• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Wizpig

Sigh... I'm not going to laugh.

Ok, so, little off topic, but how many stars did Galaxy 1 have?
Try to follow :D :
After 120 stars with Mario (basically the "end of the game", just like Mario 64 and Sunshine)
you couldn't just get the 121st star right away, correct?

You had to
get 120 stars with Luigi, and then you could get star 121 for both Luigi and Mario, for a total of 242 stars instead of 240.
Is this about it? or am I wrong?

... and apparently Galaxy 2
works in a similar way, you can't get "star 121" right away... or better said the 121st star is just a random green star, which is indeed a new star but... in an old level.

Just to be clear, I don't have 100% completion in Galaxy 1, but I do have 120 stars.
And I'm probably going to do the same in Galaxy 2.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have completed the game today (and started Mario Galaxy 1 right away) on a no-death-run (using the rest button, I didn't get through everything first try ^^). As many seem to have problems with the final star, here is a bit of advice how to get it:
1st section: Wait right at the beginning until the flying enemies start going down, then go though this part fast.
2nd section: Go up to the middle of the section, then right, then down, then left, jump over the first pltaform, go further to the left untill you are at the lower left corner. then go up, collect the remaining platform on the lower left "circle", jump to the upper left from there, collect the upper left circle, jump to the upper right and collect the last few platforms.

3rd section: Just try to hold on to two clouds at the end.
4th section: Run over the vanishing platforms, make a long jumo to the leftmost platform, carefully jump over the three waves and go to the platform to the upper right of your current platform while doing so. Jumping over the next three waves, go to the upper left platform (right next to the platform you are on), after that, make a long jump over to the platform behind the enemy. Remember that the enemies don't do you any harm anymore, as soon as you are behind them. Then wait for the second enemy to fire off the third wave. Make a long jump over it and then quickly make another long jump to get behind the enemy. Using your two clouds, go to the end of the section.
5th section: Go to the first ray and position Mario on the right side of the platform. When the ray approaches the right side, start going, jump over the ray when it is near you and quickly jump a second time to pass this ray. Longjump over the small platform with the second ray on it. The third and fourth ray seem to be difficult, but you can simply long jump to the left of them and pull yourself to the blue star floating in space. This way you easily dodge the most dangerous rays in this section. The rest of the section should be easy.
6th section: Just carefully kill all the Hammer Bros, timing your jumps according to their hammer throws (best is to jump to the next platform, when the second hammer is on its way). When trying to kill the Boomerang Bros remember you can crouch under the boomerangs using Z!

seat

Crappy thread title change. I clicked thinking there was a new time-sensitive or DLC cap for Mario to wear.

Loki

Count of Concision
Kaijima said:
Observation: after taking my sweet time with Galaxy 2 I've come to the conclusion I like its progression best of every Mario game, /and/ Yoshi's Island. (And it takes a lot for me to place something above the Yoshi scoring system for its stages.)

The way this game is laid out reminds me of a combination of several other games' concepts:

1. Mario 3's discreet world map screens.

2. Mario World's layered and interlocking secrets.

3. Yoshi's Island's more linear map progression tempered by going back to stages to increase your completion / exploration.

After the huge response to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, many thought that the oldschool worldmap was a quick fix to make it look like NSMBWii at a glance for "the masses". Now though I don't think this is really the case - NSMBWii probably made them reconsider the map system, yes. But I really think they realized that the presentation of a Mario game and the pacing of how its content is unlocked to the player is key. It's not just about having a bunch of random levels floating tucked away around a hub.

What's nice is the way progression never falls into a predictable pattern. But without relying on one too many gimmicks to pad out the overworld presentation. The worst part about NSMBWii was the unnecessary "encounters" that echoed the SMB3 Hammer Bros. without really serving the same function. Those just padded out the map to make it seem as if more was happening (and more was interesting) than there actually was. Galaxy 2 by contrast is very lean - and it helps that the game streams like gangbusters, with basically zero visible loading times even when zooming into the starship microhub. Of course, it helps that there are more overall galaxies in Galaxy 2, populating the world maps with just plain more content.

