• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

rhino4evr

Amir0x said:
:/

I don't even have any reason to defend IGN, but this is dumb. Doesn't matter how much you love a hobby, there is always going to be something in it you don't like to do. Nobody on earth could possibly love all genres. That's a retarded line of thought and frankly insulting to anyone with half a mind to even remotely think about it for a second.

And yes, food critics like any other type of person has types of food he/she does not like. In that case, they would just not review seafood. They'd review other type of foods. It'd be bizarre if IGN put someone who hates platformers reviewing platform games, on the other hand. Like it'd be bizarre if a food critic who hates seafood wrote seafood reviews.

But, the actually slippery slope you introduced here however...just dumb.
Right amirox...but why was he writing about galaxy In the first place? He didn't review the game, but he still offered his biased opinion on it...for what reason.

An in my opinion you should have a general love for all things gaming in order to be a decent game critic...Nintendo is a pretty big piece of the gaming pie. I own all 3 consoles for a reason. I love playing games..I can recognize a good platformer, rpg, strat, fps, party, adventure, game when I see one and if you want to be considered a professional critic I think you should too

Doorman

Amir0x said:
:/

I don't even have any reason to defend IGN, but this is dumb. Doesn't matter how much you love a hobby, there is always going to be something in it you don't like to do. Nobody on earth could possibly love all genres. That's a retarded line of thought and frankly insulting to anyone with half a mind to even remotely think about it for a second.

And yes, food critics like any other type of person has types of food he/she does not like. In that case, they would just not review seafood. They'd review other type of foods. It'd be bizarre if IGN put someone who hates platformers reviewing platform games, on the other hand. Like it'd be bizarre if a food critic who hates seafood wrote seafood reviews.

But, the actually slippery slope you introduced here however...just dumb.

I love a wide array of genres, but make me play some lame casual party game or nintendogs or some other casualware crap and I'll snap the game in two.
I'd be completely on-board with your entire post if I didn't suspect that things like the bolded actually happen.

rhino4evr

Doorman said:
I'd be completely on-board with your entire post if I didn't suspect that things like the bolded actually happen.
Exactly, am I not responding to something that was JUST written IGN? They could have asked the janitor and gotten the same useless answer.

"oh Mario? I don't play nintendo games, so I don't really care" what great insight!

Amir0x

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Right amirox...but why was he writing about galaxy In the first place? He didn't review the game, but he still offered his biased opinion on it...for what reason.

An in my opinion you should have a general love for all things gaming in order to be a decent game critic...Nintendo is a pretty big piece of the gaming pie. I own all 3 consoles for a reason. I love playing games..I can recognize a good platformer, rpg, strat, fps, party, adventure, game when I see one and if you want to be considered a professional critic I think you should too

I am not even sure where you're going with your increasingly unhinged ramblings.

The piece was a general editorial style conversation about how the IGN staff feels about Super Mario Galaxy 2, a huge event in the gaming industry. Obviously, they sampled all different staffers who are going to have all different types of opinions (however retarded some of those opinions may indeed be). Only one staffer could have reviewed Super Mario Galaxy, or at best two. And in that case, it'd be a pretty boring conversation. Kind of an echo chamber.

A gaming journalist may have a general love for "all things gaming" and still not enjoy certain types of games. That's just the way it is. You'd be one of the only people on Earth who enjoyed every genre there is. It's simply not the way it works. Some people DO like certain type of movies. Some people DO like certain types of books over others. And yes, some people completely do like certain types of genres over others. Just like I hate party games/mini-game compilations, and just like that one guy doesn't seem to really like platformers anymore. That does not make you less of a gamer or less worthy to review games.

Just in the case IGN offered that guy a platformer to review, you should obviously ignore his advice. In this case, it wasn't even a review - just an opinion which you too can ignore as part of the larger article. Grow a pair.

rhino4evr

Amir0x said:
I am not even sure where you're going with your increasingly unhinged ramblings.

The piece was a general editorial style conversation about how the IGN staff feels about Super Mario Galaxy 2, a huge event in the gaming industry. Obviously, they sampled all different staffers who are going to have all different types of opinions (however retarded some of those opinions may indeed be). Only one staffer could have reviewed Super Mario Galaxy, or at best two. And in that case, it'd be a pretty boring conversation. Kind of an echo chamber.

