• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Jasoco

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
That one is the most horrific. I also am reserving a special place in hell for
Rainbow Road Purple Coin Challenge
Stone Cyclone 1st Green Star
Boss Blitz Speedrun
and that bastarding
Green Star in midair in Flipsville
. They really got me.

But the last star is the most horrific.
1 was not that hard. 2 was easy once you figure out where to jump from. 3 was.. well, the only hard part was the last one. And the 4th, so easy once you figure out where to jump from.

JRW

I need to get back in the game and finish it, im at 190 stars. I sort of quit playing it about a month ago.

Boney

Banned
Rlan said:
So I'm 115 Stars In, got all the stars I can

But I've yet to unlock TWO "Luma" stations -- one that costs 1500 Starbits, and one that costs 2000 Bits. I've only got 1,000 total! Fuck! I swear I've been collecting as much as I can, but bloody hell -- I now have to FARM Starbits?

What would be the best level to do this in? :/
So wierd, I had exactly the right amount I needed for every last one, and I didn't really went out of my way to get em, just point if there.

Beat Bowser with 77 stars, such great music but it was a little on the easy side. Bowser's Galaxy Generator might be my favorite track from this game.

Does anyone have any idea what track plays in Bowser's Gravity Gauntlet
? I really enjoyed that level, loved all the castle levels actually.

$200

Banned
toasty_T said:
Does anyone have any idea what track plays in Bowser's Gravity Gauntlet
? I really enjoyed that level, loved all the castle levels actually.

This -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoZQV2kpv6o

Finally got all the stars today except for
star 242
which I probably won't be bothered (currently sitting on 6000 star bits).
Star 241
was a lot easier than expected and was a bit of a let down though =S

Rlan

I finished getting all 120 starts and unlocked the green stars. I got the first two and then decided "Nope, not gonna get those".

MG2 was a good game -- but so many of these starts, especially the prankster comets, were terrible.

I also find it insane that their idea of "removing the story" was to remove Rosetta from the main narrative (and just be in the ending) was to add a fat purple star with checker pants. Bastard was incredibly annoying throughout the whole game, and wouldn't shut up about "why don't you take a break" or "some new character is now infesting your face ship".

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I was pretty disappointed with the first two worlds of this game. The levels felt simplistic and easy. Luckily, things turned around at the 40 star mark, when more interesting stages and comets unlocked.

Started playing this yesterday. Of course it's great, but there seems to be a big too much stuff thrown into it. Variation is great, but I usually prefer old school mario platforming with less gimmicks. (Using gyros, disable gravitation, etc.)

Awesome game but so far I don't get the "game of the forever" talk. I've only completed world 1 and a few parts of world 2, so it might change.

zigg

Rlan said:
I finished getting all 120 starts and unlocked the green stars. I got the first two and then decided "Nope, not gonna get those".
Yeah, wow, don't stop there. They do take a little bit to get going, but some of those are really great. It's not missing out on half the game or anything, but a third sounds about right.

schennmu said:
Started playing this yesterday. Of course it's great, but there seems to be a big too much stuff thrown into it. Variation is great, but I usually prefer old school mario platforming with less gimmicks. (Using gyros, disable gravitation, etc.)

Awesome game but so far I don't get the "game of the forever" talk. I've only completed world 1 and a few parts of world 2, so it might change.
I feel the same. It's a great game, but I can't say that I'm as hooked as I was with SMG1. So far the levels and music are clearly worse. Far from bad, but not as good as I expected.

I do like that it has a world map instead of a hub though. That's definitely an improvement.

Wow.

I think I love this game more than SMG1, and I really enjoyed that one.

I wasn't too hyped about it TBH but damn, ever since I started playing it I couldn't put it down. About 3-4 days later and non stop sessions I got upto like 65 or so stars.

I had such a crazy nostalgic moment when I came across Throwback Galaxy. I didn't follow any SMG2 media or anything at all so this was an excellent surprise :D

The later levels are amazing and some of them really did annoy me. I still expected a lot more difficult levels but no regular levels in the first 5 worlds were that hard.

Still, I'm having a goddamn blast playing this. I'll probably beat it tonight and then get the rest of the stars starting tomorrow.

Also, what's the deal with the green stars?

So pretty much the gold stars are replaced by green ones and placed elsewhere, but no actual changes in the levels themselves?

Also, how do you unlock the secret world? Kinda bummed there were only 6 :(

m.i.s.

Banned
112 Stars in and beaten Bowser and I still want to continue playing (stopped playing SMG at about the 79 Stars mark) so I'm well chuffed.

Those Toads amuse me no end but I can't understand how Nintendo failed to incorporate those famous lines: "Thank you Mario! But our Princess is on another planet."

WillyFive

M.I.S. said:
112 Stars in and beaten Bowser and I still want to continue playing (stopped playing SMG at about the 79 Stars mark) so I'm well chuffed.

Those Toads amuse me no end but I can't understand how Nintendo failed to incorporate those famous lines: "Thank you Mario! But our Princess is on another planet."

Too obvious. Nintendo doesn't do obvious.

Man those tricks are great. I can't wait for speedruns.

Speed Demos Archive doesn't even have an SMG1 run yet though. :( It's a fucking shame because Mario 64 has some of the best speedruns I've ever seen in my life.

Dever

Banned
I just finished this. It's a good game and all, but I enjoyed SMG1 a lot more. It just felt far more like a complete game instead of just a bunch of levels stringed together. I can't quite put my finger on it. But one thing is kind of annoying me right now: Getting stars to access new levels. I just want to see all the levels the game has to offer, but first I have to go back to the levels I've already completed and do comets or collect star bits so I can feed those star dudes. Right now, I've got to collect 10 stars to access the next level in Special World. I just collected enough(1800) star bits to access a new level, but after that I'll have to collect another 1800. I got all the stars in SMG1, but I don't know about this one.