Speaking of which, major props go to the starship itself, a "microhub" being an interesting and basically non-intrusive solution to giving the player a sense of home base and something to play around with should they wish. The fact that the game doesn't default back to the overview map after exiting a galaxy is a toss-up. It doesn't really take more than a jump forward to get back out to the main map, but it would have been perfect if they'd given you the option to default to one mode or the other upon STAR GET.

The only remaining presentational flaws in Galaxy 2 the initial infernal chattiness of uh, Space Grimace as he insists on getting in your face about every little thing. Nintendo's attempts to childproof, idiotproof, and Brain Age-crowd-proof their games doesn't do Galaxy 2 any favors. Ironic since the Galaxy games are some of Nintendo's most "hardcore" titles at their elite levels of play and in their full depth and breadth.

Despite this small blemish though, Galaxy 2 has become the most inviting Mario game for me to play and a further lesson from one of the very few developers to fully understand the importance of presentation and treating the user like a "king". The smallest detail matters, right down to the fact that Starship Mario doesn't just slide from point to point on the map, but turns and chugs leaving a plume of steam behind it.

Great thoughts. I'm about 45 stars in and loving this game for many of the reasons you stated. It's a much more focused game, both outside the galaxies and within them, in terms of level design, than SMG1 was.

I do wish that you could skip all the dialogue/cutscenes after you get a star, however. Just having the game save and bringing you back to the world map would have been PERFECT, as you alluded to. Another thing I love about the game is that exploration is rewarded, despite the paltry rewards (usually just a 1-up mushroom or something). But I love being able to say "hey, what if I go this way using this power-up or ability, being able to get there, and having something there waiting for me. There wasn't much of that in SMG1 to my recollection. Most of the levels still aren't sprawling like Mario64's were, but they do reward exploration in their own way. Many times I've been able to avoid entire sections of levels that you're "supposed" to pass through because I've found a creative way to reach the section after it by other means. No benefit, but cool that you can do it nonetheless.

Tremendous game thus far. I can't imagine that this level of polish, creativity, and gameplay keeps up for over twice as long as what I've already encountered.

PS - The game's opening sequence is one of Nintendo's best ever in terms of presentation, right up there with Zelda:LttP.

Loki said:
PS - The game's opening sequence is one of Nintendo's best ever in terms of presentation, right up there with Zelda:LttP.

What? You get a 2D segment that offers nothing clever or original (that comes later on), and the only purpose of which is to accustom you to controls you already know. All the while hurriedly setting up a really weak and pointless story (even moreso than SMG1) simply so it has a reason to get you into the game proper as quickly as possible.

One of the good things about Mario Galaxy 2 is that it starts off a lot faster than SMG1. But that means that the opening sequence is nothing special. To say that it's one of Nintendo's best is just a slap in the face to all of their other games.

WillyFive

Ben2749 said:
What? You get a 2D segment that offers nothing clever or original (that comes later on), and the only purpose of which is to accustom you to controls you already know. All the while hurriedly setting up a really weak and pointless story (even moreso than SMG1) simply so it has a reason to get you into the game proper as quickly as possible.

One of the good things about Mario Galaxy 2 is that it starts off a lot faster than SMG1. But that means that the opening sequence is nothing special. To say that it's one of Nintendo's best is just a slap in the face to all of their other games.

I wish more games, especially outside of the Wii, used openings like that.

Ben2749 said:

Wrong!

Mario Galaxy 2 is not about story. Why should Mario Galaxy 2's opening be about story? The game is about gameplay, and the intro introduces the gameplay brilliantly.

jgwhiteus

Finally got
star 242.
Pretty brutal, but not horrible - for me, the most horrible star in the game was
the green star in Freezeburn you could only get by keeping your clouds from the beginning of the level, meaning you couldn't touch the mid-level checkpoint in case you died, and you couldn't get hit or overuse the spinjump in going through the section with the rotating platforms in the lava.
In any case, very satisfying to finish. I couldn't believe the number of times I'd died.

Yoshi said:
spoiler advice
I found this all helpful. Two other things:
1 - having three clouds before attempting the flip-switch part makes it even more manageable. When you get the last cloud flower, you can quickly jump down to one of the platforms you created to get up to it, then jump to the side into the launch star without needing to create any new platforms.

2 - on the pull-star / ray section, you can skip all the other rays after the first one. Just do a long jump off the end of the platform into space, and you'll be able to reach the first pull-star.

