• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

zigg

cosmicblizzard said:
Probably already been asked but does this require a system update?

Didn't on mine.

Not to, uh, distract from the current topic, but anyone playing the game with kids (or even other grown-ups... or other kids... there might be some cool opportunities to shave seconds off your speed-run times) might be interested in the run-down on the Co-Star Luma I just posted.

All I can see when I look at the logo is U R MAXY :lol Damn internet it's corrupted my imagination.

I'm hosed when this game comes out. I've been trying to finish up getting 120 stars as Luigi, my jump timing is going to be WAY off.

Zoc

I just saw that same gameplay clip everybody was hyping on the last page, in a TV ad here in Japan. Be warned!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zoc said:
I just saw that same gameplay clip everybody was hyping on the last page, in a TV ad here in Japan. Be warned!

Flight to Japan: cancelled.

LosDaddie

Banned
I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but I really enjoyed Sunshine. Not too difficult and I loved the pure-platforming segment at the end of each stage.

Willy105 said:
Not that Gamespot is the epitome of game journalism (according to them, the 3DS is the next version of the DS), but at least they take themselves seriously.

GS is only slightly better than IGN, but that's not a compliment.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stuff from Iwata Laughs Galaxy 2 Part 2. Summary from NoGentendo.

- Miyamoto approached the dev team as soon as Super Mario Galaxy was complete, and asked them to make another title since the framework for Super Mario Galaxy took so much time to make
- the dev team wasn't sure that they wanted to start another title right away, so they had a 'reflection meeting' to discuss the good things that came during Galaxy's development
- the team felt there were things they could do better, and also wanted to use things that they didn't get to the first time around
- the dev team originally called Super Mario Galaxy 2 "More Super Mario Galaxy"
- Hayashida and Motokura admitted that they originally felt they'd run out of ideas
- both Hayashida and Motokura said their excitement levels were quite low because of this
- the dev team quickly decided to add Yoshi, as he was supposed to go into the original Galaxy, but didn't make the cut
- the team said Yoshi didn't make it into Galaxy because they felt that there was already a lot going on, and throwing Yoshi into the mix would be too much
- the element of tugging things with Yoshi's tongue came later in development
- Miyamoto felt that the tugging action with Yoshi's tongue would add a lot of charm to Yoshi
- the tongue-tugging element of the game was originally only in one section, but because Miyamoto liked it so much, the devs fleshed it out
- the staff had multiple ideas as to how Yoshi should work, and they all came together to get what is in Galaxy 2
- Kazumi Totaka did the voice work for Yoshi, who now has some new sounds
- this is the first time in 10 years that Yoshi got new voice work
- the idea for Spaceship Mario actually came 5 years before Galaxy 2
- this addition was put into Galaxy 2 about halfway through development
- the dev team originally wanted to make switches a major element of the game, but it became too difficult during development to keep adding in these switches
- switches were going to completely change the layout of a level
- some elements of switching remain, such as ...

Red/Blue panels
Switches to slow the entire world
Blocks switch around periodically
Mario's Forms

- the idea for Drill Mario was added in because of Miyamoto's interest in having Mario travel through holes to emerge on the other side of a planet
- this is something Miyamoto wanted to see more of in Galaxy
- it took 1 to 2 months of testing for the dev team to come up with interesting ways to use the drill
- the dev team used a tool that allowed them to create/test stages as they went, without the need for programmers
- the 'rolling pillar' stage was created by a designer that was on the team for just one week
- this tool set allowed just about anyone to come up with ideas for the game, and the team was flooded with requests to create stages

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
BowieZ said:
Speaking of IGN

This is what came to mind for me:

k1uxwk.png

:D
Welcome back.

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
EatChildren said:
- this tool set allowed just about anyone to come up with ideas for the game, and the team was flooded with requests to create stages

GALAXY EDITOR as the 120 star reward confirmed??

BowieZ

Banned
Sir Johnny said:
GALAXY EDITOR as the 120 star reward confirmed??
Oh, I see. The
Throwback
Galaxy must demonstrate how
past
levels can be recreated using the elegant editor system.

AzureJericho said:
I say Nintendo should cap off the Wii with this, Bros. Trilogy style, then do something even crazier for Wii Next.
Something that goes beyond a galaxy... The next dimension!

Super Mario 4D CONFIRMED :D

EatChildren

ONM's Top 5 Galaxy 2 Moments. Im pretty sure they're only allowed to talk up until World 3, but whatever. Here's their list quoted. Those on blackouts might want to avoid, though I dont really consider it spoiler ridden.

1) The Chimp
He's already become a bit of a cult favourite here at the ONM office, despite the fact I'm the only one who's played the game and knows what he looks like. Still, that hasn't stopped myself, Neil, Fred and Art Editor Dale from becoming die-hard fans of The Chimp. I like him because he gives Mario some fun mini-games to play that are just difficult enough to require multiple goes to complete, but not so ridiculous that they're impossible. Everyone else likes him because he's a blue monkey who wears sunglasses.

