• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Boney

Banned
:lol Poor Wily! :lol

Himuro said:
Music is still mostly meh but I find myself humming Fluffy Buff when playing it now. It's no Gusty Gardens and really...nothing in this game is, but it's okay I guess.
Isn't Galaxy2's main theme a Gusty Garden arrangement?

Glad you're enjoying yourself.. I guess Galaxy2 picked up right from the start for me was because I missed Galaxy...

I'm 140 stars in.. I really should press on...

Poyunch

Wait if I remember correctly can't you play as Luigi in every level? You just have to play it once as Mario and return to the star and switch, right?

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
Did the fire flower crate challenge number 2. At first I was... Oh fuck no! But after 3 tries it felt so satisfying to burn all those god damn crates!
Oh I remember that one, turns out it's really easy if you just hang out in the back and shoot one straight ahead in every line.

"Finished" the game last night. Got 95 stars and decided to beat the last level. Can't say I enjoyed this nearly as much as the first game. Atm I don't really feel like getting more stars. My backlog is ridiculous, and this game just isn't *that* fun to me.

Pretty much all of the new things they've added are meh. The new power-ups and Yoshi really don't add any fun to the core gameplay. Yoshi doesn't fit into these kind of levels at all. He's completely superfluous. The music is clearly worse than before, and many galaxies just feel like a chore to get through. Throwback Galaxy is really awesome though.

It's obviously a great game, but at the same time it's a big disappointment to me. I loved SMG, and I never felt like quitting. I got 120 stars with no breaks other than for sleeping and eating. SMG2 on the other hand... well I can get through it, but I'll not be getting all stars anytime soon.

I think that one SMG should have been enough. It felt fresh and was a lot of fun, but it was enough. I never felt that I wanted more. They exhausted the whole galaxy theme in the first game imo. SMG2 really is Super Mario Galaxy More. Which I understand is enough for most people. But not for me.

DEO3

I hesitate to even post this, but I find I really enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy 1 much more than 2.

After collecting every star in the first game I eagerly went and did it all over again with Luigi. With the sequel, after unlocking the green stars I went out and collected a couple but really have had no desire to finish running through the game again. I thought the hub world in the first had a lot more character than the faceship/starmap. No galaxy from the sequel really stands out to me while there are so many I can recall from the first; Buoy Base, Battlerock, Gusty Garden, Space Junk, Melty Molten, Beach Bowl. Likewise with the music, the first had some of the best music ever composed in a game, classics I still hum to this day - where as I can't recall any of the second's. I even liked the bosses in the first game better, especially the final Bowser showdown.

Hopefully we can still be friends.

Davey Cakes

It's really weird to me when people call Galaxy 2 a disappointment. They always cite the music as worse and the galaxies as "not as memorable." I don't get it. Galaxy 2 suffers from sequelitis at times, but its levels, soundtrack, and gameplay are all still tremendous.

I understand how similarity across sequels can be an issue for people, and the first galaxy was more original in a lot of ways, obviously, but this whole "first time impact" deal with games in general is overblown.

AniHawk

AndyMoogle said:
Pretty much all of the new things they've added are meh.

no
AndyMoogle said:
The new power-ups and Yoshi really don't add any fun to the core gameplay.

No
AndyMoogle said:
Yoshi doesn't fit into these kind of levels at all. He's completely superfluous.

No.
AndyMoogle said:
The music is clearly worse than before, and many galaxies just feel like a chore to get through.

NO.
AndyMoogle said:
Throwback Galaxy is really awesome though.

NO.

AndyMoogle said:
SMG2 really is Super Mario Galaxy More.

NO.

Davey Cakes

Heh. It is true that Throwback Galaxy is cool for nostalgia purposes, but it's not even the best Galaxy in World 6.

Of course, I've said that before.

Boney

Banned
AndyMoogle said:
Pretty much all of the new things they've added are meh. The new power-ups and Yoshi really don't add any fun to the core gameplay. Yoshi doesn't fit into these kind of levels at all. He's completely superfluous.
This is just wrong.
It's ok to feel underwhelmed with the game, but saying Yoshi doesn't add anything is just wrong.