Tomorrow, GAF, I start my journey!

Picking up a Wii and the first Galaxy... Galaxy 2 will have to wait because I've waited far too long to play the first. :D

So I finished Galaxy 1 earlier today with around 80 stars and immediately started 2 and wow. I only have 8 stars and so far the levels are brilliant. Right-side Up really fun, Flip-Swap was sweet as well. I might go back to 1 and try to get a few more stars but I'd rather not do all those stupid daredevil runs and the purple coins sound tedious as a mofo. It was still a lot of fun but I already cleared all the levels I liked which were the ones with nice platforming i.e Toy Time Galaxy, Dreadnought etc.

btw what do the comet coins do? I was under the assumption that once I got one a comet would begin to orbit the level I was in but so far no dice.

Boney

Banned
disappeared said:
Tomorrow, GAF, I start my journey!

Picking up a Wii and the first Galaxy... Galaxy 2 will have to wait because I've waited far too long to play the first. :D
Get Sin & Punishment 2 !!
please?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
They unlock comets, but sometimes you have to progress a bit further to have them appear. Also, yo have to have a certain amount of stars for them to begin to appear (around 30 iirc).

jarosh

toasty_T said:
btw what do the comet coins do? I was under the assumption that once I got one a comet would begin to orbit the level I was in but so far no dice.
they are not related to the galaxy they appear in. every galaxy just has a trigger for a set number of comet coins that need to be collected before a comet will appear over it. it doesn't matter if you have a galaxy's specific coin.

Mael

funkmastergeneral said:
Wait...I'm not supposed to hold the remote like a NES controller for those levels?
o_O?
I thought that there was a mandatory tutorial with wiimote positions screens and all for that stuff?
How could you even TRY the star if you didn't follow the controller?

Boney said:
Get Sin & Punishment 2 !!
please?

We should have a support group for when the NPD numbers come out.

On Topic:

The new topic title is epic lame. I was expecting something mind-blowing like cloud-bush.

robor

Gotta say I was quite disappointed with this sequel, I felt the bulk of the levels weren't as good as the original but I LOVED Flip-Out Galaxy. Holy hell I wish the entire game shared that level of difficulty.

Some things that pissed me off to no end:

Some of Mario's animations kept killing me. Like when you wall jump to reach the top the animation has this spasm (like it can't decide whether to grab on or bounce Mario back etc) leaving Mario falling to his death.

Purple coins. I just felt it was a cheap way to add "depth" to the game. Oh and all those shitty mini games with that fucking chimp.

Sorry for all the pessimism here but I dunno, I was expecting more. There were some cool Galaxies but damn Flip-Out was just incredible. Such an awesome level.

WillyFive

Flip-Out was alright, but not exactly worth talking about compared to the rest of the game.

And I don't understand what you mean by the spasm. How does it happen, any examples?

zigg

Willy105 said:
Flip-Out was alright, but not exactly worth talking about compared to the rest of the game.

This sentence right here is basically what tag quoting was invented for.

robor

Willy105 said:

And I don't understand what you mean by the spasm. How does it happen, any examples?

Well for example, in Flip-Out near the end - where it's a wall jump-a-thon - you get to one of the top ledges and it's like he tried to grab onto the ledge, then doesn't and for some reason you can't wall slide after it happens............yea. Hard to explain.

WillyFive

zigg said:
This sentence right here is basically what tag quoting was invented for.

Chill out, dude. That's a matter of opinion, not intelligence.

Something stupid would be saying the game sucks because you can't see Yoshi in the title screen the first time they orbit around the planet.

robor said:
Well for example, in Flip-Out near the end - where it's a wall jump-a-thon - you get to one of the top ledges and it's like he tried to grab onto the ledge, then doesn't and for some reason you can't wall slide after it happens............yea. Hard to explain.

Oh, getting into the precise angle that you almost reach it enough for Mario to do his recover move, but not close enough for the recover move to work.

That's just bad luck.

Haunted

I thought the new hat was a reference to a secret I might've missed or something.

Bummer.

