• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Finally got to
241. I can't believe they not only changed the level design on the Perfect Run but also removed the checkpoints...fuck

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok, so I got 120 and started collecting green stars. This is actually a lot of fun. You finally have to start using the triple jump and other advanced tricks to get some of the higher up stars.
Minor gripe though: I wish the game didn't bump me back to the ship after every found star. And that 'prankster comet!' alert every time, ugh. I mean, some of these only take a minute to find and it's kinda lame to get thrown back when you already see the next green star in the distance somewhere. I wish there was an option to allow collection of multiple stars per run through, because some can be found pretty close to each other.

Otherwise it's a great addition to the game. My personal gripes with the main game aside, you can see Nintendo really did its best to iron out some of the kinks of G1 (map/hub) and provide a meaty post game for the hardcore platformers.

Doubt if anyone's gonna bother to reply to this!

Just tuned into this thread to see if the continual outstanding reception of MG2 on GAF has abated at all.

On occasion I've bought or been hyped to play a game based on internet hyperbole, but in the event the game under-delivered, and then the next time I read a thread about it, the consensus reflects that.

Anyway it seems now it's had time to bed in, that MG2 is still a lot of people's best loved game from this year.

But one thing I note from the replies on this page, and from my experience with MG1 (still probably around 60 stars), is that 'seeing the whole game' is something for the hardcore only, whereas many people, myself probably included, will only push for about half.

I find that disappointing!

I realise it's not a particularly interesting debating point, and comes with a load of unnecessary baggage.

The only thing I should say is that I'm all for difficult and challenging games; games with longevity and games that provide layer after layer of rewards. I loved getting my mind right inside games like SMB3 and SMW, and Super Ghouls & Ghosts.

Maybe there's something about being twenty years older now, that means I'd like things a little bit more on my plate?

If so then I wouldn't want that fact to hold younger generations back from having their rocks sorely tested by new generations of games.

But I just thought ... With Mario ... It never used to be like that, did it?

You either gave up on the game, or you found a way to beat it. And if you did anything but the latter, then what kind of a pussy were you?

Rather than continuing to crap on, I'll just conclude that it seems to me that the balance has shifted in a remarkable way.

In older Mario games there might be 5% or 10% at the end that was an optional extra for the hardcore to muck about with.

Now that percentage lies somewhere between 50% and 75%!

I don't want the game to be weaksauce. But as I said, it's disappointing to think that so high a proportion of the game's content is likely to remain permanently out of my reach ...

Ach.

Feep

Banned
B-B-Bomba! said:
Doubt if anyone's gonna bother to reply to this!

Just tuned into this thread to see if the continual outstanding reception of MG2 on GAF has abated at all.

On occasion I've bought or been hyped to play a game based on internet hyperbole, but in the event the game under-delivered, and then the next time I read a thread about it, the consensus reflects that.

Anyway it seems now it's had time to bed in, that MG2 is still a lot of people's best loved game from this year.

But one thing I note from the replies on this page, and from my experience with MG1 (still probably around 60 stars), is that 'seeing the whole game' is something for the hardcore only, whereas many people, myself probably included, will only push for about half.

I find that disappointing!

I realise it's not a particularly interesting debating point, and comes with a load of unnecessary baggage.

The only thing I should say is that I'm all for difficult and challenging games; games with longevity and games that provide layer after layer of rewards. I loved getting my mind right inside games like SMB3 and SMW, and Super Ghouls & Ghosts.

Maybe there's something about being twenty years older now, that means I'd like things a little bit more on my plate?

If so then I wouldn't want that fact to hold younger generations back from having their rocks sorely tested by new generations of games.

But I just thought ... With Mario ... It never used to be like that, did it?

You either gave up on the game, or you found a way to beat it. And if you did anything but the latter, then what kind of a pussy were you?

Rather than continuing to crap on, I'll just conclude that it seems to me that the balance has shifted in a remarkable way.

In older Mario games there might be 5% or 10% at the end that was an optional extra for the hardcore to muck about with.

Now that percentage lies somewhere between 50% and 75%!

I don't want the game to be weaksauce. But as I said, it's disappointing to think that so high a proportion of the game's content is likely to remain permanently out of my reach ...

Ach.
No offense, but is English your first language?

This doesn't make any sense. There are very challenging stars, yes, but there's tons of content even disregarding those. It's a brilliant way to ensure that hardcore gamers can be challenged, while allowing players of lesser skill to complete the game.

