• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

jacksrb

I know that there is a $20 card available at WalMart and Amazon (online only).
Amazon Deal
WalMart Deal

Anyone know if Toys R Us will be offering a $25 card with purchase like they did for Galaxy 1? If so, would that be on Sunday or Tuesday?

I would like to just get it in store on Sunday instead of waiting for shipping, if possible.

Sorry if the deal information isn't kosher in this thread...

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
YO GAF.

I wrote and recorded this purely for fun. The only reason I'm uploading it is because a friend said I should post it on GAF. =P

Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xKpYCe6QA

Keep in mind I've never rapped before in my life. =P

Sadist

Dacvak said:
YO GAF.

I wrote and recorded this purely for fun. The only reason I'm uploading it is because a friend said I should post it on GAF. =P

Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xKpYCe6QA

Keep in mind I've never rapped before in my life. =P
rlwe55.jpg

Magnus

akskiller said:
Have a decent PC? You should try Dolphin. :)
I don't have the equipment I'm sure is necessary to use a sensor bar or the wiimote/nunchuk with my PC, nor desire to
move my PC over to the TV every time I wish to play, haha. But I'll look into it I guess.

GK86 said:
Look what was waiting for me at home(not as exciting as already having SMG 2 tho!). :D

0520101846-1.jpg

I'm really glad my Wii has been fucking up for a while now. Takes for-ever to load games sometimes. Time for a new one I guess... *whistles*

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Thanks for the positive comments, guys. :D I wasn't sure if anyone would like it.

Nabs

Poor Luigi.

This thread finally feels like a Mario thread.

oh and guys, remember to check the Dolphin thread for some nice x1080 Galaxy 1 screens. If Galaxy 2 works w/o major tweaks, we'll have a ton more during the week :D

Dacvak

Jive Turkey said:
Well done. Reminds me of Duane & BrandO.
Absolutely the inspiration, there. I'm a huge fan.

Magnus

Man, the early level and boss design reminds me of mid-to-late game SMG1. This is definitely made for fans of the first who just wanted more more more.

I feared Yoshi controls were going to be something of a mess, but wow, they're anything but.

Why can't anyone else nail play control and camera work like Nintendo can with this game series? Phenomenal.

Oh, and regarding Yoshi:
When you hop on, the light percussion kicks in, same as SMW.

It's fucking perfect. :D

Forkball

This thread is getting me hyped, so I started to play SMG today. Shit these comets are hard. I'm trying to do the daredevil comet for Melty Molten Galaxy. It seems pretty easy, but in reality it makes me want to pull my hair out.

Nabs said:
Poor Luigi.

This thread finally feels like a Mario thread.

oh and guys, remember to check the Dolphin thread for some nice x1080 Galaxy 1 screens. If Galaxy 2 works w/o major tweaks, we'll have a ton more during the week :D

Wow! 0_0

Hiltz

I wonder if SMG 2 will receive even better reviews than the first game.

It already seems to have taken out the three things I disliked most about the first game: The hub world, the garbage bomb throwing and manta ray surfing mini games.

theluma

Hiltz said:

It already seems to have taken out the three things I disliked most about the first game: The hub world, the garbage bomb throwing and manta ray surfing mini games.

It's a sequel, so almost guaranteed it will get worse reviews. Cause the industry is stupid like that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hiltz said:

Guarentied to be lower. The overall quality of the game, even relative to the first, wont stop reviewers docking the score because its "just more Galaxy" or some other such stupid shit.

I dont think it will score much lower, but because its not the first it will always be a little behind.

Hiltz

I guess your right about that. It's unfortunate that the industry thinks that way even if a sequel sports potentially more refined gameplay and is just more enjoyable overall.

Maron

InfiniteNine said:
YOU SON OF A BITCH

Remind me again, who's the one that gets to experience Mario Galaxy for the first time and then subsequently play Galaxy 2 with a new black Wii? :lol

bridegur

It's crazy to me that this is only the 4th 3D Mario game in 14 years and there's a chance critics might consider it "the same old" or "tired."

Hiltz said:

One of the only things I truly hated about Galaxy 1 was that trash blowing up, un-fun nonsense.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Speevy said:
Magnus, do you install your games via a USB loader?

If so, could you let people know how that goes?

I'm guessing it will have the same protection as Prince of Persia.

Davey Cakes

Hiltz said:
Truth.

The original Super Mario Galaxy had very few flaws to begin with, but it's worst aspects are being dealt with in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

I'm thinking that the sequel will get the same or lesser review scores because it's "just more Mario Galaxy," and I honestly have no problem with that as long as it's acknowledged. However, I can't see the game scoring worse for any reason other than the "more" factor if it fixes every tiny issue that people may have had with the first game. This new one has an improved camera (even though the one from before was already nearly perfect), a higher ratio of orchestrated to non-orchestrated music, more balls-to-the-wall level designs, more power ups, Yoshi, a streamlined world-select as opposed to a HUB, an improved two-player option, improved difficulty, the Cosmic Guide for players who aren't good enough to compensate for the higher difficulty, and more.

How this game could score lower than the first based on its own merits, as opposed to "sequelitis," from what we've merely seen and heard so far, would be mind boggling. There seems to be nothing about it that doesn't match up to the first game other than...I don't know...freshness? And even then, this game looks pretty fresh from its level designs anyway, even though the space setting is still in place.

Feep

Banned
Rash said:
Truth.

The original Super Mario Galaxy had very few flaws to begin with, but it's worst aspects are being dealt with in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

I'm thinking that the sequel will get the same or lesser review scores because it's "just more Mario Galaxy," and I honestly have no problem with that. However, I can't see the game scoring worse for any reason other than that if it fixes every tiny issue that people may have had with the first game. This new one has an improved camera (even though the one from before was already nearly perfect), a higher ratio of orchestrated to non-orchestrated music, more balls-to-the-wall level designs, more power ups, Yoshi, a streamlined world-select as opposed to a HUB, an improved two-player option, improved difficulty, the Cosmic Guide for players who aren't good enough to compensate for the higher difficulty, and more.

How this game could score lower than the first based on its own merits, as opposed to "sequelitis," from what we've merely seen and heard so far, would be mind boggling. There seems to be nothing about it that doesn't match up to the first game other than...I don't know...freshness? And even then, this game looks pretty fresh from its level designs anyway, even though the space setting is still in place.
Right, well, they don't give a shit.

That this game is almost objectively better then the first will be of no consequence.

Generic Video Game Reviewer said:
Galaxy 2, while amazing, is really just more of the same. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.

Final score: 9.2
A nearly flawless experience, but one that feels all too familiar.

Speevy

Banned
EatChildren said:
I'm guessing it will have the same protection as Prince of Persia.

I don't have that game.

Is it something that the USB loader creators can patch into their program and just let you upgrade, or do I have to take extra steps?

Top Bottom