• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
bridegur said:
As much as I distrust IGN, that review somehow managed to make me even more excited than I was.

Has the actual reward for collecting all stars been revealed?

Think of Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
OHHH MYYY GOODDDD

Edit: I was honestly expecting IGN to give this a 9.9 just to be dicks, and say the reused content was the only thing holding it back. :lol

mr.beers

bridegur said:
As much as I distrust IGN, that review somehow managed to make me even more excited than I was.

Has the actual reward for collecting all stars been revealed?

Diddo, Craig had mentioned in the last podcast he wouldn't rank it higher than smg1 but he was only 60 stars in, I think, so the latter half must have blew his mind!

Buckethead said:
Are there any spoilers in the IGN video review?

Absolutely, almost immediately but I clicked another tab and listened they didn't spoil much of the music.

holy fuck, that's like 1 of what 3 or 4 games in years to get a 10 from IGN... Thank god Matt didn't review it, and left.. I have a feeling it would get the 9.9 bullshit treatment. hahahahaha. GO GALAXY!

This game is freakin' sweet and deserves all the praise it will get. I haven't had this much simple gaming fun since...the first Galaxy. Sooo polished, too.

Eteric Rice

IGN Commenter said:
how does this game get a 10 for graphics? in my opinion if you dont have a HD system you cannot get a 10 in graphics. Are you telling me that Uncharted 2, MGS4 or are on the same level graphically than Super mario Galaxy2??!

*hemmorages*

entremet

For New York GAF there are two launch events. A midnight launch at Best Buy at Union Square starting at 10pm on Saturday.

And the official Nintendo World Store launch on Sunday. Tempted to go the midnight launch.

Galaxy remains the game of the generation for me, and this just seems like more goodness.

Xux

FoxMcCloudDS said:
holy fuck, that's like 1 of what 3 or 4 games in years to get a 10 from IGN... Thank god Matt didn't review it, and left.. I have a feeling it would get the 9.9 bullshit treatment. hahahahaha. GO GALAXY!

Yeah, he probably would've rated it down for being a sequel.

entrement said:
For New York GAF there are two launch events. A midnight launch at Best Buy at Union Square starting at 10pm. And the official Nintendo World Store launch on Sunday. Tempted to go the midnight launch.

Don't you get swag at the NWS event?

Balb

Yeah IGN tends to rate everything really highly, but for whatever reason, a 10 from them means more to me than a "perfect score" from any other publication (outside of GTAIV).

MisterHero

batbeg said:
They showed Mario jump on a goombas head and I had to switch it off, it already spoiled too much.
Goomba_WUT.png

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I gotta admit I like how the Nintendo Team at IGN ran things this generation. A lot of great Wii games have come and gone, but Wii IGN never got so caught up in the hype and just plastered 10 all over when no game for the Wii (or any from this gen IMO) has deserved a 10 yet.

But now I seriously doubt another Wii game will be released that I consider better then SMG (and most likely 2 once I play it) so I have to applaud IGN for giving out a 10 to a Wii game that is not only the best on the system right now (going by it's predecessor), but most likely ten years down the road will still be considered the best.

Of course LOZ Wii (and maybe Other M) could come along and destroy all of that.

That is why is it still kinda sad to think Boz and Matt or gone, only leaving Craig now.

Alex

Hiltz said:
Holy crap! Ign gave it a 10 ?

It's over baby, Game of the Generation.

Now we wait for the haters to comment. :lol

It'll be a lot of fun, but your qualification for a favorite game is based around a review score...and that score is from IGN!?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Now I'm interested in what Gamespot will give it. I wonder if we'll get their review tomorrow or Monday since they are usually a little late.

upandaway

I don't dig Fantasia all that much. You guys are starting to lose it because of hype.

Sure the game will have awesome music, but Fantasia ain't it.

Balb

Plumbob said:
I was thinking about the ten too. The justification was basically "same beautiful engine" but SMG got a 9.5 in graphics.

Oh well, no biggie.

Pretty sure Matt gave it a 9.5 out of optimism that the Wii would later get games that looked way better than SMG. Sadly, he was mistaken.

I knew that if they stripped out the lame story and fixed the hub world the game would be significantly better. It sounds like Galaxy 2 is what we should have had the first time around.

upandaway said:
I don't dig Fantasia all that much. You guys are starting to lose it because of hype.

Sure the game will have awesome music, but Fantasia ain't it.
Lol no. The IGN review makes people lose it. Now IGN has "managed the Wii well this gen". Sounds like revisionism to me. :p

However, when I say I find the music awesome, also the one that's been linked to here under "fantasia", it means I find it awesome!

Altazor

upandaway said:
Yeah that's definitely better.

There's some part there that sounds like somewhere from Gusty Garden right? Am I imagining that?

it has basically the same structure and probably the same key (though I'm no music expert so I might be wrong on this), but no direct quotations. Let's say it's Gusty Garden's equivalent or something like that.

evilromero said:
I knew that if they stripped out the lame story and fixed the hub world the game would be significantly better. It sounds like Galaxy 2 is what we should have had the first time around.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

BowieZ

Banned
Can we stop calling it Fantasia? :lol That was just me posting a link with metaphorical facetiousness.

But seriously, Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla theme is amazing. <3 Boss level music in a major key.

Altazor said:
it has basically the same structure and probably the same key (though I'm no music expert so I might be wrong on this), but no direct quotations. Let's say it's Gusty Garden's equivalent or something like that.
Basically, if you superimpose Gusty over the top of Fluffy, you will get an amazing superorchestral piece of music.

Gomu Gomu

What's with gamers and their obsession with review scores? I mean if you're on the fence of buying a game, I guess you would want to see the scores and stuff. But we all know everyone here is getting it no matter what score site x gives it. Funny thing is, you see people actually shitting on reviewers if they give their hyped game a bad score :lol . Now THAT I'll never understand. a) The guy played the game, you didn't. b) people have different opinions, why so mad? . /OT rant.

Altazor

BowieZ said:
Basically, if you superimpose Gusty over the top of Fluffy, you will get an amazing superorchestral piece of music.

you should totally do that "remix". It would probably sound awesome.

Top Bottom