• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Headhunter said:
Yoshi is a bit overpowered dont you think, yes eat everything, which comes in your way :)

Um, Yoshi is powerful, but he doesn't have shit on...
30vhT.png

Christine

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Otherwise, it's not as daunting as it first seems with the extral challenge but you can't say with any reason that it is easier in Mario Galaxy 2.

It's actually quite a bit easier. Boot up Galaxy again and do a direct comparison.

Mejilan said:
LPC Chaos was way easier than LPC.
It's possible that you had an easier time completing it for the first time than you did with LPC, since you were already familiar with LPC and knew the best route to take through the level, but saying that its design isn't more challenging when it's the same thing only there's an extra set of obstacles to avoid AND you're not allowed to miss any coins AND you have less time to complete it is just asinine.

EDIT - I forgot about the spinning floors, but they hardly added any difficulty to the original LPC.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
nincompoop said:
It's possible that you had an easier time completing it for the first time than you did with LPC, since you were already familiar with LPC and knew the best route to take through the level, but saying that its design isn't more challenging when it's the same thing only there's an extra set of obstacles to avoid AND you're not allowed to miss any coins AND you have less time to complete it is just asinine.

I beat it on my first go, and I haven't touched SMG in a year. LPC since way before that.

Time was NEVER an issue in LPC. Having a bit less of it here means nothing when the amount you have is still so generous. Similarly, the Cosmic Clones are no kind of obstacle, given the layout. The lack of the spinning platforms makes it infinitely easier. While it's true that there's 50 less coins, their placement is way, way more convenient.

LPC is a dramatically more difficult course than LPCC, IMHO. To be fair, I never thought that LPC was much of a challenge to begin with. LPCC is a joke in comparison, though.

Mejilan said:
I beat it on my first go, and I haven't touched SMG in a year. LPC since way before that.

Time was NEVER an issue in LPC. Having a bit less of it here means nothing when the amount you have is still so generous. Similarly, the Cosmic Clones are no kind of obstacle, given the layout. The lack of the spinning platforms makes it infinitely easier. While it's true that there's 50 less coins, their placement is way, way more convenient.

LPC is a dramatically more difficult course than LPCC, IMHO. To be fair, I never thought that LPC was much of a challenge to begin with. LPCC is a joke in comparison, though.
I beat LPCC on my first try too, but I did come close to dying a few times which is more than I can say about any of my LPC playthroughs that I can remember. (Seriously, that level was cake in the original.) And the stricter time limit is nothing to sneeze at either; I think I had around 5 seconds left when I completed it.

Christine

The auto-camera is a big factor. By removing it, LPCC proves that it hurt way more than it helped in the original LPC. This of course means that I was on the wrong side of some arguments in the Galaxy 1 thread, but in my defense there was no basis for comparison at that time.

Mike M

Nick N
The lack of the spinning panels, lack of auto camera, and lack of clusters of coins suspended over a void neccessitating a spin jump to safety all added up to make LPCC easier for me. Not that any of those obstacles were particularly challenging, but their absence just makes it all the easier.

Yes, there are 50 fewer coins to get, the time limit is shorter, and there are clones following you, but the coins are super easily obtainable and doesn't require much backtracking, so none of that really adds much to the challenge.

BowieZ

Banned
Who Posted?
BowieZ 218
HK-47 154
zigg 139
AniHawk 132
Willy105 118
rhino4evr 111
AceBandage 99

:lol

And I haven't even played it yet.

KevinCow

Banned
So that's the 120 star bonus? That's... disappointing. I was expecting like a whole second game the way you guys were talking about it.

KevinCow said:
So that's the 120 star bonus? That's... disappointing. I was expecting like a whole second game the way you guys were talking about it.
That's what you get for listening to internet chatter rather than just playing the game. :0

I've been up and down on how I feel about this game but these last few stars (I'm at 90 now) have been really spectacular. I've walked into so many stages now, and thought 'fuck, there's no way I'll ever be able to finish this' and then walked out satisfied a few dozen Marios later. I was so against this super guide stuff when I first read about it but basically it means that Mario (and hopefully Zelda) games can finally be challenging again.

