• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm not sure if I should create a lttp topic with the first Super Mario Galaxy or not but I just finished Super Junk Galaxy and thought I should give an update. The boss (Tarantox) was the first experience with SMG I had that felt a little bit annoying until I came to the Sling Shot Galaxy, which was a little more annoying than that boss. The Wiimote, in my experience with it, isn't as accurate as I would like but the concepts behind Tarantox and Slingshot were fun regardless of the frustration I had with the Wiimote.

This brings me to a question about SMG2 - is the Wii Motion + required for SMG2? Can I still use the WM+ for the original SMG? Does the WM+ have much impact on the accuracy of the Wiimote itself?

Shrinnan said:
I'm not sure if I should create a lttp topic with the first Super Mario Galaxy or not but I just finished Super Junk Galaxy and thought I should give an update. The boss (Tarantox) was the first experience with SMG I had that felt a little bit annoying until I came to the Sling Shot Galaxy, which was a little more annoying than that boss. The Wiimote, in my experience with it, isn't as accurate as I would like but the concepts behind Tarantox and Slingshot were fun regardless of the frustration I had with the Wiimote.

This brings me to a question about SMG2 - is the Wii Motion + required for SMG2? Can I still use the WM+ for the original SMG? Does the WM+ have much impact on the accuracy of the Wiimote itself?

Wii MotionPlus is not used at all in Mario Galaxy 2, so you won't see any benefit. With that said, I had no problems playing the game using either IR or the motion-controlled spin-attack.

Shrennin

redbarchetta said:
Wii MotionPlus is not used at all in Mario Galaxy 2, so you won't see any benefit. With that said, I had no problems playing the game using either IR or the motion-controlled spin-attack.

I think I just need to get the hang of the Wiimote, this is the first game I've played on the Wii after all.

Gilby

Shrinnan said:
IR? I think I just need to get the hang of the Wiimote, this is the first game I've played on the Wii after all.

How far away do you sit from the sensor bar? I've never had any issues with the IR sensor on the wiimote, but my couch is fairly close.

Shrennin

Gilby said:
How far away do you sit from the sensor bar? I've never had any issues with the IR sensor on the wiimote, but my couch is fairly close.

My sensor is on top of the TV and I sit fairly close (I use a chair). I may try working with it and see if I can get it to work better. Like I said, it wasn't that big of a problem, but it was the first time in SMG that I became kinda frustrated with it.

I should note that my hands were kinda tired as well because I had been playing the game a bit before this. The game is addictive and it's hard to consciously realize how long I've been playing. I think if I had taken a break and my hands weren't tired then I would be much less frustrated, if frustrated at all.

Shrinnan said:
My sensor is on top of the TV and I sit fairly close (I use a chair). I may try working with it and see if I can get it to work better. Like I said, it wasn't that big of a problem, but it was the first time in SMG that I became kinda frustrated with it.

Hmm, the pointer works fine for me--I actually couldn't imagine it being more accurate.

Are you having any problems specifically? Like does the cursor jump around at all? If so, it could be sunlight or other light sources interfering--you can adjust the sensitivity in the Wii options screen, under "Sensor Bar." Also, make sure the Sensor Bar is also pushed right up to the edge of the TV, as the Wii Remote may not be able to "see" it if it's pushed back too far.

Can you tell I used to work at Nintendo's customer service department? ;)

Shrennin

redbarchetta said:
Hmm, the pointer works fine for me--I actually couldn't imagine it being more accurate.

Are you having any problems specifically? Like does the cursor jump around at all? If so, it could be sunlight or other light sources interfering--you can adjust the sensitivity in the Wii options screen, under "Sensor Bar." Also, make sure the Sensor Bar is also pushed right up to the edge of the TV, as the Wii Remote may not be able to "see" it if it's pushed back too far.

I'll try adjusting the sensitivity as well. The cursor has jumped around a bit so it also may be the light as well - I like playing with the lights on but I can manage with them off.

Then there's my hands being tired as well.

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll definitely work with it. As it is I can definitely live with it. Before I got this game (my first Wii game no less), I had thought the Wii remote would be a lot less accurate than it currently is. Most things that happened in Galaxy I blamed myself for so that's always a good sign. It was just those couple of moments in Space Junk and Sling Shot.

Can you tell I used to work at Nintendo's customer service department? ;)

You did sound like you knew a lot about the Wii remote, so yes. Especially now that you mentioned it. :D

legend166

I finally got this last week. 30 stars in, loooooving it.

The Galaxy where you free over the water with ice was so great. I love skating.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Shrinnan said:
I'll try adjusting the sensitivity as well. The cursor has jumped around a bit so it also may be the light as well - I like playing with the lights on but I can manage with them off.

Then there's my hands being tired as well.

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll definitely work with it. As it is I can definitely live with it. Before I got this game (my first Wii game no less), I had thought the Wii remote would be a lot less accurate than it currently is. Most things that happened in Galaxy I blamed myself for so that's always a good sign. It was just those couple of moments in Space Junk and Sling Shot.

