• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Bentendo

Nicktals said:
uhhhhh. Sounds like he's probably responsible for the game existing

Yeah, in the Iwata Asks thing it says that he came up with the drill idea and Yoshi pulling objects. Those are two pretty big contributions.

rhino4evr

open world mario..where you can make moral choices like whether or not to stomp on a Toad's head, or ditch Yoshi into a bottomless pit in order to reach a coin. :lol

WillyFive

rhino4evr said:
open world mario..where you can make moral choices like whether or not to stomp on a Toad's head, or ditch Yoshi into a bottomless pit in order to reach a coin. :lol

Nah, just having a Mario 64 like world, but the level doesn't end when collecting a star, and there is no transition between World 1 and World 2 and so on.

ryan-ts

How about a game where Mario captures and trains monsters while searching far and wide to become the best monster trainer of all-time while taking on other hopeful trainers in order to be the best.

rhino4evr

Willy105 said:
Nah, just having a Mario 64 like world, but the level doesn't end when collecting a star, and there is no transition between World 1 and World 2 and so on.

That sounds a lot like Jak and Dexter.

I think its a decent idea, in a way Sunshine kind of did that...except there were still sprites..you were supposed to be under the impression that you were in one world.

I really like the separating between hub and level in Mario games, for some reason. I really like how the hub is just a really interacting menu, and the game designers can do a lot of fun things with it as seen in SMG1 and SM64

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
All I want from this game is for them to fix the 'warning' sound that happens constantly when you have 1 hit left on your life meter. If they do that, it'll be game of forever. If not, I rail on about how horrible it is compared to the first.

Lkr

Extollere said:
All I want from this game is for them to fix the 'warning' sound that happens constantly when you have 1 hit left on your life meter. If they do that, it'll be game of forever. If not, I rail on about how horrible it is compared to the first.
nowhere near as bad as the pokemon warning sound :p

WillyFive

Extollere said:

It's supposed to motivate you to NOT be left with one life meter left.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Extollere said:

Ideally they'd relegate it to the Wiimote's speaker which can be independently muted without affecting the game's (presumably) blissful soundtrack.

Shiggy

Extollere said:

It would be great to have sound options (who wouldn't want to mute the sound effects?)!

rhino4evr

Extollere said:

I don't know, that sounds adds a certain stress level, really makes close battles much more tense. Im sure Nintendo realizes that as well.

BowieZ

Banned
I've been humming the Boulder Bowl music for the past few hours. :lol

Meanwhile:

10xrh1j.png

o__0

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Kandinsky said:
I dont get the hate for these commercial, i found them brilliant!
Has there been hate for them? I've only seen people that like them, but I haven't been following this thread closely. Personally, I really like them. If nothing else, it's much better than 'We would like to play'.

bridegur

Willy105 said:

This is the direction I was hoping Banjo-Kazooie would have gone in. Jak and Daxter did this quite well.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
After reading the Iwata ask's article, I'm hyped! But I have to buy, and beat SMG first.

Which isn't a bad thing.

Zing

Banned
GK86 said:
After reading the Iwata ask's article, I'm hyped! But I have to buy, and beat SMG first.
How can anyone with a Wii have not played the best game Nintendo has produced in 14 years?

Zing

Banned
I am trying to avoid spoiling the game for myself. I have only watched one preview and I only skim these threads. I can wait another five days.

I preordered the game at EB today using three crap $10 games purchased at Walmart and Best Buy. It turned into $70 credit thanks to a promotion, which means I ultimately got SMG2 for a measly $20. That's some crazy shit.

WillyFive

JSnake said:
Um, doesn't the fact that you're at 1 health do that on its own?

Believe it or not, that doesn't do much for most people. Most wouldn't even realize it without something to remind them constantly.

Taxman

So am I the only person who hated Bee Mario in Galaxy? I thought it was the worst suit he's ever had. For me Mario games, especially the 3D ones, are all about agility. I feel that the hover in his bee suit form is so sluggish and boring that it clashes with the greatness of the rest of the game.

Taxman said:
So am I the only person who hated Bee Mario in Galaxy? I thought it was the worst suit he's ever had. For me Mario games, especially the 3D ones, are all about agility. I feel that the hover in his bee suit form is so sluggish and boring that it clashes with the greatness of the rest of the game.
Nope, pissed me off even more when Miyamoto said taht that was the reason for no Yoshi. :/

Don't know why they brang it back instead of using another fit like hammer Mario or Cape Mario . . .

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Zing said:
How can anyone with a Wii have not played the best game Nintendo has produced in 14 years?

I don't have a Wii. :p

Back when my brother had one, I played about half-way through it. But my brother sold the Wii before I could finish. I'm buying a Wii on Friday.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Taxman said:

I didn't much care for ANY of the suits in Galaxy. They were gimmicky and only ever interesting for a few speciailized stars, but compared to the older Mario 'suit' powerups, none of them really had any beneficial quirks outside of their specific course runs.

Same goes for the new powerups. Would be nice if there were more utilization to some suits than the confined spaces they are designed for. Think of the Cape or P-wing or Tanooki in past games.

