• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Platy said:
Anyone saw the Full list of galaxy names in the guide's table of contents ?

It shows the explanation of the 120+ thing :
" Find all 120 hidden Green Stars—you cannot unlock the last galaxy without them!"

120 HIDDEN stars !!!
*heart atack*

... is "last galaxy" the "Grandmaster Galaxy" or all of the "Special World" ?

talking about the special world... "Mario Squared Galaxy" has awesome retro possibilities"

The kotaku quote of the "Mario Galaxy's Secrets have Secrets" is a little .... underanalization xD
I don't really understand . . .

This might be flame bait, but what is it that keeps a game like this from getting a higher score than Red Dead Redemption in Game Informer? I feel like a lot of gamers poop on games that aren't realistic or don't have guns in them. Not that a 9.25 is a "poop on," but a higher score might have convinced a few of my friends to pick it up.

Johnas

So without spoiling, can somebody just say that the reward for getting all the stars in this game is better than the one for Super Mario Galaxy?

I was pretty underwhelmed at Luigi.

Kevtones

Johnas said:
So without spoiling, can somebody just say that the reward for getting all the stars in this game is better than the one for Super Mario Galaxy?

I was pretty underwhelmed at Luigi.

There's more than one kind of star.

MYE

patrickthehedgehog said:
This might be flame bait, but what is it that keeps a game like this from getting a higher score than Red Dead Redemption in Game Informer? I feel like a lot of gamers poop on games that aren't realistic or don't have guns in them. Not that a 9.25 is a "poop on," but a higher score might have convinced a few of my friends to pick it up.

Gaminformer is shit.

Kard8p3

Kard8p3 said:
Why did no one say that 1up was going to do a game night on galaxy 2? Apparently we've already missed the live version so now the wait for them to upload it starts.

So regarding this does anyone know how long it usually takes them to upload it? Shouldn't be any longer than a day or 2 should it?

Platy

Black-Wind said:
I don't really understand . . .

There are 120 HIDDEN Green stars ... probably every star actualy have 2 stars or even more... and when you get those you unlock OR the Special World or what probably is : the GrandMaster Galaxy

in other words : 240 UNIQUE stars

So ... it not only is Mario Galaxy 2 ... it is mario galaxy 3 also =P

pakkit

Banned
patrickthehedgehog said:
A 9.25 from Game Informer kept your friends from getting this game? :lol

zigg

patrickthehedgehog said:
This might be flame bait, but what is it that keeps a game like this from getting a higher score than Red Dead Redemption in Game Informer?

The inability of their reviewers to handle motion control, and their desire to whip through the game as fast as possible (they specifically complained about having to go back and get more stars from comets to beat the game.)

pakkit said:
A 9.25 from Game Informer kept your friends from getting this game? :lol

No. But I feel like if it would have been higher then it wouldn't have been "A great Mario game...as usual" and more like "Game of forever" as I sure it deserves having played the first.

Vitet

patrickthehedgehog said:
No. But I feel like if it would have been higher then it wouldn't have been "A great Mario game...as usual" and more like "Game of forever" as I sure it deserves having played the first.

Buy them the EDGE

Empty

patrickthehedgehog said:

Well Nintendo aren't exactly going to announce the next Mario or Zelda game through a game informer cover.

or there could be two separate reviewers who had their own takes on each game and respond to different things. read the reviews, find out if game informer's take gells with how you feel. 9.25 is still a really great score

WillyFive

patrickthehedgehog said:

You shouldn't be trusting Game Informer. For anything.

Miau

Neo Member
MYE said:
Whoever gets the game first, rip the OST and YT it, PLEASEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS. Can't wait to hear the music without those fucking SFX that insist in not letting me appreciate the music in all its full glory.

I support Shiggy and his idea of an option that lets us mute sound effects. :p

Platy said:
There are 120 HIDDEN Green stars ... probably every star actualy have 2 stars or even more... and when you get those you unlock OR the Special World or what probably is : the GrandMaster Galaxy

in other words : 240 UNIQUE stars

So ... it not only is Mario Galaxy 2 ... it is mario galaxy 3 also =P
Sooooo . . .
are these stars on their OWN unique levels or are they just retreads of the past 120 but put in different places?

Thats what I don't get. :/

mr.beers

Black-Wind said:
Sooooo . . .
are these stars on their OWN unique levels or are they just retreads of the past 120 but put in different places?

I'm thinking retreads. I would like to be proven wrong.

Platy

Black-Wind said:
Sooooo . . .

what I understood was :

They are just retreats ... the 240 is divided in the 64 worlds (including bowser/unlockable ones)

120 hidden stars "helps" to unlock a new galaxy, wich is probably the "Grandmaster Galaxy", but i really doubt this galaxy has much more than ... 5 stars =P

cvxfreak

I just tried to play my North American copy of Galaxy on my Japanese Wii using TinyLoad and it failed. :(

NSMB Wii works though, so I'll continue my Mario marathoning with that game for now. :(

Platy said:
what I understood was :

They are just retreats ... the 240 is divided in the 64 worlds (including bowser/unlockable ones)

120 hidden stars "helps" to unlock a new galaxy, wich is probably the "Grandmaster Galaxy", but i really doubt this galaxy has much more than ... 5 stars =P

That would be complete bull shit and I have to ask them to give me my fucking Yoshi Galaxy :mad:

They should have compromised with the people on the team saying that Yoshi should be controlled with out Mario . . .

