• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Davey Cakes

one_kill said:
Yeah I know, but I could never land the star. I tried for 40 minutes a few hours ago. I guess what I really want to know is if there is a sweet spot I could jump from so I could finally land on it. Thanks anyway :D
Basically, you want to angle things so that you fall right off the exact corner of the fence. The hardest part is running with perfect diagonal direction towards the corner when you're on the underside, but a little practice goes a long way.

Davey Cakes

Naruto said:
What? How do I get the last one? Do I need to beat the game with Luigi with all 120 stars?
Once you hit 120 with Luigi, it'll open up the final star, which can be completed by both Mario and Luigi (in whatever order you like) for a total of 121 stars per character, or 242 total.

Sorry for double post.

KoffiiKat

Rash said:
Once you hit 120 with Luigi, it'll open up the final star, which can be completed by both Mario and Luigi (in whatever order you like) for a total of 121 stars per character, or 242 total.

Cool. SMG2 (and this thread) actually inspired me to get 120 with Mario in SMG, as I didn't know there was an unlockable level at the end.

Also, on the last
green stars/Grandmaster Galaxy
I can come back to SMG and play the easy levels as Luigi just to get a break from the difficulty. :lol

Turrican3

Rash said:
121 with each character, actually.
(spoiler tag added by me)

Sorry, I didn't want to misinform anyone, I just stayed away from any official thread back then so I just assumed the "second run" was as I described it. Thanks for your correction. :)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, does anyone have any advice for that fucking star in Stone Cyclone? The one where supposedly you have to triple jump off of the slope? Because I cannot get it!

Davey Cakes

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, does anyone have any advice for that fucking star in Stone Cyclone? The one where supposedly you have to triple jump off of the slope? Because I cannot get it!
I just made sure to land the third jump right below the star and then do a spin. It's definitely challenging, since you have to perfectly orient yourself in 3D space with a somewhat awkward angle, but just keep trying to land the highest jump right where the star's shadow is while pushing yourself as straight up as possible.

I mean, you don't want to jump off of the slope, you merely want to use the slope to start the triple jump.

Maron

For me I remember just doing a long jump and spin. I felt kinda frustrated so I was prepared to lose a life on that one. :lol

Sagitario

Talwind said:
Does Yoshi adopt Luigi's mechanics when Luigi rides him? I only got to try the Luigi-Yoshi combo once so far and was just wondering. I think I noticed a traction difference.

Yes, he does [the traction difference you noticed = slippery Yoshi]

Totalriot

I can't express how frustrated I am right now. I have tried the comet Hightail Falls run over 70 times and never even got near the stupid star. I hate this stupid fucker Yoshi and his red peppers. This stage was bad enough without the time limit and falling meteors but once I got to the wallrun section EVERY TIME a meteor hits me. Well OK, not every time. One time I managed to maneuver Yoshi (I hate him!) onto the second platform and then what? He falls through the hole in the fence :-(

Sorry for the rant :-(

mr stroke

just finished the game today. While the level design is amazing and the platforming is perfection, something is missing that the first game had. (Maybe its because the game feels like an expansion of the first, and the freshness is gone?) Amazing all around but didn't blow me away like the first.

Jasoco

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Well, according to a YTouTube video, you don't have to use the slope. Just run the same direction the boxes move. (Time it right so they don't crush you of course.) That said, I have not tried it. I was spending all my time trying to triple-jump down the slope to no avail. Tomorrow I will try the method in the video I watched, which by the way tried the same slope method for 5 minutes before switching approaches. Some video are able to do it with the slope, one backflipped off the box somehow. That star is a pain in my ass.

I am down to the last 6.
(Before the final galaxy)

KoffiiKat

Why would you do that? said:
Oh... How can I get star #
? I have
right now and I don't know what I'm doing... or not doing...

The answer is:
Star Bits. 9999 of them in one place (i.e. either on you or kept by your banktoad - one of those at least should work).

Zing

Banned
The_Technomancer said:

I didn't use the slope. I ran in the same direction as the big box. I waited off to the side until the box went by, then ran for it, doing a triple jump and a spin. It took a few tries to get the positioning down.

Cygnus X-1

You know what it the only thing I don't like about green stars?

The fact that they are called "green star 1", "green star 2" and "green star 3". WTH.

Wizpig

Cygnus X-1 said:
You know what it the only thing I don't like about green stars?

The fact that they are called "green star 1", "green star 2" and "green star 3". WTH.
They are filler-ish, etc.
The developers probably "put" all the green stars in 2-3 development days.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got all the green stars just now. The final galaxy is ok difficulty wise until you get to the flip switch part. Haven't made it past the hammer bros yet. So you have to get through this with 1 life and no checkpoints for the final star? May god have mercy on us all.

HeySeuss

Zing said:
I didn't use the slope. I ran in the same direction as the big box. I waited off to the side until the box went by, then ran for it, doing a triple jump and a spin. It took a few tries to get the positioning down.
Yep that's how I got it. Took about 2 or 3 tries jumping from the slope to realize that wasn't the best way. I didn't even triple jump if I remember right. Double and a spin worked for me I think.

Zing

Banned
Creamium said:
Got all the green stars just now. The final galaxy is ok difficulty wise until you get to the flip switch part. Haven't made it past the hammer bros yet. So you have to get through this with 1 life and no checkpoints for the final star? May god have mercy on us all.

I "cheated" and had a P2 help. The ability to freeze the laser beam walls made the difference.

Cannot stress enough how much I'm enjoying this game over the first one.

First game was far more of a chore to play.

I like how much easier it is to get stars in this game without actually being overly easy. It's hard to explain.

I just love it. I'm just taking my time too, soaking it all in. I only have 18 stars so far, but I've spent hours on it.

