• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

I'm doing the green stars now, at about 180, and they're mostly alright, but I have to echo what Darunia said. The "green star" alert and forcing you to watch the intro to the level that shows you what most of the time is absolutely nothing pertaining to the green star is just pointless and kind of aggravating (although that might be the heat getting to me.)

Also, Starshine Beach Galaxy motherfucking sucks.

Bentendo

Just finished reading the third edition of Iwata Asks on the United States' Wii site. Good stuff... REALLY good stuff. Alas, my theory and hope that they were awaiting to post the third edition alongside the SMG2 soundtrack on Club Nintendo went unfulfilled.

daemonic

Banned
So I finished the original Mario Galaxy with 120 stars just shortly after it was released. Haven't had the time to play it since but thought it deserved all the praise and critical acclaim it has received. Picked up SMG2 today, gave it a go, and am now at World 2. So far so good, but it really doesn't seem all that different to me. Been avoiding spoilers for the most part, so hoping it really picks up soon.

Wizpig

lordoftherink said:
Also, Starshine Beach Galaxy motherfucking sucks.
Top Tier level.
demonix69 said:
So I finished the original Mario Galaxy with 120 stars just shortly after it was released. Haven't had the time to play it since but thought it deserved all the praise and critical acclaim it has received. Picked up SMG2 today, gave it a go, and am now at World 2. So far so good, but it really doesn't seem all that different to me. Been avoiding spoilers for the most part, so hoping it really picks up soon.
Don't make me go for a "it's a sequel, of course it's NOT that different!" reply :'(

But anyway, World 4.
You'll see.
World 4 is fucking amazing... the game just gets better and better.

Wizpig

Can anyone find the music from when you are against time (ie. the second star of some Bowser levels)?
It's one of the best musics in the game but i can't find it on YT.

rhino4evr

I'm at 240..I came close to getting 241 and then died at the last minute. I read what 242 is and uhh i don't think m going to bother with that..is there an reward for getting all 242?

Great game but I've definitely had my fill.

Luigi87

Plumbob said:
So I have both SMG and SMG2 now. I'm around my 83rd star in SMG. Should I get all 120 stars in that before playing SMG2?

Absolutely you should.
No point in not playing it to completion.

Christine

rhino4evr said:
I'm at 240..I came close to getting 241 and then died at the last minute. I read what 242 is and uhh i don't think m going to bother with that..is there an reward for getting all 242?

Great game but I've definitely had my fill.

The reward is not being known as a big wussy wimp.

Davey Cakes

If you get all 242 you get a special platinum crown on your file and the game calls you a Master of Galaxies.

That's good enough for me. Why can't pure completion itself be satisfying, eh?

I have 53 stars in Galaxy 2 and I think I'm done. I loved the first game, but Galaxy 2 isn't pulling me in. Some of the levels are hard to the point where they're frustrating. The rolling ball level where you have a 2 minute time limit...that one where you slide down the pipes...I don't know, the game is just as creative and possibly even more varied than the first, but it's a lot harder and it's frustrating me for that reason. I don't want my Mario games to be this hard. I know some of you will call me a baby or whatever, but this type of game isn't fun to me when it's this difficult. And that's what Mario games are about. Fun.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i don't think you're a baby or anything. if you're not enjoying yourself, you're just not. i'm far worse at far easier games.

i am a bit surprised you're getting that frustrated that early in the game though.

udivision

ToyMachine228 said:
I have 53 stars in Galaxy 2 and I think I'm done. I loved the first game, but Galaxy 2 isn't pulling me in. Some of the levels are hard to the point where they're frustrating. The rolling ball level where you have a 2 minute time limit...that one where you slide down the pipes...I don't know, the game is just as creative and possibly even more varied than the first, but it's a lot harder and it's frustrating me for that reason. I don't want my Mario games to be this hard. I know some of you will call me a baby or whatever, but this type of game isn't fun to me when it's this difficult. And that's what Mario games are about. Fun.

Just keep playing. It's amazing when you write something off as hard, come back to it a few days later and ace it. Or just keep working at it.

I decided to quit MH3 at least 4 separate times because it was "too hard". Haven't followed through so far ;)

theluma

If one were to play through the second half of the game entirely as Luigi, you would end up with a staff ghost for every stage, correct?

