• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Snuggler said:
It's first month but it's been awhile since that data was recorded. Like a whole month and more. Not bad, though, you know it's gonna keep going for long time.
More like its first week.

Cygnus X-1

But once you reach 120 stars, are the supplementary 120 just a repetition of the same levels or what?

I'm currently at 90 stars.

Edit: went back to page 159. You devil guys are only talking about reaching 120 stars and 241/242 stars. Please tell me that the stars form 121 to 242 are not just a cheap repetition, but with speeedrun or something.

Shiggy

Cygnus X-1 said:
But once you reach 120 stars, are the supplementary 120 just a repetition of the same levels or what?

Edit: went back to page 159. You devil guys are only talking about reaching 120 stars and 241/242 stars. Please tell me that the stars form 121 to 242 are not just a cheap repetition, but with speeedrun or something.

Repetition, you need to watch out for these stars in levels you already visited.

AniHawk

Cygnus X-1 said:

It's more about exploration and knowledge of the layout of the levels, plus some actual platforming skill.

It's not a complete retread of the game like SMG. Also, the last two stars aren't like 121-240.

Cygnus X-1

AniHawk said:
It's more about exploration and knowledge of the layout of the levels, plus some actual platforming skill.

It's not a complete retread of the game like SMG. Also, the last two stars aren't like 121-240.

Ok, I suppose that's fair enough. And what about the music tracks? Still exactly the same?

Maron

Actually, from what I recall some worlds have different tracks in their green star levels. I remember one in particular.

But don't get your hopes up over the green stars too much. Several of them are just there in plain sight within the level. Hopefully you'll have too much fun getting the challenging/rewarding green stars to notice those worthless ones though.

sholmes

Neo Member
Question: I have 117 stars and now need
star bits to proceed. Any tips on quick and easy worlds to get tons of star bits?

BowieZ

Banned
sholmes said:
Question: I have 117 stars and now need
star bits to proceed. Any tips on quick and easy worlds to get tons of star bits?
Melty Monster Star 2 - Stroll Down Rolling Lane

rhino4evr

The green stars basically test your platforming skills while introduce you to some areas you never thought you could reach. I'm really inpressed that nintendo made such a great post game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
rhino4evr said:
The green stars basically test your platforming skills while introduce you to some areas you never thought you could reach. I'm really inpressed that nintendo made such a great post game.

agreed. i love the way it messes with your perception of the level geometry sometimes. sometimes it almost seems like you're glitching the level to get on top of something you're not supposed to, but there it is, a green star. amazing.

Cygnus X-1

rhino4evr said:

Maron said:
Actually, from what I recall some worlds have different tracks in their green star levels. I remember one in particular.

But don't get your hopes up over the green stars too much. Several of them are just there in plain sight within the level. Hopefully you'll have too much fun getting the challenging/rewarding green stars to notice those worthless ones though.

Thanks for answering.

jgwhiteus

Put some time into this over the weekend; got to 120 stars. Great, great game - I wasn't really feeling it for the first part - just seemed like more levels from Galaxy 1 - but then it just got better and better. I thought the level design was much tighter than SMG1 - no "throwaway" stars (there's a star on top of a house!), and no tedious Purple Coin marathons (I hated collecting 100 coins in the desert in SMG1) - it's possible to complete each level within a few minutes, even if you spend longer because you die so many times.

Even things I hated at first - the gliding stages and tree slide most of all - became more fun as I got better at them. It really reflects a platforming "philosophy" - giving clear objectives, and encouraging the player to try things over and over again (by supplying checkpoints and plenty of 1-ups) until your skill increases, and things you were horrible at suddenly become easy - and fun. It's a rare game that has you dying multiple times, yet doesn't feel frustrating (even if you get frustrated at yourself).

Melty Monster was probably my favorite - the music was just perfect. But there were so many great moments sprinkled throughout -
end of Slimy Spring really caught me by surprise.
Now on to the next part...

KoffiiKat

Just got 120 stars yesterday - after nailing the one with
shadow clones and wall jumps
(just had to attempt it sober, it seems :lol), I gave the
timed boss run
another go. And succeeded on the first try! I think this game really rewards taking a break for a day or two while your subconscious whittles away at how to clear a course. :D

Having so much fun with the
green stars
now. After working hours for every star to get to 120, this feels like instant gratification (great design, that). Of course, I expect it to get harder when I get closer to
. :lol

Linkup

Just came in to say that I'm really enjoying collecting the green stars. I was ready to put the game done when they showed them spreading across the worlds. ~150 and it's great.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Ben2749 said:
I honestly fail to see what's so hard to understand, especially considering I've already explained it clearly. Motion controls mean you cannot move in *exactly* the angle you wish. You will always have a few degrees margin of error. It's bigger for some than it is for others, as people have different levels of hand-eye co-ordination (which is why some people struggle with these levels so much), but even for the people that have better hand-eye co-ordination in this regard and beat all of the rolling ball levels on their first attempt (like myself), you're still going to be off at least a degree or two 99% of the time, because nobody has hand-eye co-ordination good enough to tilt something in *exactly* the right angle, and then hold it in place, both without deviating a single degree.