Mr. B

funkmastergeneral said:
Any star involving the gliding bird is horrific. Looking like I won't be completing every star this time, those levels are infuriating. Fuck. Waggle.
Fuck those birds

and that goddamn ball too

242!!!!! Wow, I didn't that I had it in me tonight. But I finally made it through the flip switch part and made it.

Partial review: I think the first 120 stars in part 1 are slightly better than part 2. Maybe because the experience was newer in part 1. I also think they over used the timed comet stars a little too much.

However star 121 and beyond in part 2 craps all over part 1. They really tested your platforming skills and your overall knowledge of the game mechanics.

Boney

Banned
RawkHawk2010 said:
Does Fluzzard really give people this much trouble?

They're the easiest stars in the game.
The last guy (funkmastergeneral), was using the wii remote sideways. So either that, or they're they're physically challenged.

hyduK

Banned
Just got this recently, finally.

Anyway, it's awesome...at first it felt like more of the same but that feeling quickly went away. Any star that requires you to turn/tilt the Wiimote shouldn't have made it in the game though.

one_kill

The Perfect Run is a pain. I'm finally able to get through to the last stage of that star, but those damn hammer bros. always get in the way.

Bernbaum

I'm 93 stars in.

Trying to get the prankster comet star 'Silver Stars in Double Time'.

I'm gonna catch you, you stupid cunt of a star, and when I do, I'm going to choke the fucking life out of you.

Davey Cakes

one_kill said:
The Perfect Run is a pain. I'm finally able to get through to the last stage of that star, but those damn hammer bros. always get in the way.
Just take it very slow and pick off every hammer bro one by one. The boomerang bros are of course the true challenge, but beating down the hammer bros is a good warm up and it removes any sort of distraction.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Foliorum Viridum said:
118 stars. Soo close. :D

Once I hit 120, how difficult are the second set of stars in comparison?

Pretty easy, although there are a few that require you master all the advanced platform techniques in the game. There are about 5 where I had to check a yt vid to see how to get them. But you'll see.

The only major drawback is that you have to return to the same level multiple times to get every green star, which implies a LOT of repetition. For instance: the 3 stars on the battle belt galaxy are found in similar locations throughout the level, but you have to go through the level 3 more times to get them all. They really should've included an 'exit anywhere' option in the post game, so that getting multiple stars per run becomes possible. Replaying levels up to 3 times more really becomes a chore. Even more so because finding green stars mostly isn't that hard. See one, get one. Getting forced out of the level sucks, because some can be found after a minute of playing or even less.

Ah, yeah, that doesn't sound fun. :( It should've been like the 100 coin stars in 64 where it just quick saves and you can continue.

I'm really looking forward to the more challenging ones, regardless. Out of the first 120, there's been maybe... 6-8 that have really tested me, and as frustrating as that can be it's great to have that back in a Mario game.

The great thing about the game is the fact that even the easiest stars are fun to gain, though. Perfect balance. :)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Just stopping by to say..

Fuck you #242, Perfect Run...fuck you right to hell! Making it a one hit death is one thing, but taking away all the checkpoints too? Jerkoffs..

Carry on....

Jasoco

Banned
It took me a million lives to get the last few
Green Stars
in the shitty ass almost impossible Flip Out (2) and that horrible Shiverburn (3) level that you needed to carry the cloud power-up all the way. And that
second one in the
first Fluzzard level was a bitch. Whoever decided to put it there should be shot and then fired.

But I am finally there!
The fucking Grandmaster Galaxy.
God dammit. I need to get 99 lives before I even bother trying this one again. Where to go...

Edit: Whoo! NPIYF!

Poyunch

I just started the
Green Star search. I much prefer it over New Game+ in SMG.
What I love about platformers is being wowed by the level design and platforming.
I don't get the same feeling replaying the entire game with slightly altered mechanics.

It's why I never got all the stars in the original Galaxy. This on the other hand is really amusing. When playing the first level I knew things were going to be different but due to the fact that it was the first level I assumed it to basically be the same thing in order to phase in the players.

So I did all that work just to get the same first star from the beginning of the game. It was funny especially after finding where the first green star was. This way have to think out of the box rather than just go through each level in the same path except with soapy feet (even though I chose to play as Luigi for the Green Stars).

Cygnus X-1

BikoBiko said:
Just 'finished' the game with 88 stars. Mad respect to everyone who got all the stars, the game can be pretty damn brutal!

Well, I'm at 180 stars and I found it challenging in 3-4 cases, but I never spent hours on a single star. I mean: playing Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels is a complete different story.

But well, I'm not finished and anyway I recognize that I play Mario games since 20 years.

Rekubot

YES! I finally got all
stars! :D

That last level was brutal. SMG 1 & 2 are two of the few games I've completed 100%, they are absolute masterpieces in my opinion.
That picture on the Wii message board is horribly disappointing though.

By the way (final world spoiler)
the Boss Blitz Galaxy is still glowing on the map screen, as though there's one more star yet to collect. It does have the gold crown in front of it though. Does anyone else have this issue
?

Gilby

Rekubot said:
YES! I finally got all
stars! :D

That last level was brutal. SMG 1 & 2 are two of the few games I've completed 100%, they are absolute masterpieces in my opinion.
That picture on the Wii message board is horribly disappointing though.

By the way (final world spoiler)
the Boss Blitz Galaxy is still glowing on the map screen, as though there's one more star yet to collect. It does have the gold crown in front of it though. Does anyone else have this issue
?

That's just the way the icon looks for that level

Jasoco

Banned
Okay, so where is the best place to get 99 lives or so quickly? The stupid mail toad doesn't even give me a letter every time I start the game either.

Top Bottom