• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Jasoco said:
Okay, so where is the best place to get 99 lives or so quickly? The stupid mail toad doesn't even give me a letter every time I start the game either.

Supermassive galaxy, first star. Advance to the planet with giant koopas. I think you'll know what to do from here :p 99 lives in a flash

MGrant

Jasoco said:
Okay, so where is the best place to get 99 lives or so quickly? The stupid mail toad doesn't even give me a letter every time I start the game either.

If you've got a lot of coins, you can just keep rolling the "chance cubes" in the pipe that comes out of Spaceship Mario's ear. Can get up to 5 lives from one spin.

finally got the 120th star, got me four days. It was
the goddamn Stone Cyclone and Roller Coaster galaxies
and grabbed the first Green Stars. Not digging the whole scavenger's hunt style, though

Poyunch

I've noticed the Mail Toad doesn't have 1-UP mail for you if you didn't save and quit at a point where you had a high number of Mushrooms already.

Jasoco

Banned
Creamium said:
Supermassive galaxy, first star. Advance to the planet with giant koopas. I think you'll know what to do from here :p 99 lives in a flash
Oh shit. Fuck me. How did I forget? I used to recommend that one. I completely forgot about that easy one!

Zing

Banned
Spike said:
Grandmaster Galaxy is not that difficult. You don't need 99 lives. I got the final star on my third try.

If someone had to spend 99 lives on this level, they would probably end up killing themselves first.

Schlomo

Finished the game (beat Bowser, that is) yesterday with 100 stars. I'm already dreading what is still ahead of me. Stuff like the Daredevil runs always get my heart pumping like crazy.

Jokeropia

I finally beat
The Perfect Run
 at 5 AM last night and almost screamed in happiness. :lol I hope I didn't wake anyone. :D

On a related note, it amuses me how Lubba comments about how sleepy he is when you're playing this late.

Jasoco

Banned
One more star. One more star. Fucking one more star. God. Dammit. ONE MORE STAR! I didn't even get this close in Galaxy 1.

zigg

AntMurda said:
This game is absolutely amazing. The level design is unrivaled. I wonder what is next for EAD Tokyo :)

Maybe they can teach Retro how to make an awesome DK game.

And then make whatever new franchise they were apparently going to work on before Galaxy. I love Galaxy, of course, but it's time to spread wings here...

Loki

Count of Concision
Are these supposed "green stars" that open up after you get 120 stars worth pursuing or is it boring? Someone earlier mentioned that they're more exploration based than the regular stars (not sure how that's possible given the limited scope of many of the levels). Is that true? Do you get to go for them as Mario or Luigi?

I'm at 110 stars now.

WillyFive

Loki said:
Are these supposed "green stars" that open up after you get 120 stars worth pursuing or is it boring? Someone earlier mentioned that they're more exploration based than the regular stars (not sure how that's possible given the limited scope of many of the levels). Is that true? Do you get to go for them as Mario or Luigi?

I'm at 110 stars now.

They are fun. There is a lot of exploration involved, and searching for them reveals that levels that you thought were small actually had hidden areas. And once you find them, they can be challenging and tricky to get to it.

And you can go after them with whoever character you want.

Jokeropia

I got so inspired by beating
The Perfect Run
and getting all
stars that I went back to Galaxy 1 and got the 60 Luigi stars I had left in that game.
(As well as the two Grand Finale Galaxy stars.)

So now I've fully completed both games! :D

Loki

Count of Concision
Willy105 said:
They are fun. There is a lot of exploration involved, and searching for them reveals that levels that you thought were small actually had hidden areas. And once you find them, they can be challenging and tricky to get to it.

And you can go after them with whoever character you want.

Thanks. That sounds right up my alley and gives me enough motivation to continue playing after the 120 stars.

WillyFive

Loki said:
Thanks. That sounds right up my alley and gives me enough motivation to continue playing after the 120 stars.