You did sound like you knew a lot about the Wii remote, so yes. Especially now that you mentioned it. :D

pointer should be accurate and stable. it should behave as a mouse-like cursor. if it doesn,t there is something wrong with your setup. Small things like having a bright window behind the TV, a small lamp next to the TV, etc. make all the difference in the world.

finally started playing it today, ten stars so far

reaction:
33465010.gif

I thought they would never be able to top Galaxy but holy shit, Nintendo out-mastered themselves once again

Up to 160 now. Still so awesome.

But I'm trying to use the $20 amazon credit for preordering Galaxy 2 on Sin & Punishment 2 ... and there seems to be no way to do so? Does it not work on certain games, or did they stealth cancel the promotional code early, or what?

Not the first time Amazon has screwed me out of money so I wouldn't be surprised with anything, but...

Shrennin

amtentori said:
pointer should be accurate and stable. it should behave as a mouse-like cursor. if it doesn,t there is something wrong with your setup. Small things like having a bright window behind the TV, a small lamp next to the TV, etc. make all the difference in the world.

I have other lights not near the TV so I'll try to turn them on and keep my main light (which is fairly near the TV) off.

That should work if there is any light interference.

Shrinnan said:
I have other lights not near the TV so I'll try to turn them on and keep my main light (which is fairly near the TV) off.

That should work if there is any light interference.

Sometimes they can reflect off the screen itself too, which can be a bitch :lol

If you go to the settings screen I mentioned earlier, you can actually see exactly what the Wiimote sees. Basically, if you see more than 2 dots (or if they flicker on and off), then there's interference.

Shrennin

redbarchetta said:
Sometimes they can reflect off the screen itself too, which can be a bitch :lol

If you go to the settings screen I mentioned earlier, you can actually see exactly what the Wiimote sees. Basically, if you see more than 2 dots (or if they flicker on and off), then there's interference.

Oh, wow. The light I plan to turn off can rotate, so I'll rotate it away from the TV which should stop any reflection from the TV.

I'll check the settings screen with my main light on first just to see if there is any interference to begin with. I think there may be because I have had the cursor jump around a few times.

burgerdog

I just beat SMG1 a few days ago, how long should I wait before diving into this game? I bought the game the day it released, however, I still had SMG1 shrink-wrapped at the time so it's been sitting there waiting for me all this time. I don't want to jump in just yet since it may diminish some of the awesomeness(I hope) of this game.

burgerdog said:
I just beat SMG1 a few days ago, how long should I wait before diving into this game? I bought the game the day it released, however, I still had SMG1 shrink-wrapped at the time so it's been sitting there waiting for me all this time. I don't want to jump in just yet since it may diminish some of the awesomeness(I hope) of this game.

Eh, I'd go for it. Even with a two-year gap, it was still very familiar...and completely awesome. It won't wow you quite like the first one did, but it will still be fun as hell.

burgerdog

redbarchetta said:
Eh, I'd go for it. Even with a two-year gap, it was still very familiar...and completely awesome. It won't wow you quite like the first one did, but it will still be fun as hell.
Alright, I'll play it tomorrow.

burgerdog said:
Alright, I'll play it tomorrow.
I'm going to chime in and suggest waiting a bit longer. You can only play through a great game for the first time once, and if you just played Galaxy I think there's a fair risk of getting fatigued on the style. At the very least I would recommend playing through another game in between.

burgerdog

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'm going to chime in and suggest waiting a bit longer. You can only play through a great game for the first time once, and if you just played Galaxy I think there's a fair risk of getting fatigued on the style. At the very least I would recommend playing through another game in between.
I was planning on finishing Vesperia, I stopped playing the game 1/3 of the way in about a year ago. I also have NSMB Wii unopened, but I am barely just getting back into Mario games and I definitely don't want to get sick of them by playing all back-to-back-to-back. I may just try the first hub world and see how I feel.

Rindain

Banned
This Rolling Coaster purple coins is killing me. By far it's taken me more tries than any of the other 120 stars.

Any tips? It just seems impossible to grab those coins on the fast curves.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rindain said:
This Rolling Coaster purple coins is killing me. By far it's taken me more tries than any of the other 120 stars.

Any tips? It just seems impossible to grab those coins on the fast curves.
On the fast curves actually, you don't really need to worry about going over the edge accidently. You have to actively be trying to roll over the edge, its deceptive like that. Thats what helped me.

Rindain

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
On the fast curves actually, you don't really need to worry about going over the edge accidently. You have to actively be trying to roll over the edge, its deceptive like that. Thats what helped me.

Thanks! Finally got it. I figured out that you have to build up a lot of speed and then just make subtle adjustments to grab as many coins as possible. Still, that's the hardest part...getting every coin before that section (which is easy) helps a lot.

Also the
green stars
are really fun so far. I like how they provide a different type of challenge.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not feeling it.

Hang on, I'll rephrase that. Its great fun, but its just Mario Galaxy rehashed. Lots of the 'gimmick' levels I would have expected them to flesh out a little are still one-hit and they're gone. Most of the other levels are just retreads of old themes. They don't seem to introduce anything new. I love Yoshi generally, but he really isn't used in this game other than to pick up gimmick powerups which could have been done by mario anyway - blimp yoshi/cloud mario, whatever.