Mejilan

nincompoop said:
I beat LPCC on my first try too, but I did come close to dying a few times which is more than I can say about any of my LPC playthroughs that I can remember. (Seriously, that level was cake in the original.) And the stricter time limit is nothing to sneeze at either; I think I had around 5 seconds left when I completed it.

How? I think I had like 20-25 seconds left over! :lol
Definitely don't agree with you though.
The more comfortable camera, more stable platforms, and MUCH more convenient coin layout all allowed for a much more laid back, less technical and demanding style of platforming. Really no comparison, IMHO.

Chris R

So fuck chompworks spring star. Took me ~10 tries to get the timing right to get across the first bridge, and then I get to a super small bridge with a horrible camera angle that results in me missing it entirely and jumping off the back end of the stage. So now every time I get across the first bridge, I die almost instantly anyways.I guess I'll never get 120 stars :lol

rhfb said:
So fuck chompworks spring star. Took me ~10 tries to get the timing right to get across the first bridge, and then I get to a super small bridge with a horrible camera angle that results in me missing it entirely and jumping off the back end of the stage. So now every time I get across the first bridge, I die almost instantly anyways.I guess I'll never get 120 stars :lol

Here's a hint. Don't use the spring until it is entirely necessary. IE not there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RiskyChris said:
Um, Yoshi is powerful, but he doesn't have shit on...
30vhT.png

My sister and I were playing together, and NSMBW too, and we're both big fans of World. I kept saying, "they should have done Yoshi like this..." and stuff, and she's like "No, that'd make the game too broken."

And I'm like, who cares? Being so broken actually made World the barrel of fun it was! :lol

KevinCow said:

It is a whole second game.

Just one taking place in the same levels - and with more emphasis on exploration than set objections.

Mejilan said:
How? I think I had like 20-25 seconds left over! :lol
Definitely don't agree with you though.
The more comfortable camera, more stable platforms, and MUCH more convenient coin layout all allowed for a much more laid back, less technical and demanding style of platforming. Really no comparison, IMHO.
IIRC, I took a less-than-perfect route at the start and ended up having to double back to the part where there's two rows of coins that you have to long jump over the goopy stuff to collect, and in doing so I got crossed up by the cosmic clones and had to slow down while waiting for them to pass. I guess if you take a perfect route through the level then the time limit and cosmic clones won't pose much of a challenge, but if you mess up at all or if you're unfamiliar with the layout in the first place then the difficulty gets magnified tenfold. I guarantee that anyone who plays SMG1 for the first time after completing SMG2 will find LPC1 to be much easier in comparison to LPC2 than you found LPC2 to be in comparison to LPC1, if that makes sense.

Mael

well I finally got it!
And another point for the used market! I junked 3/4 games I had absolutely no use for (Bully, Alone in the dark, nights & Family ski which is the only one I'd probably get again) and got the game for free.
Gotta love the used market :lol (considering the negative value of nights, I pity the fool who will end up with this and alone in the dark...)

Anyway I'm on my 3rd world, Yoshi is awesome, the level are vast and really beautiful.
the game so far is not as fun as nsmbw(even in solo) but vastly more creative.

The best part is how I never manage to get the star I get the hint for I think I got the hidden star something like 80% of the time first, it's awesome I never could do that since Mario 64!

Now the ugly : the butt ugly luma that can't seem to STFU, I swear he need to SHUT UP

I also loved the playable part of the intro, really awesoem although it's quite clear they're trying to steer the people who like nsmbw with that :p
the music is gorgeous like all hell!
Also I can't seem to make the difference between the 'real' levels and the bonus levels like you could in Galaxy (you know the places with less than 3 stars in them)
the map is the best thing to happen to 3d mario, it's open up a lot of possibilities and streamline the progression.

cloud mario is my new fav powerup :D, it open up the game like nothing else ever could I want it in every following mario games!

Also I got the tard pack with the explanation dvd, O M G they're actually taking their customers like frigging retards

So far I love it way more thna Galaxy but less than nsmbw

Chris R

TheUnknownForce said:
Here's a hint. Don't use the spring until it is entirely necessary. IE not there.
I tried everything but couldn't get out of the spring suit :/ I mean it might be possible to backflip plus spin over the chomps :/

Nicktendo86

Ok so the game arrived yesterday (thank god for game.co.uk) and I put in 5 hours last night with 30 power stars.