A gaming journalist may have a general love for "all things gaming" and still not enjoy certain types of games. That's just the way it is. You'd be one of the only people on Earth who enjoyed every genre there is. It's simply not the way it works. Some people DO like certain type of movies. Some people DO like certain types of books over others. And yes, some people completely do like certain types of genres over others. Just like I hate party games/mini-game compilations, and just like that one guy doesn't seem to really like platformers anymore. That does not make you less of a gamer or less worthy to review games.

Just in the case IGN offered that guy a platformer to review, you should obviously ignore his advice. In this case, it wasn't even a review - just an opinion which you too can ignore as part of the larger article. Grow a pair.
You ended your diatribe with "grow a pair"? Really? Ok thanks for the advice.

I see your point, but it's one thing to dislike mini-games and casual friendly fair. It's another thing to dislike one of the biggest franchises in gaming, because you don't think it's done anything new...which is so far from the truth it's not even funny.

I don't know the whole thing just reeks of unprofessional journalism. But this is ign so I'm not that surprised.

Amir0x

Banned
rhino4evr said:
I see your point, but it's one thing to dislike mini-games and casual friendly fair. It's another thing to dislike one of the biggest franchises in gaming, because you don't think it's done anything new...which is so far from the truth it's not even funny.

I don't know the whole thing just reeks of unprofessional journalism. But this is ign so I'm not that surprised.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 does relatively little new. But that's what we like, right? I like established concepts made more perfect. That's how the best games are made.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 did a lot new, and it seems he disagrees with that assessment too... but who cares. You're like basically saying because this guy holds an opinion on a popular franchise that goes against the grain, he should be barred from lifetime game journalism. "How can he be a game critic if he hates that!?" Do you know how easy it would be to end every game discussion this way?

rhino4evr

Amir0x said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 does relatively little new. But that's what we like, right? I like established concepts made more perfect. That's how the best games are made.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 did a lot new, and it seems he disagrees with that assessment too... but who cares. You're like basically saying because this guy holds an opinion on a popular franchise that goes against the grain, he should be barred from lifetime game journalism. "How can he be a game critic if he hates that!?" Do you know how easy it would be to end every game discussion this way?
Ehh..I guess. I still think you are missing a bit of credibility when you don't recognize what Is a stellar contribution to the media in question.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Amir0x said:

I don't really have a problem with them writing up the opinions of someone who actually dislikes Galaxy, or enjoyed Galaxy but expects not to enjoy Galaxy 2. That would actually be interesting, despite the fact that it would get massive amounts of hate here on GAF. (Like the one guy on IGN was kind of saying)
But why bother writing up the opinion of someone who's attitude seems to be "meh, Mario isn't really for me"? Was that really a valuable contribution to the dialogue?

Amir0x

Banned
Socreges said:
:lol

God knows, in all-important video game debates, a big set of balls is most crucial.

In the realm of being a whimpering, blubbering mess everytime someone criticizes something you like, it is important to get a set of balls. Every time we get a thread for a big game, the second anyone says something negative there's like twelve pages of hand wringing over it. Balls (otherwise known as the "steel spine") would work wonders for these individuals.

Technomancer said:
I don't really have a problem with them writing up the opinions of someone who actually dislikes Galaxy, or enjoyed Galaxy but expects not to enjoy Galaxy 2. That would actually be interesting, despite the fact that it would get massive amounts of hate here on GAF.
But why bother writing up the opinion of someone who's attitude seems to be "meh, Mario isn't really for me"? Was that really a valuable contribution to the dialogue?

Could just be they asked everyone, got back responses, and thought this was one comment that added some variety to the discussion. Inevitably, some other IGN reader is bound to share that viewpoint and think that IGN covered their tastes too in the conversation. It is not at all unusual to include controversial opinions in such pieces, even outside of game journalism.

I think his opinion is nothing to get worked up about.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Amazon plans to ship me SMG 2 on the 28th. So probably gonna getting it until first week of June.

