• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Kard8p3

[Nintex] said:
I've played and collected 39 stars at Nintendo today. I'm blown away, feel free to ask about worlds 1-3 I can't tell anything about what happens beyond that due to the NDA I had to sign in order to play.

I just have one questions for you. How amazing is the orchestrated version of Koopa Road?

Nicktals said:
Just started reading, but wanted to point out the first part of the first sentence:

"Many of you are probably aware of the fact that the original Super Mario Galaxy 2 ..."

Still looking forward to reading the rest!
D'oh!

SpacePirate Ridley said:
But may I ask, its there a rendition of the SMW castle theme in orchestra?, if it appears im just thinking it will be in the last bowser galaxy, but if you hear it any moment, just give here the good news! :D
Haven't yet heard that particular song, but I promise to return and provide my thoughts as soon as I reach it. Shouldn't be too much longer.

Kard8p3,

Just about to reach that point I believe. I will let you know. :)

Miau said:
Can you rip the soundtrack? Please?

You probably can't but you can't blame me for trying
I wish. You are going to love the Fluffy Bluff Galaxy theme, though I know you have already heard it in some fashion via off-screen camera.

CassSept said:
How fucking awesome is that game?
Your modifying adjective hardly even begins to describe my current thoughts. But I reserve judgment until I am sufficiently far into the experience!

I'll be sure to troll this thread for replies and hopefully answer more of your Q's until that point in time. I may even be doing yet another impressions article at, say, 50 stars if you guys would enjoy that. :)

Oh--and thanks for reading everyone! It means a lot.

~os

Shiggy

I'll be sure to troll this thread for replies and hopefully answer more of your Q's until that point in time. I may even be doing yet another impressions article at, say, 50 stars if you guys would enjoy that. :)

Yes!

Holy mother fucking shit! Deja-vu!
Just beautiful!

Oh my god the music.

So maybe this is not the final special galaxy, or if it is there are more
Mario retro stages from other games
, so Nintendo doesnt consider it a spoiler.

Vitet

Wow I just realized about the 120 completion secret
This game is a lot like Super Mario World. Besides Yoshi's stuff, music and all that, if you get the super secret green stars (Star World in SMW) you can get to a "Special" extra galaxy. You even get to that spinning from a star in SMW too :lol

Vitet said:
Wow I just realized about the 120 completion secret
This game is a lot like Super Mario World. Besides Yoshi's stuff, music and all that, if you get the super secret green stars (Star World in SMW) you can get to a "Special" extra galaxy. You even get to that spinning from a star in SMW too :lol

Yep, its like sex... I mean SMW in 3D.

[Nintex]

Kard8p3 said:
I just have one questions for you. How amazing is the orchestrated version of Koopa Road?
Amazing, simply amazing, I turned the volume up and the guy next to me was like 'wat' and then everyone was like.. wow so amazing.

and I said: "Yeah, they did orchestrate this for a reason you know!"

Kard8p3

[Nintex] said:
Amazing, simply amazing, I turned the volume up and the guy next to me was like 'wat' and then everyone was like.. wow so amazing.

and I said: "Yeah, they did orchestrate this for a reason you know!"

Well I figured it would be amazing but just knowing for a fact that it is has caused the hype to skyrocket. How was the actual level and boss fight with bowser?

[Nintex]

Kard8p3 said:
Well I figured it would be amazing but just knowing for a fact that it is has caused the hype to skyrocket. How was the actual level and boss fight with bowser?
Some spoilers ahead so read at your own risk...

I noticed that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a lot more challenging that the first. The World 2 boss Galaxy was about as difficult as the final level of Super Mario Galaxy, perhaps even harder at some points. It takes quite a while to get up to Bowser and once you face him he certainly isn't a pushover. He punches at the small planet you're walking on and two meteorites fly up, you have to jump on the meteors and butt stomp them towards Bowser. It takes quite a steady aim and you only have a split second to carry out this move. The other bosses in the game are more challenging than pretty much any boss in Super Mario Galaxy. For starters they take about 6 hits before they go down and the Dragon Boss we've seen on many screenhots had some cool tricks up his sleeve. Overall the game impressed me more than I expected and I was freaking hyped for this. As I'm typing this I wan't to go back to Nintendo and play some more. :lol

Also that slide in Tall Trunk Galaxy was goooooooood

Kard8p3

[Nintex] said:
Some spoilers ahead so read at your own risk...

I noticed that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a lot more challenging that the first. The World 2 boss Galaxy was about as difficult as the final level of Super Mario Galaxy, perhaps even harder at some points. It takes quite a while to get up to Bowser and once you face him he certainly isn't a pushover. He punches at the small planet you're walking on and two meteorites fly up, you have to jump on the meteors and butt stomp them towards Bowser. It takes quite a steady aim and you only have a split second to carry out this move. The other bosses in the game are more challenging than pretty much any boss in Super Mario Galaxy. For starters they take about 6 hits before they go down and the Dragon Boss we've seen on many screenhots had some cool tricks up his sleeve. Overall the game impressed me more than I expected and I was freaking hyped for this. As I'm typing this I wan't to go back to Nintendo and play some more. :lol

Also that slide in Tall Trunk Galaxy was goooooooood

Sunday feels so far away now. I need this game 4 months ago.

[Nintex]

Kard8p3 said:
Sunday feels so far away now. I need this game 4 months ago.
I need to wait till june 11th to play this again. It feels like something has been taken from me :(

Luckily I still have Alan Wake, but damn, I didn't expect that actually playing the game would make the waiting game even harder.

