• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Feep

Banned
Reviews are popping up all over the damn place.

It may not beat Galaxy, but I don't know, reviews are even more positive then I thought they'd be. It'll certainly end up with an average of above 95%.

Not that I care. The only things I've seen points docked for are 1) Too Difficult (which is awesome), 2) Less focus on story (Fuck you storybook lovers, it was crap), and 3) More of the same (AWESOME). I haven't seen a single thing that would give me pause.

I am SO EXCITE @)(UR@)(FDU@JDFQKJF@)RF

I hadn't noticed before, but these videos drive something home: this game looks a lot better than SMG1. The textures look the same, but the lighting seems softer and smoother, and there's a lot more geometry and detail packed into each area. Improved art direction probably accounts for a good deal of that too.

mr.beers

Taxman said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/21/super-mario-galaxy-2-review/
First sentence: "Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best Mario game ever."

joystiq said:
"I won't say that it looks fantastic "for a Wii game" -- SMG2 looks fantastic for a game. Period.... The game is a feast for the eyes, even more so than the first, and is capped by a stirring orchestral score that's among the best I've heard."

I shall expect the podcast to discuss this game in detail, spoiler free of course. I get more impression from the spoken word more than written reviews.

HYPE!!

AniHawk said:
Probably not, but it'll be the highest rated expansion pack ever.
Agreed. Once they do something like taking out jumping or having a twisted plot in which Mario must fight Bowser's mentor, the one behind everything, then we can finally call it a sequel.

Weenerz

Banned
Are 1up video reviews always this awful? Why do they insist on showing us what these people look like, we wanna see game footage!

AniHawk

EmCeeGramr said:
Agreed. Once they do something like taking out jumping or having a twisted plot in which Mario must fight Bowser's mentor, the one behind everything, then we can finally call it a sequel.

or maybe it turns out that the reason Mario was jumping around these levels was due to some subliminal command he and the player were unaware they were receiving. That sounds like a good story idea to anchor a game to.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AniHawk said:
or maybe it turns out that the reason Mario was jumping around these levels was due to some subliminal command he and the player were unaware they were receiving. That sounds like a good story idea to anchor a game to.

The villain is a freaky four-eyed man called Pavlov.

MisterHero

AniHawk said:
I was playing a Mario game recently, and I think my jump sequence turned out to be Morse Code. Let's see...

BE SURE TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE

wat

Vinci

Danish
EmCeeGramr said:

Well, obviously, Mario would be able to jump... eventually. You know, after you get enough experience, level a few times. 'Jump' is a pretty powerful upgrade, so you really have to work for it.

Mael

Kulock said:
csi_galaxy2.png

There's so much sun in Vegas that he needs sunglasses on top of his sunglasses? :lol

Kard8p3 said:
Well this is a fantastically well written review

The Wii is a joke, or at least that’s how it often feels. In the past, we’ve gotten lots of mileage out of mocking the system and its mega-hits, like Wii Play, Game Party and (sigh) Just Dance. We still turn on our Wiis every now and then, mostly just to play the rare “real” games that get put on disc or come to WiiWare, like Cave Story did. But give us more Mario Galaxy and we hurriedly dust off the white wonder, install new batteries and get to waggling, no questions asked, as all the cynicism and bad feelings wash away.

Mael

ShockingAlberto said:
Well this is a fantastically well written review

I can only say that I'm ever so glad of not reading reviews anymore

Can someone posts a snipet of the fun guys of ign here?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kard8p3 said:

Gamesradar said:
The Wii is a joke, or at least that’s how it often feels. In the past, we’ve gotten lots of mileage out of mocking the system and its mega-hits, like Wii Play, Game Party and (sigh) Just Dance. We still turn on our Wiis every now and then, mostly just to play the rare “real” games that get put on disc or come to WiiWare, like Cave Story did. But give us more Mario Galaxy and we hurriedly dust off the white wonder, install new batteries and get to waggling, no questions asked, as all the cynicism and bad feelings wash away.

And why not? The first Galaxy has remained the best game for the system in the two-and-a-half years since its release. Once Super Mario Galaxy 2 was announced, we were filled with high hopes that at least something would be coming to the system that could keep up with competition, instead of merely side-stepping it with casual hits and exercise plans. But is Galaxy 2 what we hoped for? Or is it just microwaved leftovers from the brilliant first outing?

I understand they are trying to be positive about the game, but is all that bullshit really necessary?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
For some reason I've been sleeping on Galaxy 2. I think it's about time my hype started up. I'll have to get it with Wii component cables though, I will not play Galaxy 2 without them.

Vinci

Danish
Regulus Tera said:
I understand they are trying to be positive about the game, but is all that bullshit really necessary?

Well, you know... they're providing context so people who dislike the Wii won't take them to task for actually loving the game. "They gave Mario a 10?!! WTF?! Oh... well, yeah... okay, when you explain it like that... "

Top Bottom