Socreges

Banned
Amir0x said:
In the realm of being a whimpering, blubbering mess everytime someone criticizes something you like, it is important to get a set of balls. Every time we get a thread for a big game, the second anyone says something negative there's like twelve pages of hand wringing over it. Balls would work wonders for these individuals.
This right here is a classic mistake that's often committed by people here on GAF (and I suppose other message boards). You have to be able to draw a distinction between individual posters. If there is a large group of individuals separately complaining about a particular thing, you can't conflate the loudest person with the number of people held in common. If I want to give my piece as well, that doesn't make me responsible for the other dozen people making similar posts.

If there is such a person that is a "whimpering, blubbering mess", then OK... let's break out the "grow some balls" comment. But I'm just not seeing it.

I actually disagree with rhino4evr here, and mostly agree with you. I think the IGN guy, however unfortunate his opinion, has a particular perspective that fit fine into the round-table discussion. But I can see where rhino is coming from. And your patented hyperbole, while always well-articulated, seems more out of place than anything.

Sorry for the off-topic shit, guys. Just had a thread of thinking that I couldn't help but pursue!

Socreges said:
This right here is a classic mistake that's often committed by people here on GAF (and I suppose other message boards). You have to be able to draw a distinction between individual posters. If there is a large group of individuals separately complaining about a particular thing, you can't conflate the loudest person with the number of people held in common. If I want to give my piece as well, that doesn't make me responsible for the other dozen people making similar posts.

If there is such a person that is a "whimpering, blubbering mess", then OK... let's break out the "grow some balls" comment. But I'm just not seeing it.

I actually disagree with rhino4evr here, and mostly agree with you. I think the IGN guy, however unfortunate his opinion, has a particular perspective that fit fine into the round-table discussion. But I can see where rhino is coming from. And your patented hyperbole, while always well-articulated, seems more out of place than anything.

/agree

Doorman

Amir0x said:
Could just be they asked everyone, got back responses, and thought this was one comment that added some variety to the discussion. Inevitably, some other IGN reader is bound to share that viewpoint and think that IGN covered their tastes too in the conversation. It is not at all unusual to include controversial opinions in such pieces, even outside of game journalism.

I think his opinion is nothing to get worked up about.
I don't think it's so much that his opinion is controversial as it is maybe not having much of a point to it. It sounds like a couple of the people they quoted never played Galaxy and make some very bizarre assumptions about the series (clearly, Galaxy is exactly the same as the old Super Mario Bros and hasn't changed in 20 years....right?)

I guess if the purpose of the article was to show that Nintendo hasn't done a very good job of convincing non-fans to buy into the Galaxy 2 hype, then this can be their anecdotal evidence for it. I guess the problem is that some readers are treating this like legit impressions from people that have played the game, which it sounds like only applies to like two of their sources. Does it still come off sounding stupid to a topic full of SMG2 fans? Sure does, but you know those editors aren't alone in their opinions, and that means Nintendo hasn't done too well in spreading their message.

camineet

Banned
IGN:

Brian Altano: Back in 2007, I stood in line outside of the Nintendo World Store in New York at midnight in November just to get a copy of Super Mario Galaxy before any of my friends. My hands were almost too numb to hold a Wiimote and Nunchuk once I finally snagged a copy, but that didn't stop me from staying up the entire night to play it. Super Mario Galaxy reinvented the platforming genre and proved that over two decades later, Nintendo still had some new ideas for their fat mascot. It was so good, in fact, that I found myself wondering how the hell they'd ever be able to top it.

And then, I played Super Mario Galaxy 2. A lot. And once again, it's brilliant. Gamers worrying that this sequel is just a retread of old ideas can stop. Galaxy 2 is an untiring bombardment of brilliance and surprise. It's also one of the toughest games Nintendo has ever made, tempting me to throw the controller down in defeat on more than one occasion. But again and again, I'd return, determined to grab that just-out-of-reach comet coin or topple that ridiculously hilarious looking boss. I'm looking forward to unlocking every stage, collecting every star and exploring every inch of Galaxy 2. Nintendo, somehow you've done it again.

fuck yeah. Amen.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Why the fuck are we talking about IGN in the official thread of the sequel to the fricken game of forever?!?!? You know what that is like? Picture me just about to have sex with Kate Winslet, but instead of there being a smile on my face, replace it with a frown... Why? Because I'm too busy being an idiot and thinking about some fat ugly chick that turned me down a week ago.

