• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

upandaway

BowieZ said:
Basically, if you superimpose Gusty over the top of Fluffy, you will get an amazing superorchestral piece of music.
Okay. It better turn out amazing.

Someone get on it!

Edit: Puzzle Plank is easily the best out of the 3 I've heard. I was really in the mood for some melodic stuff.

They're all kinda repetitive though. The loops are too short.

CassSept

OK, I completely didn't expect SMG2 to get 10 from IGN. Interesting, now I wonder what others will give it.

PS. With the new system update will it be possible to bypass it using homebrew channel? I'm importing it and I hope I will be able to play it :x

Sciz

upandaway said:
Edit: Puzzle Plank is easily the best out of the 3 I've heard. I was really in the mood for some melodic stuff.

They're all kinda repetitive though. The loops are too short.
Well, it is meant to be heard in-game, where Nintendo has all sorts of effects and dynamics being applied on the fly.

Vinci

Danish
othersteve said:
My review is live!

I hope it answers all of your burning questions about the game's quality. Never did I think I'd see the day where a sequel'd work like this...

~os

Hey, look, your review is very well-written. Might have to make traveling to your site more routine. Bravo, sir.

VegaShinra

Two more:
Escapist Review

Core gamers may be concerned about the Super Guide feature in Galaxy 2, fearing that it will let people finish the game without actually playing it, but that's not quite the reality. If you're a Mario veteran - by which I mean you've played any of them for any length of time- it's more than likely that you'll never see the Cosmic Guide who shows up to help out once you've died a lot. Believe me, I died plenty in preparation for this review - it is a Mario game, after all - and I never saw her. Even if you do finally give in and let the Cosmic Guide do the work for you, you're still going to have to go back and do it on your own eventually; the bronze star you get for taking the easy way out won't do jack for the ship's engines. So while it can be a great tutorial, it's not like you can just sit back and complete the game on autopilot.

Bottom Line: Super Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't tinker with the established formula very much, but we didn't really want it to. It's huge, brilliant, and gorgeous. It's why you started playing videogames in the first place.

Recommendation: If you didn't buy a Wii to play the last Mario Galaxy get one so that you can play Galaxy 2.
5/5

Examiner Review
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a better game than Super Mario Galaxy, and that’s saying a lot. It may not introduce anything too new and the new additions may be subtle, but the brilliant gameplay, perfect controls, and enchanting visuals, make this the best Mario game available. Toping off at around 30hrs of gameplay, there is still plenty to find and discover -- like comet coins which will open up new star to collect. It may not introduce any revolutionary new concepts like Mario Galaxy did in 2007, but it takes the foundation Galaxy set and expands to new heights that makes the entire game feel like a fresh and entirely new gaming experience.

Magical and pure ecstasy is the feeling you’ll experience throughout the entire game. In a world where graphics are king, it’s nice to see a game that emphasizes on addicting gameplay once again. If you want to feel like a child again and experience pure unadulterated bliss, Super Mario Galaxy 2 will deliver. Hands down the best release of 2010, so far.

Overall: 10/10

(Editor’s Note: Over 30hrs of game time was put into the title before reviewing.)

The Puzzle Plank track is pretty cool but it's not any better than what we got in Banjo-Kazooie. Maybe I was expecting something different based on all the hyperbole.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
BowieZ said:
It's a litttttle bit 20th Century in some places :lol

Anyway, Gusty Bluff Galaxy
Lol, man... Obviously it doesn't fit completely snug, but the similarities between the two are uncanny.

Pretty fucking cool, overall.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Kard8p3 said:
Seems that less of a focus on story than the original is what got it docked a point. I don't see the point of complaining about lack of story in a mario game but to each his own.

I kinda agree with him though. I thought SMG's story was nicely placed within the game. It added a nice little back story but if you didn't want to know about it then you didn't have to because you could easily just ignore it.

More games should be like that.

Not to mention I hold a soft spot in my heart for the Rosalina storybook.

Door2Dawn said:
Any review that says that SMG2 is just SMG 1.5 isn't worth the read.

How can anyone make that argument after all of the info/leaks and videos is beyond me.
He says the presentation is not an improvement, making that seem more like SMG1.5.

Read the words of the sentence

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Door2Dawn said:
Any review that says that SMG2 is just SMG 1.5 isn't worth the read.

How can anyone make that argument after all of the info/leaks and videos is beyond me.
'Brilliant Super Mario Galaxy 2 Full of Surprises'

uh-huh

Surprised that it got a 10/10 at IGN. I was expecting 9.8 to put it .1 above the first. As if I couldn't get more hyped. :D

The more I hear about the game, the better it sounds. I feel like Galaxy 2 will be one of those games where I just invite friends to play it once I've worn it out. If only to see the looks on their faces as they explore. Oh joy!

AniHawk

evilromero said:
I knew that if they stripped out the lame story and fixed the hub world the game would be significantly better. It sounds like Galaxy 2 is what we should have had the first time around.

Pretty much yeah

Vinci said:
bmf said:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/05/super-mario-galaxy-2-review/#more-24071

Kobun is going to get some needling for this - thus far the lowest score I've seen for the game.

This shall be dealt with.

csi_galaxy2.png

Instro

Interesting 10/10 from IGN, surprised actually. Doesnt really change anything for me since I've been pre-ordered since forever, but it would be pretty crazy if it matches the aggregate score of SMG1 or does better.

Vinci

Danish
Instro said:
Interesting 10/10 from IGN, surprised actually. Doesnt really change anything for me since I've been pre-ordered since forever, but it would be pretty crazy if it matches the aggregate score of SMG1 or does better.

It won't.

I'm a pessimist.

Can someone please spoil the real, REAL reward for getting absolutely everything in the game?

Just put it in some spoilers please, I want to know out of curiosity's sake, I'm buying the game and plowing through it at least twice anyway :D

cory

Banned
I wasn't really planning on buying a game this month, but the $20 Amazon credit and the reviews made me cave in.

Vinci

Danish
AniHawk said:
We could all pretend that the aggregates were accidentally switched, like I currently do for SMG and NSMBW.

I usually just pretend that any scores less than 95 for NSMB Wii were from websites created by Sony and Microsoft employees trying to drive down its Metacritic score - 'cause lets be honest, gamers actually appear to give a shit about such a thing - and yet these people were still mostly unable to completely write such an awesome experience off.

EDIT: I also sometimes pretend that Mario 64 and NSMB Wii's scores were switched in the way you suggested.

EDIT #2: I like to pretend a lot of things.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
AniHawk said:
an 8.0 because the story "was just for kids"? wtf
Who the hell cares? I'm 21 and I can appreciate something aimed at kids just fine. Playing through Galaxy for the first time right now, and I'm just fine with it. I think the Luma's talking about their mama is cute.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What are you doing IGN?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Ugh. I just found out my friend in New York has been playing it all day. :mad:

I'm determined to find a store that will break street date tomorrow.

batbeg

And yet some people still don't see it :(

Christ, the footage and music in that review is absolutely RIDICULOUS. I haven't even started my replay of SMG because my cousin keeps delaying our scheduled times for it, so I'm almost hoping Amazon takes a few days to ship it :lol

Vinci

Danish
AniHawk said:
Well christ I should hope so

Hell, even scientists have worked long hours developing sarcasm-detection software in order to render you obsolete. They still haven't quite developed anything for what AstroLad does to people though. Which is, at least, something.

Great Gametrailers review.

I guess I wasn't seeing why this game was that special with the other videos but this has done it.

No one makes games like Nintendo can when they want to but everyone knows that already.

Top Bottom