Tough noogies if you're not good enough. I happen to think the game is still too easy. Challenging players, and then rewarding their efforts with new content, is a core tenet of good gameplay design.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Speevy said:
Does anyone have any tips for the speed run in Throwback Throwdown Galaxy?

I keep alternating between losing time or getting killed. Very frustrating when you lose.

This is one of the few stars that took me a few goes. There is no trick to it, you just have to blast your way through it. I found the most annoying part was the rock monster, because it's attack patterns are more varied than the others but only one (the black boos) allows you to damage it, so if you waste a boo you have to waste time waiting for more to appear. Then there's the flaming Piranha after it :lol . If you've got more than 30 seconds when you get to the last boss you should be able to do it.

sinxtanx

Speevy said:
Does anyone have any tips for the speed run in Throwback Throwdown Galaxy?

I keep alternating between losing time or getting killed. Very frustrating when you lose.
Stay as close as you can to the bosses without being hit.
On bouldergeist, stay away, then when he has thrown about half of his stones, move in close for the kill. I was able to get to the last one with over a minute left doing this.

Shiggy

sinxtanx said:
Stay as close as you can to the bosses without being hit.
On bouldergeist, stay away, then when he has thrown about half of his stones, move in close for the kill. I was able to get to the last one with over a minute left doing this.

I hated Bouldergeist in SMG1 (especially with only one health point), but in SMG2 I already knew how to do it. Thought it was pretty great to have all of those enemies again-

Feep said:
No offense, but is English your first language?
:lol Indubitably! And none taken.

PS this reply goes to vcassano1 also.

Here’s how it is. In SMW, you had a big meaty game, with maybe about 10% extra challenge on the end.

In SMG, you have what I of course will admit is a big meaty game, this time with (at a complete guess, of course) maybe 50% extra challenge on the end.

Again, it’s not a complaint as such, because extra is extra, no matter how you look at it. Of course it’s a good thing.

My observation however – and it is only an observation - is that this is a significant change to the way the game serves players.

To make this into a personal complaint, I’d say that I am simply not a completionist; and that simple, personal fact is all that’s driving my commentary here.

Extra content and extra challenges aren’t particularly my thing. Personally I’d like a starter, a main course, a dessert and then perhaps some coffee, if I like the restaurant and if I particularly feel it’s likely to be worth it.

What I won’t try to say is that all this is taking place anywhere but in my own head. Again, it’s intelligent design, it broadens the game’s appeal, it provides longevity, and evidently it works just fine for you.

For me however … It was just a Tuesday. Or something.

Desiato

B-B-Bomba! said:
:lol Indubitably! And none taken.

PS this reply goes to vcassano1 also.

Here’s how it is. In SMW, you had a big meaty game, with maybe about 10% extra challenge on the end.

In SMG, you have what I of course will admit is a big meaty game, this time with (at a complete guess, of course) maybe 50% extra challenge on the end.

Again, it’s not a complaint as such, because extra is extra, no matter how you look at it. Of course it’s a good thing.

My observation however – and it is only an observation - is that this is a significant change to the way the game serves players.

To make this into a personal complaint, I’d say that I am simply not a completionist; and that simple, personal fact is all that’s driving my commentary here.

Extra content and extra challenges aren’t particularly my thing. Personally I’d like a starter, a main course, a dessert and then perhaps some coffee, if I like the restaurant and if I particularly feel it’s likely to be worth it.

What I won’t try to say is that all this is taking place anywhere but in my own head. Again, it’s intelligent design, it broadens the game’s appeal, it provides longevity, and evidently it works just fine for you.

For me however … It was just a Tuesday. Or something.
So basically you wanted the end credits to roll after you got the 120th star?

Zing

Banned
Just because the mindset of the current generation of gamers is to rush through the game, completing it at the minimal number of stars so they can move on to the next game, doesn't mean there is something wrong with the game.

To be honest, the amount of content after the first 120 stars is not even close to first 120. The number of stars is 50%, but the amount of content is not 50%. Most of those last 50% take a couple minutes to complete.

Desiato said:
So basically you wanted the end credits to roll after you got the 120th star?
Pretty much, yeah. Stupid isn't it? And purely psychological.

At best I could say that Nintendo have drawn a false distinction at the point where you beat Bowser (in that it doesn't have much relation to the 'end' of the game) and that it's simply that false distinction which puts something funny in my mind.

