• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Shiggy

Kandinsky said:
I completely agree with you there, it looks kinda barren, washed out, pale and lifeless, idk how to explain, maybe its the sky and water, needs more blue.

D:

It looks like a next-gen game: grey.

BowieZ

Banned
Empty said:
I've realised my mistake. I confused the boss with the drill from the Galaxy 2 trailer with megaleg from Galaxy 1, then put that with the 90/10 thing and assumed we would have some recycled levels with new items, and never managed to correct that perception in the year since the game was announced because i've been avoiding previews etc. Stupid me.
Well yeah, we all thought that at first, don't worry :p

Kandinsky said:
I completely agree with you there, it looks kinda barren, washed out, pale and lifeless, idk how to explain, maybe its the sky and water, needs more blue.
The level looks beautiful to me :/ even considering the stony grey
Whomp brick
theme, but the cloudy sky obviously doesn't help things, I agree.

theluma

Shiggy said:
No, because that level was always grey.

It just looks washed out compared to the rest of the game, the old textures just can't quite look as colourful I guess, even though that doesn't make sense to me :/

Vinci

Danish
Kandinsky said:

D:

To be fair, I thought that back then and I think that way now, though it especially pales in comparison to what the rest of Galaxy 2 looks like.

rhino4evr

Scythesurge said:
The only reason I regret buying this game on Amazon is because I'll have to wait longer to play it. I want it now!!!
Go to best buy the day it's released buy it and keep the receipt.

When amazon finally delivers yours return the unopened copy for a full refund..use the I already got this as a gift. Just make sure you keep that receipt otherwise you will only get store credit. Also don't wait a week to return it. Do it right away.

I've done this several times to get the best deal online as well as getting the game on release...

This game looks absolutely fantastic. Seriously, how is Nintendo ever going to top Galaxy 1 and 2 come next gen? They're going to need one hell of a concept.

Shiggy

Kandinsky said:
Joke post? go google that level, it was never this gray.

I can only speak of the DS version though. There the textures look as if the walls are composed of many small bricks. But it looks way more greyish. In SMG it looks more like beige and brown.

Edit: Just getting back to SM64DS, I remember why I hate the game...the controls are awful.

Vinci

Danish
civilstrife said:
This game looks absolutely fantastic. Seriously, how is Nintendo ever going to top Galaxy 1 and 2 come next gen? They're going to need one hell of a concept.

Mario Universe.

Or, from my warped mind... Mario Quanta.

BowieZ

Banned
civilstrife said:
I absolutely refuse to discuss this question in this thread -- I've certainly had my fair share of discussions about this on GAF in the past year -- so no need to stress (I won't go there), but perhaps it's a fair question to ask this:

As Super Mario Galaxy 2 impendingly comes to a close, is it not worth in the very near future starting an all-purpose discussion thread on future mainstream Mario game ideas/preferences etc? This, of course, presumes that E3 2010 reveals nothing about SMG2's successor, or rather, presumes that the inevitable Mario 3DS is not considered the spiritual successor.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GameStop is opening at 9am in the states on Sunday for Galaxy 2.

MisterHero

Kandinsky said:

D:
I can attempt to explain it.

spoiler'd in case someone is still on media blackout :lol

Super Mario 64's camera is automated to a certain point but when following Mario, is usually closer to the ground than in Galaxy. SM64's camera controllability including being able to scale really far out and simulate the feeling of depth, while also being able to focus on action more than SMG's camera.

SMG's lighting is more complex than 64's, and every now and then while everything is illuminated in 64, have actual lights/shadows in SMG. Whomp's Fortress as redesigned doesn't look like it work the way SMG creates its environments, unless they wanted to add more light sources.

The scaling of the objects is different. In SM64, the coins are smaller and the environment is more rigid, which creates the feeling of more space. Some of the platforms are larger/smaller.

SM64 plays more on the concept of weight. Mario can get hurt from falls, playing the game feels like it has more weight, whereas in Galaxy Mario can jump into orbit and control his jumps even more with the spin move.

All of these in combination would make any SM64 environment feel smaller/more archaic/otherwise "off" when given SMG's gameplay/presentation.

I can't really explain the choice of the background though. Probably just to have that retro feel. Though yeah I can understand what you're saying.

Here's a comparison pic if anyone wants (forgot to shrink N64 pic to respective resolution).

http://i45.tinypic.com/2rzqdy8.jpg

Piano

Banned
To those who have played it: is it less linear than Galaxy 1? One of the things I really liked about Mario 64 was that you could accidentally (or purposefully) get the stars in a level out of order by wandering around.

Scribble

It would also involve plenty of warp pipes. Oh, and one level would be based on the SMB movie.

After that, we'll get Super Mario Virtual Reality.

Peff

Huh, appropiate title change. My Wii was so shocked by the coming of this game that it actually became useless. Ah, well, how long does it usually take for the dvd drive to be repaired?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Feep said:
Stupid title change. Reeks of console fanboyism from the mods.

Pretty much the typical bullshit that would get anybody else banned.

wrowa

Whoever changed this thread title should be ashamed of his- or herself >3

Honestly, what a stupid title change. Unnecessary, not funny and not appropriate to Galaxy 2 in any way.

ZeoVGM

Banned
What a completely childish thread title change. It's basically asking for drama and arguments to be brought into the thread. That's the type of troll baiting that would either get someone banned or at least get a mod to change the title.

But yes, it's okay for certain mods to troll, apparently.

CassSept

Worst. Title. Change. EVER.

Stupid fanboyism and retarded "dusty Wii" jokes do not belong to the official thread of peace, love and game of the forever. "The Thread" was just fine, why did you have to destroy it, WHYYYYY

wrowa

Cosmozone said:
Too similar. :-/ Pretty surprising to me that people are so excited about it. I'm hoping there are many new quirks to it.
It's kind of funny that no one has problems with direct sequels as long as it isn't a 3D Mario game that gets one. I've never heard so many "too similar"-saying people just because a new game is a direct sequel. Normally people don't have a problem with that at all or at least not to this degree.

Nabs

WHERE'S THE LOVE AND PEACE

14x2zuu.jpg

*throws chair*

Dr.Hadji

Wow, I almost skipped over the thread thanks to the title change. I'll get to wishin on another title change for you guys.
*wish wish wish*

Top Bottom