.la1n

Brandon F said:
I didn't much care for ANY of the suits in Galaxy. They were gimmicky and only ever interesting for a few speciailized stars, but compared to the older Mario 'suit' powerups, none of them really had any beneficial quirks outside of their specific course runs.

Same goes for the new powerups. Would be nice if there were more utilization to some suits than the confined spaces they are designed for. Think of the Cape or P-wing or Tanooki in past games.

this man speaks truths
still love mario galaxy tho

Wish Nintendo would stop releasing there games and hardware on Sundays. I want to play it now. :(

Zing said:

Eh, SMG isn't even my favorite Mario game. Maybe my favorite 3D Mario but that would be a close call.

Platy

Anyone saw the Full list of galaxy names in the guide's table of contents ?

It shows the explanation of the 120+ thing :
" Find all 120 hidden Green Stars—you cannot unlock the last galaxy without them!"

120 HIDDEN stars !!!
*heart atack*

... is "last galaxy" the "Grandmaster Galaxy" or all of the "Special World" ?

talking about the special world... "Mario Squared Galaxy" has awesome retro possibilities"

The kotaku quote of the "Mario Galaxy's Secrets have Secrets" is a little .... underanalization xD

Doorman

The only reason I didn't like the bee suit was because for the most part it felt like it took away from too much of Mario's standard mobility instead of simply adding to it. Couldn't you not long jump or backward-somersault while you had it on? It never felt like a power-up that was genuinely more useful to have than the standard Mario unless there was a specific need to use it (i.e. tall cliff that can only be accessed by hovering), and I think that's why it doesn't endear itself to people. I hope that rock and cloud Marios feel like they have a bit more utility to them.

EatChildren said:
- Kazumi Totaka did the voice work for Yoshi, who now has some new sounds
- this is the first time in 10 years that Yoshi got new voice work
This really shouldn't surprise me I suppose...but it kind of does anyway. I hope they recorded an awful lot of stuff if they don't plan to retouch Yoshi's voice for another ten years.

Eric WK

So I just bought a Wii. Do I need to play SMG1 first or can I jump right in with this?

I realize I should play it, but man, that price tag two and a half years out.

Kard8p3

Platy said:

" Find all 120 hidden Green Stars—you cannot unlock the last galaxy without them!"

120 HIDDEN stars !!!
*heart atack*

talking about the special world... "Mario Squared Galaxy" has awesome retro possibilities"

The kotaku quote of the "Mario Galaxy's Secrets have Secrets" is a little .... underanalization xD

I need this game yesterday.

GWX

Platy said:

120 HIDDEN stars !!!
*heart atack*

Whoa. Also,
Clockwork Ruins Galaxy? Does it have connection with Tick Tock Clock, the best Super Mario 64 stage?
FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

cvxfreak

rhino4evr said:
Japan is the City of Spoilers.

Indeed.

They had Ada Wong on Resident Evil 4's advertisements, and even on the box itself, before it was widely known that she was in the game. :lol

Piano

Banned
Platy said:

120 HIDDEN stars !!!
*heart atack*

:O
Does anyone have this game yet?! Why aren't there videos of
Throwback Galaxy?!

Davey Cakes

Eric WK said:
So I just bought a Wii. Do I need to play SMG1 first or can I jump right in with this?

Both purchases are legitimate, as the first game is great and the second one is going to be great.

You can choose either game and you'll win out, regardless of the price tag. And, when you've saved up enough money again, you can jump into the next one.

I'm against the idea of games maintaining a single price point over a span of a couple of years, but if there's one game that's still worth the money, it's the original Galaxy. That said, if you're prepared to spend $50, nothing's stopping you from jumping into Galaxy 2 first and just getting the original Galaxy down the line. This sequel may end up more refined or creative or something, which may potentially dampen the experience of the first game, but that's it. Otherwise, they take place in alternate universes, so in terms of plot connection there really isn't anything to be concerned about.

Galaxy 2 was originally going to be called "More Super Mario Galaxy," after all.

bridegur

Eric WK said:

For me, SMG is the only Wii game that's fully worth $50, but you might as well play SMG2 first.

Ataturk

Eric WK said:

From a story point of view, of course not. It's probably better not to get burnt out on it, so I would say go straight to SMG2 and pick up the first later on. In all likelihood, you won't need convincing to pick it up after playing 2.

Platy

TheEastonator said:
:O
Does anyone have this game yet?! Why aren't there videos of
Throwback Galaxy?!

Theoricaly there are in the iwata asks ... remeber THE spoiler from pages back ?

Eric WK said:

If it wasn't *that good* it's used price wouldn't still be so high after so much time with that many copies sold. If they stopped manufacturing new copies, I think the used price would be at $50 or more. It's just that insane.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Super-Mario-Galaxy-Wii-2007_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ55615550

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=230014

Think of it this way, you can buy a copy used on half.com or ebay, and then sell it back for about the same amount of money. Or just keep it, since it is worth keeping.

Kard8p3

Why did no one say that 1up was going to do a game night on galaxy 2? Apparently we've already missed the live version so now the wait for them to upload it starts.

Top Bottom