It'd be great if you could just go through the levels at your own pace and if the game never forced you to revisit levels you've already done to access new ones. I'm all for these kinds of things unlocking cool stuff for the player who wants to invest time into getting all the stars, but I don't see why Nintendo would want to lock entire levels, the very meat of the game, from players.

zigg

Dever said:
I just finished this. It's a good game and all, but I enjoyed SMG1 a lot more... I don't see why Nintendo would want to lock entire levels, the very meat of the game, from players.

They did the exact same thing in SMG. It was just... less visible.

Dr.Hadji

zigg said:
They did the exact same thing in SMG. It was just... less visible.

And the exact same thing in SMB Wii, and SMS, and Mario 64 and Yoshi's Island and Mario World. And besides, getting a level as a reward is probably the best thing you can receive in a Mario Game.

Boney

Banned
Himuro said:
I'm on world 3 and I'm starting to question why people think this is remotely on par with the original Galaxy. It's good...great even. But not Galaxy great. By the halfway mark, I knew Galaxy was one of the best games I had ever played. This game simply settles for the best game this year I've played (that wasn't Galaxy). I mean, it's pretty much the same shit except...not as good so far.

That said it's still the best 2010 game I've played so far but I'm kinda regretting my purchase. I should have waited a year to cool off on the original Galaxy before biting in this. I waited two months after beating Galaxy to start this up and I'm still having issues getting into it.

I beat Galaxy in and got over 80 stars in 2-3 days. I've had Galaxy 2 for a week and a half and only have 20 or so stars.

The music isn't as good, the levels aren't as interesting, and it feels like the same thing. I'd even wager there was no point to having a sequel to Galaxy at this point.

But to be honest, I don't give a shit. More Galaxy is great. It's like complaining one can have too many orgasms.

Thanks for something to look forward to.
You're just burnt out on Galaxy.

Boney

Banned
Himuro said:
Don't think this is the case. I played some of Galaxy as Luigi the other week and did like, multiple entire galaxies in one sitting. SMG2 has a slower pace than SMG1, this is fact.
Well it's certainly valid to enjoy Galaxy 1 more, but my guess you're enjoying it less because the throwbacks from the first one feel rehashy and you still have the sense of amazement from the first one.

You should maybe give it a rest and come back next year maybe?

Why do you feel Galaxy 1 has better pace? 2 gets rid of the hud and you get more galaxies more often, with every one involving it's own gimmick. With Luigi and Yoshi to spice things up as well.

Boney

Banned
Himuro said:
Then again, people say it picks up.
In my experience it picked up right from the start, so I don't know...

I feel Galaxy one does the gravity gimmick much better, but it has much more filler content.
While Galaxy 2 has a wider range of gimmicks to keep it entretaining.

Boney

Banned
Himuro said:
Super Street Fighter IV, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Quest 9. Oh right, FF13. I always forget I've played that game. I wonder why.
Love it when you troll :lol

monster hunter is rad

WillyFive

I guess people are confused at why this game is so praised, since they don't understand why. They come from different schools of gaming, and expect different things.

Is sad.

Willy105 said:
No, it's all over the place. Same with the first game actually.

It's a special quality.

SMG2 is praised for legitimately excellent game design which is leagues ahead of the first one. The problem is the gimmick has become the defining factor for a lot of people which is why it feels rehashy to them.

AniHawk

souvlakispacestation said:
You clearly haven't played many games released in 2010.

You clearly haven't played SMG2.

Himuro said:
I love the fact 2 doesn't have a shitty hub world. That's easily the best improvement. But I love the way Galaxy soothes the player into the game. It has its tutorial stages and it has an interesting difficulty curve and interesting scenarios. I'm 20+ stars into Galaxy 2 and it still feels like I'm unlocking new features and doing this and that. In Galaxy 1 the game paces itself so that you don't feel like you're being coddled 99% of the time.

I can't explain it. But that's the feeling I get playing 2.

Then again, people say it picks up.

The game gets awesome. Where SMG overstays its welcome toward the end with the comet challenges being so annoying and how it has that boring post game stuff, SMG2 has a much better pace (as I'm sure you're already well aware of) and a nice (sometimes great) post game.

Oh and while you might think it's kinda samey or kinda easy, it has one of the hardest challenges I've ever faced in a 3D game god damn.

That said, I think you should've played NSMBW as a sort of buffer between the 3D games. My personal ranking goes SMG2 > NSMBW > SMG anyway. I dunno, I think SMG2's early levels trash SMG's early levels. Everything's just a lot crazier since I think they knew the audience for this had probably already experienced the first game.

AniHawk

Himuro said:
How in the world do I play as my main man Luigi after unlocking him?

Well you wont unlock him until you beat the game, but you go into the room behind Mario's "hat" (there's a door with an M at the top).

Until then, only a couple levels will give you the option of playing as Luigi.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Himuro: I did kinda feel the same way as you, I wasn't really feeling the "magic" till world four. But worlds four on were some of the best gaming I've ever played, even more then the first Galaxy. Time will tell if you feel the same way.

Himuro said:
So if I pick a random galaxy it should let me play as Luigi rather than Mario. It'll be a pop-up?

I hate that Lugi's a hidden character these days. Lemme choose from the beginning please.
No, when you first fly into certain levels Luigi will be waiting by the beginning to tag out. And at least you get him fully at 70 stars this time instead of 120 :lol

Davey Cakes

With Galaxy 2, I knew it was an amazing and addicting experience when I was going through it, but man, now that it's been a little while since I've done the ol' 242, I feel like I really miss the game's brilliance, not just in its gameplay design, but just in its ridiculously satisfying pick-up-and-playability.

Top Bottom