Lives meter becomes completely meaningless.
Is this well-known? I guess anyone going for the
Green Star
would've found it.

I walked into the endgame with 99 lives thanks to that exploit.

Also, I have to say the first two
Green Stars
in Supermassive Galaxy are trash. It's really hard to gauge where they are, and they're just barely out of reach. I even tried long-jumping off the top of the giant Thwomps, but that angle's tricky to line up without camera control. I had to FAQ to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious on the first one, because it really is at the edge of your highest jump. I got them, but I've already done Melty Monster and
Stone Cyclone
for these, and I found these easily worse.

The ones that are very conspicuously placed typically either require tricky feats of platforming (or similar outside the box thinking), or were placed in such a fashion as to be spatially ambiguous. At least, that's the sense I got. Most of the latter lined up perfectly with what I can only call the most obvious/natural long jump trajectory or path.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mejilan said:

The ones that are very conspicuously placed typically either require tricky feats of platforming (or similar outside the box thinking), or were placed in such a fashion as to be spatially ambiguous. At least, that's the sense I got. Most of the latter lined up perfectly with what I can only call the most obvious/natural long jump trajectory or path.
Yeah, for the first one you have to time the third jump of your triple jump with the rotating coin so that its parallel to your path, so you can jump off the end of the coin.

Visualante said:
This game doesn't seem as fun as Galaxy to me. Stopped playing after 20 stars or so.

Kidding me? I'm 12 stars in and I'm already liking it more than the original Galaxy. The few powerups I've seen already surpass every powerup the original had except Bee Mario.

Mejilan said:

I don't think it's an exploit. I think it's something intentionally put into the game, like it was in Super Princess Peach and New SMB Wii (and maybe DS, I can't remember). It's just not as obvious as those staircase situations.

TripOpt55

I have 42 stars so far and am having a blast. I am towards the beginning of World 4. I like it better than the first Galaxy so far. It's just so much fun.

Davey Cakes

Some of these prankster comets are just really friggin' great. You can't beat "Flip -Swap's Purple Coins" and "Silver Stars in Double Time." They're perfectly rewarding.

Raw64life

Oh my fucking god finally it's all over. Spent about 100 lives over 3 days but I finally got
. What a fucking shitstorm. I'm shot. 32:56:00. Definitely better than Galaxy 1 due to the infinitely better end game bonus. GOTY by an incredibly wide margin. Does kind of make me want to go back and play Galaxy 1 now though as I never finished the Luigi 120 run.

Zing

Banned
I decided to boot up SMG1 tonight. I had 9 stars remaining with Luigi, so I decided to pound them out. I remember dying about 13 times on Luigi's Purple Coins, so I was expecting to spend some time. However, it only took me three tries. I think all the practice with SMG2 helped this time around. I was able to get all 242 within a couple hours.

Back to SMG2.
Only 36 green stars to go.

Forkball

I just watched the "Creative Play" video in the Nintendo Channel, and holy shit at the double kick. I had no idea you could do that. Skating backwards is also cool.

Hiltz

I'm really frustrated at the
last
green star mission in
World S Flip-Out
. I can get up to the last red shaft but I always get about half way up it due to one of the cosmic Mario's bumping into me. The thing is, the one that keeps hitting me is always doing it from the Other side of the red shaft!

Normally, this is one of my favorite galaxies, at least for the first star.The second star is a nightmare.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I must be good at Mario, because numerous levels people have complained about I've won either on my first or second life.

But I'm the kind of guy who thought Luigi's Purple Coins from Galaxy was easy as pie.

Hiltz

Plaguefox said:
Hiltz, I had this same issue. Consistently. When you jump up against the farthest-right red wall, hang on it and let yourself slide down just a smidge, then resume your upward climb. The cosmic clone that is plaguing you should hopefully be just outside of your path before you ascend at that point.

I'll try doing that next time.

Still need to complete the following green star missions :

Supermassive galaxy - 2nd star (it seems so simple yet always failed at reaching it)
Melty Monster galaxy - 2nd star (probably the most time consuming one to get)
Rainbow rolling ball - 2nd star (can't seem to get close enough)
Haunty Halls galaxy - 2nd star (just haven't done this one yet)
Stone Cyclone galaxy - both stars (can't reach the first star with triple jump and spin)
Throwback galaxy - 2nd star (camera angle just makes it tricky)

Jasoco

Banned
Kulock said:
Also, I have to say the first two
Green Stars
in Supermassive Galaxy are trash. It's really hard to gauge where they are, and they're just barely out of reach. I even tried long-jumping off the top of the giant Thwomps, but that angle's tricky to line up without camera control. I had to FAQ to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious on the first one, because it really is at the edge of your highest jump. I got them, but I've already done Melty Monster and
Stone Cyclone
for these, and I found these easily worse.
No way. Easy as pie. Especially with Luigi.

klier

Anyone successful in getting the game in Holland (EU) early?