In other news, I'm conflicted whether to put this game on #1 or #2 of my preliminary GOTY 2010 list.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey guys, without giving me the exact number could you tell me if the game has

a) 3-5 worlds
b) 5-7 worlds
c) 7+ worlds

thanks in advance :)

I'm at world 3 and I just want to know how much I got left, roughly ( dont want it to end! :3 )

Haunted

Corky said:
Hey guys, without giving me the exact number could you tell me if the game has

a) 3-5 worlds
b) 5-7 worlds
c) 7+ worlds

thanks in advance :)

I'm at world 3 and I just want to know how much I got left, roughly ( dont want it to end! :3 )
d) all of the above

Just keep going, there's plenty of content.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
robor said:

Yeah this did happen to me several times. I got right to the top and then instead of grabbing the ledge or sliding down the wall Mario just falls. It was irritating.

Dr.Hadji

robor said:
Gotta say I was quite disappointed with this sequel, I felt the bulk of the levels weren't as good as the original but I LOVED Flip-Out Galaxy. Holy hell I wish the entire game shared that level of difficulty.

Oh, we're going to have a level vs. level showdown acomin. Oh, and monkey skating rocks.

Wizpig

Yeah so
stars.
This little extra is not "Nintendo" at all (more like a Banjo-Kazooie collectathon amrite?), but it's not bad either :D

Speevy

Banned
Wizpig said:
Yeah so
stars.
This little extra is not "Nintendo" at all (more like a Banjo-Kazooie collectathon amrite?), but it's not bad either :D

It's not so much bad as it is tedious. I mean, if I've played through a level 4 or 5 times, why do I want to revisit it?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Speevy said:
It's not so much bad as it is tedious. I mean, if I've played through a level 4 or 5 times, why do I want to revisit it?
it would have been a cool thing to come back to six months to a year from now.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i don't know what to say to that besides that i disagree completely. the green stars often forced me to see the levels in completely different ways than i had prior, and challenged me to do things and go places in those levels that i didn't think possible. that wasn't always the case, but at their best, they're fantastic, and revisiting levels wasn't an issue (especially considering the quality of the levels you're revisiting)

Speevy

Banned
Willy105 said:
Because there's more to the level than you'd realize?

Nah, there's just a green star hanging in some out-of-reach location.

It's not that I don't appreciate the longevity-increasing novelty of such a thing, and I do prefer it over doing the same challenges with Luigi, but it doesn't exactly change what you've already done.

wrowa

Wizpig said:
Yeah, it's definitely a filler, unlike the Mario Galaxy 1 extra (a free pass for a cool second playthrough)
You can replay Galaxy 2 with Luigi too if you want, there's nothing that prevents you from doing that.

Can't understand how SMG2's extra can be called "filler" when it's in contrast to SMG1's extra actually new content and when SMG1's extra is available in the sequel too, anyway.

WillyFive

Speevy said:

It's not that I don't appreciate the longevity-increasing novelty of such a thing, and I do prefer it over doing the same challenges with Luigi, but it doesn't exactly change what you've already done.

Of course not. You are doing a whole new thing in a level that you'd originally think was for someplace else.

For example, in some levels you go out into hidden places you never would have gone otherwise in the normal game.

Wizpig

wrowa said:
You can replay Galaxy 2 with Luigi too if you want, there's nothing that prevents you from doing that.

Can't understand how SMG2's extra can be called "filler" when it's in contrast to SMG1's extra actually new content and when SMG1's extra is available in the sequel too, anyway.
Can you?
I mean, in a new save?
Where you can actually get 120 gold stars instead of "phantom" stars you already got once with Mario?

Because otherwise, it's not really a "new" playthrough.

Also, calling the green stars "new content" is true, I guess, but it's still a fillerish way of adding new content, come on.
It's not like anyone can say that the green stars are of a similar quality to the first, true, 120 stars.

Indeed, from the little I played, it seems that the green stars force you to play with a platform mentality... and this is a good thing.
Also, I don't find them "boring" for now, so I'll keep playing.

HeySeuss

Speevy said:

Yeah I said basically the same thing a few pages back. I compared the green stars to Wind Wakers Triforce shards quest. It doesn't really add anything to the game imo.

Some of them really do give you a sense of accomplishment but the vast majority are easy to find and get and some are artificially hard because it requires you to do a death plunge that forces the camera in a fixed position.

I love the game don't get me wrong but if the final 120 stars were like the very last two that would be my wish.

Top Bottom