• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Haunted

Not gonna lie, after 10+ unsuccessful tries, I got a friend to help me get star 242 in Co-op. :eek:

First try, too. The second player is so powerful in this game. :lol

Rash said:
You also have to take into consideration that Sunshine and Galaxy just play and control a tad differently. If you took specific levels from Galaxy and transplanted them into Sunshine, or vice versa
i.e. the Sunshine void level in SMG2's Special World
, the levels may seem more or less challenging depending on what kinds of physics and controls you're used to. The way Mario moves, turns, jumps, and slips around is not exactly the same in every 3D Mario game.
True.

Galaxy and Galaxy 2 perfected 3D Mario controls for me. The platforming has never been tighter, the controls never more fluid and responsive. The pinnacle of platforming controls as far as I'm concerned.

Shiggy

Foliorum Viridum said:
The green stars are very hard. Anyone who says otherwise is ridiculously talented, or a liar.
Edit: Oh, he only did 120? Yeah, that explains that.

Mario 64 has some of the best level design in the entire series, also.

What green stars are you referring to exactly? Those in which you die because you cannot really see where to jump because there's no object for coordination? Those stars were not hard but badly designed. All the others were not really tough to get at all if you finished SMG with 242 stars.

Having said that, there's absolutely no contention whatsoever that the latter 120 stars of Super Mario Galaxy 2 contain challenges that are much, much harder than anything that Super Mario Galaxy ever had. Since the latter 120 stars are a part of the game and have to be accounted for when talking about the game as a whole, "Super Mario Galaxy 2 is harder than Super Mario Galaxy" is a factual statement.

Your opinion =|= Factual statement
Still I would like to know to which green stars you are referring. ;)

Mael

Himuro said:
Eh. This game has Sunshine levels in it too now? Meh.

But wouldn't the star jump make it easier on default here?

Yeah but it's still piss easy, so really...
I mean it's not even a hard level to begin with (especially compared with the next which is pretty much WAY harder).
Seriously the hardest part of Sunshine is not being bored by the fucking blue coins :lol

Haunted

Himuro said:
Really?

So playing the bulk of a game, means nothing? Or are the greens stars really that big of a chunk of post game?

I'm perplexed by that kind of opinion. You beat the game, over 70 stars, and that's not a valid opinion on the game's difficulty? Okayyyy. In any case, to me arguing about difficulty when it comes to mario games is pointless. I'm just so confused why people think Galaxy 2 is so much harder, but maybe that post-game really is something.
Well, getting 70 out of 242 stars isn't the bulk of the game, now is it? You've seen almost all levels in the game, but you haven't gotten the bulk of its stars.

Your opinion of SMG2's difficulty is certainly valid... as far as the first 70 stars are concerned. :)

Peff

Himuro said:
Really?

So playing the bulk of a game, means nothing? Or are the greens stars really that big of a chunk of post game?

I'm perplexed by that kind of opinion. You beat the game, over 70 stars, and that's not a valid opinion on the game's difficulty? Okayyyy. In any case, to me arguing about difficulty when it comes to mario games is pointless. I'm just so confused why people think Galaxy 2 is so much harder, but maybe that post-game really is something.

The last star is definitely harder than anything else in the game, but I can't agree that the second set is any difficult. A majority of them are very asinine, some require a bit more thought and skill but it's never really demanding. Maybe the ones that require using the blue floating stars things...

Haunted

Grandmaster Galaxy has green stars, right?

There, done. Hardest stars in the game. I also thought the last green Stone Cyclone star was tough (and the first one delicious). I also struggled with the final green star on Boulder Bowl. The first green star on Haunty Halls Galaxy. The last green star on Shiverburn Galaxy(!!)

And these are just off the top of my head.

Upon further reflection, many of the green stars are ingeniously placed and only reachable by triple-jumping, or extended wall-jumping. Which, arguably, creates an added challenge on top of the regular objective to make it through the level.

upandaway

Himuro said:
When can I tackle green stars? Right when beating the game?
I hope you're not looking forward to that. I think the Luigi Mode in SMG is better than the green stars, and that's saying a lot (I haven't done more than 3 of them but that's kind of the point).

Haunted

upandaway said:
I hope you're not looking forward to that. I think the Luigi Mode in SMG is better than the green stars, and that's saying a lot.
I think the added green stars are fantastic, and form a much better post-game reward than reaching the same stars with Luigi
(which, incidentally, is also possible in SMG2, making it factually superior by offering both options. :p)

Gah, where's Anihawk when you need him! :lol

Haunted

Himuro said:
I'm not saying SMG is so much harder than SMG2. I'm saying that they're probably about even keel in terms of difficulty. At least, that's my experience.
Yeah, that's much more sensible.

I guess what I want to say is that the base level of difficulty is probably comparable for a lot of stars, but that SMG2's difficulty peaks are much higher than those of SMG.