Seriously, WTF NeoGAF?!?!? Kate Winslet. At your house. 6 days. Get excite!!

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Yeah it's bad enough talking about IGN at all, but it's especially shameful when it's in the same thread as something as beautiful and pure as SMG.

Mael

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I agree with your response but would have bolded the part where the guy said it was really difficult.

YEAH!
The only tidbit of info I needed before forsaking the thread until Iwata asks/June
And who cares about ign, HOMER BOWLED A 300
huh I mean MARIO GALAXY 2 .... damn it I lost track of my thoughts here

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Whats a reliable website that I can use to buy SMG2 from the UK and ship it to Australia? I dont even care if it arrives late. NoA are not getting my money.

MYE

EatChildren said:
Whats a reliable website that I can use to buy SMG2 from the UK and ship it to Australia? I dont even care if it arrives late. NoA are not getting my money.

Zavvi? I buy alot from there. HMV too

Rich!

Hm. I've done a bit of digging, and it looks like the game's going to be leaked online later today.

Goddamnit. This is going to make the wait until release day unbearable.

Mael

Milabrega said:
IGN is Fox News of the industry, they are both owned by Newscorp.

some of you are being overly mean to Fox News, Ign isn't even funny to look at in a trainwreck sort of way (and kuddos to anyone that gave Glen Beck a mic, I discovered him last week via the daily show and my god he's a riot)

pakkit

Banned
richisawesome said:
Hm. I've done a bit of digging, and it looks like the game's going to be leaked online later today.

Goddamnit. This is going to make the wait until release day unbearable.
Grow a pair.

selig

Banned
dear god, guys!

fwiw, smg2 could have a metacritic score of 3/10. it´d still be the best game of the forever. seriously, every time anew. scores, bueh!

Feep

Banned
(laugh) I guess it's *possible* to dislike Galaxy, if you don't have a soul. But at least no one is outright idio--

Sure, [Mario is] one of – if not the most – iconic and endearing characters in videogames, but I dislike his design. I sincerely believe that Mario's (well-deserved) status prevents people from realizing how terrible of a character he is. And when I play a game with characters, I need good characters. Sorry Mario!
Oh, FFS.

Anyway, Super Mario Galaxy 2, fuck yeah!

BowieZ

Banned
Speaking of IGN

Doorman said:
Is anybody else getting a noticeable "Haters gonna Drill" impression from that Mario image in the OP?
This is what came to mind for me:

k1uxwk.png

:D

klier

Amir0x said:

You must be a big fan of Zelda, then.
Everything is based on OoT and has become highly stale and boring

Sadist

If you don't like the first Galaxy, by all means.

But complaining about lack in character depth, that makes me chuckle. Who the hell wants a journey into the thoughts of Mario and wants to find out what motivates him. Or what his past was like. Or looking into the relationship with his brother. Just typing this about Super Mario is plain stupid.

ZeroRay

So apparently I'll get to play this game with my Australian brethren since I've had some unexpected financial crap thrown my way.

Only thing is, It's gonna be so damn hard to stay out of this topic and watch videos since I've seen all of them up to now. :lol

CassSept

Kard8p3 said:
Then lets have more Mario then. Just in case anyone missed out here's a video showing all the clips from the newest Iwata Asks for this game (including the super spoiler of course.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEMBPE90rlM
Rewatching the movies, and Yoshi Star Galaxy is sooo gooood. Can't stop listening to it.

Yoshi's Island music is in it too!
There is a stage that changes in tune with music!
Whomp's Fortress music remix is so so great!

And oh, I'm gonna die soo many times accidentally doing spin jump in Flipswitch Galaxy:lol

klier

AniHawk said:
He is a big fan of Zelda and NO YOU ARE WRONG.

I'm a big fan of Zelda too, but I am not a fan at all of TP, and if they are going to rehash Zelda again in the OoT style, I don't think I will be even buying it. I've been there and done that by now.

And where did I go wrong exactly? By saying Zelda has become stale and predictable?
LOL, yell a bit harder next time if you want to make a point that makes no sense.

Top Bottom