• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Hiltz

I like SMG 2 over the original game in every way except for the music.The sequel just doesn't have enough epic and memorable tracks.

Just need to get the right amount of star bits to do the last comet challenge.

Son of a bitch i hate when you fall in lava or whatever and mario starts frantically running around in pain, i can never control him and always fall back down 2 more times FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK i suck at this. I would prefer to just lose all health on the first hit at least let me die with dignity.

Speevy

Banned
I finally hit 110 stars, still working on the rest.

I must say that the Rainbow Road rolling level with the purple coins is horrible.

I mean, horrible.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
And with star #240 i tip my hat to Mr Miyamoto, and put my controller down.

#241, and the inevitable cheap-ass #242 with a comet are just too much. Its not even that its too hard, its just incredibly cheap to me. In the early parts of the stage there are decent checkpoints, then as you get further to what i presume the end is they actually stop giving you checkpoints..?? Does not compute.... Anyhow, no thanks.

By far one of the most enjoyable games ever. I had a blast getting all 240 stars!!!

Speevy said:

I must say that the Rainbow Road rolling level with the purple coins is horrible.

I mean, horrible.

Yeah that one was rough...it helps that there are more coins than you actually need to finish it correctly. Its not much though...i think theres only 10 extra coins.

Rindain

Banned
Speevy said:

I mean, horrible.

That took me more tries by far than any other of the first 120 stars.

The key is to get every coin up to the curving path part, then build up a lot of speed and make subtle moves to catch as many of those as possible. I eventually got a feel for it.

Davey Cakes

I got Rainbow Road's Purple Coins on the second try.

Chalk that up to another star where people are overblowing the difficulty. Then again, maybe I'm just really good.

It's the same thing with Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos. It's built to be tough, but it's only about as tough as the original Luigi's Purple Coins if not easier. Jeez, people.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Rash said:

Chalk that up to another star where people are overblowing the difficulty. Then again, maybe I'm just really good.

It's the same thing with Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos. It's built to be tough, but it's only about as tough as the original Luigi's Purple Coins if not easier. Jeez, people.

same! and i'm definitely not that good. i'm not good at all.

Rash said:

I didn't get it on the first try, but I got it on the first time I made it to the end. The section with the metal rod towers or whatever they're called kept doing me in.

I totally agree on this one. Far easier than the original. Half the squares in the level are completely hazard free.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Luigi's Purple Coin was easy as pie in both games.

Davey Cakes

[Nintex] said:
The only thing I don't like about the green stars is the fact that I have to restart the level every time I find one.
Yeah, that's the only real issue with them. It's especially bad when there's one right at the beginning of a level and it's easy to get. Makes going back into the level for the next one or two green stars seem more redundant than it already is.

Otherwise, green stars serve their purpose pretty well. They allow you to re-experience the game's levels once again, and do so while using the level designs in ways that you wouldn't use them in the initial run. A good example is one of the green stars in Space Storm Galaxy, where
you have to use a bubble cannon to reach the green star, where normally the bubble cannon is just there to send you to your demise
. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. You could say that there's some flawed execution with the green stars overall, but they are certainly a better reward than the Luigi playthrough in the first game by quite a bit.

And believe me, Luigi is actually what helped solidify Galaxy's greatness for me.

Soloist

Neo Member
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
#241, and the inevitable cheap-ass #242 with a comet are just too much. Its not even that its too hard, its just incredibly cheap to me. In the early parts of the stage there are decent checkpoints, then as you get further to what i presume the end is they actually stop giving you checkpoints..?? Does not compute.... Anyhow, no thanks.

I can understand if you stopped on 242 but there was checkpoint given to you on the area(with the blue stars) before the last area for 241. How is that not generous?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So apparently there is an update on the Super Mario Galaxy 2 aussie release disk.

Is it 4.3?

Rindain

Banned
Rash said:

Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos was easy...took me about two tries. It's NOTHING compared to the difficulty of the original LPC.

As for you getting Rolling Coaster Purple Coins on the 2nd try, I guess some people just have a knack for the rolling ball levels.

Did any of the first 120 stars take you more than 5 tries? If not, you are a really, really good player.

So, I've had some time to digest after getting all the stars and I'm still not sure which I prefer better, 1 or 2. I will say the thread title about infinite love and happiness is accurate for both games. I tip my hat to Nintendo, I don't know how it will be possible to top these 3d platformers. I always hate it when people say a game has "soul" but its clear to me that Nintendo's designers put every ounce of effort possible into this game. There were times when I kind of got bored, but that's because I would be playing hours on hours. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, to me, are what video games should aspire too in terms of content, level design, difficulty, and just plain fun.

Played for 9 hours, have 43 stars and am up to world 6! :D

It’s a very good game, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little disappointed. I mean don’t get me wrong, I like it a lot, but the hype was just too big....and it feels far too familiar for me. A lot of the magic has worn out.

I was expecting to be blown away all over again, but that only happens occasionally unfortunately. I thought this was easily going to be my GOTY, but it looks like Red Dead Redemption still has that title at the moment.

Mael

Rindain said:
Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos was easy...took me about two tries. It's NOTHING compared to the difficulty of the original LPC.