$200

Banned
Anyone else tried to jump onto Bowser's chair :lol ?

You'd fall, then get taken back by the bubble thing from SMG1.

beelzebozo said:
i am a bit surprised you're getting that frustrated that early in the game though.

So am I. Rarely do I ever play a game that I say, "This is too hard." I don't know if I ever have. I loved the original Super Mario Galaxy. I don't know what the issue is.

boiled goose

good with gravy
ToyMachine228 said:
So am I. Rarely do I ever play a game that I say, "This is too hard." I don't know if I ever have. I loved the original Super Mario Galaxy. I don't know what the issue is.

u just suck badly.:lol

really the game should not be that hard if you are experienced with 3D marios.

Davey Cakes

Nintendo can try all they want in making a balanced, paced experience for all players, but there will always be those who are either too skilled or unskilled at the game to appreciate it. Take for example anyone you come across who complains that the game's too easy or mentions that they could only hit a certain star amount before being unable to progress further. That's just the way things are.

I, personally, thought Galaxy 2 was right on. It took the "easy first half, hard second half" concept of the first game and tweaked it further towards perfection. Basically, the beginning is just as easy, but the middle is a bit harder and the end is for true experts. I can't say I don't appreciate that sort of design.

Hm, for me, I felt that the first game nailed the difficulty, but that 2 was far too easy. I know that this is obviously not how everyone feels, but I already learned skills and tricks from the first Galaxy; there was no need for a learning curve because I already experienced the one in the first game. As a result, I found the game, especially the first two worlds, with a couple exceptions, pretty boring.

jarosh

i've been kinda hard on galaxy 2 but i'm actually somehwat surprised that i'm enjoying the second part of the game
(green stars)
more than the first one. yes, there are some real bullshit stars, but the majority of them are all about platforming and discovering new (hidden), interesting spots. it's exactly what i want from a mario game. no-nonsense platforming, jumping, leaping, hopping, discovering and exploring hard to reach places, finding hidden spots etc. no stupid mini games, no elaborate "missions", no "killing 100 enemies", no "bowling" etc. so fun, so pure.

neoism

:( Shame I stopped playing this... did the same with G1. Only got 66 stars... Think I'll play some later, just wish I didn't loose interest so fast.

Dr.Hadji

lordoftherink said:
Hm, for me, I felt that the first game nailed the difficulty, but that 2 was far too easy. I know that this is obviously not how everyone feels, but I already learned skills and tricks from the first Galaxy; there was no need for a learning curve because I already experienced the one in the first game. As a result, I found the game, especially the first two worlds, with a couple exceptions, pretty boring.

So you find the first two worlds of the 2d Marios boring ever since SMB?

Dr.Hadji said:
So you find the first two worlds of the 2d Marios boring ever since SMB?
...did I say anything of the sort in my post? I said the first two worlds in SMG2 were not all that exciting. I thought this due to their lack of new gameplay elements (aside from Fluffy Bluff, Flipswap, and Boulder Bowl) and their lack of difficulty. I don't know how you could say that SMG2 is somehow the same as "the 2d Marios" in this way.

Dr.Hadji

lordoftherink said:
...did I say anything of the sort in my post? I said the first two worlds in SMG2 were not all that exciting. I thought this due to their lack of new gameplay elements (aside from Fluffy Bluff, Flipswap, and Boulder Bowl) and their lack of difficulty. I don't know how you could say that SMG2 is somehow the same as "the 2d Marios" in this way.

You spoke of not needing to go through the learning curve again which is pretty much something you have to do in most every sequel ever. Thats what I was referring to. As for not enough new gameplay elements in the first few worlds as compared to 2d Marios. I'd say SMG2 easily has more in its first few worlds than any other Mario sequel.

Dr.Hadji said:
As for not enough new gameplay elements in the first few worlds as compared to 2d Marios. I'd say SMG2 easily has more in its first few worlds than any other Mario sequel.
While I wouldn't go that far...

You spoke of not needing to go through the learning curve again which is pretty much something you have to do in most every sequel ever. Thats what I was referring to.
You do have a point. I guess part of the reason I was underwhelmed was due to the lack of a gap between playing the original and the sequel, as well as believing the proclamations of SMG2 as the game of the forever. It's not that this isn't a good game, it just didn't live up to my ridiculous expectations.