But be warned: Other than a faint sound they emitter, you will have *no* idea where they are.

Minamu

Willy105 said:
But be warned: Other than a faint sound they emitter, you will have *no* idea where they are.
I wouldn't say that exactly. Half of them are hidden in plain sight (aka totally visible, sometimes even during the intro cutscene to each level) and once you figure out the placement patterns, a lot of them are very easy to find since you know where Nintendo are likely to hide them. Basically, you learn fairly quickly where to search.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, some green stars are in plain sight, which puts the focus on method rather than discovery. Sometimes figuring out how to reach a green star is more emphasized than figuring out where the green star is.

Of course, another warning about the green stars is that they're not all difficult to get. In fact, some are a complete breeze to the point of being boring. Others are more satisfactory, however, when they're hidden in clever areas, and the more satisfied you are with obtaining a green star, the more likely you are to want to continue on.

zigg

"Hidden" is not really a word that strikes me as one I'd use to describe more than a small portion of the things.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Finally managed 241 stars, and I don't think I'm gonna go for that final challenge (for the sake of my sanity)... honestly, I can't say I was much of a fan of this game as NSMBWii or even Galaxy 1. Don't get me wrong, I liked it... and yes, I prefer 2D platformers to 3D platformers, but here are some of my problems with the game:

-Green Star hunt - the lack of depth perception when projecting a 3D game onto a 2D screen made it hard to tell where on the XYZ axis some of the green stars were (especially the ones floating out in space). I frequently jumped to my death when I thought the star was within my grasp due to this.

-Rock Mario/Chili Pepper Yoshi - tight controls are extremely important in a Mario game, but with these powerups, I felt more like I was playing a 3D Sonic than a Mario. They seem to take away accurate controls and are extremely sensitive to control. Luckily, they weren't used

-Fluzzard - wasn't the biggest complaint from the first game the waggle stages? Well why did they bring these back?

-That damn fat purple Luma who keeps telling me I should take a break for a while, when I die.

Overall, the game looks awesome and it still has that same level of imagination in many of the level designs as the first game (even if the whole concept does at times feel like an expansion pack). Some parts (namely, the speedrun comets) are extremely challenging and require you to exploit your environment to the fullest. Also the levels are concise and don't take a while, which is nice.

Jasoco

Banned
zigg said:
"Hidden" is not really a word that strikes me as one I'd use to describe more than a small portion of the things.
Some of them can be seen, and heard in the level intro's. Only a small portion are "hidden". Many are out in the open. Some are cleverly placed. A couple will be right next to you and you won't even see them. And a few will make you think "What the fuck? How the fuck do I get that?" and resort to YouTube to figure it out. But it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Duderz

Banned
djtiesto said:
Green Star hunt - the lack of depth perception when projecting a 3D game onto a 2D screen made it hard to tell where on the XYZ axis some of the green stars were (especially the ones floating out in space). I frequently jumped to my death when I thought the star was within my grasp due to this.

This is one of my only complaints with the game. Was I the only one who was thinking the 3DS would solve this problem with the Green Stars?

Loki

Count of Concision
djtiesto said:
-That damn fat purple Luma who keeps telling me I should take a break for a while, when I die.

:lol

I hate that. I also hate how Rosalina or whatever her name is appears if you die too many times in a level. It's like a big "here, let me help you, you suck" sign. :lol I would say out loud "hit the bricks, Rosalina" when I saw her in some of the harder levels towards the end.

Three weeks after purchase.... I can finally say....

242! FUCK YOU PERFECT RUN!

Is it wrong to feel like one of the best damn players ever for 100%-ing this?

Zing

Banned
Really? The only star that gave me any serious trouble was
the final one. You know. The one you have to get by wading through a variety of obstacle courses without getting hit, and there are no flags?

Poyunch

Zing said:
Spoilers man. I mean I already knew about it but everyone else has been marking those things. Also I suck at this game and I know I'll have tons of deaths. It's why I barely had to farm star bits. :lol

Zing said:
Really? The only star that gave me any serious trouble was the final one.