As for you getting Rolling Coaster Purple Coins on the 2nd try, I guess some people just have a knack for the rolling ball levels.

Did any of the first 120 stars take you more than 5 tries? If not, you are a really, really good player.
I can 't even begin to understand that!
I mean here it's basically the same with less coins and more hazard.
I know that if I try both challenge now, the original LPC will be done in so many less try it'll appear the easiest thing ever.

Davey Cakes

Rindain said:
Just a few, I think. I do consider myself a good player at platformers in general, but it's for damn sure that Galaxy 2 doesn't often reward cockiness.

Heck, I can recall multiple times that I've died from being hit by those rock-spitting enemies.

rhino4evr

Im at 200 stars and am starting to get a little warn out. I do appreciate the challenge of some of these green stars though. While the majority are simple..some of them take some real skill. The hardest so far? I'm on world 5 and just realized what you have to do to get the third star..which isn't easy by any stretch, th section with all the moving platforms is tricky, especialy having to do it daredevil style.

Forgot to mention I'm in freeze flame galaxy

BowieZ

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Im at 200 stars and am starting to get a little warn out. I do appreciate the challenge of some of these green stars though. While the majority are simple..some of them take some real skill. The hardest so far? I'm on world 5 and just realized what you have to do to get the third star..which isn't easy by any stretch, th section with all the moving platforms is tricky, especialy having to do it daredevil style.

Forgot to mention I'm in freeze flame galaxy
Shiverburn ;)

You could learn the shortcut trick lol

upandaway

beelzebozo said:
purple coin chaos took me 6-10 tries. i had to develop a strategy.
It clicked with me during the chain chomp puzzle level thing, that clones != moving fast. I think I did LPC Chaos on my first try after that.

Just make sure you move more than 1 step per second and you'll have plenty of time to do whatever you want.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
upandaway said:
It clicked with me during the chain chomp puzzle level thing, that clones != moving fast. I think I did LPC Chaos on my first try after that.

Just make sure you move more than 1 step per second and you'll have plenty of time to do whatever you want.

yeah, i didn't know this :lol

i just had to develop my chosen "path" through the level to collect the coins without feeling stuck doubling back too much past green platforms i'd already disintegrated. funny enough, once i got them all, i wasn't sure i could get back to the star. that was a mighty leap of faith between solid platforms boosted by a spin-jump.

Finally afforded this today. So far I've demolished World 1. Loving it. The original game is my favourite of all-time by a considerable stretch, and this has yet to show me that this will be any different by the end.

I don't like the 2D-ish world map. That's my only gripe so far. I like to have a hub world in 3D Mario, even if the one in Galaxy was quite plain and lacked exploration elements.

I only have 12 stars. So much to go. Yesssssssss. :D

/geekgasm

BowieZ

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't like the 2D-ish world map. That's my only gripe so far. I like to have a hub world in 3D Mario, even if the one in Galaxy was quite plain and lacked exploration elements.
There is a hub world, though.

zigg

beelzebozo said:
i'm sort of confused as to what to do with myself now.

i may go replay SMG.

It's been what, a month? since I got star 242 and I kind of want to go do the whole thing again.

olimpia84

Fix The Scientist said:
Son of a bitch i hate when you fall in lava or whatever and mario starts frantically running around in pain, i can never control him and always fall back down 2 more times FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK i suck at this. I would prefer to just lose all health on the first hit at least let me die with dignity.

That usually happens to me as well, although is not as bad as Mario 64.

I'm on the last star,
The Perfect Run
. I haven't had this much trouble with a game since getting the birthday party achievement on Arkham Asylum, and that's a piece of cake compared to this. GAH SO HARD

upandaway

beelzebozo said:
yeah, i didn't know this :lol

i just had to develop my chosen "path" through the level to collect the coins without feeling stuck doubling back too much past green platforms i'd already disintegrated. funny enough, once i got them all, i wasn't sure i could get back to the star. that was a mighty leap of faith between solid platforms boosted by a spin-jump.
Would've sucked to die after the star appears!

Never happened to me yet in any Mario game thank god.

JonnyBrad

Just a quick q as i've only just got this game. Are the Hint TV screens the superguide as i've seen a couple on World 1? I didn't think i'd died that much!

JonnyBrad said:
Just a quick q as i've only just got this game. Are the Hint TV screens the superguide as i've seen a couple on World 1? I didn't think i'd died that much!
Nope, those are just tutorials, similar to the sign posts in SM64, only they show a video as well I think. The Super Guide is a
ghostly looking Rosalina.

WillyFive

Speevy said:

I mean, horrible.

What?

That was one of the best (although perhaps a bit too easy)! What was bad about it?

CoolS

Willy105 said:
What?

That was one of the best (although perhaps a bit too easy)! What was bad about it?

When I saw that comet level I knew I would be retrying it for years. Then I did it on my first try. Probably will never get that lucky again in my life ^^

Oxx

I've had the game for about a week now and I still haven't popped it in my Wii.

Still, at least my copy of the first game's soundtrack arrived today.

Oxx

Willy105 said:
The latter.

I do have a fairly large stack of un-played games, but SMG2 has been an unfortunate victim of too much good weather, too much World Cup, and too much work.

Top Bottom