Dascu

Haunted said:
I think the added green stars are fantastic, and form a much better post-game reward than reaching the same stars with Luigi
(which, incidentally, is also possible in SMG2, making it factually superior by offering both options. :p)

Gah, where's Anihawk when you need him! :lol
Playing NSMBWii instead of whining about which Galaxy is the best Galaxy.

Dascu

Himuro said:
Since Dascu is showing up, I think I will take this opportunity to take a break from SMG2 and continue with No More Heroes 2, which I might add, kicks the living shit out of the first game in terms of writing, story, characters, and gameplay (at least so far).
Good lad.

Garcian

Haunted said:
Not gonna lie, after 10+ unsuccessful tries, I got a friend to help me get star 242 in Co-op. :eek:

First try, too. The second player is so powerful in this game. :lol

Never tried co-op - what does player 2 do? Is it Mario & Luigi together?

Haunted

Garcian said:
Never tried co-op - what does player 2 do? Is it Mario & Luigi together?
That would make the game even harder! :p

Nah, it's a second cursor. Able to stop hazards, stop moving platforms, stop and kill most enemies, able to collect coins and star bits for you.

Garcian

Haunted said:

That's what I was thinking :lol

Haunted said:
Nah, it's a second cursor. Able to stop hazards, stop moving platforms, stop and kill most enemies, able to collect coins and star bits for you.

I see - might be a good way to get the wife involved in the game :)

Dascu

Haunted said:

This has always bothered me a bit. I wish the enemies looked more evil. A lot of the time I don't want to "kill" them because they look too cute or fuzzy.

WillyFive

Dascu said:
This has always bothered me a bit. I wish the enemies looked more evil. A lot of the time I don't want to "kill" them because they look too cute or fuzzy.

That's the point. That's how they win.

Dascu

Flaptack.png

This was the one I had in mind. Yes, it was actively trying to attack me, but I felt guilty when I stomped it. It just looked too colourful and the way it flutters or how it desperately tries to get away after it's stuck in the floor... I'm sorry little dude. :-(

Smeech.png

It just wants to give Yoshi a kiss. :-(

Pupdozer.png

You even have to kill its mom. Come on. :-(

upandaway

I killed them as hard as I possibly could. You'd think they killed my family and friends by torture.

It's war. That's how it's fucking done.

Jokeropia

Himuro said:
You beat the game, over 70 stars, and that's not a valid opinion on the game's difficulty? Okayyyy.
Mario games are made so that even less skilled players are able to "beat" the game and see the ending and whatnot, but with lots of optional content for those of us looking for a serious challenge.
Haunted said:
Grandmaster Galaxy has green stars, right?
No.

Though it's not like the two stars in that galaxy aren't hard enough already. ;)

Sagitario

Himuro said:
Love

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Yoshi's Island
3. Super Mario Sunshine
4.Yoshi's Island 2

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Super Mario World
7. New Super Mario Bros
8. Super Mario Bros
9. Super Mario Bros 2
10. Mario Paint

I like the game, but it has so many design flaws (and annoying little things) that I just can't love it...

AniHawk said:
Also, I think SMG2 keeping a record of your best times encourages creative platforming more than SMG ever did. There's nothing like this in SMG. I guarantee it.

I said WOW! :O

Shiggy said:
What green stars are you referring to exactly? Those in which you die because you cannot really see where to jump because there's no object for coordination? Those stars were not hard but badly designed. All the others were not really tough to get at all if you finished SMG with 242 stars.

My main issue with the "hard" green stars...

Davey Cakes

Haunted said:
Now that was a hard game. Fuck 9-7, seriously.
9-7 isn't that hard if you're just running through the level. It is only hard if you're trying to get the special coins.

Hell, I can just hold right nearly the entire time and get through the level merely by relying on good jump timing.

jett

D-Member
I lol'd at
double rainbow

Anyway, last week I completed SMG1 for the first time, and soon after I jumped into SMG2, which I've finished but not 100% yet. I liked SMG1 better to be honest, SMG2 is still lots fun although pretty derivative, I was surprised how much it apes the first one right down to level design in some galaxies. It also lacks the wow factor of the first one but that's to be expected from a sequel like this which is more like an expansion pack to the first. I also liked the galaxies in the first game more. Too bad there's only one prankster comet per galaxy in here. Loved all of those in SMG1.

SMG1 = best game ever.

SMG2 = good sequel

It's a shame that so many people here are so down on SMG2, especially compared to SMG1. I mean, SMG2 fixed or improved upon so many issues that plagued the first game.

The camera, for one. Mario games have always been about an innate, intuitive relationship between Mario and the player. In NES Mario, there was never any question how you would move. Left was always left. Right was always right. Jump was always jump. There was a consistency there. It was that consistency that allowed Mario to become an extension of the player, rather than some vague, remotely controlled avatar. In NES Mario, your brain easily made the connections between button presses and on-screen responses almost immediately.