Azure J

FUCK ALL OF YOU TALKING IN FLUENT SPOILER TAG. I was brutally spoiled on another forum on the spoiler (oh my Christ it was like I was 10 years old and got my Christmas Day N64 again... And the music... :O____), but I will not break and read anymore on this game! :lol

I just feel so out of place though since everyone's talking about the spoilers now. D:

Platy

AzureJericho said:
FUCK ALL OF YOU TALKING IN FLUENT SPOILER TAG. I was brutally spoiled on another forum on the spoiler (oh my Christ it was like I was 10 years old and got my Christmas Day N64 again... And the music... :O____), but I will not break and read anymore on this game! :lol

I just feel so out of place though since everyone's talking about the spoilers now. D:

You have to understand ...they released the explanation to the 120+ stars stuff, the name of every galaxy, the amount of worlds and stuffs like that .... all in one link !

I even think that any NEWS that could be spoiled already was spoiled =P
...of course now there are videos and musics and ...

Hmm, I'll be interested to see how the stars are distributed, particularly in regards to Bowser levels, comets, and possible one-off challenge galaxies

Doorman

AzureJericho said:

It's okay man, you're not the only one trying to remain spoiler free. I still haven't technically ruined "the spoiler" for myself yet, although I can infer enough from what people have been saying to make a good guess at it. At any rate, I refuse to watch any video or listen to the music, no matter how godlike everyone is saying it is.

And I'm not going anywhere NEAR those 120 star discussions...interesting though that it seems to be bringing some manner of debate.

Piano

Banned
Platy said:
Theoricaly there are in the iwata asks ... remeber THE spoiler from pages back ?
Whoa. I hadn't seen that yet. Whoa. Whoa whoa whoa.
hope the throwback galaxy covers more levels!

zigg said:
(they specifically complained about having to go back and get more stars from comets to beat the game.)
That's baffling. I was glued to the game. Absolutely glued to it. I was going back and getting comet stars immediately after they appeared. Eventually (today) I had to ignore them and push forward so I could see the final level, but I had so many stars already just from the pure joy of getting them that I easily cleared all of the gates.

TheEastonator said:
Whoa. I hadn't seen that yet. Whoa. Whoa whoa whoa.
hope the throwback galaxy covers more levels!

Well, you can see other planetoids in it, so it seems there will be...

Plus
there's also Flash Back Galaxy

Hiltz

Sorry if this was already posted, but Famitsu review gave Super Mario Galaxy a 37/40 score with a break down of 10/9/9/9.

To compare, Famitsu gave the orignial Super Mario Galaxy a 38/40.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hiltz said:
Sorry if this was already posted, but Famitsu review gave Super Mario Galaxy a 37/40 score with a break down of 10/9/9/9.

you can always count on famitsu for, like.. everything.

Doorman

Hiltz said:

Kind of funny when you consider some of the scores they've been handing out this generation. I guess they believe that Bayonetta is better than Galaxy 2?

(this is not meant as a complaint, I think it's a fine score...I guess it's just amusing to me how two of the potentially best games of the generation both miss out on the 40-train that seems to have been hitting more stations lately)

swerve

TheUnknownForce said:
From the wording of the Prima thing, I have one theory/concern:

The Green stars are not secret stars, but rather, are time attack stars

That's not a concern for me. That'd be amazing.

But I don't think you're right anyway. The guide explicitly says 'find', not 'get' or 'achieve'.

So it really is SMW in 3D...
HOLYSHIT SPECIAL STAGES as a reward at the end of the game
this-kid-is-awesome.jpg

CaVaYeRo said:
Martinet video (Spanish):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psBzID7MXqk

We took another one with him dubbing a play in 'real time' and some stuff from the 1UP duet mini-concert. I'll share when it's done ;)

Thanks for the videos, its really awesome watching Martinet talking in fluent spanish.
Was the entrance to show Mario Galaxy in Madrid only for the press?, I would have love if I could go there, im a fan of Charles Martinet.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
TheUnknownForce said:
From the wording of the Prima thing, I have one theory/concern:

The Green stars are not secret stars, but rather, are time attack stars
Well, if
that means that the time attack star slots in the first 120 are freed up for more original stars
than I'm all for it.
Actually, I wouldn't mind if
the second 120 were all of the comet runs, so that the first 120 were all original

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So, if I am to understand this right (about the star count...):

There were only 3 green stars in Mario Galaxy, and they were part of the 120 star count, but in Mario Galaxy 2, there are 120 green stars, in a separate category from the 120 "regular" stars?

Top Bottom