I am going to drive to game stores this morning to see if there's one selling the game already....

PRAY WITH ME

LiToKi

Neo Member
klier said:
Anyone successful in getting the game in Holland (EU) early?

I am going to drive to game stores this morning to see if there's one selling the game already....

PRAY WITH ME
Would love to hear this. I've had a look at my local Media Markt and a Free Record Shop (at a station, they are slow to catch up by default, so hope is lost before you enter them anyway), but no go.

klier

So after driving around for 1.5 hour to several different game stores, I think I am going to smash all the teeth out of the next sales person's mouth who is going to tell me that he has the game but isn't allowed to sell it until tomorrow!!!

EatChildren said:
I must be good at Mario, because numerous levels people have complained about I've won either on my first or second life.

But I'm the kind of guy who thought Luigi's Purple Coins from Galaxy was easy as pie.
It's definitely not just you. Outside of a small handful of stars the difficulty level of SMG2 is overblown. I'm a little befuddled by how hard some people are finding certain stars as well. Overall I'd say it's slightly more challenging than SMG, but mostly because SMG was a cakewalk for a good 85% of the game, and most of the remaining 15% wasn't exceptionally taxing either.

It's still a fantastic game, but just like the first game the difficulty curve is to gradual, and it never entirely ramps up besides redoing a few timed sequences or daredevil runs, which isn't really the same as having the difficulty derive from the core level design itself. They definitely could have pushed the requirements for getting certain stars further. The various mechanics of Yoshi and the power suits were generally underutilized imo.

klier said:
So after driving around for 1.5 hour to several different game stores, I think I am going to smash all the teeth out of the next sales person's mouth who is going to tell me that he has the game but isn't allowed to sell it until tomorrow!!!

Use a spin attack.

KoffiiKat

Yes! Managed to buy it just now at a store that shall remain anonymous but loved. Take THAT, region encoding! :D

Should be about 5 hours until I can actually play it, but that's just as well... the residual adrenaline from when I waited for the inevitable "sorry, can't sell this until tomorrow" would just distract me from the gaming experience itself. :lol

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

My copy (pre-order from Game.co.uk) had an attempted delivery today, but apparently my GF didn't hear the doorbell and found the card from the postman about 20mins ago. Gotta wait till tomorrow to get it now :(

Bet the tin's all bashed to fuck too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hold the wiimote in the left hand. Hold the nunchuck in right.

You can now experience what it's like for some people to play 3D Mario games.

Nicktendo86

Monkeylord said:

My copy (pre-order from Game.co.uk) had an attempted delivery today, but apparently my GF didn't hear the doorbell and found the card from the postman about 20mins ago. Gotta wait till tomorrow to get it now :(

My worst nightmare, hence why I am having it delivered to work. I am constantly refreshing Parcelforce to find out exactly when it has been delivered. These big release days really don't help my work load...

Domstercool

Monkeylord said:

that's a shame! Mine came from GAME but fit through the letterbox :D

Monkeylord said:

I only order from Play now after Game tried to send a game in a box that was too big for my letterbox and I didn't get it for three weeks.

Fingers crossed that it's come by now, though I'm meant to be working my ass off this weekend to get my Zelda site online by World-changing Tuesday, so maybe it's best I have at least one more night of uninterrupted work!

Domstercool said:
that's a shame! Mine came from GAME but fit through the letterbox :D

Did they package it properly this time? I remember reading rage from New Mario Bros Wii pre-orderers about how their tin was all dented up :( I really like the artwork on the pre-order tin from Game, so would like it in decent nick.

Monkeylord said:

Um, did you not give your gf a gameplan? If I'm ever getting a delivery whoever I'm living with gets either the job done right or a double spin kick to the teeth.

Hollywood Duo said:
Finally got star 242, it was too hard I had to have my wife help me with the 2p:lol . Should I redo it solo?

Nope, snap your dvd in half and jump off a bridge.
I'm jealous you have a partner capable of more than just collecting 1ups

Rez said:
Hold the wiimote in the left hand. Hold the nunchuck in right.

You can now experience what it's like for some people to play 3D Mario games.