"Close enough" is not perfect. It is precisely what Amir0x said earlier: adequate.

I apologise if I'm coming across a bit harsh. But I just don't see how this can be disputed. Octagonal controls sticks mean that hitting those angles might as well be automated, as if you were pressing a button. There is ZERO margin for error.

tilt controls do have a place in some cases.

any imprecision are a limitation of current technology. imagine a perfect tilt recording device? would it still be inferior.

in ball rolling momentum based games, i would rather play with a tilt sensing than a thumbstick.
you get a bit more control and feedback if you are going very quickly and have to tilt in the opposite direction to stop. a joystick is intrinsically attached to a pivot, and for this reason you are restricted to a 2D plane of movements.

with a tilt sensing device, i feel you can better input different directions independently from each other, since you have a free floating device in 3d space. another advantage is that it still leaves your thumbs completely free.

again, any imprecision is not necessarily associated with the input type. just a current limitation.

Tab0203

1.3GB? Amazing. No crappy DLC/install/patch, no loading, no texture pop-in, no input lag, no FMV/CGI/pre-rendered video, and it runs at a stable tearing free 60fps. What a game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/super-mario-galaxy-2-review
Oli Welsh said:
Mario purists will quibble over the continued inclusion of motion control - as with the first Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, a quick flick of the remote is used to extend jumps with a spin as well as execute many power-ups and special moves - but it's been tuned to the point of faultless reliability, immediacy and comfort by now, so I can only suggest they get over it. The pointer's remarkable ability to let you be in two places on screen at once is more than compensation.

True. I lost most of my lives screwing up button combinations (butt stomp instead of a long jump, timing) or simply pressing the A button not hard enough. The spin move works 100% of the time in both Galaxy games. The same is true for pointing. It's accurate and precise. Note: I love both button and analog controls.

Is Mario Sunshine's spin move better, faster or more "precise" to pull off? (rotate analog stick + A) I never played it.

Precision... rolling/driving in a straight line is easier with an analog stick. Automatic re-center and a 2-4mm deadzone (inferior when it comes to precision) help in that regard. It's more or less used like a d-pad in most console racing games.

It's actually harder to hold an analog stick in one direction or make small changes (different angles while going around corners) than doing the same with motion controls. There's more room to work with and zero resistance. Plus: no deadzone, i.e. more precision and accuracy. In other words, it's easier to maintain a precise turn angle and get super drifts (Excite Truck) with tilt than it would be with analog stick control or d-pad.

edit

This reminds me of an older post:
Leondexter said:
There are many, many games (including lots of good ones) where learning just exactly when or how to press the buttons to make the game work properly is required.

Don't tell me you've never heard (or said, or yelled) "I pressed the fucking button!!!".

You've never failed to block or pull off a combo, never failed to press the right combination of buttons to grab or whip or wall jump or whatever?

Motion sensing is just an extension of that. You don't really think the controller is failing to sense that it's being moved, do you? Just like the buttons are not failing to sense they've been pressed. But if you don't do it right, it doesn't do what it's programmed to do.

Having said all that, of course, there is a long way to go to program games to recognize the variations in how different people will do the "same" motion. But you really shouldn't say it "doesn't work", because it does.
Well said.

The key is implementation. Here are just a few examples.

Motion controls (different IR pointer/accelerator/gyro sensitivity settings):

Accelerator:
- Mario Galaxy spin move = good vs. de Blob jump move = bad
- Kororinpa (tilt) = good vs. Monkey Ball Wii (tilt) = bad
- Boom Blox, Wii Sports = good vs. countless terrible "waggle" games = bad

IR pointer:
- Twilight Princess pointer sensitivity (deliberate lag + deadzone and still more precise than analog aiming) vs. Pikmin, Elebits zero pointer lag/deadzone.
- Red Steel 1 vs. Metroid Prime 3 (bounding box)
- RE4 (w/o bounding box)
- Metroid Prime visor/weapon selection (move around, run, jump, aim, shoot, switch to scan visor and scan a portal before landing) vs. analog stick-menu/d-pad/buttons weapon cycling, etc.