Shiggy

I still love to go back to the levels in Super Mario Galaxy 1, even after more than 2 years. I ahven't really played SMG2 since I've beat it - it's just boring. There's nothing to do in the levels, there is no challenge at all and it lacks the love and detail of Super Mario Galaxy.

I would've loved to have some challenging levels that were more like those in SMG1 instead of boring levels such as Throwback Galaxy or many of the others which just didn't have an identity.

And Yoshi was underused, just like all the other items. The cloud was an utter failure - in some levels I didn't even know why it was there as you didn't even need it.
And I don't even want to talk about the star coins or green stars. They could have given those right from the start if they didn't intend to see them as a challenge for the user...

The fire flower still sucks btw ;D

AniHawk

Shiggy said:
I still love to go back to the levels in Super Mario Galaxy 1, even after more than 2 years. I ahven't really played SMG2 since I've beat it - it's just boring. There's nothing to do in the levels, there is no challenge at all and it lacks the love and detail of Super Mario Galaxy.

I would've loved to have some challenging levels that were more like those in SMG1 instead of boring levels such as Throwback Galaxy or many of the others which just didn't have an identity.

And Yoshi was underused, just like all the other items. The cloud was an utter failure - in some levels I didn't even know why it was there as you didn't even need it.
And I don't even want to talk about the star coins or green stars. They could have given those right from the start if they didn't intend to see them as a challenge for the user...

The cloud powerup is the best new power up in a Mario game since the leaf in SMB3.

Shiggy

AniHawk said:
The cloud powerup is the best new power up in a Mario game since the leaf in SMB3.

Of course it's great. but there's just no real use for it as the item appears everywhere when only made one step. In addition, it respawns immediately. If they incorporate such a great item, they need to design challenging and intelligent levels in which you need to use it.

I was pretty disappointed after SMG2 as both DKJB and SMG1 were the best games on GCN and Wii. I only hope that EAD Tokyo works on another Wii game, but a new experience instead of a sequel that cannot meet its expectations (partly due to questionable design choices).

Feep

Banned
How can you guys say all the best tracks were remixes? I absolutely adored:

Cosmic Cove
Puzzle Plank
Sky Station
Fluffy Bluff
Bowser's Galaxy Generator
MELTY MONSTER
Staff Roll Credits

In fact, even though Buoy Base and Gusty Garden are still probably my favorite SMG tracks, I think I enjoyed more of the music from the sequel. I know a lot of people complained about the soundtrack this time, and it just seems ludicrous to me.

I actually just finished this guy up myself. Really solid game, even though I'm only at like 80 stars or so.

I'm trying to figure out how I want to handle the postgame content now. The issue is, as much as I enjoyed this game I really dislike going back and searching for hidden collectables in games, especially level based games. It's an annoying feeling to go back through a level, miss the comet coin / hidden star that you were looking for and end up right back where you started. I've love the challenges posed in the actual levels and comet levels I just don't like the searching for comet coins and hidden stars much. But sadly I need to nab them to unlock more levels and comet levels. Maybe I'll just do it with gamefaqs open so I can just go and pick them off a few at a time, not like Galaxy 2 is the type of game where anything can really be spoilered.

AniHawk

Shiggy said:
Of course it's great. but there's just no real use for it as the item appears everywhere when only made one step. In addition, it respawns immediately. If they incorporate such a great item, they need to design challenging and intelligent levels in which you need to use it.

Yeah okay

Dr.Hadji

Shiggy said:

Don't forget to mention it has no soul. And is lacking that certain "charm" and the hole host of more filler words that really mean nothing. And SMG2 has no challenge when compared to SMG? Are you posting from the backwards planetoid in Up is Down Galaxy?

Boney said:
Isn't Galaxy2's main theme a Gusty Garden arrangement?

No. It is not anywhere near being a remix. It shares a motif. A motif that is found than more than a few songs in both games.

Gateway Galaxy > Good Egg Galaxy theme
Haunty Halls > Ghostly Galaxy theme
Metly Monster > Melty Molten theme
and Galaxy 2 Ending theme = best piece of Mario Galaxy Music.