Clearly I'm rather alone in this, that's all I really wanted an answer to.

jarosh

B-B-Bomba! said:
Pretty much, yeah. Stupid isn't it? And purely psychological.

At best I could say that Nintendo have drawn a false distinction at the point where you beat Bowser (in that it doesn't have much relation to the 'end' of the game) and that it's simply that false distinction which puts something funny in my mind.

Clearly I'm rather alone in this, that's all I really wanted an answer to.
you're not. i'm with you on this one. i understand where you're coming from. although it doesn't bother me much in games that i enjoy a lot. and this would be one of them.

but most of the time i can't be bothered to check out any "additional content". i usually only bother when it's one of my favorite franchises or when i have a soft spot for a particular game. at least nintendo doesn't present the content in a fashion that would make you think "fluff, added content, not part of the main game"; it's also not "unlockable content" that you only get access to once you finish the game. they simply chose to move the requirements for being able to finish the game. it's a good thing they're giving you a choice at least and don't dump all the additional stars (we're talking about anything beyond 70 here) into a lame new game+ kinda thing. i usually make it a point to finish everything else first whenever i do get this choice, before i attempt the last level/boss. i know i probably won't go back otherwise. but in galaxy 2's case all the content beyond 70 stars is so clearly part of the actual, main game, that i didn't mind going back after 70 stars (i think i had 90 when i saw the credits for the first time actually). it really helps too, that getting all the stars and coins unlocks a real, tangible gameplay reward: an additional world with additional galaxys (just like nsmbw did).

so really, it's almost a non-issue in galaxy 2's case. but i get where you're coming from; many other games are guilty of this. and they don't offer additional rewards (that REALLY matter) for 100% completion, their additional content feels tacked on, the side quests or any content not necessary to complete the game is a bore, repetitive, frustrating, not challenging enough, doesn't relate to the main game etc. galaxy 2 does have filler, but the majority of the first 120 stars really felt like "the game" to me, so i always felt compelled to get them all.

jarosh said:
it really helps too, that getting all the stars and coins unlocks a real, tangible gameplay reward: an additional world with additional galaxys (just like nsmbw did).
This in particular sounds like an excellent way to progress the game.

I can't justify buying it at full price when I still have half of MG1 left to play with. But some day I'm going to have a hell of a time with it :)

jgwhiteus

Are they kidding with this starbits requirement to
unlock the Perfect Run?
First time I've ever had to grind / gold-farm in a Mario game...

Sagitario

jgwhiteus said:
Are they kidding with this starbits requirement to
unlock the Perfect Run?
First time I've ever had to grind / gold-farm in a Mario game...

No, they aren't...

Just do "A Stroll Down Rolling Lane" in Melty Monster Galaxy. Die before the end/star and you should get the starbits in no time...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Observation: after taking my sweet time with Galaxy 2 I've come to the conclusion I like its progression best of every Mario game, /and/ Yoshi's Island. (And it takes a lot for me to place something above the Yoshi scoring system for its stages.)

The way this game is laid out reminds me of a combination of several other games' concepts:

1. Mario 3's discreet world map screens.

2. Mario World's layered and interlocking secrets.

3. Yoshi's Island's more linear map progression tempered by going back to stages to increase your completion / exploration.

After the huge response to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, many thought that the oldschool worldmap was a quick fix to make it look like NSMBWii at a glance for "the masses". Now though I don't think this is really the case - NSMBWii probably made them reconsider the map system, yes. But I really think they realized that the presentation of a Mario game and the pacing of how its content is unlocked to the player is key. It's not just about having a bunch of random levels floating tucked away around a hub.

What's nice is the way progression never falls into a predictable pattern. But without relying on one too many gimmicks to pad out the overworld presentation. The worst part about NSMBWii was the unnecessary "encounters" that echoed the SMB3 Hammer Bros. without really serving the same function. Those just padded out the map to make it seem as if more was happening (and more was interesting) than there actually was. Galaxy 2 by contrast is very lean - and it helps that the game streams like gangbusters, with basically zero visible loading times even when zooming into the starship microhub. Of course, it helps that there are more overall galaxies in Galaxy 2, populating the world maps with just plain more content.

Speaking of which, major props go to the starship itself, a "microhub" being an interesting and basically non-intrusive solution to giving the player a sense of home base and something to play around with should they wish. The fact that the game doesn't default back to the overview map after exiting a galaxy is a toss-up. It doesn't really take more than a jump forward to get back out to the main map, but it would have been perfect if they'd given you the option to default to one mode or the other upon STAR GET.