2) Tall Trunk Galaxy's slide
The first star in Tall Trunk Galaxy is the first time you come across the Blimp Fruit, which makes Yoshi inflate. I much prefer the second star though, in which Mario has to slide down a series of huge, hollow tree branches to get to the star at the bottom. It looks, feels and (most importantly) sounds just like the Princess's Secret Slide level in Super Mario 64 and before I knew it I was 14 years old and playing my N64 again.

3) Beat Block Galaxy
I didn't have space to talk about this Galaxy in my review, but it's one of my favourites from World 3. Panels on the floor keep switching from visible to invisible, and you can only stand on them when they're visible. Fair enough, this happens a lot in platformers. The interesting thing here is they go to the beat of the music, and when they're about to disappear the Wii Remote will beep three times to the beat. Doesn't sound like much but when you play the game it's really immersive and makes you wonder why it's never been done before. A great use of the Remote speaker.

4) Bowser's Lava Lair
I don't want to spoil too much about this one, but the boss fight in World 2 is fantastic, as is the level that leads to it. Once again, fans of Super Mario 64 will feel right at home here, with the music and gameplay bringing back loads of pleasant memories. And the boss fight is extremely clever.

5) The [removed by Chris]
The later worlds contain some incredible moments, with one in particular appearing near the end of World 6. What is it? Ah, that would be telling. Needless to say long-time gamers will adore it. And that's before you even finish the game and see what happens then...

Embargo ends on Friday.

eXistor

Even though I admit being more hyped fpr Red Dead Redemption, I'm fairly sure Mario Galaxy 2 will be my favorite game this year.

mr.beers

rhino4evr said:
ugh..the 120 star reward is becoming more and more enticing. What could it be!!!! Im surprised it hasnt leaked yet.

Give it time. I would like to find out all by myself but I will spoil myself when the time comes I just can't help it!

rhino4evr

mr.beers said:
Give it time. I would like to find out all by myself but I will spoil myself when the time comes I just can't help it!

yeah..im totally going to spoil myself. Now I will most likely collect all 120 stars anyway..but if there is one or two stars that are giving me insane amounts of trouble, I may just day forget it, if the "prize" is 99 lives or 5 gold stars next to your name.

I still haven't collected all the coins in 9-7 in NSMBW for that same reason. Not worth the aggrivation for some shining stars.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oh man just watch...the 120 star reward is going to be a pink colored yoshi or some shit. The GAF collective suicide watch would be epic.

Seriously though, has a 3D mario EVER had a good 120 star reward?

-Yoshi giving unlimited lives in M64...meh
-Tropical shirt and sunglasses in Sunshine...double meh.
-Luigi playable in Galaxy...some find it nifty, but really it is still a huge meh.

BowieZ

Banned
For those keeping score, this is a summary of the galaxies we know of and that we've seen or heard in some detail about, so far, in a rough order suggested by available evidence. (Inverted commas for made-up/unknown names; question mark if it's uncertain what world it's in.) Point is, for those who are spoiling themselves, there's at least 2 full worlds worth of totally unseen galaxies (or about 12 plus a few Bowser/Jr. galaxies).

1-1 Sky Station Galaxy
1-2 Yoshi Star Galaxy
1-3 Spin-Dig Galaxy
1-4 "Ten-Pin Galaxy"
1-5 Fluffy Bluff Galaxy
1-6 Upside Dizzy Galaxy
1-B Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla

2-1 Boulder Bowl Galaxy
2-2 Cosmic Cove Galaxy
2-3 Hightail Falls Galaxy
2-4 Honeybloom Galaxy
2-5 Puzzle Plank Galaxy
2-6 Supermassive Galaxy?
2-B Bowser's Lava Lair

3-1 Cloudy Court Galaxy
3-2 Tall Trunk Galaxy
3-3 Haunty Halls Galaxy
3-4 Flip-Swap Galaxy?
3-5 Beat Block Galaxy
3-6 Starshine Beach Galaxy?
3-B Bowser Jr.'s Fearsome Fleet

4-1 "Bubble Blow Galaxy"?
4-2 "Electric Storm Galaxy"?
4-3 "Jungle Galaxy"?
4-4 "Ancient Ruins Galaxy"?
4-5 "Freezeflame Galaxy #2"?
4-6 "Cake Walk Galaxy"?
4-B "Bowser Level 2"

And of course, that galaxy <_<

Also, we've currently heard snippets from 21 brand new music themes (or remixes) that are being used during main galaxy gameplay. Soundtrack of the forever confirmed?

Kard8p3

BowieZ said:
Also, we've currently heard snippets from 21 brand new music themes (or remixes) that are being used during main galaxy gameplay. Soundtrack of the forever confirmed?

Oh yes it'll definitely be soundtrack of the forever.

rhino4evr

I hope we get more "ghost house levels" in this game. There were a few in the first, but I don't think any of them were as tricky as some of their 2D counterparts. I enjoy the puzzle aspects of those stages. Nothing worse then going through a door and realizing you are back in the beginning of the stage. :lol

EDIT - I wouldn't expect much from the 120 star reward, if several sites weren't bumping up the hype. The only thing we know for sure is that it ISNT a new playable character. My guess is still Mirror Mode.