Rafaelcsa

Shiggy said:

This is insanity... The cloud is among the very best power-ups in a Mario game ever. It's so damn fun cross huge distances with it.

SMG2 had the best use of Yoshi ever, in my opinion. He's so freaking powerful against annoying enemies like Hammer Bros. or Lakitu. He's much better in this game than in SMW where he's basically just an extra hit you can take or in NSMBW where he in appears in less than 10 stages... His fruits were a little underutilized but they were damn fun when they did appear.

I'd only agree about Fire Flower and Rock Mario not being that great, the latter which, ironically enough, you didn't mention. It's not a bad power-up, but it's quite limited and, thus, was underutilized.

And I don't get people who loved Throwback Galaxy. It's completely boring compared to most SMG1 and 2 galaxies. If they really had to pull something from SM64, it should have been Tick Tock Clock or Rainbow Cruise (I'm not sure if I got the names right). They'd be way more challeging and interesting and less focused on exploration, which fits Galaxy way more.

This sudden wave of negativity against this game is pure non-sense!

:lol Some of you seem to take it personally that there are people who find SMG1 to be more enjoyable than SMG2.

Lakitu and the Hammer Bros are really easy without Yoshi btw. Just shoot a star and then kill them. You'll need slightly more skill than using Yoshi, but they are far from annoying without him.

And I don't get the love for the cloud power-up at all.

Wizpig

AniHawk said:
no

No

No.

NO.

NO.

NO.
This.

It's not Super Mario Galaxy More, it's New! Super Mario Galaxy.
Also, i think Mario Galaxy 1 is slightly better.
Shiggy said:
And Yoshi was underused, just like all the other items.
:lol
Underused? try New Super "use Yoshi in 2 levels" Mario Bros. Wii. :p

In Galaxy 2, you use Yoshi in 1/3 of the stars!
This is a Mario game, not a Yoshi game.

Wizpig said:
This.

It's not Super Mario Galaxy More, it's New! Super Mario Galaxy.
Also, i think Mario Galaxy 1 is slightly better.:lol
Underused? try New Super "use Yoshi in 2 levels" Mario Bros. Wii. :p

In Galaxy 2, you use Yoshi in 1/3 of the stars!
This is a Mario game, not a Yoshi game.
If you install SMG2 using an USB loader, it will be named Super Mario Galaxy More. Wasn't that the originally planned title as well? Before they decided to make a real sequel with all new galaxies.

Wizpig

AndyMoogle said:
If you install SMG2 using an USB loader, it will be named Super Mario Galaxy More. Wasn't that the originally planned title as well? Before they decided to make a real sequel with all new galaxies.
Touchè, i guess :D
Is this true?! :eek:

But anyways, as you can read the Iwata Asks for the game, it was indeed planned as SMG 1.5 and you can see it in (imho) the first worlds.

But Yoshi and new powerups-based galaxies... the game becomes Super Mario Galaxy 2 alright.
And Super Mario Galaxy 2, while being more similar to SMG 1 than 64 or Sunshine for obvious reasons, still gives a different vibe than SMG 1 in my opinion.

A sequel like this (so much content, so much fun, and it doesn't feel like it was a quick cash-in) could only have been made by EAD Tokyo, one of the best videogame teams of the last 20 years.
I'm a little fanboyish when it comes to them, i think DKJB is the best 2d platform game of the last generation and SMG 1 is the best 3d platform ever along with Mario 64. D:

Eric Hall

Just started playing this again after some time off from it and man, it is brutally tough. Any Boo stage kicks the shit out of me numerous times. But, I'am definitely enoying it

olimpia84

Eric Hall said:
Just started playing this again after some time off from it and man, it is brutally tough. Any Boo stage kicks the shit out of me numerous times. But, I'am definitely enoying it

Those are my favorite stages! Love the music.

Yoshi adds to the game, but is nonetheless drastically underutilized. His tongue grabbing mechanic feels great, but only a handful of levels really take proper advantage of it.

upandaway

Yoshi's flutter jump caused my death a few times even when I was doing really well. It just fails sometimes, mid air, or it doesn't even activate after pressing the button. Is that just with me?