The only remaining presentational flaws in Galaxy 2 the initial infernal chattiness of uh, Space Grimace as he insists on getting in your face about every little thing. Nintendo's attempts to childproof, idiotproof, and Brain Age-crowd-proof their games doesn't do Galaxy 2 any favors. Ironic since the Galaxy games are some of Nintendo's most "hardcore" titles at their elite levels of play and in their full depth and breadth.

Despite this small blemish though, Galaxy 2 has become the most inviting Mario game for me to play and a further lesson from one of the very few developers to fully understand the importance of presentation and treating the user like a "king". The smallest detail matters, right down to the fact that Starship Mario doesn't just slide from point to point on the map, but turns and chugs leaving a plume of steam behind it.

Wizpig

120 Stars.

I
can't seem to find the first green star in the first world... at all.

I'm a little confused. You picked an arbitrary time to finish and are frustrated at that?

Well, it's not like you can finish the game with 120 stars THE FIRST TIME you go after the final boss, isn't it?
Lots of people don't like that very much, myself included I guess.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wizpig said:
I
can't seem to find the first green star in the first world... at all.

Located near the top of the first building
--wall jump to get it. Don't feel bad--I missed it too. Just listen for the sparkly sounds--that tells you there's a star nearby.

I'm finding it very tough to get the secret star in clockwork ruins. I've heard to look for a hungry luma for coins.

Man I really hate that galaxy

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Mcj Metroid said:
I'm finding it very tough to get the secret star in clockwork ruins. I've heard to look for a hungry luma for coins.

Man I really hate that galaxy

i think the luma is on the ground below the last turning cog at the first part of the level.

funkmastergeneral said:
Any star involving the gliding bird is horrific. Looking like I won't be completing every star this time, those levels are infuriating. Fuck. Waggle.
...those are the easiest stars in the game.

Wizpig

funkmastergeneral said:
Any star involving the gliding bird is horrific. Looking like I won't be completing every star this time, those levels are infuriating. Fuck. Waggle.
:lol

:lol

Thanks Plinko.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Boney said:
What's with the new thread title?

simpsons reference

250px-Malibu_Stacy.JPG

MYE

funkmastergeneral said:

Those are so easy :lol :lol

Poyunch

funkmastergeneral said:
The control input is the exact way the ball levels were. Heck they're easier than the ball levels.

edit: I know this is a pretty obvious thing but I still find it funny that when you race with others or try to help others if you fail to help them you lose a life. It's pretty grim and fucked up. :lol

Leezard

funkmastergeneral said:
I was so scared of them in the beginning. When I revisited them after getting 110 stars I found them piss easy. The "hardest" thing in them would be getting the comet coin in the second galaxy, and I got even that on my third try. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Glass Soldier said:
Can someone explain the new thread-title to me?
MYE said:
I still dont get it. Rehash joke?

should be called:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| "Not 3D enough. So cartoony its insipid"

the idea is that plebe consumers can be tricked into paying more money for something if it has purely superficial changes that have no real bearing on the use of the product or its quality. something that actually doesn't apply at all to SMG2.

but, simpsons reference, so, funny!

PounchEnvy said:
The control input is the exact way the ball levels were. Heck they're easier than the ball levels.

edit: I know this is a pretty obvious thing but I still find it funny that when you race with others or try to help others if you fail to help them you lose a life. It's pretty grim and fucked up. :lol

Wait...I'm not supposed to hold the remote like a NES controller for those levels?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
funkmastergeneral said:
Wait...I'm not supposed to hold the remote like a NES controller for those levels?
Now I want to play those stages like this to know how you felt.

beelzebozo said:
the idea is that plebe consumers can be tricked into paying more money for something if it has purely superficial changes that have no real bearing on the use of the product or its quality. something that actually doesn't apply at all to SMG2.

but, simpsons reference, so, funny!

Oh. I actually thought this was some kind of extra like the no-hat mode in NSMBWii.
...heh.

funkmastergeneral said:

Waggle. Shit. :lol

I thought I was supposed to stand on my Wii Ball™ and actually roam about the house like a circus performer. Now you're telling me this thing isn't even officially licensed?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I thought I was supposed to stand on my Wii Ball™ and actually roam about the house like a circus performer. Now you're telling me this thing isn't even officially licensed?
Nope. Not only that, but you have invalidated your Wii's Warranty by using it :eek:

Nintendo.jpg

Top Bottom