You know, I'm as left-handed as it gets and I've found with video games, you really need to just suck it up and get used to the default controls. I just kept forcing myself to play Wii games nunchuk-left and Wiimote-right until i got comfortable with it. I'm probably not quite as good with pointer aiming as I would be in my left hand, but it's fine and I'd be completely screwed up trying to using the analog stick in my right hand now, anyway.

Hollywood Duo said:
Finally got star 242, it was too hard I had to have my wife help me with the 2p:lol . Should I redo it solo?
I also had a second player help me out with that one. The whole time I was thinking, "man, this would absolutely suck by myself."

RiskyChris said:
Um, did you not give your gf a gameplan? If I'm ever getting a delivery whoever I'm living with gets either the job done right or a double spin kick to the teeth.

She knew it was supposed to arrive today or tomorrow, but like I said she didn't hear the doorbell go off. Thing is, for the past 2 weeks up until today our postman has been arriving closer to 15:30-16:00 instead of the usual 10:00, so that kinda threw her.

zigg

HeresSomeWeapons said:
I also had a second player help me out with that one. The whole time I was thinking, "man, this would absolutely suck by myself."

I played it both ways; solo generally proved easier, actually. There's just so much going on in some sections.

Mike M

Nick N
So yesterday I polished off all the stars I could and went and beat Bowser and am currently enjoying the post-game. I have mixed emotions about
World S
so far. On the one hand, I've loved all the levels so far, it's everything I would have expected
Throwback Galaxy
to be. On the other hand, I would have liked it if there were more levels like
Rainbow Road
that pull inspiration from further back in the franchise/different branches of the franchise rather than just having
a bunch of revisited SMG1 stuff with one Super Mario Sunshine bonus cave inspired level, and a Mario Kart nod.

Then again, maybe
Grandmaster Galaxy
will surprise me. I know it exists, but I don't know anything about it. Not sure how keen I am about having to go and track down a whole crap load of
green stars
to unlock it though.

I have to say though that
Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos
was surprisingly easy, I got it on my second try. Way easier than the original, there seems to be a pretty specific path you're supposed to take to get it done in time and avoid... the things you need to avoid...

I need to beat this game so I can get back to Street Fighter Four : (

Mike M said:
I have to say though that
Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos
was surprisingly easy, I got it on my second try. Way easier than the original, there seems to be a pretty specific path you're supposed to take to get it done in time and avoid... the things you need to avoid...
How the hell can it be easier than the original when it's literally the exact same level as the original but with more restrictions? Think about it, if you could save your input that you used to clear LCPCC and apply it to LPC, the exact same input would result in LPC being cleared as well. It''s completely mind-boggling how you could think that LCPCC was easier.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
nincompoop said:
How the hell can it be easier than the original when it's literally the exact same level as the original but with more restrictions? Think about it, if you could save your input that you used to clear LCPCC and apply it to LPC, the exact same input would result in LPC being cleared as well. It''s completely mind-boggling how you could think that LCPCC was easier.

LPC Chaos was way easier than LPC.

Monkeylord said:
Did they package it properly this time? I remember reading rage from New Mario Bros Wii pre-orderers about how their tin was all dented up :( I really like the artwork on the pre-order tin from Game, so would like it in decent nick.

Nope. Jiffy bag + Irreparable dents.

Complaint email sent.

Christine

nincompoop said:

It's not the same, though. There's solid ground to stand on instead of those spinning tiles, granted you just can't sit and wait but it's a lot easier to cross back over your path. Also, they turned off the auto-camera, which I think gave some people problems with jump angles.

Headhunter

Neo Member
Just great :)

Finaly got my copy of the game, and from minute one I loved it.

Played till 5 stars, and then the first
flip galaxy
And I lost almost 10 lives there, because it's tricky, but nevertheless it's fun.

Yoshi is a bit overpowered dont you think, yes eat everything, which comes in your way :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
nincompoop said:

The Galaxy 2 level removed the spinning floors. It compensated by adding Cosmic Clones but it didn't make it very hard overall.

Britprog

Got my UK PAL copy one day early with the collectors tin money box thing

IMG_0039-1.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0040-1.jpg

Sorry about the quality of pics, taken with my old iPhone 3G

Oh yeah 5 stars in already Woo Hoo

nincompoop said:

It's only easier in the sense that you've already done it in the first game and probably a bunch of times.

Otherwise, it's not as daunting as it first seems with the extral challenge but you can't say with any reason that it is easier in Mario Galaxy 2.

Top Bottom