Gyro:
- Wii Sports Resort Disc Golf vs. Tiger Woods 10 Disc Golf
- Wii Sports Resort vs. Red Steel 2

Intentional restriction/design decision:
- Mario Galaxy ball rolling, flying, spring Mario
- Sky Crawlers plane controls
- Metroid Prime 3/Endless Ocean turning speed and bounding box
- Twilight Princess pointer sensitivity + horizontal bounding box

Inexperienced developers (time/budget constraints, 3rd tier, lazy):
- Okami Wii
- Fatal Frame Wii
- Red Steel 1
- shovelware
- etc.

Bugs and glitches:
- Boom Blox 1 pointer glitch
- Red Steel 1

Buttons:
- timing, triple jump/Spring Mario
- button combinations
- button mashing games
- tap A continuously to sprint
- acceleration mechanics (digital movement, intentional restriction)

Analog sticks:
- sensitivity
- deadzone (unintentional restriction)
- acceleration mechanics (intentional restriction)
- different types of analog sticks
- FNR4 analog vs. button patch
- RE4/Lost Planet (bounding box), MH3 (camera controls)

- Deus Ex 2, Fear 2 and Alan Wake (intentionally restrictive game/level/enemy design and shooting mechanics) vs. Deus Ex (PC), Fear (PC) and Max Paine 1&2 (PC).

Shiggy said:
thomaser said:
Ehhh... is there another way to spin than by shaking?
You can knock your head against the Wii Remote. Should work just as good.
:lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
92 stars in and this game continues to feel like a disappointment compared to Galaxy 1. I must be dead inside :(

Wizpig

If you get the Super Guide (without using it) do you lose the chance to get 100%?
What if you use it?

NSMBWii was like this, you couldn't get all the stars on your save file if a super guide spawned in your game, this is why I'm asking.

I'm trying not to read this thread in fear of spoilers (lol) but I just gotta know - does this game seriously continue on at this level of quality? I just started World 4 and I seriously have never played a game of such unrelenting quality.

This may sounds silly but this is one of the first times I'm almost afraid to keep going in fear that it somehow dips into lows. It's like finding a perfect band; you just keep hoping the next song you listen to from them will be just as amazing.

So far? This game is perfect.

I personally thought the game peaked around the end of world 5/start of world 6 when I played it. It's fairly consistent though, with the exception of some rehashed content here and there.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Holy shit, I can't believe I put this game down two weeks ago. Playing through the comets and they contain some of the best parts of the entire game. Sooo good. I'm at 99 stars.

EDIT: At what point do you have to fight bowser (the first time)? How many stars in?

Mike M

Nick N
Fantastical said:
Holy shit, I can't believe I put this game down two weeks ago. Playing through the comets and they contain some of the best parts of the entire game. Sooo good. I'm at 99 stars.

EDIT: At what point do you have to fight bowser (the first time)? How many stars in?
You can fight Bowser as early as 70 stars I think, you max out at 105 or so until you beat him.

m.i.s.

Banned
JasoNsider said:
I'm trying not to read this thread in fear of spoilers (lol) but I just gotta know - does this game seriously continue on at this level of quality? I just started World 4 and I seriously have never played a game of such unrelenting quality.

This may sounds silly but this is one of the first times I'm almost afraid to keep going in fear that it somehow dips into lows. It's like finding a perfect band; you just keep hoping the next song you listen to from them will be just as amazing.

So far? This game is perfect.

^^ This.

Just navigating the game world is such a joy: the map to move between levels seamlessly, the autosave after each star is acquired, the way the Mario Ship becomes populated with items and characters as a memento of your progress.

Fantastic stuff.

I have 80 stars now. Loving every single second.

I could write paragraph after paragraph about how it simply improves upon the imagination, tuning and atmosphere of the original, but I'll simply say it's my new favourite game of all-time. It's basically flawless.

Jex

Creamium said:
92 stars in and this game continues to feel like a disappointment compared to Galaxy 1. I must be dead inside :(

Nah, I feel similarly.

It's still really good, but it's not that polished and perfect experience of Galaxy 1. #

I also don't enjoy the progression as much : I feel that i'm being forced to hunt through every single galaxy to get enough bits and stars to proceed, the flow seemed smoother in Galaxy 1.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Jexhius said:
Nah, I feel similarly.

It's still really good, but it's not that polished and perfect experience of Galaxy 1. #

I also don't enjoy the progression as much : I feel that i'm being forced to hunt through every single galaxy to get enough bits and stars to proceed, the flow seemed smoother in Galaxy 1.

Yeah, it's pretty much my drive for completion that makes me want to get 120 in this game, not really the game itself. That was completely different in Galaxy 1, I remember getting the first 120 in 2 days, then restarting with Luigi immediately to get 120 again. I only had that sense of wonder in the beginning of 2, when there were still new suits to discover and the new mechanics were still fresh. The drill and yoshi levels were awesome. The game actually started to become a bit of a drag around world 4/5. I also don't get galaxies like
Boss Blitz. Yes, by all means, let's fight all the bosses of G1 again. Same for throwback galaxy. You'd expect Galaxy to pay homage to a level and put a spin on it, but it really feels like you're just replaying the SM64 stage. Cloud suit makes it a bit different, but I don't get the inclusion of stages like that.

