• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

BowieZ

Banned
IGN said:
The Super Mario Galaxy 2 review is being written as you read this tweet. Look for it on the interwebs soon...
I wonder how much money they make while people sit on their front page hitting F5. The review probably won't be up for a good while :lol but we'll see.

Rash said:
There's also the "waaahhh I don't like motion controls" bit that Game Informer pulled. That one just ticks me off, and I'll probably just personally add a single point to any review that complains about motion/pointer/Wiimote-based controls, since they didn't bug me in the first place. I already enjoyed ball-rolling, ray-surfing, flick-attacking, and everything involving the pointer in SMG. Can't see how the controls can be worse in the second game. It'll end up being a subjective thing once again.

"I don't like motion controls" is a valid criticism. It's clearly a subjective opinion and one that I do not share, but I have no qualms with people expressing opinions in reviews as long as they are presented as such. I don't like people making shit up in their reviews, however. For instance, GameInformer's complaints about unresponsive controls seem completely off base. It would appear as though GameInformer blamed "waggle" because they couldn't understand simple concepts like momentum and inertia.

Magnus

Cloud Mario rules beyond words. Every new mechanic and power has just superb, intuitive control. This game nails it every time.

Yousefb

dammmmmn I'm soo tempted to buy a black Wii with SMG2 now, really should be saving my money at the moment though.. what a dilemma :lol

boiled goose

good with gravy
Dacvak said:
YO GAF.

I wrote and recorded this purely for fun. The only reason I'm uploading it is because a friend said I should post it on GAF. =P

Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xKpYCe6QA

Keep in mind I've never rapped before in my life. =P

too good. just watched it again.

Perfect balance of rap swearing without being obnoxious.
Only line I don't like is the vacuum one. :p everything else is great!

Really like how it even works well with the track.

just needs a video now. maybe some appropriate footage from the games that matches the lyrics.

DO IT GAF!

Weenerz said:
Are there any streams of this being played atm? I need a fix!

Hook it directly to my veins!

othersteve said:
My review is live!

I hope it answers all of your burning questions about the game's quality. Never did I think I'd see the day where a sequel work like this...

~os

Another great read.

i_23063.jpg

Simply beautiful.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
amtentori said:
too good. just watched it again.

Perfect balance of rap swearing without being obnoxious.
Only line I don't like is the vacuum one. :p everything else is great!

Really like how it even works well with the track.
Lol, I tried to find a decent balance.

Fair enough on the vacuum line. It's the only one that breaks the couplet pattern, so I could see that.
I just wanted some line that would dig deep into Luigi. Poor guy. XP

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
othersteve said:
My review is live!

I hope it answers all of your burning questions about the game's quality. Never did I think I'd see the day where a sequel work like this...

~os
Awesome review. I need to figure out a relatively safe way to pass out tonight and wake up on Sunday.

BowieZ

Banned
Dacvak said:
Awesome review. I need to figure out a relatively safe way to pass out tonight and wake up on Sunday.
Yeah, I might have to look into getting a 40-day-long induced coma. That way pakkit can be happy too! :lol

BowieZ

Banned
So Escapist gave it 5 stars out of 5 and Wired gave it 9 blue dots out of 10

Wired said:
WIRED: A new surprising gameplay twist every few minutes, great nostalgic moments, deep challenges if you want them.

TIRED: Thinner presentation occasionally feels like Mario Galaxy 1.5.

Magnus

Dear Super Mario Galaxy 2,

Thank you for letting me hit your bosses more than two or three times each to kill them. They are longer and more satisfying fights. Yay!

Now please make their weaknesses less obvious. :lol

-Magnus

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i'll save you guys the trouble of giving them a hit, it's a 10 from IGN

CLOSING COMMENTS
I think the one thing you should take away from this review: Super Mario Galaxy 2 wholly exceeded my expectations. Leading up to the game’s release I hadn’t expected much more than simply “more of the same.” I loved the original Super Mario Galaxy, but the company would have to do something pretty special to really “wow” me.
Consider me “wowed.” Again. Yes, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is more of what made the original so amazingly good: brilliant gravity platfoming. Incredibly tight and responsive controls. Fantastic musical score. But it’s not a “me too” experience -- a significant majority of this sequel is brand new. New level challenges, new gameplay mechanics, new (and incredible) orchestral pieces. All done up in a package that streamlines the classic Mario experience: a straightforward presentation, a much more intelligent camera system, and a rewarding progression that opens up some seriously devious and fulfilling level challenges.

Mario has always been a universally appealing game design and Nintendo has done an incredible job to make sure its key franchise is just as accessible to gamers of all walks of life. Most of all, Super Mario Galaxy 2 perfectly captures that classic videogame charm, the reason why most of us got into gaming from the start.

Dacvak

WOW @ IGN.

Jesus.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
New thread title confirmed:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is Just as Good as MGS4 and GTA4 Thread of IGN Gave It A 10/10

bridegur

As much as I distrust IGN, that review somehow managed to make me even more excited than I was.

Has the actual reward for collecting all stars been revealed?

bridegur said:
As much as I distrust IGN, that review somehow managed to make me even more excited than I was.

Has the actual reward for collecting all stars been revealed?
You mean all stars, or just all stars?
;-) :p

Top Bottom