L00P

Okay, that
galaxy with the bosses from SMG1
was totally unexpected. Holy shit!:lol

Less than 20 stars to go to get 120.

evilromero said:
You think so? I love that level. It's like going on a vacation. Any particular reason you don't enjoy it?
The first time through I didn't really have anything against it. I was only saying that after going for the green stars. The second one I had an unpleasant time getting, and it was also probably the heat talking :lol

Speevy saying FLUDD would've improved that place I definitely agree with, though.

Netto-kun

Yeeees, found this in my mail box!:D :D :D

SSL22218.jpg

This picture might be a spoiler? I haven't gotten 242 stars yet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/hansuramu/SSL22220.jpg

Turrican3

Wizpig said:
Also, calling the green stars "new content" is true, I guess, but it's still a fillerish way of adding new content, come on.
It's not like anyone can say that the green stars are of a similar quality to the first, true, 120 stars.
IMHO it's far less "fillerish" than having basically a
second playthrough with just 2 extra stars controlling the -arguably- worse Luigi
character.

You see, right now I'm in the process of trying to 100% Galaxy1 (just did it with Galaxy2) which is also a nice way to revisit it, rediscovering its many small and not-so-small design details which I had forgotten 2.5 years after the initial 50% completion, but to be honest I'm almost hating it mostly due to
Luigi's
handling. :-(

On the other hand, as many have already said, in Galaxy2 you basically have to master your platforming ability to get most of the
green stars
which for me, as of now, has been a far better incentive (compared to Galaxy1, that is) to go for 100%.

Naruto

Turrican3 said:
IMHO it's far less "fillerish" than having basically a
second playthrough with just 2 extra stars controlling the -arguably- worse Luigi
character.

On the other hand, as many have already said, in Galaxy2 you basically have to master your platforming ability to get most of the
green stars
which for me, as of now, has been a far better incentive (compared to Galaxy1, that is) to go for 100%.

WHAT>?!?! You get 2 extra stars in Galaxy 1 when playing with Luigi, Meaning there are 122 Stars?

Davey Cakes

Naruto said:
WHAT>?!?! You get 2 extra stars in Galaxy 1 when playing with Luigi, Meaning there are 122 Stars?
121 with each character, actually. You don't open up the last star (for both Mario and Luigi) until you finish the Luigi run, however.

Poyunch

Just played Slimy Spring Galaxy. Oh my gosh it's one of the best looking galaxies. It's probably been said but still. O_O

The beginning of the level felt like the entrance to a Zelda dungeon (except much better looking) and the music and some of the level felt like a Pikmin game. And the ending area was beautiful and it would have been perfect for the ending of a Zelda dungeon.

I'm definitely going to be let down when I play Skyward Sword because as of now it has nothing going for it compared to Slimy Spring Galaxy.

Loki

Count of Concision
Can I beat this game with, say, 75-80 stars and then go back and get the remaining stars a la SMG1 or do you lose your saved game? I know that you most likely can based on others' comments about content I've yet to unlock; I'm just wondering if, after beating the game, you can only go for these "new" stars/coins/whatever or if you can also still try for original stars. Thanks.

Talwind

Does Yoshi adopt Luigi's mechanics when Luigi rides him? I only got to try the Luigi-Yoshi combo once so far and was just wondering. I think I noticed a traction difference.

Loki

Count of Concision
Milabrega said:
My spot for Starbit farming:

Sweet Mystery Galaxy, first check point. There are two stars out off the side, some bits on the road and a 1up mushroom. Grab the bits, then the 1up die rinse and repeat. Should take 10 minutes maybe less. With the 1ups for each 100 starbit you end up with a net gain in lives.

That's my spot too. You can get 999 starbits in about 10-15 minutes.

one_kill

lordoftherink said:
Is it the one that seems too high in the air?
IIRC
flip to the bottom, then jump off and fall upside down to the star
Yeah I know, but I could never land the star. I tried for 40 minutes a few hours ago. I guess what I really want to know is if there is a sweet spot I could jump from so I could finally land on it. Thanks anyway :D

Top Bottom