Shiggy

AniHawk said:

I was rather thinking about these levels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYs2RCdO9Ak (last part)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4B4-vU7MDo

Dr.Hadji said:
Don't forget to mention it has no soul. And is lacking that certain "charm" and the hole host of more filler words that really mean nothing. And SMG2 has no challenge when compared to SMG? Are you posting from the backwards planetoid in Up is Down Galaxy?

That was just my impression. In SMG1 I had way more difficulties to beat the game and it was more fun for me. In SMG2 it simply was walking through the levels with some jumps but with no challenge. In my opinion, the galaxies in SMG2 were not really memorable, they lacked an identity. For SMG1, I remember the bee galaxy, the ghost galaxy and all those others. In SMG", I don't even know where to look for a certain level or boss. Of course, this might be because you did not really need to explore the levels in SMG2, which made that game less interesting and less fun. All is my opinion.

Rafaelcsa said:
This is insanity... The cloud is among the very best power-ups in a Mario game ever. It's so damn fun cross huge distances with it.

I didn't want to imply that it was bad or anything. It was just underused or used in a wrong way. You could refill the clouds too often and in some levels it was available even though you could use the long jump instead and thus you didn't need it.

SMG2 had the best use of Yoshi ever, in my opinion. He's so freaking powerful against annoying enemies like Hammer Bros. or Lakitu. He's much better in this game than in SMW where he's basically just an extra hit you can take or in NSMBW where he in appears in less than 10 stages... His fruits were a little underutilized but they were damn fun when they did appear.[/quite]

Yoshi was great, I agree. But he should've appeared more often and he should've been able to do a butt stomp.

I'd only agree about Fire Flower and Rock Mario not being that great, the latter which, ironically enough, you didn't mention. It's not a bad power-up, but it's quite limited and, thus, was underutilized.

I actually liked Rock Mario, that one level was especially great and CHALLENGING! ;)
I also loved the ball levels, in particular the rainbow road.

One issue I had in several levels was the lack of objects for orientation, e.g. here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yorq57LEdEs (look at around 7:38 - the green star)

It's not a bad game in any way, it just didn't meet my expectations after the great SMG1 (my favorite game ever), therefore I am/was kind of disappointed. It's still the best game I've played this year though. Nevertheless, I won't go back to play some of SMG2, but I will play SMG1 again.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
Himuro said:
He's right. So far, there's been only four Yoshi levels. Yoshi DOESN'T add to the game.

The dashing stages are fun. I wish there were a couple more.

Eric Hall

Playing some more I have come to this realization: The game is not "fun-hard" to me. Certain stages are an absolute blast because they are fun to play on and they challenge you. But, some of the stages have ridiculously un-fun challenges for stars, especially when it comes to comet stars.

Haunted

Himuro said:
THIS GAMMMMMMMMMMMME

Supermassive Galaxy mannnnnnnnn

wvitX.gif
:lol always fun to see other people's reactions playing good games. Especially when they were a bit down on 'em... and the predictions (it'll get even better, you'll love it etc) come true.

*pats self on back*

george_us

Shiiiiiit Jigsaw Puzzle Galaxy was awesome! I'm loving this game so much more than Super Mario Galaxy. God damn Nintendo, I thought you lost it this generation, but you've proven me wrong.

Fuck I meant Puzzle Plank:lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Himuro said:
Super Street Fighter IV, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Quest 9, SMT: Strange Journey. Oh right, FF13. I always forget I've played that game. I wonder why.
That list is missing something something...

Davey Cakes

I do think that Galaxy 2 becomes better after 40-60 stars, but I could say the same for Galaxy 1. Both games start off okay and end awesomely. Though, really, I don't like saying this because both games still have some excellent galaxies in the starting worlds.

Honestly, I don't think Galaxy 2 does anything "wrong" that the first Galaxy did "right." If anything, Galaxy 2 corrects all of the prior game's errors, sequelitis aside.

Top Bottom