Ew, I hope not. The absolute worst part of Super Mario Galaxy was the fact that they mirrored the Honey Hive level later in the game with a palette swap. None of that, please.

EatChildren

DeathbyVolcano said:
Ew, I hope not. The absolute worst part of Super Mario Galaxy was the fact that they mirrored the Honey Hive level later in the game with a palette swap. None of that, please.

That sucked because Honey Hive sucked.

Mirror mode would be a bit meh, but its not much different from the Luigi reward in Galaxy considering that was only a new character that played extra like Mario minus a few tweaks (I loved it nonetheless).

Idealy, give me a high difficulty mode; no checkpoint flags and only one block of health.

jay

EatChildren said:
Stuff from Iwata Laughs Galaxy 2 Part 2. Summary from NoGentendo.

- Miyamoto approached the dev team as soon as Super Mario Galaxy was complete, and asked them to make another title since the framework for Super Mario Galaxy took so much time to make
- the dev team wasn't sure that they wanted to start another title right away, so they had a 'reflection meeting' to discuss the good things that came during Galaxy's development
- the team felt there were things they could do better, and also wanted to use things that they didn't get to the first time around
- the dev team originally called Super Mario Galaxy 2 "More Super Mario Galaxy"
- Hayashida and Motokura admitted that they originally felt they'd run out of ideas
- both Hayashida and Motokura said their excitement levels were quite low because of this
- the dev team quickly decided to add Yoshi, as he was supposed to go into the original Galaxy, but didn't make the cut
- the team said Yoshi didn't make it into Galaxy because they felt that there was already a lot going on, and throwing Yoshi into the mix would be too much
- the element of tugging things with Yoshi's tongue came later in development
- Miyamoto felt that the tugging action with Yoshi's tongue would add a lot of charm to Yoshi
- the tongue-tugging element of the game was originally only in one section, but because Miyamoto liked it so much, the devs fleshed it out
- the staff had multiple ideas as to how Yoshi should work, and they all came together to get what is in Galaxy 2
- Kazumi Totaka did the voice work for Yoshi, who now has some new sounds
- this is the first time in 10 years that Yoshi got new voice work
- the idea for Spaceship Mario actually came 5 years before Galaxy 2
- this addition was put into Galaxy 2 about halfway through development
- the dev team originally wanted to make switches a major element of the game, but it became too difficult during development to keep adding in these switches
- switches were going to completely change the layout of a level
- some elements of switching remain, such as ...

Red/Blue panels
Switches to slow the entire world
Blocks switch around periodically
Mario's Forms

- the idea for Drill Mario was added in because of Miyamoto's interest in having Mario travel through holes to emerge on the other side of a planet
- this is something Miyamoto wanted to see more of in Galaxy
- it took 1 to 2 months of testing for the dev team to come up with interesting ways to use the drill
- the dev team used a tool that allowed them to create/test stages as they went, without the need for programmers
- the 'rolling pillar' stage was created by a designer that was on the team for just one week

So as usual Miyamoto contributes nothing to a game but probably makes it worse.

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
Brandon F said:
Oh man just watch...the 120 star reward is going to be a pink colored yoshi or some shit. The GAF collective suicide watch would be epic.

Seriously though, has a 3D mario EVER had a good 120 star reward?

-Yoshi giving unlimited lives in M64...meh
-Tropical shirt and sunglasses in Sunshine...double meh.
-Luigi playable in Galaxy...some find it nifty, but really it is still a huge meh.

Then why would the ONM, IGN etc reviewers tease so much a post-game surprise if it wasn't something interesting at least?
It may happen that it won't be as big as we all hope, but, then again, what would all the 240+ stars story be for, among the other things?

I also think whatever it will be, might not be related to rehashed challenges in already known galaxies, because that role is basically taken by the stray comets and the chimp challenges that ONM staffer graciously put on a different point of the list.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
EatChildren said:
Idealy, give me a high difficulty mode; no checkpoint flags and only one block of health.

Should be selectable from the get-go. Any other developer wouldn't stiff it's hardcore fanbase as such.

Guevara

jay said:

That's a weird conclusion. Miyamoto has become a good manager, he pushes a team to make something better than they would if left to their own devices. Also, it's a business.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
jay said:

Miyamoto sips lemonade and watches the dev team sweat. Once in a while he comes over and says "no no no, that's wrong, change it".

Bentendo

Since people are talking about where Mario will go next, I think I'll chip in.

I don't think we need Mario to go into space for the next adventure. My idea is Super Mario Mountain. Now hear me out: Each of the worlds is centered around a massive mountain. Mario can climb the mountain. He can make love with the mountain. He can become one with the mountain... in a sense... Mario can become the mountain.

Nicktals

Banned
jay said:

uhhhhh. Sounds like he's probably responsible for the game existing.

Also, my guess for a reward: Classic Mario mode. As EatChildren said, no checkpoints. Less 1-ups. Faster moving enemies and platforms, and the health system of classic Mario games. Hit once, you're small. Hit twice, dead.

Top Bottom