Completed it with nearly 100 stars so just need to go back to find hidden stars/comet coins/do comet runs etc. Will try and do 120 but TBH I gave up on galaxy one with Luigi's purple coins

Don't get me wrong, i'm loving it. I'm just finding it hard to see where its getting all the plaudits from.

mrklaw said:
Don't get me wrong, i'm loving it. I'm just finding it hard to see where its getting all the plaudits from.

I can only speak for myself: Because it's fun. It's the most fun I've had with a single-player game since the last Galaxy. It elicits exactly one emotion: Joy. Something so many other games neglect.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Dunno why but I'm having a great deal more fun with this than I did with the original.

Loki

Count of Concision
Nonoriri said:
Dunno why but I'm having a great deal more fun with this than I did with the original.

It's a much more streamlined experience, and the level design is better imo. More varied, and less downtime between levels. I'm loving it so far, about 20 stars in.

Feep

Banned
Post-game spoilers:
After 483 stars, FINALLY, there is a star to challenge me. The Perfect Run was absolutely glorious. With every single attempt and subsequent death, I could feel myself getting more consistent, more able to deal with each of the six phases' twists and turns. I was able to fairly accurately predict when I would triumph, and so I did, after about 22 lives.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish insane ROM hackers could do the same thing for Galaxy that they do with SMW, but alas, such is not meant to be. :D

Farewell, Super Mario Galaxies! I shall revisit you in the future, but it will never match the virgin runs of my past.

nincompoop said:
Well aside from the insane difficulty in general, the fact that
you're forced to play the last three parts as Cloud Mario (with no cloud refills), which screws up the timing of your jumps,
seems like something an asshole rom hacker would come up with.

But
being Cloud Mario/Luigi gives you better aerial control and more air time, it's actually kind of generous in a way. I'm surprised they didn't douse you with water at some point.

F#A#Oo

Banned
HELP

Just got 120 stars...

I go to the green stars sitting on the ship but they tell me to defeat the monster...or "thing". I have got everything crowned so what else is there? :/

mrklaw said:
I love Yoshi generally, but he really isn't used in this game other than to pick up gimmick powerups which could have been done by mario anyway - blimp yoshi/cloud mario, whatever.

He does everything he does in the other games and more, what MORE did you want from him???

Struct09

I finished it last night, and can easily declare it as my new favorite game of this generation. I have other games I want to focus on, but will definitely clean up all the stars in this one.

Shiggy

The green stars would've been great if they weren't in these boring levels. There's next to no exploration in this game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Big, open exploration Mario is like my most hated form of Mario and I'm so, so happy Galaxy 2 ditches any and all openness in favour of tighly designed pure platforming gameplay.

upandaway

Wizpig said:
Erm, why "Rom-hack like"?
I gave it that description before because it was made from bits and pieces of other mechanics in a design that's oriented around difficulty. That's really not how professional video games are made. It may get a justification out of those who find it difficult though.

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
The green stars would've been great if they weren't in these boring levels. There's next to no exploration in this game.
The only thing I don't like about the green stars is the fact that I have to restart the level every time I find one.

Shiggy

EatChildren said:
Big, open exploration Mario is like my most hated form of Mario and I'm so, so happy Galaxy 2 ditches any and all openness in favour of tighly designed pure platforming gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I hated SM64 and also didn't really like SMS when compared to SMG. Still, the latter had much more interesting levels, including Honeyhive Galaxy or Seaslide Galaxy or even Melty Molten. I miss galaxies such as these in which you had at least some exploration.

The only thing I don't like about the green stars is the fact that I have to restart the level every time I find one.

That's also pretty bad.

Up to this point, I prefer SMG1 by a large margin over SMG2.

WillyFive

So far, the green stars are a great way to go back to the exploration part of the series.

I don't see what is so bad about them, other than having no clue where they are.

[Nintex] said:

It would kind of suck if you didn't though, since many green stars are on separate Star Missions, meaning you might waste a lot of time searching for the final Green Star in the first main 'star mission' when it's actually in the second.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shiggy said:
Don't get me wrong, I hated SM64 and also didn't really like SMS when compared to SMG. Still, the latter had much more interesting levels, including Honeyhive Galaxy or Seaslide Galaxy or even Melty Molten. I miss galaxies such as these in which you had at least some exploration.

To each their own I guess. Honeyhive and Seaslide were two of my least favourite galaxies in the first game :lol. Honeyhive especially.

[Nintex] said:
The positioning of some of the stars kind of makes that a necessary evil.
Bowser Jr.'s Boom Bunker would be hilarious if it didn't restart.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
finished everything.

one of the absolute best games i have ever experienced, and as close to a perfect anything as i expect in life. the work of a great number of people working in concert who are irrefutably masters of their craft.

*sighs this thread is so full of happiness. It's that kind of Nintendo magic

anyway, just finished Fluffy Bluff Galaxy. The music was just..Jesus, I can't even explain it. They pulled a Gusty Garden, they fucking pulled a Gusty Garden again

*cries

Top Bottom