That was not the case in SMG1. When the camera changed, your joystick directions changed, which means any little wave of the camera forces your brain to re-acquire spatial information and it completely removed me from the experience. Scripted fall off of a large pillar, only to have the camera land upside-down and my movement became reversed? Leave movement reversal to poison powerdowns in Bomberman, please. :p

Rarely have I experienced that kind of disorientation in SMG2. There were a few times, sure, but the camera position and movement were nowhere near as much of an issue in Galaxy 2.

Furthermore, SMG1 lacked the holy crap game-breaker moments in NES Mario. I mean, take, for example, the first time in SMB1 where you broke through the ceiling and were running in front of the score display. It was mind-blowing. And suddenly, within that one second, the entire game changed forever. NES Mario rewarded experimentation. It encouraged you to break the game. And it rewarded you when you thought outside the box...or in the case of SMB1...thought outside the level.

Big reason why I love, love, love SMG2 is because it brought back the experimentation and game-breaking. There have been a dozen times in my 80-star game where I've found some mind-blowing shortcuts...stuff that rivaled the score display stuff in SMB1. Hell, one of my favorite shortcuts happened extremely early on in the game, where
you're crossing a green bridge with a few Goombas here and there, and eventually reach a large 2D gravity portion built into a gigantic wooden frame
. You can jump
onto the wooden frame, bypassing the Thwomps and gravity wells, and drop right down onto the star
. At first I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be able to do that, then I discovered
1-up mushrooms hidden in each of the far corners of the frame
. It was a moment I'd never had in SMG1.

Seeing people so down on SMG2 really is heart-breaking, because it's even more of a classic Mario game that SMG1 ever was.

Boney

Banned
Roto13 said:
The idea that the camera in Super Mario Galaxy was anything but a modern marvel is ridiculous.
It's an amazing achievement, but it has a few problems with tricky angles. SMG2 camara is practically flawless.

At least 5 times I've had Mario just starting running in circles, while holding straight in a direction, because of the camera flipping out a bit. Can't remember that happening ever in SMG1, and I spent more time on that game. Or maybe it happened and it never stuck in my mind since there wasn't really any major annoyances in there like in SMG2.

Aru

I bought the game today (after selling Crystal Bearers), but I'm not sure I want to play it before getting/finishing the first one. I feel like I won't enjoy SMG1 if I finish SMG2 first.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
burgerdog said:
Gaf, did I miss a tutorial? What's the blue/gold swirly pad for? I've seen it in a couple of levels and I can't interact with it.
I think you're supposed to spin on them and it transports you to a challenge room of sorts.

Kill all enemies, receive 4 1-ups

Desiato

qwerty2k said:
ummm wasn't sure where to ask this but: should i get new super mario bros wii or super mario galaxy 2?
SMG2. But this is the SMG2 thread. If you were to ask this in the NSMBW thread, they might tell you otherwise. They'd be wrong though.

pakkit

Banned
qwerty2k said:
ummm wasn't sure where to ask this but: should i get new super mario bros wii or super mario galaxy 2?
NSMBWii. It's a great single and multiplayer game. SMG2 is great, but you could beat most of it in a rental period.

WillyFive

Aru said:
I bought the game today (after selling Crystal Bearers), but I'm not sure I want to play it before getting/finishing the first one. I feel like I won't enjoy SMG1 if I finish SMG2 first.

I think they can be played simultaneously. Whenever you feel like you want a different rhythm of gameplay, switch games at will.

pakkit said:
NSMBWii. It's a great single and multiplayer game. SMG2 is great, but you could beat most of it in a rental period.

You'd have to play all day.

theluma

7h1ag0 said:
Just got 241 stars, and I'm done! :D

I'm not hardcore enough for the perfect run :(

At the same stage but I will do it goddamnit.

If I can beat the goddamn dreadnought purple coins then I can do anything...

Orgen

Just got the 242nd star... the fuck with the difficulty of this star and the little reward for getting it! (the 120 Shines reward in Mario Sunshine is worst, I know)

32 hours clocked, not bad. Great game, on par with Mario Galaxy IMO

So I got 120 stars last night, and moved onto the
Green Stars

Some of those last few stars were brutal. My last one of the "normal" stars was 100 coins on Rainbow Road.

But today I went to record footage of Galaxy 2 at work, and the first few levels I breezed through. Wow, the learning curve in this game is excellent, because I remember those levels not being this easy.

But wow, Galaxy 2 late game is brutal.

jett

D-Member
You know, getting 120 stars in SMG1 was pure fun.

Getting 120 stars in this game is frustrating, annoying, and I think I'm starting to hate it a little bit!

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Why exactly?
I guess he prefers purple coin challenges that force you to comb over every square inch of a level to find the last coin you missed over purple coin challenges that actually test your platforming skills.

Top Bottom