Wow, this game is amazing. Even the cover just screams fun, it has been a riot since the word go. I loved the first game but they have just improved everything so far, the map is a revelation (although the one gripe I have with the game so far is that I WISH you would return to the map rather than the faceship after getting a star).

Yoshi has been great, better than I expected and the different abilities really mix things up. The level of polish is just astonishing, it really feels like this game was crafted with love and care. In a strange way everything just makes sense, the checkpoints for example are such a great addition. You have these checkpoints but you don't HAVE to touch them if you don't want to, if you prefer the challenge. This means you can customise your experience a bit, if you are up to the challenge you can have it if you want. It looks great of course but the soundtrack is just out of this world, it has been really good so far. The only downer is I can't play it again all weekend! GOTY so far but it is still early days, only onto world 3 of course. Oh and btw I have loved the
prankster comets so far

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Woo! I'll finally be able to play SMG2 this weekend.

I know I've asked this before, but are there still any good deals available?

TheDrowningMan said:
Nope. Jiffy bag + Irreparable dents.

Complaint email sent.

Just to follow this up, Game have sent out a replacement tin bubble wrapped & packaged in a box. :)

Oh, and wonderful game. But we all know it is / knew it would be. ;)

TheDrowningMan said:
Just to follow this up, Game have sent out a replacement tin bubble wrapped & packaged in a box. :)

Oh, and wonderful game. But we all know it is / knew it would be. ;)

My GF just picked mine up from the post office, and said that the tin was ok, until she finally fished the lid out of the bag and found it wouldn't go on. Apparently, the top "looks like it's been stepped on."

Gonna have to wait till I get home from work before I can survey the damage, but I don't hold out much hope from her assessment.

I take it you just sent them a strongly worded email? I may have to pre-emptively start drafting one now lest they run out of replacements :(

Canti

Haven't played my Wii in such a long time. As I'm in Euroland I only got this Wednesday morning, beat the 70 star ending Thursday night. BEST GAME EVER <3 <3 <3

*Goes back to playing :D

Mejilan

nincompoop said:
IIRC, I took a less-than-perfect route at the start and ended up having to double back to the part where there's two rows of coins that you have to long jump over the goopy stuff to collect, and in doing so I got crossed up by the cosmic clones and had to slow down while waiting for them to pass. I guess if you take a perfect route through the level then the time limit and cosmic clones won't pose much of a challenge, but if you mess up at all or if you're unfamiliar with the layout in the first place then the difficulty gets magnified tenfold. I guarantee that anyone who plays SMG1 for the first time after completing SMG2 will find LPC1 to be much easier in comparison to LPC2 than you found LPC2 to be in comparison to LPC1, if that makes sense.

Gonna have to agree to disagree then.
I still think you're stark raving mad. ;p

Mike M

Nick N
Mejilan said:
Gonna have to agree to disagree then.
I still think you're stark raving mad. ;p

I'm going to have to concur. I just fired up SMG1 to attempt LPC again, and it's even worse than I remember. Way more long jumps than I remembered. LPCC has like what, eight coins total not just lying on solid ground (Well, until some of it disappears)? LPCC is objectively easier than LPC no matter which order you first play the levels. I'm baffled that anyone can think otherwise, honestly.

Is the beginner's guide DVD even playable on the Wii? I think you've failed when you have to pack something like that in, just make a kick-ass tutorial. My mom or whoever the target audience for that shit is would never watch an instruction video to play a bloody video game.

Sadist

Yay, SMG 2 GET :D

First four stars were fun allready. Yoshi is cool. Is it me or are the enemies in the game tougher?

Edit: lol, kinda tossed aside the dvd actually.

Nicktals

Banned
Mike M said:
I'm going to have to concur. I just fired up SMG1 to attempt LPC again, and it's even worse than I remember. Way more long jumps than I remembered. LPCC has like what, eight coins total not just lying on solid ground (Well, until some of it disappears)? LPCC is objectively easier than LPC no matter which order you first play the levels. I'm baffled that anyone can think otherwise, honestly.