I do like the spin levels though. Just did the wall jump one at the end and that was a challenging and fun level. I don't have a clue as to how you get the comet coin there though.

A star that seems impossible is the second crate destroying challenge. There are a TON of crates, and very, very little time. I'm probably spamming the fireballs too much still.

112 stars in, so I pretty much have to go for 120 now and see what this post game is all about.

HeySeuss

Just finished getting all the
green stars
and unlocked the final level. Some of them were fun but I didn't get as much enjoyment out of them as some of you.

I thought some of them felt like added filler. Some of them were really artificially cheap/hard because of the "jump to your death" ultimatum ones and a lot were ridiculously easy. Some though were very rewarding because of genuine skill needed but those were far between imo.

I think the last level will be exactly what I wanted in challenge and frustration. I tried it twice before calling it a day yesterday so I could savor it today and make it last.

Mike M

Nick N
Creamium said:
I do like the spin levels though. Just did the wall jump one at the end and that was a challenging and fun level. I don't have a clue as to how you get the comet coin there though.
Leave the blue walls recessed. Long jump like hell across the spikes. When you get to the first vertical climb, climb up to the top of the left hand side where the starbits are. Make sure red is OUT and blue is IN. Long jump from the very edge to your left, spin at the last possible second to extend the blue platform and gain enough altitude to land on it.

Mike M

Nick N
dankir said:
So yeah... fuck Stone Cyclone Galaxy !?@?!@

Wasn't the exact same one or something very similar found in Galaxy 1?
If I recall correctly, it's a repeat of a Prankster Comet version of one star from a Galaxy in SMG1 with a few changes.

All of World S is like that.

dankir

Mike M said:
If I recall correctly, it's a repeat of a Prankster Comet version of one star from a Galaxy in SMG1 with a few changes.

All of World S is like that.

Oh yeah? I don't remember the twisty one or rainbow slide one from Galaxy 1. Whatever I'm going nuts on Stone Cyclone, what do you have to do in the prankster challenge?

HeySeuss

dankir said:

It's not so bad once you figure out the first shortcut. Granted you can't take the shortcut to get the first star but as you start the level where that octo thing is you can long jump to the long narrow moving stone. Jump as it starts going away from you.

From there you can long jump to the slomo switch platform. This shortcut is useful in getting the other stars after the initial one and skips about 25% of the level.

theluma

It is honestly beyond me how a game about plumbers can do the shit this game does to me...that is what blows me away about Nintendo.
The credits music sums up the sheer awe this game inspires quite nicely.

Speaking of which, has the Club Nintendo OST been released in Japan yet?

rhino4evr

dankir said:

I had so much trouble with this stage..mainly because getting the comet coin is a total bitch..but I found the prankster star to be easier..I did it on my first try.

rhino4evr

I'm at around 220 I skipped a few here and there (the glide ones) and gave up on a few. I'm having a really hard time getting the first star on rainbow road.

Sagitario

rhino4evr said:
I had so much trouble with this stage..mainly because getting the comet coin is a total bitch..but I found the prankster star to be easier..I did it on my first try.

The second green star was a pain in the ass for me, one of the few stances were I wish I had control of the camera...

Speevy

Banned
Does anyone have any tips for the speed run in Throwback Throwdown Galaxy?

I keep alternating between losing time or getting killed. Very frustrating when you lose.

I Beat the final boss. Finished with 71 stars. I don't think I have skills to go ahead and do others. Fun times. Not the greatest game of all time like it was hyped but very fun game. Mario 64 some how had proper difficulty I think. This game I found to be very hard although I have to admit I suck at gaming in general. I totally disliked spring Mario and walking on the ball.

Boney

Banned
crazy monkey said:
I Beat the final boss. Finished with 71 stars. I don't think I have skills to go ahead and do others. Fun times. Not the greatest game of all time like it was hyped but very fun game. Mario 64 some how had proper difficulty I think. This game I found to be very hard although I have to admit I suck at gaming in general. I totally disliked spring Mario and walking on the ball.
Yeah.. beating a third of the game doesn't really cut it ;)

Boney said:
Yeah.. beating a third of the game doesn't really cut it ;)
ya I know but I don't think I am hard core enough to finish all 242 stars I have seen some of the videos of later stars and looks way too hard. I died way tooo many times on many things. :lol I enjoyed the game as much as I think I will do. If I play more the charm for me will be gone and it will be like doing work when you don't want to.

Top Bottom