That one is the most horrific. I also am reserving a special place in hell for
Rainbow Road Purple Coin Challenge
Stone Cyclone 1st Green Star
Boss Blitz Speedrun
and that bastarding
Green Star in midair in Flipsville
. They really got me.

But the last star is the most horrific.

Christine

djtiesto said:
I don't think I'm gonna go for that final challenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_pzfn0dH4#t=39s

Mama Robotnik said:
That one is the most horrific. I also am reserving a special place in hell for
Rainbow Road Purple Coin Challenge
Stone Cyclone 1st Green Star
Boss Blitz Speedrun
and that bastarding
Green Star in midair in Flipsville
. They really got me.

But the last star is the most horrific.

The only star that really gave me fits was
Tall Trunk's Purple Coin Slide
. I probably died about 40 times doing that - at any rate I had more deaths from that course than 241 and 242 put together.

The ones you mention, I actually got on my first attempt, except for
Rainbow Road
, which took 3-4 tries.

FJ0372

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I finally got to 100% completion. :D

img00283-20100724-17560c45.jpg

Die 'Grandmaster Galaxy - The Perfect Run', please just die.

Davey Cakes

jaundicejuice said:
The tilt control/ball levels are fucking terrible.
Looks like we have another one.

I can understand the opinion, but I can't agree with it. To me, those levels are absolutely fine. And, honestly it seems like those who greatly dislike them are in the minority.

L00P

Rash said:
Looks like we have another one.

I can understand the opinion, but I can't agree with it. To me, those levels are absolutely fine. And, honestly it seems like those who greatly dislike them are in the minority.

It's all good until I played the purple coin level. Effing hell what the heck did I do to deserve that?:lol

I thought the ball levels were passable the first time through. Even the purple coin challenge wasn't that bad, but I really fucking hated getting the second green star in Rolling Coaster Galaxy. I think the best ball level is the lava themed one from the first Galaxy.

I have 241 stars now, I'll get that final star...sometime...hopefully. I really hate the lack of checkpoints, because as the first three segments are so easy, all it does is lengthen each attempt, just one separating the first three segments from the final three would be nice. Oh well, I'll give it another try soon.

Damn, I don't think I ever felt this disoriented playing SMG. I'm having a lot of trouble judging simple things like jumping on top of an enemy or whatever.

There's so many going on I'm always confused. I think I need to lay down for a bit O_O

Now that I'm on to the hardest stars I'm hating the design choice of having lives in the game.

Being forced to do a whole level again when it's the end section that is the troubling bit, just because of an antiquated lives system, is infuriating. It's a relic of old Mario games that have no place in the modern games. It is literally my only problem with the game.

zigg

Foliorum Viridum said:
Being forced to do a whole level again when it's the end section that is the troubling bit, just because of an antiquated lives system, is infuriating. It's a relic of old Mario games that have no place in the modern games. It is literally my only problem with the game.
Really, it's not even that there are lives, but that they are almost completely pointless. Losing all of them just means you get some free disorientation.

Rlan

So I'm 115 Stars In, got all the stars I can

But I've yet to unlock TWO "Luma" stations -- one that costs 1500 Starbits, and one that costs 2000 Bits. I've only got 1,000 total! Fuck! I swear I've been collecting as much as I can, but bloody hell -- I now have to FARM Starbits?

What would be the best level to do this in? :/

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rlan said:
So I'm 115 Stars In, got all the stars I can

But I've yet to unlock TWO "Luma" stations -- one that costs 1500 Starbits, and one that costs 2000 Bits. I've only got 1,000 total! Fuck! I swear I've been collecting as much as I can, but bloody hell -- I now have to FARM Starbits?

What would be the best level to do this in? :/
Second star in Melty Monster, the boulder on a purple road one.

Top Bottom