I had no problem with LPC, and died 8 times for LPCC. I think it's all about how you play, and how well you've laid out a path for LPCC. I ran out of time like 3 times for LPCC. Until I looked at the layout a little better and laid out a good path. Then you're right, it wasn't so bad.

But really, for LPC, all you need to be able to do is jump and spin. Also, I can't believe so many people found the rotating platforms difficult at all. I don't recall ever having died as a result of those.

Ashkeloth

Got this this morning.

Nintendo have done it again. Pure joy packed onto a video game disk.

Did get a little sense of deja vu at the very beginning though.

Also, I massively facepalmed when I saw the included tutorial DVD. Christ, Nintendo. Even casuals don't want to be treated like children.

WillyFive

Sadist said:
Yay, SMG 2 GET :D

First four stars were fun allready. Yoshi is cool. Is it me or are the enemies in the game tougher?

Edit: lol, kinda tossed aside the dvd actually.

Yes, the enemies will kill you plenty of times.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I got it yesterday, have 18 stars. So good.

But random question. Been avoiding info about this game, so why did I get an instruction DVD that doesn't play on a Wii? Seems pretty pointless (didn't watch it).

Mike M

Nick N
Nicktals said:
I had no problem with LPC, and died 8 times for LPCC. I think it's all about how you play, and how well you've laid out a path for LPCC. I ran out of time like 3 times for LPCC. Until I looked at the layout a little better and laid out a good path. Then you're right, it wasn't so bad.
I didn't even lay out any plan, I just jumped around like a mad man and went for whatever coin was the nearest :lol

Granted, there wasn't a lot of time on the clock when I finished, but the timer stops when you grab the last coin (As opposed to LPC, which stops when you actually get the star.)

But really, for LPC, all you need to be able to do is jump and spin. Also, I can't believe so many people found the rotating platforms difficult at all. I don't recall ever having died as a result of those.

But in LPCC, you don't even need to do that much. You probably only *need* to jump maybe 4 times. And while the rotating platforms weren't super difficult to deal with, they will always by default be moreso than a platform that doesn't do anything at all.

shawnlreed

Just one more opinion on the LPC vs LPCC debate.

It took me probably 20 tries to get the star in LPC on SMG1.
I went into LPCC on SMG2 thinking it would be even harder because of the clones, and got the star on my first try.
No rotating platforms, and less jumping really did nerf LPCC, imo.

I thought the clockwork galaxy 100 purple coin challenge was more difficult than the LPCC one, as I died on it a few times trying to land my jumps on those spinning platforms while hustling to beat the clock.

Shiggy

After 30 stars I must say that it's pretty good, but just not the same feeling that I had with SMG1. The bosses seem to be a little bit harder (except for the recycled boss fights). I hope it will get better (is this even possible?) after world 3 ;)

The postman forgot to deliver the game at first, but then he returned to give me the Amazon package ;D

CoolS

Got it this morning and played it six hours straight just now, up to 36 stars. Had to force myself to stop now though. Man this game is awesome. It just keeps throwing more and more new stuff at you.
I wanna keep playinng, but if I do, it's going to be over WAY too fast:(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So: the Spin
Most subtle yet brilliant mechanic in a platformer ever? You don't even really notice it until you think about it, but the ability to effectively pause for a split second in mid-air and completely change your momentum in any direction makes jumping infinity less frustrating, because it all but eliminates deaths of "oh shit, I didn't want to jump there go back back back arrrghhh!"
It allows them to really ramp up some of the platformy jumpy challenge because of that increased maneuverability in mid-air.

Also, yeah, LPCC is faaaar easier then LPC. The rotating yellow platforms were always the hardest part of LPC because if you paused for even a second then you were awkwardly jumping off of a tilted surface with wonky jump momentum.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Decisions, decisions. My 8-year old daughter is getting into NSMB on her DS. She keeps seeing the ads for SMG2. Neither she or I have played SMG. I have heard that SMG2 is a better game overall and that one does not need to play SMG. She, however, wants both (of course). Is there enough of a difference between the two games to warrant buying both, or should SMG2 be good enough (and better) to start?

Top Bottom