Empty

just beat galaxy 1 again on 105 stars.

and yep, it's still the best fucking game. that last level especially, my god. the ending is quite amusing now i know there is a SMG2, the whole thing about rebirth and there being new, different galaxies growing after defeating bowser.

mr.beers

bytesized said:
God, SMG is my favourite game ever and for what I'm reading this is even better? WHAT THE FUCK, NINTENDO? How do they do it???!!

Sunshine and rainbow sprinkles covered with awesome sauce from unicorn tears.

[Nintex]

One thing I noticed about Super Mario Galaxy 2 is that there are less planetoids now. There's more platforms, Mario 64 like environnments with pure platforming and some galaxies feel more like the secret stages from Super Mario Sunshine. The gravity feature still plays a big part in the game but there are less: "Look you can run around planets!" moments.

Also, remember the
swimming in the sky from
Jungle beat

it's in the game.. oh god its there....

Empty

[Nintex] said:
I've played and collected 39 stars at Nintendo today. I'm blown away, feel free to ask about worlds 1-3 I can't tell anything about what happens beyond that due to the NDA I had to sign in order to play.

In the first trailer they showed some recycled environments with things like the drill in them, how much of what you are allowed to talk about was completely new?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
[Nintex] said:
One thing I noticed about Super Mario Galaxy 2 is that there are less planetoids now. There's more platforms, Mario 64 like environnments with pure platforming and some galaxies feel more like the secret stages from Super Mario Sunshine. The gravity feature still plays a big part in the game but there are less: "Look you can run around planets!" moments.

This disappoints me. Blah.

[Nintex]

Empty said:
In the first trailer they showed some recycled environments with things like the drill in them, how much of what you are allowed to talk about was completely new?
I've not seen anything recycled apart from a couple of goomba's or power-ups.

Also, the garbage bombs are gone but you now have to destroy boxes with the fire flower.
Shiggy said:
Nintex, did you see any fluffy grass?
I did see fluffy animals but sadly no fluffy grass :(
The texture work is improved and the new models seem to have more polygons.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Has it been mentioned here if that supplemental DVD thing comes with the US version of the game? If so is it basically throwaway material if youve ever played Mario Galaxy 1?

BowieZ

Banned
Empty said:
You're right. I think i'm going bonkers; maybe it was something Miyamoto said at E3 about the game having 90% new stuff, which led me to think that, or i could be going totally mad here.
10% recycled meant Spring suit, Fire suit, Ghost suit, Bee suit, goombas, coins, 1-ups, galaxy concept etc were all returning.

It was always going to be 100% new levels, though.

[Nintex]

EatChildren said:
This disappoints me. Blah.
You shouldn't be dissapointed, there's still plenty of planetoids to go around, but the areas are only planetoids if it's necessary to use the gravity for puzzles or platforming. Not to mention that it adds more variety to the game and one planetoid area was like...

A miniature galaxy/milky way of spinning rocks/planetoids that you had to climb, so awesome. Not to mention that planetoids are mixed with the drills and such for even more gravitational fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
[Nintex] said:
You shouldn't be dissapointed, there's still plenty of planetoids to go around, but the areas are only planetoids if it's necessary to use the gravity for puzzles or platforming. Not to mention that it adds more variety to the game and one planetoid area was like...

A miniature galaxy/milky way of spinning rocks/planetoids that you had to climb, so awesome. Not to mention that planetoids are mixed with the drills and such for even more gravitational fun.

I like rounds things. Let me sulk.

Really I'm just moody I have to wait until July 1st.

WillyFive

Empty said:
You're right. I think i'm going bonkers; maybe it was something Miyamoto said at E3 about the game having 90% new stuff, which led me to think that, or i could be going totally mad here.

90% new stuff was an answer to how much assets from the original game that couldn't make it will make it in the sequel.

10% cut content from Mario Galaxy, which already existed before they started making SMG2.

And the 90% new stuff they added on top of that while making SMG2.

The percentages can't really be that accurate though. He probably just said it on the spot.

Davey Cakes

I've actually been wondering this: for those who've played, does the "Super Mario Galaxy 2 theme" (the one they've been using in the commercials and whatnot) still include the Gusty Garden part like it did in the E3 '09 trailer?

Rash said:
I've actually been wondering this: for those who've played, does the "Super Mario Galaxy 2 theme" (the one they've been using in the commercials and whatnot) still include the Gusty Garden part like it did in the E3 '09 trailer?
Not in that particular galaxy it doesn't, but the Gusty Garden theme is all over the game, so don't worry about that. :)

rhino4evr

MiamiWesker said:
So after 120 stars
you get 120 new unique stars in the same levels. HOOOOLY SHIIIT!

right...and once you
collect those stars a new galaxy opend up for even more stars!!!

I just hope the
green stars
arent too tedious.

Empty

BowieZ said:
10% recycled meant Spring suit, Fire suit, Ghost suit, Bee suit, goombas, coins, 1-ups, galaxy concept etc were all returning.

It was always going to be 100% new levels, though.

I've realised my mistake. I confused the boss with the drill from the Galaxy 2 trailer with megaleg from Galaxy 1, then put that with the 90/10 thing and assumed we would have some recycled levels with new items, and never managed to correct that perception in the year since the game was announced because i've been avoiding previews etc. Stupid me.

holy shit, though. game of the forever status confirmed again in my mind.

theluma

New gameplay showing some Ghost Levels and a bowser castle level, including a bowser boss (same one on GTTV a while back as far as I can see) and the AMAZING orchestrated Mario 64 castle theme (Koopa Road) http://j.mp/c3hR4b

Kandinsky

Vinci said:
Yup. Still looks drab and lifeless to me. That is literally the only part of this game I'm not looking forward to.
I completely agree with you there, it looks kinda barren, washed out, pale and lifeless, idk how to explain, maybe its the sky and water, needs more blue.

D:

Top Bottom